PDA

View Full Version : Altered History: Naucratis

Pages : [1] 2

Ella
2010-05-26, 06:36 PM
Anaxagoras currently the head of the Military Academy of Naucratis and sitting member of the city council, sat on a rough stage in the dusty courtyard of the Military Academy, a building originally designed to help train young men in the arts of battle as required by law. When the city had been handed over to its Greek residents it had been because of their military prowess and willingness to serve the ruler of Egypt loyally. The hoplites of old however were less and less in demand, and the Military Academy had over time changed its purpose from training hoplites to finding and training Imperial Agents.

Unlike the usual students the six infront of him had only come to the academy for a matter of months to prove the skills they already had and gain certification. In exchange for this the students would serve the city for a further year of training and testing before finally being free to seek their future anywhere within the empire.

Anaxagoras cleared his throat. "It is with great honour I congratulate you in completing the part of your training within this Academy and offer you gifts to carry forwards into your future. I can only hope you all continue to hold yourselves to the high standards of behaviour and the rigorous training of skill that you have demonstrated in your time here. With that I ask you to all step forwards towards the stage and collect one of these golden daggers, I hope they symbolise what you will become."

To one side of the bundles sat nine golden daggers each with a different pommel lion, fox, jackal, ibex, deer, camel, raven, swan and finally ostrich.

Anaxagoras stands up infront of them and holds out his hand to point towards them, with his palm open as if presenting them, he waits for each graduate to make their selection.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 06:50 PM
I am honored and humbled by your words, my Lord. I shall do all within my power to justify the trust that was put in me.

Valleron will choose the Lion, honorable and strong.

esorscher
2010-05-26, 07:09 PM
Barian is simple in his gratitude. "Thank you, milord." he takes the dagger with the camel on the pommel, a noble beast capable of trekking great distances without rest.

Kaulesh
2010-05-26, 08:10 PM
"Thank you for your kind words, my lord. I shall do all in my power to ensure that I am worthy of them." She chooses the dagger with the ibex. The ibex - quick and graceful. Even something commonly considered to be prey can be quite dangerous - especially when cornered.

Tharione
2010-05-26, 08:48 PM
Targus steps forward. "It has indeed been a rigorous path." He nods his head and takes the Swan, Bravery against those who would threaten it, unending Loyalty to its mate, Grace in all things.

Catch
2010-05-26, 08:53 PM
Nava, hunched into her notebook, had been sketching a diagram of tern in flight, the soft skritch-skritch of her charcoal stick forming the bird's beak and slender tail streamers. She scratched a tiny note beneath it - "shorter wings, faster beats" - and looked up, noticing Anaxagoras had been speaking.

Nava disappeared the notebook into her bag and cleared her throat sheepishly. "Oh. Um, thanks. I was glad to learn."

She let her fingers drift over the pommels of the daggers, pausing on one with a flicker on interest. "Hm... the jackal. Such a maligned animal, but really, they're quite resourceful. During the last dry season, I watched a hunting pair dig out a channel at night to collect groundwater before the day drank it up."

She pocketed the dagger cheerfully. "'Nature is wont to hide herself' indeed."

It was not clear to whom she was speaking and if anyone was listening, Nava would probably not have noticed.

Sekolah
2010-05-26, 11:05 PM
"Cunning and sly. Quick and lethal. All things I wish to imbue. I thank you my lord." With a respectful nod Gammon retrieves the Fox dagger.

Ella
2010-05-27, 12:13 AM
"And now finally you will recieve your equpiment, please follow me to our armoury."

Anaxagoras gathers the three remaining daggers, and leads the way to the armoury, the room is vast and cold, the ceiling is high and everywhere you look you can see more and more weapons ranging from the mostly impractical to the deadly.

On a long counter sits numerous piles of items just waiting for someone to pick them, behind the counter stands a wiry old woman, her wrinkles deeper than you had imagined possible and her expression keen, in a time where the life expectancy was not too long she was truly the most ancient crone you have seen.

"Come to the counter take what you need, I have been quartermaster in this here academy for half a century. I can tell you what you need better than you even realise yourself." You notice her accent is phoenician, not a rare thing in the city but most commonly heard from traders and dock workers.

The first bundle contains scale mail and a heavy wooden shield, beside it sits a costume suited for wearing in the desert itself with flowing loose robes. A full waterskin sits beside a razor sharp sickle, finished off with three sunrods tied in a bundle.

The second is armour made of unusual hide, it appears to be made from the skin of a large crocodile, there is a ring of sharp teeth pointing outwards from the collar and a heavy wooden shield. A longspear sits propped up against the counter infront of it and a small jar of blackeye behind it.

The third bundle has more scale mail, near over the mail sits a heavy wooden shield, the weapon included is a trident and with it comes a net packed tight into a small package and some manacles.

The fourth studded armour and a heavy wooden shield, a parasol sits next to it. When examined closely the top of the parasol comes off leaving you with a short and sharp throwing spear, beside the parasol you notice a plain dagger.

The fifth bundle contains studded leather, and a light wooden shield. A light mace sits upon a tied bundle of javelins. Thieves tools side beside a standard adventurers kit.

The sixth bundle is the most unusual of all, it contains padded armour and warhammer. A healers kit and a disguise kit sit beside a rope made of silk.

"Don't be afraid pick a pile, and then you may take a ranged weapon from the rack, finally collect your uniform cape and helmet that you must wear when on patrol. Once you get some time on the street you will be able to place custom weapon and armour orders here. Just ask for old Tanis"

She gestures to a rack filled with light crossbows, slings and darts. There are infront of the rack bundles of ammunition, bundles of 50 bolts and pouches of 50 sling bullets. The darts are packed in 20s.

Anaxagoras notices disappointed looks upon some faces, and he hastens to explain."We used to have people signing up and collecting armour and weaponry, more than they could carry almost and then resigning keeping it all as if it were a gift. Once you are done here I ask you to don your armour and uniforms and head down to the docks there has been a request for assistance from Eunomia who heads the guard down there."

esorscher
2010-05-27, 12:18 AM
Barian picks up the fifth bundle, then selects a sling from the rack and ten bullets for it. Holding the thieves' kit in his hand, he asks, "Who wants this?" He sets it down on the table while he dons his armor and tests out his weapons.

[I assume this replaces whatever gear we thought we started with?]

Kaulesh
2010-05-27, 12:23 AM
Kari-Mar walks to the fourth bundle and begins to get a feel for her new equipment. When dressed, she examines the rack of crossbows before selecting the perfect one. She grabs a bundle of bolts to go along with it.

"Many thanks, my lord. These will do wonderfully."

I'm assuming throwing spear == javelin?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 12:40 AM
Valleron takes the third bundle. He tests the trident as a two-handed weapon, before deciding, tentatively, on using it together with the shield. He takes a sling and 50 bullets to complete his equipment.

If anyone needs the shield more than me, I can do without it. Also, you're welcome to the net.

Tharione
2010-05-27, 01:13 PM
Disheartened at his own lack of alacrity in claiming his favored weapons Targus Takes the second bundle, a spear was better than nothing. He also grabs 20 darts.

Catch
2010-05-27, 01:23 PM
Another sketch and a series of notes went into Nava's journal as she followed the group to the armory, lagging a half-step behind as she copied the jackal's head onto a new page with vigor.

Nava examined the remaining bundles of equipment over the shoulders of her companions, and sidled her way among jostling shields and weapons to the end of the counter, taking the sixth bundle.

"This armor seems light enough for me, though I don't know what I'll do with this..." she said, hefting the healer's supplies. Noticing Barian set down the set of thieve's tools, she offered the kit with a smile.

"Trade? I'm afraid I'm not very good at treating wounds. Euphemios says I have a terrible hand for medicine."

Nava moved to the weapon rack and gathered up a crossbow for herself, then attached the warhammer to her belt. "I suppose I should put my weapon drills to use, but this thing seems awfully unweildly."

esorscher
2010-05-27, 01:24 PM
Barian smiles. "I was hoping you'd say that." He swaps the thieves' kit for the healers' kit. Unable to find a comfortable way to hold the 50' of rope, he wraps it up and sets it on the table.

Sekolah
2010-05-27, 01:27 PM
Wordlessly taking the first bundle Gammon strides over to the rack of ranged weapons immediately taking his only option. Strapping the 20 darts to his waist he begins to don his armour and shield. When that's done he approaches Nava, holding out the sickle. "Perhaps this is more suited to your person. If you don't mind I would appreciate something with a little more heft."

Ella
2010-05-27, 11:04 PM
Tanis finds herself unable to stop another cackle. "So you youngsters can already think as a group after all, trading items around to figure out what is most effective for the group rather than yourself as an individual. Maybe the lessons have sunk in."

Anaxagoras is starting to look impatient, however you know him well enough to know he is just trying to hurry you up, if anything he is actually proud. "The docks wont be getting any better with you all up here admiring your shiny new weaponry, get your backsides moving in that direction!"

I am about to move you down through the city, so if you want to do any more bonding and trading better get it done soon :)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-28, 09:45 AM
Since no one seems to want the large coil of rope nor the net, Valleron decides, rather than let them go to waste, combine them - he used the net as a sack of sorts, to hold the coiled rope inside. All ready to go.

esorscher
2010-05-28, 09:46 AM
"Good thinking," Barian says, then looks to the door.

Catch
2010-05-28, 01:55 PM
Nava lifted the warhammer (with out it wobbling too much) and extended the handle to Gammon. "I'd probably just crush my hand with it."

She tested the cutting surface of the sickle with her thumb, yelped, then popped her finger into her mouth. "At least it's sharp..."

Sekolah
2010-05-29, 02:32 PM
My thanks.

Taking the hammer Gammon tests out it's weight with a couple swings. Appearing satisfied he quickly stows it and takes a step towards the door.

Perhaps we should be heading out as he says.

esorscher
2010-05-29, 02:35 PM
Barian follows suit.

Tharione
2010-05-29, 04:12 PM
Targus makes his exit

Ella
2010-05-29, 07:13 PM
Outside the gates of the military academy the first thing you see is some of the biggest, most impressive houses within the city rivalled only by those clustered near the temples.

Early in the history of the city the land here had been settled by the greek mercenaries who had gained the city as a greek colony. Amongst the older families in the district of the city they often spoke of the tales of heroics of their ancestors that had them living in such luxury. The newer famlies more often were from more mercantile families. Of course there was also a third group but they weren't spoken about, however everyone does know Naucratise is famed for the beauty of its courtesans and ladies of the night.

You reach the docks relatively fast because you managed to skirt the market district and avoid the slow foot traffic. You see boats as far away from the actually docks as possible while still being possible to board. Everyone notices Eunomia quite easily, she is the furious lady screaming at a group of labourers however as you get closer you notice she is screaming simply to be understood clearly and she is giving clear instructions to clear the loads from each boat as quickly as possible and then getting them back upstead and out to sea.

Nava passed a spot check and so she has also noticed a large Nile Crocodile. While they are common to the area they do tend to avoid getting so close to such a busy part of the waterway.

OOC: Feel free to investigate the docks, but you should report to Eunomia sooner than later.

Kaulesh
2010-05-29, 09:21 PM
Kari-Mar reports straight to Eunomia. "How may I make myself useful, ma'am?"

Ella
2010-05-30, 09:29 AM
Eunomia gives a broad grin at the assembled group of adventurers as she looks them over. "Take a look at the river, the water is disappearing, and so much water is leaving that I can see it hour by hour. What I want is for you to head downstream and discover whats happening. And then I need you to fix it, look at those boats docked here, if I don't offload them fast enough they will get stuck in the silt and mud and then commerce will come to a stop."

Around the docks you can see various people, the rushing labourers unloading the boats and stacking goods up to the height of the rooves of nearby buildings. An important looking scribe stands by the piles making notes about the quantities of various goods coming ashore. Down the far end of the docks stands a couple of wizened old fishermen.

The nearby buildings include warehouses, an office of the local government to deal with taxation by the waterfront and a tavern known most of all for its cheap drinks and beautiful serving girls.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 09:07 PM
While disappearing water is a grave problem, Valleron doubts the wisdom of Eunomia's directions.

Isn't it more likely, ma'am, that the problem is upstream, for example if someone dammed the river without permission?

Tharione
2010-05-30, 09:12 PM
Targus wanders over to the fishermen to see their take on this whole thing, men whose livelihood is based in the river might know a thing or two about it.

Kaulesh
2010-05-30, 09:39 PM
Kari-Mar follows Targus to the fishermen.

Ella
2010-05-30, 09:42 PM
Eunomia right eye gives an involuntary twitch the moment she heard the word upstream. "I see you know about the river then, I have always had problems with the fact that down the map you are moving upstream. I cannot imagine why anyone would dam the river."

charisma check from Valleron please.

The all but one of the fishermen ignore Targus, and the one that steps forwards has no teeth left, his skin is tanned like dark leather from all the time he has spent in the sun and if every wrinkle was a sign of wisdom then he was the wisest man you had ever seen.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-30, 09:53 PM
Charisma check [roll0]

Tharione
2010-05-30, 10:20 PM
"Good day sir, i thought i might ask a man of the river like yourself a question if you do not mind?"

[roll0] Diplomacy

Ella
2010-05-30, 10:23 PM
Eunomia's smile seems frozen like that on a statue, "The official story is that sticks, silt and stones have formed a clog somewhere causing a decrease in the amount of water coming out way and that is all I know."

Ella
2010-05-30, 10:29 PM
The fisherman looks Targus over, everything about his posture is defensive. "And what is it you want to know from old Usi, guard." It is only once the old man speaks you realise he is one of the old egyptians whose ancestors stayed when the city was handed over to the greeks.

Tharione
2010-05-30, 10:38 PM
Targus tries to choose his words carefully to avoid offending the man. Hearing the title of his current position frustrates him a little, it begins to feel more and more like he has gotten himself into a cage of late.

"The water of the river seems to be diminishing recently, as i am sure you have noticed. I know little of this river, so I seek someone who knows more of it to provide insight as to why the the river might be falling."

Ella
2010-05-30, 10:57 PM
Usi adopts a less defensive stance. "She who watches the docks says there is a wall in the river, but who would make the bricks for it. How would they bake them in the sun down below. There is no force strong enough to build a wall in the water it is too great, too powerful."

Usi turns to look at the other fishermen taking great cares to appear disinterested. "Perhaps you think I am too old, that I have been baked like a brick. Old Usi sees things perhaps things that only the very old know to look for."

Tharione
2010-05-30, 11:12 PM
"With age comes wisdom and knowledge, I would much like to know what it is you see, if you are willing to give your vision onto the young."

Ella
2010-05-30, 11:28 PM
Usi starts talking slowly, building towards a manic crescendo. "When I was a young man, I saw the demons dance under the moonlight, upstream two days they come out of the reeds. Some only as high as your knee and others the height of a man and then some taller still. Sometimes at night you hear them beneath the ground only those who sleep against it would ever hear. They steal the waters for their underground lakes." He stops taking deep breaths.

Sekolah
2010-05-30, 11:47 PM
Approaching Eunomia Gammon licks his lips before speaking.

"Is there perhaps anyone who may benefit from the collapse of the river trade? A rival city or bandit gang?"

Ella
2010-05-31, 12:29 AM
"Who doesn't profit from a collapse in the trade centred here on Naucratis, there are the smugglers who can avoid tax and tributes when we are too busy to catch them, there are those fishermen up in Sais who loath us for our successes, there are the phoenicians who trade everywhere and would profit from our downfall and thats before you account for the egyptians who would like to see this colony gone."

Eunomia takes a deep breath.

"The Emperor would lose money, and the Satrap would too, I woul regard anyone else as suspicious."

Satrap is akin to provincial governor.

esorscher
2010-05-31, 12:55 AM
"What's your impression of the Egyptians?" Barian asks. "Can they be trusted?" Barian values the judgment of a local like Eunomia.

Ella
2010-05-31, 01:03 AM
"The egyptians, the local ones who have lived here for generations, or the ones from outside the city who don't understand how it works?"

give me a charisma roll :)

esorscher
2010-05-31, 01:04 AM
"Both." Barian smiles. There is a bit of food left in his teeth from lunch.

[roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 01:13 AM
Having been given the cold shoulder by Eunomia, Valleron steps away, and white she's talking to the others, wanders whether she or Usi are on the level.

Detect Evil on Eunomia and Usi. [[OOC, if it's considered anti-social to use Detect Evil in the city, let me know and I'll undo]]

Ella
2010-05-31, 01:32 AM
"The locals are fine, I mean, they are just as untrustworthy as anyone else in this town whether they be greek, phoenician or egyptian, even the nubians who come here to trade on very rare occasions are untrustworthy. I know it doesn't help you much but the truth is that everyone who can find a way to exploit a situation does in these parts."

You find that neither is evil. It is only considered bad form to use detect evil if you are not in a position where you might need to know, your duties mean you can do it without causing offence to anyone. Well evil characters might get upset.

Sekolah
2010-05-31, 07:14 AM
"Perhaps we should get going to the source and pick up some clues there. Assuming what you say is true, standing around here talking won't be much good given how many potentially suspicious parties there are. I suggest we gather some clues first and come back once we have a few more facts to back us up."

Catch
2010-05-31, 12:39 PM
Nava had been engrossed in her notebook for several minutes, having stopped completely in the street, sketching quite contentiously, and utterly oblivious to the milling around her. People stepped around her, carts swerved with drivers shouting curses as the girl made careful notes on the swimming patterns of the Nile crocodile. Snippets of conversation found her ears eventually, and she stuffed the book in her satchel, quite embarrassed for not paying attention. Since the harbor-mistress seemed busy, Nava approached the scribe, to indulge a bit of curiosity.

"Um, excuse me Sir, maybe you can help me. I'm with the city investigating the problem of the river, and you seem like the kind of man who knows the business of trade the best. Have there been any abnormalities in river trade lately?"

Charisma check, if necessary: [roll0]

I'd also like to try a Knowledge (Local) check, if it would help.
Knowledge (Local): [roll1]

Tharione
2010-05-31, 12:55 PM
"Thanks be to you sir, with any luck this will help the safe return of the river water. Spirits be with you."

He performs a short half-bow in a respectful manner and then heads off to regroup with the others.

Kaulesh
2010-05-31, 03:10 PM
Kari-Mar, feeling a bit like a third wheel, gives a short bow and walks back to the rest of the group. "Thank you, sir. You have been most helpful."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-31, 03:15 PM
Valleron digs his memory for anything related to Usi's story of "demons dancing in the moonlight" ...

Knowledge: Religion [roll0]

... but fails to remember anything useful. Anyways, he's keen to go, and addresses his fellow-guards, so, shall we go find out who's stealing our water?

Tharione
2010-05-31, 03:31 PM
"A river belongs to no one, it cannot be owned or stolen like a trinket. But yes i understand what you mean, and yes i am ready to depart"

Kaulesh
2010-05-31, 10:03 PM
"Mayhap the sun has addled the old man's mind. What purpose would a group of demons have with destroying us as a trading center? I, too, am ready to depart and end this mystery."

Ella
2010-05-31, 10:22 PM
"There have been no abnormalities in the river trade that I can recall."Use murmers, however you prompt him with your knowledge of local events. "When you mention it however there have been a few people disappearing from the river, not traders or the like but fishermen and a couple of the bargemen and even a dock worker."

Valleron your knowledge of religion turns up little beyond fragmentary snatches of a tale you heard from a young phoenician cleric at the temple of the sun in the north of town. He told you about how the cities ancestors had recorded the tale of an oasis for trading with angels and a big flat rock by the river for trading with the demons, they would leave goods there and the next day it would be replaced with what they wanted.

With your agreement to leave Eunomia steps forwards, "Thank you for agreeing to take on this, it is quite larger than most would expect on their first day. If you head to the city gates I have left a guide to help you if you wish to take one."

Catch
2010-05-31, 10:28 PM
"Disappearances, yes. I remember hearing about that," Nava mused, rifling through her notes. Thanks for your help.

She rejoined the group after making a small note, and rocked on her heels to indicate her readiness. There was certainly something going on, and Nava suspected a cover-up.

Ella
2010-06-01, 08:41 AM
By the city games your guide awaits, standing beside him are 7 camels, your heart begins to sink as you get closer to him. The smarmy scion of an important family in Naucratis his father traced his ancestry to one of the mercenary leaders who won the city, his mother to one of the most famed courtesans to make good.

Sirano has strapped across his back a custom built lyre, he wears the most absurdly padded armour you have seen and carries a thin bladed sword. "Are you scruffy lot the ones being sent out on some hush hush mission, they couldn't tell me what it is however I was told to assist you in any way possible."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 08:43 AM
Despite some reservations, Valleron shakes the guide's hand.
Pleased to have you on board, good man.

And Detect Evil, of course.

Ella
2010-06-01, 09:19 AM
"Pleasure is all mine" He pats the camels on the nose and they kneel down.

"As soon as you are all mounted we set out. Just let me know what you want to see, and I will advise you on what routes you might be able to take."

He is revealed to be not evil.

Kaulesh
2010-06-01, 10:37 AM
"If the old fisherman is to be believed, we will need all of the help we can get."

And to the rest of the party: "What was the verdict at the docks? Will we follow the river downstream as our comrade said or follow it upstream where the water is actually disappearing?"

esorscher
2010-06-01, 10:38 AM
"Upstream" Barian votes.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 10:47 AM
Upstream, to the source.

Catch
2010-06-01, 06:56 PM
"I'm not sure... heading upstream, we might be able to loosen the flow of the river, but...."

Nava consults her notes, rifling through pages for insight, though they're quite disorganized.

Knowledge (Nature): [roll0]

esorscher
2010-06-01, 07:00 PM
"But nothing," Barian interjects. "You want to stop a problem, you go to the source. If the water was disappearing downstream, we wouldn't notice--it's flow would appear normal to us, as we lie before its hypothetical drainage point."

Ella
2010-06-01, 09:19 PM
Your knowledge of nature reveals that upstream is far more likely to be the cause than downstream.

Sirano sits down on a camel while he waits your decision.

Tharione
2010-06-01, 11:39 PM
Targus climbs aboard a nearby camel, this is done somewhat unsteadily but otherwise managed. Always being one for action over talk Targus begins to leisurely trot his camel following the river upstream.

esorscher
2010-06-01, 11:44 PM
Barian also mounts a camel, and follows Targus's lead.

Kaulesh
2010-06-01, 11:45 PM
Kari-Mar climbs onto one of the remaining camels and turns to Sirano. "It looks like the choice has been made." She then follows a short distance behind the other two.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-01, 11:58 PM
Valleron, glad that the group finally converged on the right course, also saddles up and rides along.

Ella
2010-06-02, 12:16 AM
Sirano follows the group as they lead their camels along the river, while you investigate along the river bank he sings about the glory of Naucratis yet the songs fail to reflect anything truly heroic and in some cases they are entirely implausible. Time passes and you find the noon sun high above you baking you with its heat and making travelling uncomfortable.

Sirano signals you to stop for a moment to pass around a small jar of blackeye to help you search with the glare from the sun coming off the river. "I hear something unusual, can you hear it, it is like a lightly beaten drum over gurgling. Perhaps your mission is to find a one eyed giant and slay him?"

Spot check from everyone. If you decide not to put on the blackeye take a -2 penalty. You can look in four general directions towards the city, away from the city, towards the river and away from the river.
Listen check from everyone.
Don't worry about making them for your mounts, even if they saw or heard anything how would you know.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 12:25 AM
Valleron puts on the blackeye paint. He heard of its qualities to assist vision, and doesn't wish to impair himself.

It's not clear whether we make spot checks in all 4 directions or need to choose one. In case we need to choose one, my top priority is away from the city.

Spot (away from the city) [roll0]
Spot (toward the city) [roll1]
Spot (away from the river) [roll2]
Spot (toward the river) [roll3]

Listen [roll4]

esorscher
2010-06-02, 12:25 AM
"Pass me that blackeye," Barian says as he looks toward the river.

Spot: [roll0] If I can administer the blackeye before making this check, add 2.
Listen: [roll1]

Tharione
2010-06-02, 12:46 AM
Targus puts on some from his own jar so as to speed the passing of the first to others.

[roll0] Spot toward the river
[roll1] listen

Kaulesh
2010-06-02, 12:53 AM
Kari-Mar graciously accepts the blackeye and applies it to herself.

Spot (Away from river): [roll0]

Sekolah
2010-06-02, 10:56 AM
Applying the blackeye Gammon squints and stares away from the city looking for the source of the noise.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Catch
2010-06-02, 01:57 PM
Nava hummed to herself as her camel followed the group and Sirano sung his strange songs. The lurid Egyptian sun, however, did not make for musical mood, and she was quite unused to the heat. As the jar passed around, she took a bit of the blackeye and squints away from the river.

Spot: [roll0]

Ella
2010-06-03, 12:27 AM
Valleron can hear the river, and looking back towards Naucratis he notices a fishing barge coming down the river towards their location.

Barian can hear the frogs hidden in the mud around the Nile, looking towards the river he can see something solid on the bottom of the river itself, the silt makes it unclear what is actually down there however, but it looks to be as tall as 5 men and it lies on an odd angel an incline of you would guess 45 degrees.

Targus can hear a faint gurgling noise, and over it what seems like a constant beat however the more he listens he comes to realise it is actually multiple faint beats at the same time, coming from all directions. Looking towards the river he notices something that strikes him as quite unusual there are scarlet ibis' digging in the newly exposed mud from the drop in the water level. The crocodiles are ignoring them.

Kari-Mar can hear her own beating heart, and can barely make out the movement of the rivers water over it. She can see on the very horizon greenery, and even trees in a roughly circular area, it would appear to be most likely to be an oasis.

Gammon can hear the river, and further down the river in the direction they have been travelling he can see a figure, or at least something unidentifiable from this distance climbing along the bank of the river. It moves like a creature accustomed to moving on two feet however it is short enough not to hesitate at falling to the ground and using all four limbs.

Nava can hear the river and something moving within it, upon tracing the noise it appears to be a couple of crocodiles doing their best log impression amongst some reeds. Looking away from the river she can see the sand.

Sirano has noticed none of these things and is instead trying to find a way to attach his lyre to a length of wood he has found nearby to create a mobile stand for it. "You know friends, I have studied this area in great detail, my mother owns some land this way that is quite beautiful in winter. Have you ever seen a region of such stillness and silent beauty."

esorscher
2010-06-03, 12:34 AM
"What's that down there," Barian says, pointing at the oddly angled something under the surface.

Spot (specifically the underwater object): [roll0]

Ella
2010-06-03, 12:44 AM
Beneath the water, the object that Barian can see would appear to be a long and boat with one of its ends sunk into the mud holding it up on a strange angle.

esorscher
2010-06-03, 12:48 AM
"Ah, a sunken ship."

Sekolah
2010-06-03, 01:13 AM
"Sirano, do you know of any ships that have sunk here?

Untrained Knowledge check (max DC 10) to figure out what the creature I saw up ahead is.
[roll0]

If I can focus on it to see it better (i.e. new spot check) then here goes.
[roll1]

Ella
2010-06-03, 01:18 AM
Sirano pauses to consider the question. " I cannot think of any specific boats that have disappeared exactly here in the river, but who would really know once a boat leaves Naucratis there is absolutely no guarentee that we will see it again. This goes double for independent merchants and boats rented purely for travel sometimes barely float."

You fail to indentify the creature, however it matches nothing you do know about. It has moved into the shade of some riverside vegetation and you have trouble spotting it at all in the shade.

Tharione
2010-06-03, 01:27 AM
"You figure there's anything worth salvaging aboard?"
Targus asks aloud to no one in particular

Sekolah
2010-06-03, 01:34 AM
"I think perhaps it could be worth investigating. We would have to be wary of the crocodiles and other predators however it may give us some clues as to why it sank and whether it had anything to do with our water problem."

Pointing to where he last saw the creature, "Also, I don't know if any of you can see it but I can't quite make out what the creature over there is."

esorscher
2010-06-03, 01:42 AM
Barian tries. "It's worth investigating, either way." He urges his camel over toward the direction of the bushes.

