PDA

View Full Version : ASSASSINS VERSUS BODYGUARDS: The City Streets

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 02:46 PM
The year is 1352, and the old King Alben Rosen IV is gravely ill.

More than that, he has not left behind an heir to his throne of Sesbury and the kingdom that comes with it. His only child is a daughter, the princess Isolde Rosen, who is just now of marrying age. Naturally, the city's nobility is in uproar. The royal houses are jockeying for position, intending to take the throne when the old king finally passes through the last gate. Behind them are the lesser nobles, intending to ascend to power by winning the favor of the victorious house, and behind them are the merchants, who wish to use the political uproar to take control of their opponent's businesses.

And behind them, in places no one talks about except in hushed whispers, are the thieves, the rebels, the invaders, who want nothing more than the downfall of the city - and maybe the kingdom...

And word of this chaos has spread all over the continent. Warriors, mages, thieves, craftsmen, ladies of the night, informants, beggars, entertainers, and countless others of too many types to mention have flooded into the city, seeking their fortune in the upheaval. Two types of people stand above the rest, however: the assassins and the bodyguards.

And, on the corner of one street, a city guard observes with a blank stare as the latest group of newcomers step into the city, seeking employment by the lords. After a moment, he smiles, and sits back to watch the fun - and make sure that it doesn't get out of hand, of course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a neutral thread, for use by anyone who is currently unemployed. As all players are currently unemployed, everyone starts here. More threads will be created as you are hired and dispatched. Everyone who has submitted a character sheet to me prior to the creation of this thread, your character is approved and can begin play immediately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main thoroughfare of Sesbury is Mastiff's Road, which is currently filled with people of all races, occupations and descriptions. A few stand out to you, though: a bard sitting on a bench outside the entrance to an area named, judging by the sign next to it, Cobbler's Crossing, a man with a large cart hawking various trinkets to passersby, and a watchman standing at the street corner. The last appears to be watching you intently, though without any kind of expression at all.
The most prominent building in the area is a large, three-story inn boardinghouse named The Maid and The Mermaid. It is brightly-lit and in good condition: stories of it have made their way throughout the kingdom, so it is well-known to everyone as the place where countless legendary heroes met their allies and began their greatest adventures. It has gained quite the reputation throughout the centuries that it has existed, and is generally a good place to look for work.
Other than the Maid, only one building in the immediate area catches your eye: Ezekiel's Supplies, a large building which appears to be selling various pieces of adventuring equipment of all prices and kinds. In the window, you can see clothes of all descriptions, flasks and bottles containing liquids which sine in every color of the rainbow (and a few which you can't identify), swords, knives, bows, staves, and other weapons ranging from simply-made tools to bejeweled pieces of finery to obviously enchanted dragon-slaying equipment. Over the door is a picture of a smiling gnome holding a box of treasure.

You can either spend your time here or go looking for work elsewhere in the city. Your choice. Have fun!

Niezck
2010-05-27, 03:06 PM
Seems as good a place as any ... The slender elf murmurs to himself.

With that, he strides boldly into The Maid and Mermaid, coated in thick chain mail and wrapped with hempen rope.

Rizban
2010-05-27, 03:25 PM
A human dragging a cart behind him with various trinkets in it enters the town from the east. He finds a nice spot near the trinket seller at Cobbler's Crossing and tries to not to draw too much attention to himself. A collection of amulets and baubles is prominently displayed beneath a sign which reads "Punchinello's Charms and Incantations."

((Note that my character just setup shop in town and is available to create/sell magic items to anyone who seeks him out.))

Shoruke
2010-05-27, 03:29 PM
Kaliche:
Well, cliche as it is, this inn IS famous for the adventurers that have started their career here. Kaliche wanders into the inn and takes a look around.

Taranni:
The fire elf looks out from under his bright red hair at the crowd briefly, and quickly makes his decision. He approaches the bard near the sign for Cobbler's Crossing. "Excuse me," he says, "but do you happen to be familiar at all the the nobility of the area? I'm looking to, perhaps work under one, and I would appreciate the help."

Kyrthain
2010-05-27, 03:32 PM
Kardum scans the crowd with an unimpressed expression. He mutters to himself.

I suppose it would be most fortuitous to begin with the tavern. Unfortunate.

He then approaches, looking about with an air of distaste.

planswalker
2010-05-27, 03:33 PM
the very tall and heavy built mithral warforged with overlarge, spiked hands and a shield gazes at the various shops and meeting places before the bard's music catches his attention. He walks over in and says "I can protect people. Do you know someone who needs protecting?" in a rather loud voice in an attempt to be sure he is heard over the noise on the street.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the short, green-skinned lizardfolk looks around at the primarily mammalian ruckus with disgust. His business in the city is not for the likes of such as them, but he supposes he must begin somewhere. He slinks along the edge of the crowd, making his way to the Maid, praying that someone there can appreciate his talent.

