PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] balancing a custom disguise spell

Darastin
2010-05-27, 08:56 AM
I'm currently working on an advanced version of Disguise Self and still pondering on what it can and can not do.

It's supposed to be a second-level Sor/Wiz transmutation spell (either a custom spell or a variant/housruled version of Alter Self since we usually don't play with Polymorph-type spells).

The basic idea is: "Like Disguise Self, but real to the touch." Including cosmetic changes to your equipment. What it should not do is giving you any kind of functional advantage. Exact wording is not considered important - the spell is mentioned for usage in my current group and will be used according to intent, not wording.

My current ideas are:

2nd level Sor/Wiz transmutation spell, personal range, 10 minutes/CL duration
no stat changes
appearance changes as per Disguise Self, but real and including voice, body odor, skin texture and so on
apparent equipment changes as per Disguise Self
+10 to disguise checks, merely concealing your own identity from a casual observer is trivial
any equipment leaving your possession reverts to normal
any apparent change exceeding purely cosmetic ones results in impeded (or lack of enhanced) functionality - anything you change still behaves like the original where possible, otherwise it behaves like a very simple improvised item to appear plausible
worn clothes and small accessoires can be created "out of nowhere"; tools, weapons and armor or special clothing have to be changed existing items

Some examples for functional changes:

fake plate armor confers plate armor encumberance (ACP, ASF, reduced movement and so on), but only the protection of your current armor
turning armor into "weaker" armor or clothing suppresses all protective and magical qualities, but keeps original encumberance
turning a weapon into a similar, but slightly larger one (e.g dagger to short sword) keeps the original weapon statistics and magic
changing a weapon into something more different turns it into an improvised weapon of the original's size and type, suppressing any magical qualities
creating false natural weapons gives you light improvised weapons of the appropriate type, dealing damage as a normal unarmed strike (no enhanced damage for monks and the like, but you are considered armed)
fake tools only confer the bare minimum of functionality to remain believable - you can use a fake hammer, but a fake magnifying glass won't magnify anything
valuable clothing and jewelry will appear as cheap upon close examination (unless they are cosmetic changes to other valuable/high quality gear worn)
changing into a troglodyte makes your skin feel scaly and rigid and emit an uncomfortable stench, but won't grant you any natural armor or cause nausea
observing discrepancies between your or your equipment's appearance and its actual behaviour might (partially) compromise the disguise - roll another spot vs. disguise check; at the DMs discretion, lose some or all of the +10 bonus from the spell depending on the severity of the discrepancy; one check per discrepancy per encounter

So, my most important questions are:
Would this concept be acceptable for the given parameters (2nd level spell, 10 minutes/level duration)?
Did I miss anything really important? Again, I don't care about exact wording or minor details; I'm looking for major conceptual issues.

Thanks in advance,
Darastin

Quietus
2010-05-27, 09:04 AM
Seems really complicated, to me. Personally, I'd go with a few minor changes to Alter Self.

Remove : The ability to assume many of the special traits of whatever you're turning into (no natural armor boosts or the like, no additional movement modes), though you gain natural attacks as appropriate.

Gain : Inclusion of equipment and gear changes, appropriate to the new form. Weapons can change shape, but not level of effort required - You can turn a longsword into another weapon able to be weilded one-handed, or a scythe into one used two-handed. You could turn a scythe into, say, a bastard sword, but it would need to be weilded two-handed, as it is improperly balanced for use otherwise.

And then smack anyone upside the head if they try and go against the spirit of the spell.

Darastin
2010-05-27, 10:22 AM
Seems really complicated, to me. Personally, I'd go with a few minor changes to Alter Self.

Remove : The ability to assume many of the special traits of whatever you're turning into (no natural armor boosts or the like, no additional movement modes), though you gain natural attacks as appropriate.

Gain : Inclusion of equipment and gear changes, appropriate to the new form. Weapons can change shape, but not level of effort required - You can turn a longsword into another weapon able to be weilded one-handed, or a scythe into one used two-handed. You could turn a scythe into, say, a bastard sword, but it would need to be weilded two-handed, as it is improperly balanced for use otherwise.
That's actually very similar to what I'm aiming for, but I'm not comfortable with morphing weapons or creating fully functional natural weapons. Using a disguise spell to turn Roy's greatsword into a maul to bypass Lord Xykon's DR just feels wrong. Too much combat utility. That's why I prefer "it works as before or it's just an improvised tool".

On the other hand... if the DM feels like he has to take away something from my version just because then this might be just the right point to start. But he's usually quite sensible, so I'd rather make a honest suggestion and keep those "cheap" negotiation tricks out in RL where it wastes lots of money, but not our fun :smallcool:

And then smack anyone upside the head if they try and go against the spirit of the spell.
Good idea.. bit the spell is intended for my character; I surely won't try to abuse it and I certainly won't smack myself :smallamused:

Just my two Euro-cents;
Darastin

Prime32
2010-05-27, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use alter self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm).

Darastin
2010-05-27, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use alter self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm).
Alter Self can do things with your body (stat changes, natural armor, natural weapons etc.) which I don't need.

It can not do anything with your equipment, which is what I do need.

Just my two Euro-cents;
Darastin

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't the Changeling Change Shape ability work for you? But removing the line that says that clothing is unaffected? I mean, it's exactly what you want. Though I skimmed your post. So I might be wrong. :smallbiggrin: