PDA

View Full Version : Gear for the Neverending Dungeon

gallagher
2010-05-27, 09:03 AM
say i have about 130 gp left to buy gear. i already have a backpack, bedroll, some torches, some chalk, two sacks, and a holy symbol (im a cloistered cleric/warlock) and i have studded leather armor and a buckler.

what else should i buy?

Quietus
2010-05-27, 09:05 AM
Everburning torch. What else would be worth having in an unending dungeon crawl, than a torch that will never go out?

Radar
2010-05-27, 10:46 AM
Collapsable 21 ft pole, light and strudy rope (there is this one made of elven hair or something) are essential. Grappling hook might be a good idea as well as as some caltrops and maybe flour (for a cheap See Invisible substitute). Take a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) thread (and the others linked there) for more ideas.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-27, 11:00 AM
Shapesand. It will run you 100g and is found in Sandstorm.

2xMachina
2010-05-27, 12:20 PM
Ditch the bedroll (no mechanical effect), and 1 sack (do you expect to be hauling that much loot?). Ditch the extra torches also (each one can last a while, or I suggest darkvision races. Maybe Dragonborn. That's 100gp spent though)

Remember your 11' or 12' pole. Also, grappling hooks and other anti-trappy stuff. (NED OP advice)

Also, get weapons. Yes, you don't need them, but I think you'd rather have a weapon. Quarterstaff maybe. It's free.

Seatbelt
2010-05-27, 12:50 PM
I vaguely remember penalties for poor quality rest. I'd rule that without a bedroll, you don't sleep well on the hard stone floor.

sofawall
2010-05-27, 01:25 PM
Liquid Sunlight is like an Everburning Torch, but cheaper!

Also, Pitons are useful, I've found. Amazing how hard it is to open a door jammed with a score o' pitons.

jiriku
2010-05-27, 01:34 PM
You need a towel, obviously.

When your fellow party members discover that you have a towel with you, they will automatically assume that you is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the others will then happily lend you any of these or a dozen other items that the you might accidentally have "lost". What the party will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the never-ending dungeon, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Weezer
2010-05-27, 02:45 PM
You don't seem to have any rope. You need it. I never create a character that doesn't carry at least 100 ft of rope. Also useful are grappling hooks, pitons, flint and steel (how else to light torches?), oil (burning things is good even without a lantern) and the essential 11 foot collapsible pole (Dungeon Scape). That should get you well on your way.

LibraryOgre
2010-05-27, 03:14 PM
Rope is good. I also suggest throwing in some candles (occasionally useful to have small amounts of light, or to use them as a timer), and a flint/steel kit. If you've got gold hanging around, it's useful to pick up some tindertwigs.

gallagher
2010-05-27, 03:19 PM
i forgot that i also had rope! you never leave without rope.

anyway, this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=210497)is my character sheet, please feel free to make comments. my first invocation i am taking is summon swarm, as it will be a good use of constant damage. also, as i recall, eldritch blast doesnt break my concentration, though i may be wrong.

sofawall
2010-05-27, 03:27 PM
Also, toss in another ~150 gp for my character. We're a team :D

Redshirt Army
2010-05-27, 03:28 PM
Consider me another vote for Shapesand- It can replicate most of the other equipment mentioned here.

sofawall
2010-05-27, 03:30 PM
Assuming you have a decent wisdom score. My Warforged, for example, is running around with a 6.

gallagher
2010-05-27, 03:46 PM
Assuming you have a decent wisdom score. My Warforged, for example, is running around with a 6.
well i AM half-cleric, so i have a 16 IIRC. i guess i now have shapesand. that runs for 100 gp yes?

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-27, 04:46 PM
100 gp yes. And so long as you can make the check, (I think a wis of 6 can) then it is useful stuff to have.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-27, 05:12 PM
well i AM half-cleric, so i have a 16 IIRC. i guess i now have shapesand. that runs for 100 gp yes?

Your father was a cleric and your mother was a ...

gallagher
2010-05-27, 06:41 PM
Your father was a cleric and your mother was a ...

... sinner? she was asked to get on her knees and pray. the cleric then asked her to come into his rectory for the privacy

cZak
2010-05-27, 07:55 PM
You need a towel, obviously.

When your fellow party members discover that you have a towel with you, they will automatically assume that you is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the others will then happily lend you any of these or a dozen other items that the you might accidentally have "lost". What the party will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the never-ending dungeon, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

+1:smallsmile:

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-05-27, 11:51 PM
In addition to your towel you'll need your hairy string.

I'd also recommend you take a small steel mirror, marbles (Grease only a mundane item), a knife, a bell (makes a simple alarm when you rest, or useful for discrete signaling), a signal whistle (just in case), a crowbar (in case of zombies, headcrabs, or particularly stuck doors), and I always like to have a flask of whisky on hand for introductions.