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 03:40 PM
With set shoulders and a tight jaw, a heavily armored man marched into town, contemplating everything he knew about the most honorable nobles.

Knowledge (Nobl. + Royl.) check: [roll0]
Knowledge (Local) check: [roll1]

HypoSoc
2010-05-27, 04:21 PM
Kanteis wanders into the street, and heads around to the inn. Making quickly recalling what he knows about this cities nobles, he decides exactly what he needs to figure out and begins asking around the tavern.

Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)
[roll0]
Gather Information
[roll1]

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:21 PM
NIEZCK

The inside of The Maid and The Mermaid is extremely disconcerting at first. Even though the building is fairly large on the outside, the inside seems too big to fit. Then you realize that it is too big. The Maid must be enchanted. Not surprising, really.
The first floor of the Maid consists, as far as you can see, of one giant room with nearly a hundred tables scattered about. There are three separate bars, one on each of the walls other than the one the main entrance is on. Each is at least fifty feet long, and staffed by real mermaids - a quick glance reveals that the area behind the bar is filled with water, probably through magical means. Serving women of all races wander between the tables, carrying trays of food and drink.
The current owner of the bar is a spry old man named Harro Hedderich, whom you recognize from the tales about the inn. He is seated in his customary spot beside the nearest bar, chatting amiably with a large warforged.
The Maid is obviously doing well. Most of the tables are full, and the servers disappear into a small door - presumably the kitchen - and reappear with trays of food every few seconds. The clientele is incredibly diverse, consisting of men, women, and... things of all races. You even see a solar angel sitting at one table, speaking in a quiet voice to a halfling woman dressed in fine clothing. Even your strange garment doesn't seem so out-of-place here. Everyone is wearing different types of outfits, ranging from beggars' rags to full plate armor to suits and dresses fit for a royal ball.
One serving girl, a half-elf with long brown hair, spots you entering and strides over to you, a tray of beer mugs balanced on one hand. "Welcome to the Maid and the Mermaid, sir!" she says brightly. "Looking for work?"

--------------------------------

RIZBAN

The trinket seller glares at you as you set your cart up near his. He obviously doesn't appreciate the competition, but there isn't much that he can do about it.
"Punchinello?" says someone behind you. When you turn, you see a man dressed in a soldier's uniform (not the watchman on the corner - he still hasn't moved). "A strange name. What kind of charms do you sell?"

SHORUKE (Kaliche)

You see the same thing as Niezck's character. As you enter, the serving woman turns to you and asks, "Are you looking for work as well, then?"

SHORUKE (Taranni)

The bard doesn't pause in strumming his lute, but looks up at you and says, "Depends. What do you want to know, and how much are you willing to pay?"

KYRTHAIN

Ditto Shoruke and Niezck.

PLANSWALKER

The bard looks away from Taranni, grinning. "Looks like I stand to make quite the cash crop today," he says brightly. "Like I just told this guy-" he jerks his head towards Taranni "-depends. How much you willing to pay?"

JALLORN

See PM.

demidracolich
2010-05-27, 04:23 PM
Two warforged stride into the city. The one in the front is heavily built with heavy plating and small crystals growing from the plating, holding an immense blade in one hand and a large shield in the other. He scans the crowd and says to his companion, " Seems there is already a sizable crowd at the tavern so it seems logical that we should head there. What do you say?"

As I mentioned in the other thread my character and DmofDarkness's character had the same creator so they are traveling together, the other warforged is his character.

Rizban
2010-05-27, 04:26 PM
Punchinello's Charms and Incantations

"Ah, my good sir, I sell all manner of protective charms and amulets designed to guard against poisons, misdeeds, and the evil eye. I occasionally dabble in other odds and ends, and I am certain that I can find something which you will find quite useful. Please, take a look at my goods. If you don't see what you like, then just let me know. Perhaps we can work out something special."

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:30 PM
RIZBAN

The man selects a trinket from the edge of the display and looks at it thoughtfully. "Special, you say?" he says distractedly.

Rizban
2010-05-27, 04:33 PM
"I am adept at providing anything you need or desire or finding someone who can. Anything."

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:35 PM
RIZBAN

The man nods slightly, still fingering the trinket. "And what," he says slowly, "if we don't need anything brought, but rather... removed?"

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 04:36 PM
Noticing the bard, the man has an idea to supplement his meager knowledge. Handing over three gold coins, he asks, What can you tell me about the nobles hereabouts?

planswalker
2010-05-27, 04:36 PM
The silver warforged looks at the bard, tilts his head to the side slightly, and asks, "Is 10 gold enough to find out about someone who wants to be protected?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the lizardfolk enters the Maid, and lurks in a corner, staring for the longest time at the creatures behind the bar who are such contradictions, mammals with fish scales on their lower halves. however, he drags his attention from those oddities and attempts to sneak through the crowd, looking for someone who appears in need of his services.

hide check: [roll0]
disguise check:[roll1]
spot check: [roll2]

Kyrthain
2010-05-27, 04:37 PM
Kardum turns to speak to the girl, with a somewhat bored voice.