Spot: [roll0]

Kaulesh
2010-06-03, 01:43 AM
"That would depend on what type of ship it is and how long it's been there. If it's a trading ship, it could contain anything from solid gold bars to worthless wheat paste."

To Gammon: "Did you catch any details about this creature?"

If I get a description, I would like to attempt to identify based on whatever is given.
[roll0]

Sekolah
2010-06-03, 01:47 AM
"All I saw was that it was short and walked comfortably on two legs as well as on four. It moved into the shade as I was watching."

Ella
2010-06-03, 02:06 AM
Sirano grins at Targus. "If the water drops enough perhaps salvage would become as easy as walking out and checking whats on board, but at this stage I can tell you I am far from eager to investigate you never know just how many of those damn oversized lizards are around and thats before you take into account the big mouthed mud walking monsters. You know the ones horrible grey things that sweat blood."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 08:53 AM
Valleron considers Cirano's words. Salvage.... maybe this is the reason for all of this - someone is damming the river to allow for the salvage of a sunken boat. And the cargo is presumably worth enough to justify all this fuss.

Also, no big deal but I did specify looking away from the city

Sekolah
2010-06-03, 09:11 AM
"What monsters Sirano?"

Ella
2010-06-03, 09:16 AM
"You know the ones, terrible monsters with big gaping jaws. The river horse some call it however it is only swift when angry enough to attack." Sirano for the life of him can't remember the name of the animal and instead starts trying to impersonate one. He puts one finger from each hand pointing upwards from his lower jaw like upwards fangs.

Hippopotamus

esorscher
2010-06-03, 09:22 AM
Barian laughs at Sirano's imitation. "Gammon, what was that monster you saw?"

Catch
2010-06-03, 12:56 PM
Nava, intrigued by all the talk of sunken ships and river monsters but noticing neither plank nor fang, peered into the water with hope of spotting the source of all the commotion.

"I don't think we're equipped for a salvage mission,"she mused. "And the wreck - I think I see it - doesn't seem to be the source of the water blockage. Should we move on?"

Sekolah
2010-06-03, 01:05 PM
"It definitely wasn't one of Sirano's river monsters. I'm not sure what it was exactly. It didn't look like anything I've seen. Perhaps we should move on, it was in the direction we were headed so perhaps we could investigate further on our way."

esorscher
2010-06-03, 01:06 PM
Barian nods, and urges his camel forward.

Kaulesh
2010-06-03, 01:39 PM
"Maybe it was one of the old fisherman's demons," Kari-Mar snorts. She continues riding in the original direction.

Tharione
2010-06-03, 02:29 PM
Targus follows along silently

Ella
2010-06-04, 05:13 AM
You arrive at the foliage you saw the creature near, as you get closer you notice one of its limbs sticking out from behind a palm tree, its deceptive stillness suggests a great level of skill in hiding.

As you get closer you hear a noise, a soft clicking like a bizarre language coming from the other side of the tree however you fail to notice anything that the creature could be communicating with.

I rolled opposed spot checks for everyone, four of you passed, so I would say that pretty much makes it communal knowledge.

As GM I advise caution here to players.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 08:44 AM
Valleron guides his camel to slowly circle the palm tree so he can catch a glimpse of a larger part of the creature. Probably just a mindless animal, but can never be too careful, he thinks to himself. He also concentrates on the creature's aura, whether he can see any darkness and taint in his heart.

Ella
2010-06-04, 10:11 AM
You sense evil.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 10:20 AM
Get ready for trouble, my friends, for this creature has the taint of evil.

Since Valleron has no confidence in his ability to control the camel during battle, he dismounts, and keeps circling around, to get a good look of the creature.

Spot check in case it's relevant [roll0]

esorscher
2010-06-04, 10:25 AM
Barian moves next to Valleron, channeling the divine power of Dion into the paladin. "I with my two fist's iron and I'm going nowhere." he whispers as he casts the Guidance spell. (+1 to a single attack, save, or skill check). He draws a javelin, hoisting it above his shoulder and aims it at the beast.

Kaulesh
2010-06-04, 10:39 AM
Kari-Mar also dismounts and walks up next to Barian, drawing her two daggers as she does so. She whispers, "Should we try talking to it?"

Tharione
2010-06-04, 11:46 AM
Targus drops down as well and readies his shield.

Catch
2010-06-04, 12:15 PM
Peering toward the clutch of foliage (after one of her companions pointed it out), Nava chewed her lip in apparent consternation, but with a glimmer of excitement in her eyes. Dismounting her camel, she reached at her belt, hesitating between grabbing her journal or her crossbow.

The latter was perhaps the most prudent choice, but she did very much want to examine whatever creature was lurking nearby. She'd never seen something evil before. Quietly, Nava loaded a bolt and cocked the weapon, waiting in a half crouch. This was exciting!

Ella
2010-06-04, 12:44 PM
From behind the tree the figure steps out however it is not as you had thought from earlier sightings, more observant people would even be tempted to swear that the creature has changed.

A child steps beside the tree, he appears to be about eight years old and unarmed he is wearing a fine yellow robe that shines as sunlight plays upon its surface. He is wearing an expensive looking brimless hat with a yellow band around it and he has his hands raised up in the air. He keeps his hands up and starts to make clicking noises with his tongue.

Sirano walked him camel forwards. "I can translate, if you wish but it will cost me."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 12:53 PM
What diabolic ploy is this? Are my senses misleading me? A monster turning into a child before my very eyes? Valleron wonders. He turns to the guide. What manner of creature is this, and what business has it here?

If the guide doesn't wish to cooperate, Valleron turns to the creature again and do his best impression of a friendly wave, as much as waving a Trident could be friendly. Uhm, hello there!

Sekolah
2010-06-04, 01:33 PM
After seeing the child Gammon dismounts and draws out a dart from his belt.

"This is not the creature I spied from downstream." He says to his companions.

To the creature, "What manner of beast are you? Speak no lies lest we see you for the evil that you are."

Sense motive on it's reply, [roll0]

Sekolah
2010-06-04, 01:34 PM
((Sorry for the double post))
On second thought, Intimidate as well. [roll0]

Ella
2010-06-04, 01:35 PM
"Hello" the child says, the word itself sounds unnatural coming from it, its voice both croaks and has the depth you would expect from a venerable old man.

"They are going to ambush you" The child points towards the river, amongst the reeds you notice bubbles coming from below some of them. The child throws itself to the ground lying face down arms above its head as a signal of submission.

Prepare to be attacked by enemies unknown so far. Everyone roll initiative, just finishing up the battle map. You get a suprise round because they aren't ready but they get improved cover unless they surface. Battle map coming after a short nap.

esorscher
2010-06-04, 01:39 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Catch
2010-06-04, 01:45 PM
An ambush? What a brave little child, to give them a warning. Nava hoped the boy would scuttle away before the fighting started.

Initiative: [roll0]

Kaulesh
2010-06-04, 03:11 PM
An ambush? Who and what is that thing and how did it know? Is it with them?

[roll0]

Tharione
2010-06-04, 03:32 PM
Targus had hungered for a real fight for a long time now, it was about time.

[roll0] init

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-04, 05:27 PM
Valleron Initiative [roll0]

Ella
2010-06-05, 07:21 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/219urs7.jpg
You may take an action in the suprise round now, initiative is unimportant for this round.
You know nothing about the enemies at this stage beyond the location based on the bubbles.
I prefer the format for battle of standard rping things, and then in a spoiler writing out the mechanical details.

Tharione
2010-06-05, 09:27 AM
Targus retrieves a dart, not his preferred weapon but at least he need not sacrifice his shield use. He Readies to strike anything that comes out of the water that isn't obviously an ally.

esorscher
2010-06-05, 09:31 AM
Barian hurls his javelin into the water, hoping the projectile strikes true, then draws a second.

Attack v. 5: [roll0], [roll1] (not accounting for cover)

esorscher
2010-06-05, 09:34 AM
Confirm crit: [roll0], [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-05, 09:43 AM
The exchange leaves Valleron highly confused and doubting. First was the monster with the taint of evil, who changed into a child, who for some reason decided to warn them against attack ... whoever those creatures hiding in the water are, they were up to no good - why would they ambush a group of lawful guards otherwise? Taking a deep breath and uttering a quick prayer, he slung a round rock toward one of them.

Sling attack against #7, [roll0], damage [roll1], didn't account for cover penalties

Kaulesh
2010-06-05, 10:21 AM
Kari-Mar approaches one of the... things and tries to attack it.

Move to K8, attack 5
[roll0]; [roll1]
[roll2]; [roll3]
Didn't account for cover on either.

Tharione
2010-06-05, 11:23 AM
readied attack

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Catch
2010-06-05, 01:15 PM
Nava heard her heartbeat in her ears as dark shadows rose up from the riverbed, their breath bubbling on the surface. She tried to recall from her history lessons a river battle, and as she picked out target, Nava angled the crossbow upward, so the bolt would drop directly onto the creature.

Shooting at #3 with her loaded crossbow, and spending an inspiration point on the attack roll. Nava has 4 left this round.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Ella
2010-06-05, 02:36 PM
Once Barian's javelin struck the water the effect was near immediate, piercing the creature through its chest, leaving it unconscious and rapidly bleeding out, as the body floats to the surface you recognise it as similar to the creature from the bushes originally was. You can see its scaled skin where it sticks out from its armour, and it is at most 3ft tall, between its legs sticks out a tail.

Kari-Mar's attack on the now immobile creature destroy its head entirely, the corpse continues to bob with the motion of the water.

