PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Feat] Oath Shot

Lev
2010-05-27, 04:37 AM
Req- Point Blank Shot, Cha 13
Declare an Oath Shot, then make your attack roll.
If an oath shot hits it's designated target you gain a +1 moral bonus to attack rolls for 1d4+1 rounds, if you miss you gain -1 moral bonus to attack rolls for 1d4+1 rounds. This feat may effect your leadership score and effects at your DM's discretion.

Ashtagon
2010-05-27, 04:46 AM
"I swear by Mighty Thor's axe that I will hit this tree stump by my feet. Shave me if I lie."

As written, it looks like a cheap way to spend an action to gain a short-term morale bonus.

I'd tie the bonus to the difficulty of the shot.

Lev
2010-05-27, 04:53 AM
Mm, something like an enemy outside of your normal range increment?

Spiryt
2010-05-27, 04:53 AM
Super weak for a feat IMO, also needs clarification how much times you can declare it, if it stacks et cetera.

Ashtagon
2010-05-27, 04:59 AM
I'd make the morale bonus and duration equal your charisma bonus, make it usable a very limited number of times per day (maybe even once per day - swearing a mighty oath isn't something done lightly in literature), and drop the penalties for missing (not getting your bonus or the attack's damage is penalty enough; feats generally shouldn't have bad side-effects anyway). Wouldn't hurt to require the target to be at least half your range increment (or 30 feet, whichever is greater) away.

Lev
2010-05-27, 05:13 AM
Mmm, how about you gain a +1 bonus for (1round/charisma mod)+(1round/number of range increments away) and you can only use it once per hour? You don't have to RP it has a beard-beard the beardiest pirate of them all swearing a mighty braided oath to hit lest he lose all his mead and hair products. It could just be an assassin's promise to himself to hit... let's call it emotional investment.

The roleplaying aspect I'm thinking of is somewhat like a group moral effect like that of a japanese legend I remember-- an army approached the shore and out of it the leader of the army came out of the boat offering the legendary archer on horse to surrender, he proposed a condition, if he could hit the flag on top of their ship then they would leave, if he missed he would surrender. The leader scoffed and agreed, the range increment was something nuts. Long story short, he hit it, won, became a legend.