"Why yes, I am. I have that the king is in poor health, and given the circumstances, I thought it likely that there may be lucrative opportunities to be had by offering protection. Do you know of any such opportunities?"

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:40 PM
HYPOSOC

See PM.

---------------------------------

JALLORN, PLANSWALKER

The bard snatches the three gold coins and secrets them away somewhere in his jacket, moving so quickly that there is barely a break in his playing, then accepts the coins from the warforged. "Thank you kindly, sirs," he says with a sharklike grin. "Now, there's one person here who hasn't paid yet. I'm not sayin' anything when someone who hasn't paid is around."

Niezck
2010-05-27, 04:41 PM
Eyeing up the half-elf waitress with an analytic gaze, the pale-skinned elf speaks confidently and begins gazing around the large hall. Perhaps, depends what's going. Who should I see about ... He leans in and speaks softly services rendered in the pursuit of elimination.

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:42 PM
DEMIDRACOLICH, NIEZCK

"Me? No," says the woman brightly to Kardum, "But we've got a room in the back for recruitment." She points to the left-hand wall, where a small door is set in the corner. "There should be some people in there looking for some hired muscle." She nods to the other elf, adding "Same place."

Hedderich is obviously a savvy businessman. Not everyone would think to rent out a room to nobles who want to find employees.

Shoruke
2010-05-27, 04:43 PM
Knowledge checks to get some background info on the local lords, or how to contact them.

Kaliche:
Knowledge (Local):
Knowledge (Royalty): [roll1]

Taranni:
Knowledge (Local): [roll]d20+11
Knowledge (Royalty): [roll2]

Shoruke
2010-05-27, 04:45 PM
Messed up one of the rolls.

Taranni:
Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Rizban
2010-05-27, 04:45 PM
RIZBAN

The man nods slightly, still fingering the trinket. "And what," he says slowly, "if we don't need anything brought, but rather... removed?"

""Sir! I specialize in the protective charmings and sorts. Unless you are referring to a poltergeist infesticating your home, of course, that is. Here, though, take my card. If you are finding yourself in need of incantations beneficiary, do not hesitate to call."

Watchman:The "business card" is a private request for more information about the "job" and instructions to contact him privately later or to simply write down the job information elsewhere then drop the card off at his cart.

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 04:51 PM
Information for reference:
Active Auras:
Motivate Charisma
Resilient Troops
Senses
Presence

Kyrthain
2010-05-27, 04:51 PM
"I see.", remarks Kardum

He then heads off into the room

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:52 PM
SHORUKE

See PM.

------------------------

RIZBAN

The man glances at the card, then nods, pocketing it. "How much for this?" he says, in a more normal tone. He holds up the trinket.

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 04:55 PM
And now I'm afraid that I'm going to need to take a break for a few hours. I have a real-life session scheduled. More replies when I return.

planswalker
2010-05-27, 04:56 PM
the lizardfolk overhears kardum's conversation with the barmaid, and follows him into the back room, trying to make it appear as though he is not actually following him but just meandered there on his own.

[roll0] hide check

Rizban
2010-05-27, 04:59 PM
RIZBAN

The man glances at the card, then nods, pocketing it. "How much for this?" he says, in a more normal tone. He holds up the trinket.

"Oh, that is one of my favorites. I'm loathe to part with it. I suppose I could take 5 gold though."

HypoSoc
2010-05-27, 05:02 PM
Kanteis walks up to a passerby and stops him, asking
"Where may I find the man, Ezekiel?"

Shoruke
2010-05-27, 05:03 PM
Kaliche:
"Actually, I was wondering if I could find directions to Pirner Outfitters?"

Taranni:
Taranni rolls his eyes, and pulls out his purse. "Let's see... how much could you tell me about Hermann Poetschke for, say, 60 gold pieces?"

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 06:08 PM
PLANSWALKER (Lizardfolk), KYRTHAIN

The two of you enter a smoky back room. The first thing you see is a large steel golem standing in the center of the room, turning from side to side and watching everyone closely. The sword in its hand is as long as you are tall. This must be Silver Eight, the Maid's legendary bouncer. As the stories go, he has never been beaten in a fight. The Maid's founder had him commissioned specially by an archmage, and paid handsomely for an indestructible golem. So far, Silver Eight has lived up to its name, looking as powerful now as the day it was constructed.
The second thing you notice is the walls. They consist of nothing but doors, each with a sign over it. The signs are obviously magical, shining brightly in the dim room. Each one says either "Hiring" or "Not Hiring". Also beside each door is a small brass plate with something written on it.
The final feature of the room, besides the few people moving in and out of the doors, is a small desk by your side. Behind it sits an aged halfling in wire-rim spectacles. He holds a quill in one hand and a sheet of parchment in the other. As you enter, he raises an eyebrow and says, "More newcomers?"