The stone that flew from Valleron's sling hits the water hard and knocks the creature hard and disables it, it floats to the surface revealing another one of the lizardfaced scaly creatures.

Nava's show glances off the creatures hide armour, failing to penetrate its flesh. The arrow floats on the surface of the river just behind it.

I am pretty sure you can guess what they are now, but try not to metagame too much, because there is a reasonable-ish explanation :)

I hope to get a post from Sekolah before I update the enemies, but as the sig indicates this might not happen, so either way when I wake up there will be updating :)

Sekolah
2010-06-06, 12:46 PM
Gammon steps forward and throws the dart in his hand at one of the creatures, immediately drawing out his warhammer.

5' step to F5, throwing at enemy 3

Initiative - [roll0]
Attack - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]

((If I'm not allowed a move action then scratch the warhammer.))

Ella
2010-06-07, 10:39 AM
Gammon's dart flew through the air sure and true, however movement through water slowed it down enough that it failed to penetrate the creatures armour.

No warhammer I'm afraid.
http://i45.tinypic.com/21pogy.jpg
Everyone can take proper turn now, while the enemies are well protected by the water they seem to lack initiative.
The order is party members go first, then the npcs and finally the creatures. As gm I kind of hope you leave some to get a turn but am impressed so far by your capabilities.

esorscher
2010-06-07, 10:44 AM
Barian moves forward, drawing his light mace in his free hand and bringing another of the scaly creatures into the range of his javelin. He hurls it forward, hoping for his god's divine favor once more as his projectile flies toward its target.

Move to J7, draw light mace, Javelin against 6.

Attack v. 6 (not counting cover): [roll0], [roll1] <- possible crit!

esorscher
2010-06-07, 10:46 AM
Crit confirm: [roll0], [roll1]

Ella
2010-06-07, 10:52 AM
Another powerful strike from Barian's javelin strikes true, piercing the water and then the creatures shoulder digging in deep and disabling it. The water around it starts to change colour taking the deep red of blood despite the movement of the water. Along the surface of the water a small flute made of hollowed bone floats towards the shore.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-07, 10:53 AM
Emboldened by his success, Valleron advances toward the riverbank, and whacks another one of the scaly creatures with his sling. God is on our side this day!

move toward the three creatures at the top-right of the map, Attack against #10 [roll0], damage [roll1]

Despite his confidence, the throw goes astray and the stone plops into the water harmlessly.

Sekolah
2010-06-07, 11:47 AM
Gammon curses at his failure and draws another dart, immediately whipping it at the same target and drawing his warhammer.

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Tharione
2010-06-07, 12:57 PM
Targus lets fly a dart at one of the farther foes and retrieves another moving to be adjacent to as many allies as possible

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Kaulesh
2010-06-07, 12:57 PM
Cowardly things... Lying in wait to ambush us, just out of reach. Not for long.

Kari-Mar drops her two daggers (K8) and retreats, drawing her crossbow as she does so.

Move to J4, load crossbow

Catch
2010-06-07, 01:17 PM
"Tsk. Overcompensated."

Nava clucked her tongue and reloaded the crossbow, trying a second shot with a gentler angle.

Move action: Reload the crossbow.
Standard: Fire at #3 again, using another inspiration point. Nava has 3 left for the encounter.

Ella
2010-06-09, 02:55 AM
Nava's arrow missed the enemy again, the water slow down the arrow to the point it harmlessly stops when it hits. Targus' dart hits and deals minor damage to the enemy, a small cloud of red appears in the water before washing away.The water provides enough protection that Gammon's warhammer fails to injure the struck enemy. Valleron too fails as he strikes the enemy.

Sireno runs forwards into the water towards the enemy and the child remains on the ground lying face down arms above his head.

Hopefully you kill some more next turn, it will sure speed up making the moves of the enemy :P

Ella
2010-06-09, 04:02 AM
The monsters start to react to your attack, with one of them charging Sirano and jabbing at him with a spear while another moves away from the river bank and casts a missle of acid that flies from its hands and hits Sirano on the arm. Having taken two light injuries Sirano seems completely unfazed.

In the middle of the field two of them climb out of the water onto the river bank one of them waving a trident menacingly while the other wields a cruel looking scimitar. The one with the scitmar runs a hand over its own body at the dart wound caused by Targus and before your eyes manages to close the wound, you see a faint glow beneath its hand while it does.

One the far right of the field of battle one of the monsters engages Valleron while holding a scythe, it swings at the paladin. The final two of the creatures scramble up onto the shore.

attacking V :
attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]
Thats an utter failure I do believe.
http://i46.tinypic.com/55jn0j.jpg
Sirano took 4 damage, but you needn't worry about him dying yet.
Your turn again players.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-09, 07:49 AM
Valleron, seeing himself surrounded by three enemies, dropped the sling and unsheathed his Trident. He then lunged at one of the enemies with a sharp motion.

Attacking #9, [roll0], damage [roll1]; If I kill or disable him, 5' step into his space.

esorscher
2010-06-09, 08:35 AM
Barian brings his mace crashing down on the monster before him.

v. 4: [roll0], [roll1]

Ella
2010-06-09, 08:40 AM
Valleron's strike is deflected by the tough skin exposed by this specific creature's lack of armour.

Barian's mace falls foul of the creatre before him's small studded leather armour.

Catch
2010-06-09, 10:28 AM
Nava cringed as the crossbow bolt sank into the water. Nerves again. I've got to focus.

She loaded another bolt, and, seeing that Valleron was fighting three creatures alone, adjusted her position, and leveled the weapon at the one advancing toward the child.

Come on....

Move action: Load another bolt.
Free action: 5-foot step backward.
Standard: Attack #10

Sekolah
2010-06-09, 10:49 AM
Seeing the monsters attacking their guide Gammon rushes to his aid, charging the monster.

Charge to D8, attacking number 2. Drawing my warhammer along the way if I can. (If I can't I'll just use my shield. Oh, and I know I'm provoking an AoO.)

Attack - [roll0]
Damage (if warhammer) - [roll1]
Damage (if shield) - [roll2]

If I kill it I'll cleave.
Attack - [roll3]
Damage (WH) - [roll4]
Damage (S) - [roll5]

Kaulesh
2010-06-09, 11:57 AM
Kari-Mar fires at 1. It is just on the edge of her range, but the others look taken care of. She then reloads her crossbow.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Again, without the miss chance.

Tharione
2010-06-09, 01:03 PM
targus takes aim at the one with the scimitar with another dart

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Ella
2010-06-10, 02:25 AM
Nava's attack fails to deal damage to the creature, it turns to face her.

Gammon's charge succeeds in slaying the two creatures who had gathered beside Sireno much to the guides relief.

Kari-Mar's attack just misses the enemy.

Targus manages to strike the enemy with a dart, and the blow is powerful enough to leave it floating in the water, disabled.

I don't think I need to rule about Gammon's weapons because either way he has disabled two of the enemy.

Ella
2010-06-10, 02:39 AM
The enemies around Valleron begin working together, the unarmoured one runs to the one wearing armour made of hide and slaps it hard on the shoulder. The one that was touched begins to grow larger, until it becomes the size of the average person, its armour and weaponry have grown with it.

The cruel scythe gleams in its hand as it strikes at the Paladin again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The other monster that had been by the tree had made a run for the prone child, and upon reach it grabs and pull the child to its feet.

The only monster still mobile near Gammon and Sireno runs for the shore after its close call with Kari-Mar's attack, once it gets close it casts the spell mage armour upon itself.

http://i49.tinypic.com/302s39g.jpg
This was meant to be a hard hard battle for you, but you are clearing them somewhat fast.

Sekolah
2010-06-10, 02:52 AM
((Assuming I used my shield))

Gammon turns to face the approaching enemy and marches forward to meet it, drawing his hammer as he does. Upon reaching the creature he lets fly a huge swing across.

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 07:44 AM
Do I get an attack of opportunity when they run around me like that and cast spells? Either the movement or the spell should provoke an AoO, I believe

If so, AoO at the spellcaster [roll0], damage [roll1] edit meh, probably missed anyway

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-10, 07:48 AM
Help the child, someone!

I'd do it myself, but I have my hands full here, Valleron thought, as he turned to the enemy with the scythe.

Trident attack [roll0], damage [roll1]

Ella
2010-06-10, 08:19 AM
AoO was correct sorry, I forgot to inform you. As a gm remembering to give players one is my weakness so watch out for it :)

Valleron's attack slides off the smooth scales of the spellcaster, however his strike against the now larger creature easily penetrated its flesh, its new size seems to have come with reduced protection.

Gammon's shieldbash fails to hit true.

Kaulesh
2010-06-10, 10:29 AM
Kari-Mar gives a short prayer to anyone that happens to be listening. "Please, guide my shot. Do not allow me to hit the child." She then lets a bolt fly and reloads.

[roll0] (Firing into melee)
[roll1]
What luck... :smallfrown:

Catch
2010-06-10, 03:25 PM
Nava hissed as her shot failed proved to be ineffectual yet again. Now the child-creature was in danger and she couldn't hit his captor without risking injury its hostage.

She cocked another bolt, aiming for the creature at the Paladin's flank. If she could create an opening...

Valleron! Behind you!

Attacking #10:

Nava has 1 Inspiration point left for the encounter.

Tharione
2010-06-10, 07:37 PM
Targus shouts in a manner much like a roar and charges the one on the child

[roll0] bullrush attempt

(provokes AoO but i dont know if its in a grapple if it does)

esorscher
2010-06-12, 09:29 AM
[Sorry, didn't see the update.]

