PDA

View Full Version : Need help with crazy campaign

Zach J.
2010-05-27, 01:28 PM
I have decided to run a campaign for some friends with a rather unusual party and I was hoping to find some help here on the forum. This campaign will center on the exploits of Captain Talon, an awakened Deinonychus Swashbuckler and eventual Dread Pirate, Krunch, a Troll Fighter, Miss Whiskers, an awakened Cat Sorcerer and Octochef Steve, an awakened Octopus Bard. As you can see a good deal of the party is made up of awakened animals. I was just wondering how one determined the level adjustment of animals if used as PCs. That's all. Thanks.

jiriku
2010-05-27, 01:31 PM
Savage Species is your go-to source for finding level adjustments or determining them yourself. Word of warning: level adjustment is badly calibrated in D&D 3.5, and in most instances is 50% - 100% too high.

Zach J.
2010-05-27, 02:18 PM
As I don't actually have a copy of Savage Species I've had to guess what I think the level adjustment would be for these characters. Here's what I have so far:

Awakened Cat: +0 level adjustment
Awakened Deinonychus: +4 level adjustment
Awakened Octopus: +2 level adjustment

The game is going to start at 12th level. As it stands we have a 2nd level Deinonychus Swashbuckler, a 1st level Troll Fighter, a 6th level Octopus Rogue and a 10th level Cat Sorcerer. How's that look?

DanReiv
2010-05-28, 06:37 AM
tbh it doesn't seems all the PC are on the same level, blame LA and racial HD...

ECL 12

cat is ok, nice skills bonus & tiny size. Eshew material and go to town (shouldn't it be sorc 11 btw ? 1 racial HD). side note : does it have a rat familiar xD ?

troll is bad.

same with octopus. really bad pick with only 2 racial HD you miss the feat.

Deino is next to useless.

Thing is except the cat maybe, they would all be waaaay more powerfull with simple PHB races.

You should probably LA the cat a bit, put the octo at 0, Deino at 1, and houserule the troll as 3 or 4.

Even then I fear the cat will still outshine his little friends, even without really optimizing the character.