-----------------------------------

RIZBAN

The man chuckles slightly and reaches into his pocket for the money, which he tosses casually to you. Then he walks away without another word.

SHORUKE (Kaliche)

"Certainly, sir," says the half-elf. "It's in the merchant's quarter, at the end of Broad Chase. Head through Cobbler's Crossing, and take a left onto Asingbury Avenue. Broad Chase should be on your right."

SHORUKE (Taranni), JALLORN, PLANSWALKER

"Sir," says the bard smoothly, "For sixty gold pieces I would tell you anything you want." He eyes the purse greedily.

HYPOSOC

The man eyes you suspiciously and says, "In his store," then rushes off.

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 06:18 PM
I can afford 20 more gold, the man, Hira, hands over the mentioned pieces, knowing that he can use all the knowledge he can get. I need to know everything you'll tell me about the lords, especially the most honorable ones.

Niezck
2010-05-27, 06:18 PM
Very well

With that, the elf strides confidently into the room pointed out by the waitress. Upon entering, he simply stands to the side of the doorway, observing the people within.

((I assume I get the same description as above? If so, open the spoiler))

The elf looks down at the spectacled man and speaks absently. Indeed. I am looking for a new job. My profession is one that requires both discretion and subtlety. So I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction and forget we ever met.

HypoSoc
2010-05-27, 06:22 PM
Kanteis frowns at the little information he received from the man, and walks up to another man. This time, before speaking, he uses Charm, and then asks
"Greetings sir, do you know where I may find Ezekiel's store?"

Psionic Charm DC:15

planswalker
2010-05-27, 06:50 PM
the lizardfolk eyes the halfling with suspicion and says "i am looking to find work under a patron with the cunning to see the advantage of the skills i offer. Are you the one i talk to to find some work?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The silver warforged assumes that he needs to give another 10 gold as well and says, "is THIS enough to have you tell me about someone who needs protection? (showing another 10 gold but not actually giving it until he hears some information) Ideally, someone important?"

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 06:57 PM
JALLORN

The bard, again, pockets the gold, and finally stops strumming his lute. He grins his shark's grin again. "Well," he says slowly, "I don't know about honorable, exactly. It's kind of hard to be honorable as a lord. It's all backstabbing and plotting and politics.
"But anyway. There's the king, of course. And his daughter, Isolde. Quite the looker, that one, but she isn't hiring, if that's what you're asking about. None of the houses wants to risk cutting her throat. Whomever marries her has a free ticket to the throne.
"Speaking of which, she's betrothed already, which makes her fiancee a prime target. That's the Archduke, Wolfram Rocholl - took the title young. But he only hires the best, and you don't look like the best to me. No offense.
"Then there's the Duke Elsko Dietrich. Decidedly not an honorable character, but like I said, who is? He's next-in-line after Rocholl, but he's got to deal with the other Duke as well. Rudolph Roestel. Both of them are married, of course, but they want their sons on the throne.
"And then there's the various Marquis, Counts, Earls, Viscounts, and Barons. Too many of them to list, but they're all trying to stab each other and form an alliance with either house Rocholl, Dietrich or Roestel at the same time. A couple of the Marquis are getting uppity, too, trying to get at the throne directly. Anyway.
Then you've got the businessmen. They've got their own throne war going on, as well. Right now, Ezekiel Jedder has the top spot - that's his shop over there." He points at the building across the street with all the magic items in the window. "That gnome controls over half of all the trade in the city. But he's got enemies, too, and they're always trying to take him out and steal his influence. He's got allies and enemies all over the place, but only the biggest actually threaten him. That would be Pirner, of Pirner Outfitters. His shop's over in the merchant's quarter. And the Merchant's Guild is in uproar, as well - everybody's trying to figure out whether they should take sides with Jedder or Pirner, and everyone's fighting for the top spot. It's all crazy, if you ask me."
With that, he sits back and begins playing again.

-------------------------

NIEZCK, PLANSWALKER

"Yes, that's my job," says the halfling irritably. "Well, that and getting you to sign this."
He passes you the parchment and pen that he's holding, then begins to speak very quickly:
"Please be advised that, in entering the Maid and the Mermaid premises, you have become subject to an enchantment that will keep you from mentioning the activities you witness in this room to anyone whom you have not seen in this room. Attempting to do so will result in magical retribution of the most painful kind. Attempting to mention it to the watchmen will result in instant death. If you do not wish to be subject to this enchantment, simply sign the second box and your memory will be wiped and replaced with the pleasurable experience of your choice, the enchantment removed and your person placed, safely, in the street outside. If you wish to continue in this activity, simply sign the first box and continue on."

---------------------

HYPOSOC

The second man gives you an irritated look and points at the magic-object-filled store across the street, then pushes you away and moves on.