Barian strikes again at the beast next to him, calling on his divine being for strength. "Wanderer, guide my strike."

Attack v. 4: [roll0], [roll1]

I only add half my STR to damage with light weapons, right?

Ella
2010-06-13, 12:02 PM
This time Nava's arrow strikes true, dropping the scaled sorcerer to the ground.

Targus' charge is met by shock on the part of the opposing sorcerer who drops his hold on the child in shock.

Barian nearly cuts the enemy in half as he attack its prone body floating in the water.

Kari-Mar's shot misses both the child and the enemy.

Tharione: I'm giving you the bullrush because no matter what you roll you are going to win against a small sized creature with a negative str modifier. No AoO from the enemy because of the grapple, I assumed you charged ending in a bullrush.

esorscher: The bonus is halved if the weapon is in the offhand.

The sorcerer by the tree takes a single step towards Targus, mumbling softly under his breath, a brilliant hot cone of fire bursts from his fingertips setting grass around him on fire.

Burning Hands: [roll0]

The only other still mobile enemy simply races to shore and starts to run for the desert.

Ella
2010-06-13, 12:06 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/29385xd.jpg

Catch
2010-06-13, 01:13 PM
"Oh no you don't!"

Side-stepping toward the fleeing creature, Nava snatched the sickle from her belt and slashed at the creature in one smooth motion.

Free Action: Five-foot step to H3
Move Action: Draw her sickle
Attack Action: Perform Sapphire Nightmare Blade

Concentration check: [roll0]
- If this equals or exceeds the targets AC, the creature is flat-footed against Nava's attack.

Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll: [roll2]

Iaijutsu Focus rolled here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8692859&postcount=42) (success) and bonus damage rolled here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8692864&postcount=43) (8), for a total of 15.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 03:07 PM
Let's finish this!

After Nava dropped the creature next to him, Valleron's path to the child's would-be-captor was clear. Grabbing the trident firmly, he charged.

charge against #9, attack [roll0], including charge bonus, damage [roll1]

In the unlikely event it matters, -2 ac until my next action

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 03:08 PM
crit confirm [roll0], additional damage [roll1]

Tharione
2010-06-13, 03:19 PM
Targus readies to 5' step and shield bash if the one who attempted to burn him begins casting anything

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Kaulesh
2010-06-13, 04:42 PM
Kari-Mar moves back to her daggers while loading her crossbow.

Move to J8, load crossbow. If everyone dies before my next turn, I'll pick up my two daggers before we continue.

Ella
2010-06-13, 05:41 PM
Nava's attack drop the scaly creature dead, almost instantly destroying it entirely.

Valleron's attack kills the final enemy.

You all find yourselves standing by the river Nile, in some cases wet and others just plain muddy. The child is sitting still where it was dropped when Targus charged in to save it and Sireno makes his way back to shore with a completely confused look on his face.

Some of the bodies twitch occasionally, but others are clearly beyond even moving by reflex.

esorscher
2010-06-13, 05:42 PM
Barian goes around to the disabled foes, ensuring they are dead.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 05:56 PM
Valleron remembers to pick his sling where he dropped it before approaching the child. Are you alright?

Kaulesh
2010-06-13, 06:05 PM
Kari-Mar stows her crossbow and picks up her daggers, wiping them in the grass to clean the reptile blood off. "Foul creatures..."

Ella
2010-06-13, 06:21 PM
"I am just fine, I guess" The child responds, it stands up and straigtens out its clothes and checks its hat if firmly on.

600 exp each.

esorscher
2010-06-13, 06:22 PM
"Where did you come from, child?"

Ella
2010-06-13, 06:25 PM
"Out in the sands, I must thank you for springing the ambush those beasts have been following me for days, it is too long underground it drives them mad."

esorscher
2010-06-13, 06:28 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 06:29 PM
Detect Evil just in case

Ella
2010-06-13, 06:34 PM
Your sense motive reveals very little.
You detect evil, faintly coming from the unarmed child.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 06:44 PM
Why did they follow you, child? Valleron asked, his expression suddenly a lot less friendly.

Catch
2010-06-13, 06:59 PM
Nava sheathed her weapon and puffed a breath of relief. She had recalled the sword technique in a flash of insight, and now felt rather drained. Now, as the group gathered around the rescued child, she thumbed through her notes to see if she could deduce the strange child's origin.

Knoweldge (Arcana): [roll0]

Ella
2010-06-13, 07:10 PM
"They raid our settlements capturing us to take down to the land of the dead which exists beneath our feet, where they enslave us and make us serve their gods of old. Once you are completely under their control and they own your mind, body and soul they will send you back up to capture more slaves."

"I can feel you detecting evil noble Paladin who fought so hard to ensure I was not taken, does the result worry you that much?"

Your knowledge check reveals that the child belongs to a race of humanoid creatures called the cursed ones. There is very little information about them beyond the name.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 07:16 PM
Somewhat. I feel the taint has not yet overwhelmed you, so there might be hope.

Ella
2010-06-13, 07:19 PM
"All of us are tainted, our evil is in the blood my people that is." The child speaks with an attitude that could only be described as amused.

"The fact we all register as evil just increases the lengths we have to go to, to avoid humans and those kobolds, the reason I even came so far towards habitation is I found some old notes on our curse and want a cure."

esorscher
2010-06-13, 07:24 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Despite what the paladin may say, Barian remains suspicious.

Kaulesh
2010-06-13, 07:30 PM
"I take that to mean you desire assistance in this matter?"

[roll0]

esorscher
2010-06-13, 07:37 PM
Barian goes over and loots the bodies, foolishly having forgotten to do so as he made sure they were dead.

Ella
2010-06-13, 07:37 PM
"I was not planning to seek assistance until that attack, however if you do decide to assist me I intend to head towards that Oasis before I head out again. I will be leaving once I collect some equipment I might need."

The child reaches down and picks up a pinch of sand, adding it to a small pouch by its waist.

"If you do choose to join me, meet me there and there will be treasure."

The kids on the level, being honest.

Tharione
2010-06-13, 08:28 PM
Targus leaves the others to decide but decides to remind them:
"Remember our purpose for being out here."

esorscher
2010-06-13, 08:32 PM
"Indeed--we must find the reason for the water's strange flow."

Kaulesh
2010-06-13, 08:37 PM
Kari-Mar ponders the situation for a moment. "Kid, what's your name anyway? We can't just keep calling you kid.

"Perhaps we could work out a deal of some kind? I can't speak for my teammates, but I would be willing to help after our business is done. Your mission seems noble. All I would need in advance is information. Anything you know about the lowering of the river would be welcome."

Ella
2010-06-13, 08:55 PM
Amongst the bodies you find various items and equipment, including.

10 pp, 360 gp, 500 sp, 5000 cp
Bone Flute (90 gp)
Rabbit Fur Boots (60 gp)
Disguise Kit (50 gp)
Everburning Torch (110 gp)
Holy Water (3 flasks, 25 gp each)
Masterwork Sling (Medium) (300 gp)
Superior Lock (150 gp)
Arcane Scroll (Glitterdust (150 gp), Rope Trick (150 gp)) (total 300 gp)
Arcane Scroll (Magic Missile (25 gp), False Life (150 gp)) (total 175 gp)
Wand of Web (48 of 50 charges) (4320 gp)

The armour and weapons they had are all sized small, however there are spell pouches and books on some of the bodies as well as the ones that had been armed with spears appear to have been using javelins for that purpose leaving five of them.

Ella
2010-06-13, 09:01 PM
"My name is Sogdianus and why did you not tell me that you seek the cause of the rivers draining?"

He appears slightly agitated, he walks over to one of the fallen kobolds and kicks it.

"They follow orders mindlessly, and they mined into the river, flooding themselves, creating a vast underground river system through their own homes. The river of life splits and becomes a river of death far from the sight of the sun."

Sekolah
2010-06-13, 10:36 PM
"How can we hope to reverse that and complete our mission? Perhaps we should merely report what has happened and request that a wizard or druid be summoned to deal with altering the course of the river. This seems like an impossible task for guards such as us."

esorscher
2010-06-13, 10:41 PM
"I have no problem returning," Barian says, hefting the weighty loot from the kobolds. "It will be good to sell some of this, and convert the copper and silver to gold, if we can."

"Whose orders to they follow, Sogdianus?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 10:48 PM
Monetary conversion is hardly the priority here, while the city languishes. Dear comrades, we were ordered to discover what's happening and fix it. I believe Eunomia was very specific on the "and fix it" part. Let's not return with only half the job done.

esorscher
2010-06-13, 10:51 PM
"Fair enough, Valleron." Barian says, handing him the load of loot with a wink. "You can carry it, then. Let's investigate the mines, and see what we can find. Sogdianus, can you point us in the right direction?"

(50 coins = 1 pound. There are 5,870 coins, not to mention the rest of the loot.)

Ella
2010-06-13, 10:53 PM
Sireno speaks up. "How do you fix a hole in any vessel for carrying water?"

Sogdianus smirks. "You wouldn't believe it if I told you, would you accept creatures that have always been here but have slowly been usurped over time. Unlike me they wont pass for anything near human. The mines are only an hours travel along the river from here."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 10:55 PM
I care not much about the copper, Barian. 'tis heavy, but comes down to only 50 gold. I'll drop it here. If, by the time we go back, it's lost, you can take the 50 out of my share. What did we have there? Slightly above 1,000 per person? Yes, I think I can spare the 50 gold if that will convince you to move on.

Valleron then takes the other 870 coins, which I believe weigh a manageable 17 pounds.

