PDA

View Full Version : Type Question <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 01:39 PM
In the following Combo, what does my creature type look like?

Feral Primordial Half Giant with the Feral Upbringing feat

Feral makes me a Monsterous Humanoid
Primordial Half-Giant is a Giant
Feral Upbringing gives you the animal type

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 01:41 PM
In the following Combo, what does my creature type look like?

Feral Primordial Half Giant with the Feral Upbringing feat

Feral makes me a Monsterous Humanoid
Primordial Half-Giant is a Giant
Feral Upbringing gives you the animal type

I didn't say it in the last thread, but Feral can only be applied to a Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid. Half-Giant is a giant. Where is Feral Upbringing from?

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 01:43 PM
I didn't say it in the last thread, but Feral can only be applied to a Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid. Half-Giant is a giant. Where is Feral Upbringing from?

Feral Upbringing is from Champions of Darkness (Ravenloft Setting)

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 01:49 PM
Feral Upbringing is from Champions of Darkness (Ravenloft Setting)

I'll see if I can find it, somewhere...

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 01:50 PM
I'll see if I can find it, somewhere...

But would I be treated as both a Giant and an Animal?

sofawall
2010-05-27, 01:58 PM
You know, when someone has to go find something to look up a fact for you, and you re-ask a question within 1 minute, it's considered bad form when face-to-face, never mind on a forum.

Also, there are relatively few ways to get two types in 3.5. Just sayin'.

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 02:28 PM
Took some time but I found it, it says your type becomes animal, nothing more nothing less. That's the ruling on the feat. And since specific trumps general it's an exception to the type pyramid thing, I think.

So in short; your type is animal, with no subtypes.

sofawall
2010-05-27, 02:38 PM
Took some time but I found it, it says your type becomes animal, nothing more nothing less. That's the ruling on the feat. And since specific trumps general it's an exception to the type pyramid thing, I think.

So in short; your type is animal, with no subtypes.

I don't think there are exceptions to the pyramid. I mean, I cannot think of a single template or feat that says "Your type changes to Monstrous Humanoid, unless the pyramid thing says no". It has to call out the exception specifically.

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 02:46 PM
I don't think there are exceptions to the pyramid. I mean, I cannot think of a single template or feat that says "Your type changes to Monstrous Humanoid, unless the pyramid thing says no". It has to call out the exception specifically.

Well, animals are the lowest type on the pyramid, right? The feat he mentions says the characters type changes to Animal. I don't think they felt the need to explain the exception. But hey, it's a book written by people. They make mistakes. :smallbiggrin:

sofawall
2010-05-27, 02:51 PM
Well, animals are the lowest type on the pyramid, right? The feat he mentions says the characters type changes to Animal. I don't think they felt the need to explain the exception. But hey, it's a book written by people. They make mistakes. :smallbiggrin:

I think the real problem is that once WotC publishes something, they tend to ignore it immediately afterwords.

It doesn't help that people who publish adventures rarely have anything to do with the design process of 3.5, such as it is. And don't get me started on WotC-licensed stuff like Dragonlance and Kalamar.

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 02:56 PM
I think the real problem is that once WotC publishes something, they tend to ignore it immediately afterwords.

It doesn't help that people who publish adventures rarely have anything to do with the design process of 3.5, such as it is. And don't get me started on WotC-licensed stuff like Dragonlance and Kalamar.

That's mostly true, though for the popular books they bring out errata.

They should have a better staff of proof-readers. :smallwink:

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-27, 02:59 PM
As stated, the answer to your question is pretty much up-in-the-air because the Feral template can only be applied to Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids. There is no *real* appropriate answer. I would side with the feat replacing your type, though, since feats are taken after the character's race is otherwise put together.

sofawall
2010-05-27, 03:01 PM
That's mostly true, though for the popular books they bring out errata.

They should have a better staff of proof-readers. :smallwink:

A common complaint.

And the thing is, some of the craziest stuff isn't even pulling stuff from 21 splatbooks. It's sometimes just a really powerful interaction between stuff printed in the same book. There is no excuse for not catching that.

Ferrin
2010-05-27, 03:03 PM
As stated, the answer to your question is pretty much up-in-the-air because the Feral template can only be applied to Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids. There is no appropriate answer.

There is;

Feral Template can't be applied to anything other then Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids.

Primordial Half-Giant is a giant, so Feral can't be applied to it.

The feat changes your type to animal. No subtypes listed.

A common complaint.

And the thing is, some of the craziest stuff isn't even pulling stuff from 21 splatbooks. It's sometimes just a really powerful interaction between stuff printed in the same book. There is no excuse for not catching that.

No excuse? Nonsense.

"Our monkeys were busy flinging poo, we laughed."

Machiavellian
2010-05-28, 08:13 AM
so, with Feral Rearing, I'm no longer treated as a Giant, thus no longer qualify as a Primordial Giant? WTH?!

nedz
2010-05-28, 09:02 AM
What are the pre-reqs for Feral Upbringing ?

Ferrin
2010-05-28, 09:23 AM
so, with Feral Rearing, I'm no longer treated as a Giant, thus no longer qualify as a Primordial Giant? WTH?!

What?

No, you don't lose your template, seeing as you gain your template before any feats.

Machiavellian
2010-05-28, 11:14 AM
What are the pre-reqs for Feral Upbringing ?

1st level and a non-animal/magical beast

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-28, 11:29 AM
You don't lose templates by failing to qualify for them after you take them.

Otherwise, all the templates that change your type and require you to not be that type wouldn't work, and that's just silly.

Machiavellian
2010-05-28, 11:29 AM
You don't lose templates by failing to qualify for them after you take them.

Otherwise, all the templates that change your type and require you to not be that type wouldn't work, and that's just silly.

is this a good concept overall, or am I making myself more susceptable?

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-28, 11:30 AM
More susceptible to... what?

Machiavellian
2010-05-28, 11:31 AM
More susceptible to... what?

spells, effects, ect.

By me being an Animal, who was a Primordial Half-Giant, and became Feral, is this a benefit or a cripple?

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-28, 11:34 AM
Well... Animals are susceptible to some special Animal-only effects. They're roughly balanced out among good and bad effects.

So... if you have a Druid in your party to buff you? You are God (or as God as a non-caster can be). Just hope you don't run into any enemy Druids.

Machiavellian
2010-05-28, 11:37 AM
Well... Animals are susceptible to some special Animal-only effects. They're roughly balanced out among good and bad effects.

So... if you have a Druid in your party to buff you? You are God (or as God as a non-caster can be). Just hope you don't run into any enemy Druids.

was considering an Avenging Druid with a Claymore (weapon proficiency feat)