Niezck
2010-05-27, 07:01 PM
The gray-skinned elf signs without a thought and hands the papers back to the halfling quickly. Let's just get this over with. I'd like to get started already.

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 07:02 PM
I would like to hear more about the Archduke and Duke Roestel. And the people they have working for them.

planswalker
2010-05-27, 07:34 PM
the lizardfolk signs away, commenting "i'm not really into talking with mammals when i can avoid it anyways, no offense". After returning the signed document, he proceeds past the halfling and looks at the various doors of people that say "hiring".

acid_ninja
2010-05-27, 07:36 PM
Ajah

Too many people. Pushing, jostling, spitting. Ajah was never comfortable around so many at once, but he had no choice. He had a job to do and it started here. He looked up at the Inn. It would probably be crowded, too. He decided to approach the bard. He noticed a small group of people already there. He stood to one side, off the main street and watched their conversation. When they had moved on he walked to the lute player. he tried what he thought was an engaging smile but it never quite reached his eye.

"Excuse me, but do you know of anywhere else in the this city that offers boarding?"

HypoSoc
2010-05-27, 07:39 PM
Kanteis nods to himself and proceeds to the shop. He steps inside and looks for the person in charge.

demidracolich
2010-05-27, 07:43 PM
Taking companon's silence as a yes, the warforged strides into the inn.

Shoruke
2010-05-27, 09:40 PM
Kaliche:
"Alrighty, thank you for you time, miss." He flips the waitress a single gold piece and departs, heading quickly towards the merchant's quarter and Pirner Outfitters.

Taranni:
"I need to know where to find the Merchant's guild, and if possible, who to talk to in order to meet Poetschke."

Rizban
2010-05-27, 10:35 PM
A lone figure in loose fitting robes and a thick hood wanders into town. The air around him somehow seems drier than usual, and the dust kicked up by the light breeze seems almost like sand. This dark skinned wanderer is obviously a member of some desert tribe and carries the heat of the desolation within him. As he raises his head to look around him, those nearby catch bright flashes of light from beneath his cowl before he lowers his face once more.

He takes stock of the city's nobility:
[roll0]

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 10:47 PM
NIEZCK, PLANSWALKER

The halfling accepts the papers, gives your signatures a glance, snorts at the lizardfolk's words, and turns to the elf. "All seems to be in order," he says briskly. "Now. The doors that say "hiring" indicate those houses, lords and various other sundry types of citizenry that are calling for allies in their battle against the others. Each door has a brass plate naming the noble in question and designating whether they're looking for assassins or bodyguards. Just walk in the door and you'll be given an interview, then either hired or rejected. All magic. All very efficient."

JALLORN

The bard keeps playing as he resumes speaking. "Well, the Archduke, like I said, is currently next in line for the throne. He's pretty young - about twenty or so, I think - and the average guy likes him. Or doesn't hate him, anyway, which is about as good as you can get if you're a noble. But like I said, you're probably not going to get so much as an audience with him. He's pretty much always under attack, which means he goes through a lot of really powerful bodyguards in a very short amount of time, and he can't afford to employ anyone who isn't tough enough to stand up to his attackers. Pretty much everyone he employs could break you in half with one finger."
He stops talking for a moment and plays a quick riff on the lute, which earns a few impressed looks from passersby.
"Roestel, on the other hand, is somewhere in his forties. He's got two sons, and he's trying to put the elder on the throne. He's more concerned with getting the Archduke out of the way than anything else, but he still employs some impressive muscle to protect himself. Both of them," he adds, "are out of your league. Trust me. I've seen the guys that work for them. They're... quite impressive."

--------------------------

ACID NINJA

"I don't know anything," says the bard, looking up at Ajah. "I suffer from a medical condition called 'memory loss'. My doctor said it was brought on from lack of cash."

HYPOSOC

The inside of Ezekiel's Supplies is brightly lit from several expensive-looking chandeliers hanging overhead. Finely-crafted armor, weaponry and other supplies is arranged all around the inside of the shop. You can't see very far: the shelves and items obscure your view.

DEMIDRACOLICH

The same half-elf that met the other two greets you, and asks you the same question.

SHORUKE (Kaliche)

You set out into the city. It'll be a little bit before you arrive at the Outfitters, though, so a slight break here.

SHORUKE (Taranni)

"Merchant's Guild is in the merchant's quarter," says the bard curtly. "Head through Cobbler's Crossing, left onto Asingbury, and a right onto Broad Chase. Headquarter's the biggest building around. You can't miss it. But I can't help you with finding Poetschke."

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 10:52 PM
Hira smiles confidently, He who controls the battlefield can defeat any opponent. He takes on a more pensive look, But no, you're right, they won't hire me yet. What of the lesser nobles, tell me of one who allies himself with the archduke.

acid_ninja
2010-05-27, 11:02 PM
psionic charm, will dc 15
"are you sure?"

planswalker
2010-05-27, 11:03 PM
the silver warforged turns to Hira and says, "I think you have a good idea, working for the archduke's ally. wanna see if us working together can get us hired?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the lizardfolk circles the room from left to right, then enters one of the doors whose plate says that he is hiring assassins, not bothering to read who it is. He figures that the name will come up in conversation, but even if not, as long as the money is good, he doesn't much care.

