PDA

View Full Version : Best Quasilaycanthropic Animals

nolispe
2010-05-26, 10:45 PM
So, I have found myself playing a quasilycanthropic character, but I have the option as to what animal. What would the playground suggest?

Flickerdart
2010-05-26, 10:46 PM
Animal? Pff. Turn into giant wasps/ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a)

Maerok
2010-05-26, 10:47 PM
http://www.creativeworlds.net/Artwork/magikarp.png

:smallbiggrin:

Edit: And humans are animals too. Well not 'Animal's but close enough... </catgirl>

Mando Knight
2010-05-26, 11:19 PM
Pokémon are Magical Beasts, not Animals.

Anxe
2010-05-26, 11:22 PM
Wolf or Tiger? Everything else just isn't as fierce.

Temotei
2010-05-26, 11:26 PM
Pokémon are Magical Beasts, not Animals.

Porygon and Porygon 2 could arguably be (living?) constructs.

Dragonite is probably a dragon. Charizard might be.

There's sure to be some aberrations out there too.

Mando Knight
2010-05-26, 11:32 PM
Porygon and Porygon 2 could arguably be (living?) constructs.

Dragonite is probably a dragon. Charizard might be.

There's sure to be some aberrations out there too.

Well, of course. Some are Plant instead, and others are at least arguably Undead (other than being ghost-like, Ghost Pokémon aren't literal ghosts, which are completely different), and so forth. But in general, your run-of-the-mill Pokémon falls more under Magical Beast than Animal or Vermin due to their higher number of abilities that are a good deal more absurd than mundane animals.

Maerok
2010-05-26, 11:34 PM
What books do you have at your disposal? I'm sure there's something that'll suit your needs in MM1, MM2, MM3, MM4, MM5 (?), or one of the other books.

Mewtarthio
2010-05-26, 11:38 PM
D&D has some pretty nasty Animals, though. Like Dire Boars with their vorpal tusks. You could certainly argue for throwing a lot of Normal-types into the "Animal" category, especially weaker ones like Rattata and Magikarp. None of them would be Vermin, though.

Cog
2010-05-27, 12:40 AM
D&D has some pretty nasty Animals, though. Like Dire Boars with their vorpal tusks.

"Razor Boars" are Magical Beast-type, at least according to the SRD.

The Tygre
2010-05-27, 12:53 AM
Bear. Shoot for Dire Bear if you can. Not original, I know, but good hit points, good attack = mini-tank. If you want to spice things up, though...

Were-Tyrannosaurus Rex (or smaller variation thereof)

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-27, 01:08 AM
Dire Weasels are fun.
Con Drain on Bites (Attached).
So, grapple+Bite on a lycanthropic weasel. Yum.

Eloel
2010-05-27, 01:10 AM
Wait, does this discussion really exist?
Fleshraker
[/thread]

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-27, 01:19 AM
Wolf or Tiger Riding dog or Bear. Everything else just isn't as fierce.

Oh hai I fixed this 4u ^_^

true_shinken
2010-05-27, 08:03 AM
quasilycanthropic? Would you mind explaining this?

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 08:06 AM
I would say Smilodon or Mammoth

AstralFire
2010-05-27, 08:06 AM
Well, of course. Some are Plant instead, and others are at least arguably Undead (other than being ghost-like, Ghost Pokémon aren't literal ghosts, which are completely different), and so forth. But in general, your run-of-the-mill Pokémon falls more under Magical Beast than Animal or Vermin due to their higher number of abilities that are a good deal more absurd than mundane animals.

Magikarp are pretty mundane.

2010-05-27, 08:11 AM
quasilycanthropic? Would you mind explaining this?

Maybe it means sort-of were-something?

Assuming you're going for DnD 3.5, Shifters are sort-of were-something without having to worry about accessibility. You can play a level 1 shifter, for instance.

For the real deal, but still with some accessibility, you might want to read this series of articles.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp

You can acquire a template one level at a time, meaning you can do it at lower levels, or in an ongoing game without stealing the party spotlight. Check it out.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-27, 08:12 AM
IMO, you should choose something such that your semi-hybrid form looks as different from you as possible. The Disguise Self ability is the only ability that varies based on the species, and the only use I can think of for that is using your disguised form as your adventuring "secret identity", in which case you'd want to look as different as possible.

Also, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a

mikej
2010-05-27, 08:32 AM
http://www.creativeworlds.net/Artwork/magikarp.png

Great job Magikarp! Now finish them off with your Splash attack!

Eloel
2010-05-27, 10:44 AM
Great job Magikarp! Now finish them off with your Splash attack!
I've found that Magikarp works best when it's out of attacks, and using Struggle. Yes, it's marginally better than Tackle.