Sekolah
2010-06-13, 11:10 PM
"I suppose it might be prudent to see how large these holes are. I am not optimistic however."

Gammon uses his one good hand to rub his stump as the conversation continues.

Tharione
2010-06-13, 11:17 PM
"best to see if anything can be done before assuming nothing can be."

Kaulesh
2010-06-13, 11:42 PM
"I'm not hopeful, but we did agree to this. I will not go back on my word."

Kari-Mar packs her portion of the spoils in her camel's saddle. "I'm ready to set out when you are."

Catch
2010-06-14, 08:35 PM
Nava had forgotten to speak for herself, caught up in a flurry of scribbling, she attempted to transcribe the conversation in her notebook. As the others were dividing treasure, she poked her head up over the ridge of the book.

"Um, I agree we ought to see if we can plug up the problem. And, um, if no one minds, I've been studying a bit of magic, so if we end up getting into another fight, I might be able to make use of some of those items."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 10:57 PM
Valleron helps load up the loot in the saddlebags.

Sogdianus, why don't you come with us? Is it really necessary for you to reach the oasis by yourself?

Valleron is worried, and can't decide whether he's worried for the child or about the child.

At Nava's request, Valleron considers making a snide comment about hoping her skill with spells being better than with a crossbow, but decides to bite his tongue. It won't be fair. She did, after all, fell that spellcaster with a most precise shot.

Sure, you can have them, if you can put them to good use.

Ella
2010-06-15, 11:35 PM
"I would be pleased to be of assistance, if you are in turn willing to assist."

Sogdianus starts pacing, slowly.

"I will have a lot of things to explain at the right time however, I fear the day you find my true form for the truth is likely to cause me harm. If you promise me to judge me by my deeds and words before you judge my shape I swear to give you any and all assistance."

All npcs are actually statted up as characters, and from this point onwards I am thinking of handing control of them over to the group. Two highest initiative rolls each control one perhaps until you dismiss/lose them. Because last battle Sireno was useless.

Tharione
2010-06-17, 05:05 PM
Targus mounts up his camel as skillfully as he can (not very) and begins to trot it slowly.

"I care not for form anyway, perhaps smell but not look."

Ella
2010-06-17, 06:27 PM
"The little one may ride with me." Sireno offers, helping the child onto his camel.

Only a short while later the river looks different, muddier and with the occasional body floating in its waters often just below the surface their bouyancy failing to overcome the weight of their leather clothes. A short while later you notice more bodies on the bottom of the river, slowly drifting, some weight must be holding them down allowing them to slowly scrape along the rivers bottom.

It is almost an hour later by your best judgement when you start to hear a sucking noise, somewhere within the reeds at the near side of the river, the waters draining away from the river gurgle and spit, occasionally forming a mini whirlpool sucking deeply from the river pulling the reeds around it into a fallen circle around its mouth.

with a DC of 5 no one missed the hole.

Kaulesh
2010-06-17, 10:42 PM
Kari-Mar breathlessly takes in the sight for a moment.

"So, did anyone bring a shovel? A very, very big shovel?"

Tharione
2010-06-19, 12:25 PM
Targus looks around for large rocks or boulders

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-19, 12:45 PM
Sure am glad now I took that rope.
Valleron ties one end of the rope to his waist. Can someone hold on to this please?

Assuming someone is willing to provide him with a safety line, Valleron wades into the water and approaches to get a better look. If there's a large boulder or a sturdy tree to tie the rope to, even better.

Ella
2010-06-22, 12:09 AM
The hole is surrounded by reeds, you are able to grab them to provide extra stability in exploring.

There are no large boulders around, and stones are barely bigger than your hand, the edges of the riverbank are thick with floating corpses, some have birds perched on their backs, pecking at their still hard skin.

"I will hold you." Sireno takes the end of the rope from Valleron and ties it to his camels saddle. "Who needs to use their own strength when they have such beautiful beasts to assist."

As Valleron approaches the hole, the water gets muddier and muddier, the spinning nature of the water around the hole is kicking up sediment and river mud. He can see that the diameter of the hole is roughly the same as his arm.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-23, 02:29 PM
Valleron, holding his hand against his mouth and nose, approaches some of the corpses. Do they bear and recognizible signs or uniforms? Do they have any signs of injury or disease? Are more bodies coming from upstream?

Ella
2010-06-24, 05:57 AM
The bodies seem to only be downstream from the hole in the riverbank, they bear no signs of injury beyond the fact they are obviously dead, they are dressed oddly with some wearing a touch of armour but most wearing nothing to leath tunics and carrying mining equipment.

"They would have been miners for the most part." the child speaks up, pointing towards the floating corpses.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 01:11 PM
Valleron

Maybe we can build a circular wall of rocks and mud around the swirling hole, force the river to go around? What do you think?

How deep is the water around the swirling hole anyway? ie., how tall will the wall have to be?

Ella
2010-06-29, 01:14 PM
"If you want to do that, I would be honoured to assist in this venture." Sireno smiles, his eyes affixed to the hole.

The water around the hole is shallow, its near the banks of the river and would be as deep at your mid shin.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 01:33 PM
Well then, we go to work. Hauling rocks in sacks and saddlebags, dropping them around the hole in a circle, and strenghtening the construction with mud and reeds.

Hopefully we can count on the help of the absentees?

Also, need to take into account the fact that once the downpour is stopped, the level of water is likely to rise, so we build the wall to match this expected water level.

Ella
2010-06-29, 01:52 PM
Sireno and Sogdianus start to pile rocks of all sizes into the saddly bags of the various camels, with the assistance of the rest of the party. As each camel has a full load they walk it towards the wall for ease unloading.

As the wall is built, the water entering the shaft in the riverbed slows to a trickle, seeping through and around rocks, the water level slowly starts to return to its original height.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 02:02 PM
Wow, it actually worked. Now, we need to remove the dead bodies from the river. They pollute the water the people downstream drink.

I don't think we can afford to give each one a proper burial, what is the local gods' position on cremation?

Ella
2010-06-29, 02:07 PM
"Throw the bodies in the hole, let them deal with their own dead" Sireno suggests.

"Or leave them in the sun for the animals, for my people we use the sun and the birds to remove bodies so as not to contaminate the earth or fire." Sogdianus counters.

Persian's will strongly disapprove of it, other groups will not be offended.
Knowledge: Religion check if you want to discover more about Sogdianus.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 02:13 PM
Know: Religion [roll0]

Ella
2010-06-29, 02:16 PM
Valleron realises that the ceremony described sounds similar if not the same to ritual within Persia.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 09:48 AM
Valleron contemplates both suggestions. Throwing the bodies down the hole doesn't seem very respectful toward the dead, nor safe for the living who might be down there.

Let's set the bodies on the shore and ... well, we can't dig proper graves, but let's cover them with some sand at least.

After this is done, Valleron turns to Sogdianus.

We have to return to the city at some point and report to our superiors. What are your plans?

Ella
2010-06-30, 09:51 AM
"Give me your word as a paladin that you wont slay me without good cause and I will follow and assist as best I can until you assist me in my mission."

The party helps to move the bodies, moving them to shore and cover them in sand.

"Shall we race back to Naucratis?" Sireno looks amazed that the problem was actually solved.

Take 150 RP XP, I hadn't even considered the tainted water supply aspect, so I was all kinds of impressed :)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 09:56 AM
Very well, I give you my word. And I do hope we can help you soon enough. Let's go.

Along the way, Valleron considers the attitude of some of his fellow guards. They weren't any help at all, didn't show any initiative ... so passive, good only for menial jobs, and even that, only under constant supervision. I have to talk to my superiors and get them replaced by other, hopefully more proactive fellows.

Ella
2010-06-30, 10:00 AM
In no time at all, you see Naucratis on the horizon, the sun is past the midday mark and heading down rapidly, you continue on at a decent speed Sireno is still allowing the child to ride with him. As you ride by the river you see the water level continuing to rise.

Upon reaching Naucratis Sireno leaps off his camel. "We must leave them here, I will tend to them and ensure they are rested and well fed. Go on."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 10:03 AM
Thank you, Cyrano. You were an invaluable help on this mission.

Upon entering the city, Valleron seeks out Eunomia.

Ella
2010-06-30, 10:21 AM
Eunomia is sitting near the docks on some merchants bundle of goods left beside the wharf, she has watched the waters slow rise with amazement.

Seeing the adventurers she grins broadly, assuming correctly it was there intevention that saved the entire city from a terrible dry poverty.

"Welcome back brave heroes!" She sings out.

Kaulesh
2010-06-30, 10:44 AM
"Eunomia! We were successful. The plan was all Valleron's idea, though."

Ella
2010-06-30, 04:06 PM
"Your success makes me glad, and our city safe once more."

Kaulesh take 75 xp for surviving the first mission.

The slow pace of levelling up in PBP means smarts will be rewards as much as brawn, and by the rate of player atrophy survival in this mission without having your mind blasted into the point you become a lifeless puppet earns XP from me :P

If the pair of you want a limit on how many new players I introduce just let me know otherwise I will accept all the finished sheets.

"Head to the academy, and report to Anaxagoras."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 04:14 PM
Eunomia, we only placed a makeshift wall on the water's path. It holds for now, but you may want, at some later point, to send skilled masons there to put a plug on it properly.

To the academy we go!

Ella
2010-06-30, 04:17 PM
"I will send some up as soon as possible then, best we don't have a repeat of this, it would send the council into another bout of the terrors."

Eunomia smiles.