Jallorn
2010-05-27, 11:08 PM
I have been considering an associate or two. You have no need to sleep, correct? That would indeed be useful, but I would need to know more about your skills. For now, let us learn what we can, it seems to me that the Archduke is the most honorable of the current heirs vying for the throne, and therefore the one I would most like to back, though my word in such means little.

planswalker
2010-05-27, 11:58 PM
good idea. (to bard) do you know of an ally of the archduke who might use our help?

Niezck
2010-05-28, 03:14 AM
Picking a room seemingly at random, Neox strides into the a room stating it was hiring assassins. The name matters not, only the job. He thinks to himself.

HypoSoc
2010-05-28, 05:33 AM
Kanteis wanders a bit then calls out:
"I would like a meeting with Ezekiel."

Kyrthain
2010-05-28, 07:00 AM
Kardum scowls at the mention of the enchantment, then sighs.

"I suppose that I shall accept, much as I thoroughly despise magical restrictions on my will."

He reaches out, grabs a paper and signs it. He then scans the doors, seeing if he can recall anything useful about the names mentioned

Knowledge Nobility: [roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-05-28, 07:26 AM
Yes, we are looking for work. We are seeking someone, an employer. Has anyone mentioned the name "Metasynapse" by and chance? Either casually or by someone seeking employees?

OOC:Sorry for the late post. No internet for a while. EDIT: I was asleep when I wrote this, so I accidently wrote my character name instead of the team name. Sorry.

Rizban
2010-05-28, 02:00 PM
Punchinello continues to lounge by his cart, wondering if any of the newcomers will be interested in his custom goods, very reasonably priced, of course.

Shoruke
2010-05-28, 04:05 PM
Taranni begins following the bard's directions to the Merchant's guild.

The Watchman
2010-05-28, 10:16 PM
JALLORN

"Allies of the Archduke?" the bard muses. "Well, Pirner. And Poetschke. Duke Roman Widmayer. Marquise Odilia Heyne. Others, too, but that's all I have off the top of my head."

-------------------------------

ACID NINJA

"Entirely sure. And you may want to stop trying to charm me. I may just be a bard, but I'm not blind." He grins his shark grin again. "And I'm not helpless, either."

PLANSWALKER (Lizardfolk)/NIEZCK

The room you have walked into is dark, and about ten feet square. Once you enter, the door shuts behind you, and a woman's voice says "Name?"

HYPOSOC

There is suddenly a gnome standing before you. He's tall for his race, and slim, and dark-skinned, and dressed in fine clothing and jewels. "Well," he says, "You're going to have to hold on a second. There is only one of me." Then, turning to one side and apparently speaking to thin air, "Yes, that's a particularly fine one. Now, for twelve hundred more-"
The image disappears.

KYRTHAIN

You know as much as the bard told the others in the street: see previous posts for details.

DMOFDARKNESS

"Metasynapse? No, I don't think so," says the half-elf absently. "But if you're looking for work, the door's over there." She points towards the same door the others passed through.

Other players' stuff will be posted tomorrow. Out of time now.

planswalker
2010-05-28, 10:26 PM
"Styraksis", the lizardfolk says, hissing the final "s". "One skilled at the arts of stealth, espionage, and the silent elimination of threats. I am led to believe that this room's patron is in search of such skills?"

Jallorn
2010-05-28, 10:34 PM
Tell me about them please, anything you think would be useful.

sum1won
2010-05-29, 12:04 AM
Annette walks up to the bard with the grin. She's currently wearing her courtier form- ruffled silk blouse, riding trousers, black hair pinned up, rapier at her side. She gets his attention with a nod and smile.

Hey fellow. Know where a girl new in town could start looking for some work? You look like the sort that knows what's going on.

[roll0]Diplocheck! Boosted from +18 to +19 with cunning knowledge, because this is my first time playing a factotum and what the heck.

HypoSoc
2010-05-29, 08:09 AM
Kanteis attempts to avoid showing his annoyance and starts examining the shelves for anything interesting.

Search
[roll0]

The Watchman
2010-05-29, 09:13 PM
RIZBAN

I'm going to move you into a new thread, as you have found work. I'll let you know as soon as it's up, but depending on what happens in the next few minutes (I am having a crazy weekend), it may not be up until tomorrow.

------------------------------

SHORUKE (Taranni)

Ditto Rizban.

PLANSWALKER (Lizardfolk)

"Prior experience?" says the voice.

JALLORN

"Already told you about Pirner and Poetschke. And I don't know much about Widmayer or Heyne, or I would have talked about them already. You'll have to look elsewhere for information, as much as that pains me to say."