Jair Barik
2010-05-27, 10:48 AM
Well don't just limit to yourself to the feeble allowances of the rules.
We once fought were spiders and given that there are fules for Vampiric, Lich, Zombie, Ghost and skeleton dragons I'm sure you could get some sort of were-dragon thing going. Alternatively were-Phoenix could be funny, every full moon you burst into flames and are reborn.

ninjaneer003
2010-05-27, 11:03 AM
KOALA!!! Flying tree attack! you'd be able to climb like no other
http://med-legend.com/mt/archives/images/2006/10/dropbear.jpg

DragoonWraith
2010-05-27, 11:06 AM
Were-Murder-of-Crows.

Jair Barik
2010-05-27, 11:12 AM
Nah thats called a swarm shifter.

Fishy
2010-05-27, 11:36 AM
No love for the were-Dire Bat?

Prime32
2010-05-27, 12:05 PM
This is a joke thread, right?

"Quasilycanthrope" is an inherited template that can be added to any humanoid or giant (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type: The base creature's type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. The lycanthrope takes a few characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal).

A quasilycanthrope uses the base creature's statistics and special abilities in addition to those described here.

Special Qualities: A quasilycanthrope retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains those described below.

Disguise Self (Su): A quasilycanthrope can shift its own form ever so slightly. This works just like a disguise self spell cast at the quasilycanthrope's character level except that the guises the quasilycanthrope can assume must involve some aspect of the base animal. For example, a quasiwerewolf can grow shaggy hair and pointed canine teeth. A quasiweretiger can grow whiskers and a tail. The quasilycanthrope cannot change body types or give itself natural weaponry.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A quasilycanthrope has damage reduction 10/silver.The template doesn't give you any abilities of the animal, just DR, the shapechanger subtype and the ability to make your hair grow (or do this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SproutingEars)).

The Mentalist
2010-05-27, 12:21 PM
That template's new to me, where's it from?

Mongoose87
2010-05-27, 12:47 PM
The only real choice is HYPNO TOAD.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-27, 12:50 PM
I so want to be play an awakened cat. Not a tibbit, though they are awesome, an actual factual cat. I would go for either rogue or sorceress with eschew materials. Basically, I would be the party pet.

Mongoose87
2010-05-27, 12:52 PM
I so want to be play an awakened cat. Not a tibbit, though they are awesome, an actual factual cat. I would go for either rogue or sorceress with eschew materials. Basically, I would be the party pet.

I want to play either a cat rogue or a monkey factotum. myabe one with the other as a cohort. Cat Burglar and Skill-Monkey!

The Glyphstone
2010-05-27, 12:53 PM
The template doesn't give you any abilities of the animal, just DR, the shapechanger subtype and the ability to make your hair grow (or do this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SproutingEars)).

so, it's a Furry template.

why not just use Anthromorphic Animals at that point? You get actual stat modifiers and abilities.

Mewtarthio
2010-05-27, 12:56 PM
I want to play either a cat rogue or a monkey factotum. myabe one with the other as a cohort. Cat Burglar and Skill-Monkey!

You're overlooking the obvious choice here: Awakened Cat Psion (Telepath) / Thrallherd. You sit on your Thrall's lap while issuing him telepathic commands to run your criminal empire. Nobody would ever suspect you...

Ravens_cry
2010-05-27, 12:59 PM
You're overlooking the obvious choice here: Awakened Cat Psion (Telepath) / Thrallherd. You sit on your Thrall's lap while issuing him telepathic commands to run your criminal empire. Nobody would ever suspect you...
". . .And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset… people die!"
Dr. Evil, Thrall.

subject42
2010-05-27, 01:03 PM

A quasiwerebear would go nicely with the ultimate bear challenge that pops up on here now and then.

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 02:05 PM
What about an Awakened Wasp? You are Diminuative, and have class levels???

Ravens_cry
2010-05-27, 02:13 PM
What about an Awakened Wasp? You are Diminuative, and have class levels???
The role play aspects would be intriguing. Yes, you are a sapient, sentient being, but you still have a base level loyalty to the hive. The war between instinct and intellect would be fascinating to see in action, if played well.

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 02:14 PM
The role play aspects would be intriguing. Yes, you are a sapient, sentient being, but you still have a base level loyalty to the hive. The war between instinct and intellect would be fascinating to see in action, if played well.

That's what makes hive-minded insects so amusing, if Awakened

Thajocoth
2010-05-27, 02:20 PM
A few suggestions. One of them's serious, but I'm not telling which:

Were-Man. By day, he's an ordinary man, but when the moon is full, his shape changes to that of a man!

Were-Tarrasque.

Were-10' Pole. That's right, you become a mundane item.

Were-Spider.

Were-Zombie. The constant dying, undying & rebirth could be interesting.

Were-Kangaroo.

Were-God. Would this make you a minor deity of the Moon God?