PDA

View Full Version : Battle Cleric Improvement/Optimization

Enix18
2010-05-27, 02:13 PM
Hey folks!

I was wondering if you could help me with a little improvement/optimization. I am currently playing a sort of "battle cleric". While I do provide the party with healing and buffs outside battle, my main focus is on melée combat, and I am effectively the party tank/meatshield at the moment (that scrawny little elf ranger has nothing on me). We are only level 1 right now, so I have plenty of room for multiclassing and PrCs and such. For a little information on my character:

Krugar Stonefist, Orc Cleric of Gruumsh
Str 21, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Domains: Strength, Hatred
Feats: Diehard, Intimidating Strike
Important Equipment: Greataxe (1d12+7, woo!), Heavy Mace, Heavy Steel Shield, Half-Plate

If you folks know any good feats, spells, or PrCs for a combat-focused cleric, they would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to see some optimized builds for such a role if they exist. Please keep in mind, though, that I would prefer to lose as little spellcasting power as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

-- Enix18

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 02:16 PM
Hey folks!

I was wondering if you could help me with a little improvement/optimization. I am currently playing a sort of "battle cleric". While I do provide the party with healing and buffs outside battle, my main focus is on melée combat, and I am effectively the party tank/meatshield at the moment (that scrawny little elf ranger has nothing on me). We are only level 1 right now, so I have plenty of room for multiclassing and PrCs and such. For a little information on my character:

Krugar Stonefist, Orc Cleric of Gruumsh
Str 21, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Domains: Strength, Hatred
Feats: Diehard, Intimidating Strike
Important Equipment: Greataxe (1d12+7, woo!), Heavy Mace, Heavy Steel Shield, Half-Plate

If you folks know any good feats, spells, or PrCs for a combat-focused cleric, they would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to see some optimized builds for such a role if they exist. Please keep in mind, though, that I would prefer to lose as little spellcasting power as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

-- Enix18

Eye and Blessed of Gruumsh (CW? and DMC) first and foremost
Divine Might is a worthy pick-up, as is Strength Devotion

Eldariel
2010-05-27, 02:19 PM
I'd look at Ordained Champion [CC] with adaptation for Gruumsh. Alternatively, just straight Cleric; make sure all classes advance your casting fully or give you something really worthwhile while only losing max. 1 level of casting. Your spells are your lifeblood, the reason you can fight better than Fighter, and that's not an advantage you can afford to give away.

Your feats are somewhat subpar; DMM (Quicken, Chain or Persistent) and Devotions/Divine Mights/Power Attacks tend to give you better returns. Oh, and you're the best meatshield available in the game when built properly. Welcome to 3.5.

dextercorvia
2010-05-27, 02:19 PM
Power Attack

Should be a no brainer, but its worth mentioning.

Weezer
2010-05-27, 02:21 PM
Well the three classic melee cleric buffs are Divine Favor, Divine Power, and Righteous Might (all from PHB). Also very useful are Magic Weapon and Magic Vestement (chained when you get high enough).

As for feats Extend Spell, Persist Spell and Divine Metamagic(Persist) are usual. They allow you to expend turn undead uses to persist your spells so you can have all the buffs you want up permanently. To ensure you have enough turn undead uses take Extra Turning and buy nightsticks (Libris Mortis)

PrCs are somewhat unnecessary for this type of build, you get full BAB from Divine Power and your spell casting gives you everything else you need to dominate the field. But with good choice can give you some useful abilities, Ordained Champion is one that springs to mind as good.

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 02:23 PM
Well the three classic melee cleric buffs are Divine Favor, Divine Power, and Righteous Might (all from PHB). Also very useful are Magic Weapon and Magic Vestement (chained when you get high enough).

As for feats Extend Spell, Persist Spell and Divine Metamagic(Persist) are usual. They allow you to expend turn undead uses to persist your spells so you can have all the buffs you want up permanently. To ensure you have enough turn undead uses take Extra Turning and buy nightsticks (Libris Mortis)

PrCs are somewhat unnecessary for this type of build, you get full BAB from Divine Power and your spell casting gives you everything else you need to dominate the field.

but there are 2 PrCs exclusive to Gruumsh, so Why not use them?

Weezer
2010-05-27, 02:24 PM

Because I didn't think of them, I don't pay attention to Orc exclusive things because I never play Orcs.

Kallisti
2010-05-27, 02:25 PM
DMM (Persist) is your best friend as long as you don't abuse it so much the GM feels the need to ban it.

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 02:25 PM
Because I didn't think of them, I don't pay attention to Orc exclusive things because I never play Orcs.

I LOVE orcs! They are great beatsticks and thumper clerics.

Eye of Gruumsh is just beastly

and Blessed of Gruumsh at 10th level makes you Large!

Eldariel
2010-05-27, 02:26 PM

No casting progression on either. They are not PrCs for Cleric. Besides, exclusive =/= good. In fact, most exclusive classes are crappy; most PrCs in general are crappy. There's a handful that's decent and as most PrCs are general, most good ones are general by statistics (and as it turns out) too. Just 'cause it's specific doesn't mean you should take it as one. Take something good instead. Refluff, refluff, refluff my friend.

Kallisti
2010-05-27, 02:27 PM
Eye of Gruumsh is just beastly

and Blessed of Gruumsh at 10th level makes you Large!

Eye of Gruumsh is a pretty cool one, yeah, but becoming Large as a capstone? Blech. You can do that sans PrC with Enlarge Person. Or buy an item that grants it continuously if your GM will allow custom items. As per the table in the DMG that comes out to about 4,000 gp.

Eldariel
2010-05-27, 03:00 PM
Eye of Gruumsh is a pretty cool one, yeah, but becoming Large as a capstone? Blech. You can do that sans PrC with Enlarge Person. Or buy an item that grants it continuously if your GM will allow custom items. As per the table in the DMG that comes out to about 4,000 gp.

Eye of Gruumsh is semi-decent for Barbarians, but it's not amazing. It's definitely not playable for Clerics. And Righteous Might is a Cleric spell too, and Strength Domain comes with Enlarge Person on level 1. So...yeah. Giant Size is a level 7 Hero-domain spell and comes complete with Colossal size (+32 strength). So...yeah. Not impressed.