Jallorn
2010-05-29, 09:43 PM
I do not recall you saying much about Poetschke, but that's okay. Thank you for your information, I have made my decision, I will meet with Pirner first. Hira turns to the other two, You are welcome to join me. Suddenly, he takes a second look at the bard, I never got your name.

planswalker
2010-05-30, 12:31 AM
Hira turns to the other two, You are welcome to join me.

the silver warforged says, "Yes, that sounds good to me."

Styraksis says, "Among the lizardfolk tribes, i am feared and respected for my ... unique talents." He brushes the edge of his cloak to reveal a pair of tentacles on his back, then lets it fall back into place. "I have slain no less than 4 tribal chiefs in their sleep, at the behest of my employers. Beyond that, i have killed 24 warriors who were seen as obstacles by those wishing to gain power. My services can be had, for the right price."
[roll0] bluff: he was not the primary operative in the assassinations of the chiefs. he was there as a support for the one who actually killed them. The warriors, he did kill himself (lizardfolk, none above lvl 2 fighters)

Niezck
2010-05-30, 04:31 AM
The name's Neox. Assassin by trade, and a damned good one at that.

Kyrthain
2010-05-30, 08:28 AM
Kardum sighs.

"I suppose the Marquise Heyne would be as good an employer as any other."

He then makes his way to the door marked with her name, and enters.

Did you say whether there were separate assassin/bodyguard doors?
If so Kardum enters the bodyguard one

sum1won
2010-05-30, 11:42 AM
Annette coughs pointedly.

"cough"

demidracolich
2010-05-30, 01:20 PM
Seeing the direction the half elf pointed, the warforged walk in.

The Watchman
2010-05-30, 06:41 PM
Again, apologies. There was a storm earlier today. The power was cutting in and out. It's stopped now.

SUM1WON

The bard grins back. "Well, hello, my lady," he says cheerily. "That depends on what kind of work you're looking for."

HYPOSOC

Everything you see is interesting: there are bottles full of strange, shining liquids, knives with intricate ornamentation, well-crafted armor of all shapes, sizes, and descriptions, clothing of all kinds, holy symbols for every god you know and some that you don't... the list goes on.
After a moment, the gnome reappears. "Okay," he says. "Sorry about that. What is it that you were looking for?"

KYRTHAIN

This room is identical to the one that the lizardfolk walked into. "Name?" says a female voice coolly.

DEMIDRACOLICH

The old halfling looks up from his desk as you enter. "Oh, another one," he says dryly. "Looking for work, are you?"

demidracolich
2010-05-30, 07:48 PM
"Yes, in fact I am looking for work." The Warforged replies.

The-Mage-King
2010-05-30, 07:55 PM
Wandering into the city, a small grin on his face, a brown haired man looks over the streets.

Spying a tavern, The Maid and The Mermaid, he wanders over and enters, hoping to find someone looking for a... problem solver.

Kyrthain
2010-05-30, 08:37 PM
Kardum replies, the bored tone gone from his voice.

"My name is Kardûm D'Arsanis. At your service."

sum1won
2010-05-30, 08:49 PM
"Please. Call me Grace.

And, as far as the work goes... I keep my ears open, you know? If somebody needs a watchful eye, and maybe a helping hand giving the right sort of nudge that'll be me. Maybe someone needs finding, or removing before they do a little removal of their own? Know where I could get a job like that?"

Knowledge: Local
[roll1]Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty
Probably should have done those earlier, but just looking for some general info on who's hiring. But, yeah. Looking for a job from nobles who would like to keep an eye on whoever's after him. Or from the watch, if they have any spare bounties.

acid_ninja
2010-05-31, 05:42 AM
Ajah grunts and mutters an apology before walking away. He eyes the inn and its crowds but sees little other choice. He has to start somewhere, after all. He pauses at the threshold and takes a deep breath before walking in. He stands to one side, observing the goings-on for a few moments. Based on the number of armed men, women and others going in to the back room he steps through the door. He silently consents to signing the form before examining the plaques on the doors.

HypoSoc
2010-05-31, 08:03 AM
"I seek to offer my services to you. As a man in your position, you would have many enemies who wish accidents upon you. I'm certain you know this and have hired help for this matter, but bodyguards are only good against known enemies, and a lucky shot renders them useless. I am prepared to work for you to prevent this matter."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

The Watchman
2010-06-01, 10:38 AM
DEMIDRACOLICH, THE-MAGE-KING

The half-elf is about to respond when TMK's character enters. "Ah," she says, "another one. Also looking for work? Door's that way. And now, I really, really need to get back to my job." She grins sheepishly and rushes off into the tables. A moment later, you can just hear a "Sorry, sorry, got held up" over the rest of the inn's chatter.

----------------------------

SUM1WON

"Practically anywhere," says the bard cheerily. "Everyone and their uncle is looking for people like you. But a lady of your obvious skill could probably find work anywhere you wanted. Not like the rest of this rabble." He nods to the passersby. "If you like, I could show you around the city - I know some people that could offer you work."

