PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cooperative Spell

dextercorvia
2010-05-26, 10:48 PM
It seems from the description of the feat that a cooperative spell can be cast without other 'helpers', to no added effect. Is this correct by RAW? I seldom see it on the list of +0 metamagic feats to use with arcane thesis.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-26, 11:08 PM
It seems from the description of the feat that a cooperative spell can be cast without other 'helpers', to no added effect. Is this correct by RAW? I seldom see it on the list of +0 metamagic feats to use with arcane thesis.

That's because it's horrible. It basically exists as a prerequisite feat tax for getting into Mage of the Arcane Order.

dextercorvia
2010-05-26, 11:10 PM
Which is why I'm wondering about it. I'm building a Wizard aiming for MotAO, specializing in certain metamagic tricks.

PId6
2010-05-26, 11:22 PM
There's nothing that says you can't. Invisible's usually better since it has applications outside of Thesis, but if you're looking to fully cheese out a spell, it should work.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-26, 11:23 PM
Cooperative spell is a terrible in-combat option, since it limits two characters' actions and actually reduces action economy advantage.

The only situations where it would be useful is if two or more people (presumably members of the Arcane Order) needed to use a spell like Scrying on a target. Out of combat, people can cooperate on such spells, jacking up their save DC, etc., which can be useful.

Similarly, it could probably be used to cooperatively construct extra potent traps, such as Symbols.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-26, 11:26 PM
If I remember correctly, the Red Wizard of Thay's version of "casting together" is quite potent, unlike Cooperative Spell...

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-26, 11:28 PM
On a similar note, what's a good use for the Metaconcert psionic power?

PId6
2010-05-26, 11:30 PM
If I remember correctly, the Red Wizard of Thay's version of "casting together" is quite potent, unlike Cooperative Spell...
Circle Magic. Goes great with Leadership. :smallamused:

crizh
2010-05-27, 04:42 AM
On a similar note, what's a good use for the Metaconcert psionic power?

Everything you ever do?

You can't argue with a +10 to all save DC's and using a bunch of mooks as PP batteries and xp sinks is pretty good also.

My current application involves using a Metamorphosis trap to transform said mooks into objects that can be kept safely in an adamantine case secreted about my Thrallherd's person once the Metaconcert has been activated.

Eldan
2010-05-27, 05:20 AM
"And this ring used to be a farmer. I'm now draining his memories and life force away to power my animated frying pan."

That's just deliciously evil.