Ella
2010-06-30, 04:35 PM
Anaxagoras finds himself looking at another group of new graduates of the Naucratis Military Academy, and struggles not to beam proudly. A single man all his life he has come to view each new recruit as a child and that leaves him full of contentment when they graduate with success.

"I see you all have your equipment ready, but you must now choose one of the daggers, you know they might just save your life someday. They are a sign that you are proud to serve the Emporer and the city of Naucratis and just maybe something else too."

He holds out his hands, within them are golden daggers with animal head pommels and the options are goat, peacock, tiger, shark, rabbit and eagle. By his side you notice a golden sword within a brilliant scabbard the head on it is that of a bear.

In the back of the courtyard of the Academy he sees the return of the party he had sent out so recently, if they were successful perhaps he could set a couple of them to watch the new recruits.

Smiling-Jack
2010-06-30, 04:49 PM
Deeg furrowed his brow at the daggers, he was sure that they conveyed some secretive meaning, one that would probably be written down by somebody, and he wasn't sure what they meant. Did the pictures mean something in hyroglyphic? What would they say if he chose the wrong one? Deeg grabbed a hold of himself and reached out to one of the daggers, before he took it he glanced up into Anaxagoras's face, searching for the right answer, finding none he chose a dagger at random, it turned out to be a goat.

No-one seemed to care which one he took, and no-one wrote anything down, he was safe.

Eadin
2010-06-30, 04:54 PM
Eliana examined each dagger carefully.
They were all beautiful, but the peacock one appealed to her the most.
Used to following her instincts, she picked up the peacock dagger and smiled.
"I choose this one, master"

Ella
2010-06-30, 05:01 PM
"I don't expect much more drama today, everyone is warn out from the water terror. Eunomia sent a runner and has requested some heavy labour to assist with plugging it forever. Kari-Mar, Valleron would you mind taking care of the new recruits for a while the rest of you will have to head down to the docks there is rocks to gather, move and stack."

Anagoras couldn't help himself, while it wasn't strictly a matter of rewarding the two who Sireno had sent a runner with the best report about and punishing the rest it still might help provide some additional motivation.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 06:10 PM
Not without some sadness Valleron says goodbye to four of his friends. He's especially worried about Gammon - how he's supposed to stack rocks with only one arm? But oh well, to each their task. He bows to Anagoras.

With pleasure, sir. Would you mind if we splurge on some extra equipment before embarking on our next task?

He then turns to the new people.

Hello, I'm Valleron, pleased to meet you.

Eadin
2010-06-30, 06:23 PM
Eliana barely noticed one of the adventurers adressing them.
She had just realised that she had graduated the academy and was now an adventurer herself.She almost dropped her new dagger when she heard one of them speak.

Nice to meet you too, my name's Eliana.

She blushed, barely out of school graduated and already making a fool of herself.

Ella
2010-06-30, 06:30 PM
"You get the rest of the day easy, splurge all you want just make sure that you polish your armour regularly, take it from me the sand does more damage than you would expect."

The four members of the party being sent back up the river depart, leaving behind the loot from the battle earlier in full.

Kaulesh
2010-06-30, 07:21 PM
Kari-Mar gestures toward the pile of random items on the ground while speaking to Valleron. "How are two people going to spend all of that by ourselves? Perhaps we could spare some coin for the fresh graduates? It seems that we may be working together for a bit."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 07:57 PM
Of course we'll share. Now that we're one unit, don't want anyone to be underequipped.

Ella
2010-06-30, 11:58 PM
"Tannis will be looking forwards to seeing you, I think, she has been wondering what sort of equipment you will order all the time you were gone today. She might be seen grumpy but I honestly think she finds the creation of weapons and armour to be the highlight of her day."

Rannil
2010-07-01, 12:27 AM
Ismene came running in a bit late. "Sorry Master, but there were troubles in the..." She stops to catch breath and gets informed about the daggers. She carefully picks out the the one with the rabbit and examines all sides. Then she notices the adventure party and bows. "Greetings, my name is Ismene."

Ella
2010-07-01, 12:32 AM
"Wonderful choices all of you, oh and Sireno sent a message, apparently you have a tiny new friend who will be staying with him until you are ready, whatever that means."

Anaxagoras takes a seat, giving you a sign of dismissal.

Smiling-Jack
2010-07-01, 11:36 AM
Deeg smiled to himself, happy to just be around people, almost forgetting to introduce himself, it was a little bit too late now though, he thought. How would he do it now without looking like an idiot? Should he stay silent and pretend that he thought they would already know his name? No, that was stupid, he should just say his name, just slip it in, no-one would notice it, he'd be fine.

"I'm Deeg!", Deeg said, rather too loudly, before looking at his feet.

Ella
2010-07-02, 02:39 PM
"You had all better get to know each other, your lives might someday depend upon it." Anaxagoras yawns, and stretches.

Smiling-Jack
2010-07-02, 02:47 PM
Deeg looked at his new found friends, and said:

"I'm Deeg!"

After a very brief period of silence he realised that his feet had suddenly become extremely interesting and proceeded to stare at them whilst his cheeks went a shade of red comparable to his hair.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-02, 03:11 PM
Well met Deeg, Ismene and Eliana. We have some treasure to spend, will you help us?

Smiling-Jack
2010-07-02, 04:57 PM
Deeg looked up, glad of the distraction from his embarrassment.

"I'd be happy to, what would you like us to buy?"

Rannil
2010-07-02, 11:12 PM
Ismene was secretly looking at Deeg, not trying to giggle but he looked so silly. But her laughing would make things worse and she bit her lip. "Greetings Deeg and... Sir" She didn't hear the name of the adventure that spoke, nor the other, maybe she missed the names because she was late. She could hit herself. "Ooh, shopping trip. I mean, I am honored to assist."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-03, 01:18 AM
Valleron looked around in confusion to see who was Ismene referring to as 'sir'. Anagoras had already left, had he not? Maybe.. nah, couldn't be him. He turned to Deeg.

Well, speaking of myself, I'm going to buy a good sturdy Greatsword, and if I can afford it, upgrade the armor a bit. The equipment we got when we enlisted ... it was adequate, but we can do better. What about you, Deeg, you a fighting man? Hands itching for a good sword too, maybe?

Smiling-Jack
2010-07-03, 04:48 AM
Deeg looked at Valleron, confused a bit by his generosity, but nevertheless intrigued.

"Oh, yes, I mean, not a sword, my tribe rarely used swords, too much metal, we usually use what we call a 'Loncheen' it's basically like a spear but with a blade that goes down the side a bit, like a glaive but less well made and you had to sharpen it every couple of minutes unless you wanted to club an enemy to death, which is not a very good way to kill somebody an-"

Deeg stopped himself before he got too carried away, then tried again:

"So I guess I'd like to use a glaive, provided that's okay with you, umm, sir?"

Eadin
2010-07-03, 09:33 AM
" I would be glad to help! What do you need? "

Kaulesh
2010-07-03, 10:08 AM
Realizing that she hadn't introduced herself yet, Kari-Mar looks slightly embarrassed. "Erm... Hi. I'm Kari-Mar. Nice to meet you all."

cd4
2010-07-03, 01:44 PM
One of the Daggers (the one with the tiger head) disappears before Talen steps out of the shadows.
Thank you sir for teaching me some honour, I will try and remember all your lessons.

He turns to the rest of the group. Ah we meet again. He frowns. Or maybe not this was a big academy and I don't recall meeting you before. My name is Talen. Pleased to meet you.

I heard some discussion on the subject of equipment, I think I would like some different weapons as I prefer light blades to a mace, preferably 2 blades.

Rannil
2010-07-03, 02:21 PM
Ismene stares at Talen for moment. "Any more people hidden in those shadows? Anyways greetings Kari-Mar and Talen. If I could add personal wishes for equipment." She thinks for a moment. "While I didn't really expect to fight myself, I even use my spear as parasol, a weapon of choice would be a mace, I dislike shedding blood." Without noticing herself she places her hand on her holy symbol while stating that. "And better armor and shield wouldn't hurt."

Eadin
2010-07-03, 02:36 PM
"I guess better armor is always usefull...
I don't need any new weapons, except maybe a sicle..."
She wasn't really a weapons-person ,her spells were all she really needed.

"We might need to get some food and water too"

Ella
2010-07-04, 10:03 PM
"One last thing" Anaxagoras eyes the group carefully "I have just a few more graduates to present with their daggers but Valleron and Kari-Mar when you see Tannis you had best tell her of your promotions, sort the new ones however you want but the pair of you are now in command of a small unit, a test of your capabilities in a sense."

"Make me proud."

Kaulesh
2010-07-04, 10:21 PM
Kari-Mar performs a bow to her former headmaster. "You are too kind, sir. I will do my best."

Ella
2010-07-04, 10:24 PM
"You needn't wait for the last few, I can send them to you when they finish their final testing within these walls, if they pass, I will give them some armour, a dagger and send them chasing after you."

Hefting his sword out of its scabbard, he holds it so it reflects the light, it bounces off the blade and onto his faces, showing every detail clearly.

"Keep moving ahead at the rate you are going, and you will end up with one of these of your own."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-04, 11:33 PM
Thank you Sir, for this assignment, as well as the added fighting strength.

We are becoming a formidable unit indeed!

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-07-05, 12:30 AM
Wearing a simple tunic and sandals, Adrastos entered the room just as the party was starting to get ready to leave. He looked around, curious as to where he was to get his gear.

VinGoodman
2010-07-05, 12:36 AM
Similarly garbed, Darrius joins Adrastos but a moment later. "You got here before me again! Where's everyone els...WAIT!"