-----------------------------

KYRTHAIN

"Any particular skills?" says the voice.

ACID_NINJA

None of the names seem familiar, beyond the famous figures that have been mentioned in previous posts. Almost every one is marked as looking for both assassins and bodyguards.

HYPOSOC

Ezekiel bursts out laughing. After a moment, he brings himself under control, but is still grinning widely.
"Well, thanks for the offer," he says, sounding amused, exasperated and pitiful at the same time. "But I really don't need your help. Short of the royals, I'm the richest man in this city. Maybe the kingdom. I can afford to hire much better muscle than you.
"Look, you seem like a strong one. But you aren't strong enough to work for me. Not yet. I've seen a lot of kids like you turn into seriously impressive bodyguards, though. Maybe later. Come back when you've got some work under your belt."
He pauses momentarily. "I may know someone else that you could work for, though," he muses.

SHORUKE (Kaliche)

Broad Chase is slightly less crowded than Mastiff's Road, though still bustling. This is, after all, the center for the majority of the city's trade. It is only by virtue of being Sesbury's main thoroughfare that Mastiff's Road retains its title of busiest street in the city.
Shops of all kinds line the street. There are armor and weapon sellers, tailors, magical shops selling items of all kinds, and (in the back alleys, where the watchmen are very careful not to set foot while on duty) several houses of ill repute. Two buildings stand out immediately. One is a large white-marble building decorated with frescoes representing various trades, which can only be the headquarters of the Merchant's Guild. The other is a wooden building, two stories high, which resembles Ezekiel's Supplies on Mastiff's Road. A sign near the roof, however, declares in large letters that this is not a second Ezekiel's, but rather Pirner Outfitters.

Fable Wright
2010-06-01, 11:02 AM
Synathid walks over and says, "we may not look strong, but we have powers that few others have," he looks around cautiously before continuing, "We can use psionics. Few people understand them, but they often catch people by surprise, and our caravan has many psionics. That concentration of energy has positive effects on us. Not to mention that we all can humiliate people without drawing attention to ourselves. For example, we can make a random person walk into a tree for over an hour. Not to mention, we have more combative powers, and suggestive powers causing assassins to defect to our side. For free. "

HypoSoc
2010-06-01, 11:04 AM
Kanteis avoids acting disgruntled and says, while using Suggestion, Psionic:
"As I stated before, I was fairly certain of your wealth and your staff, but as I said before, muscle is limited to responding to threats, while my security would be preemptive. I'd prefer to work for those that have influence, so I came here first, but if you don't hire me, though I'd suggest you should, the name of the other employer would be nice."

Suggestion DC: 16

The-Mage-King
2010-06-01, 11:17 AM
Glancing at the warforged, the human shrugs.

"Hard time finding work?" He asks, appraising the artificial being.

sum1won
2010-06-01, 12:26 PM
"It sounds like you've got just what I was looking for. Please, lead on."

Not a roll, but trying to charm a potential employer? Do DMs normally let you get away with that? Seems like they'd get a bit hostile if it the charm didn't take.

The Watchman
2010-06-01, 01:03 PM
DMOFDARKNESS

I've forgotten. Whose character are you traveling with again?

HYPOSOC

Ezekiel opens his mouth to speak, then looks hurt. "Oh, no," he says slowly. "You didn't just try to charm me, did you? Come on. Do you really think that a man of my stature got to where he was by not placing wards around himself? Also, this is an illusion, kid, it isn't actually me, so you just wasted a bit of power."
He frowns. "I'll give you ten seconds to explain why I shouldn't throw you out of here right now."

SUM1WON

The bard grins again, this time genuinely. It's a very different one from the sharklike expression he had turned on the first group. He stops strumming his lute, stands, and turns to face you. "Where would you like to see first, m'lady?"

Most definitely.

Kyrthain
2010-06-01, 03:05 PM
Kardum smiles, and beguns listing his talents

"I am a skilled psionicist, specialized in the field of psychokinesis. If you are unfamiliar with psionics, this means that I am very skilled at controlling energy. In fact, I can unleash energy attacks so powerful that they can knock my foes off their feet."

"Of course, I have a number of more general mental talents that are more subtle. For instance, I can detect if anyone nearby bears any hostile intent to me, such as if they meant you any harm. I also have some general defensive abilities, including a most interesting one."

"One little trick I have practiced is to send someone forward through time. This would allow me to carry you out of harms way for a short while, during which time myself and any other guards you have employed may deal with your attacker. Alternatively, I could send the assailant away temporarily, to allow us to better prepare for their attack."

"Finally, I am a member of a group of psionicists, each nearly as powerful as myself. We also become more powerful in the presence of other psionic entities, making us work as an excellent team."

"I hope that that is sufficient reason for you to hire myself, and once you have recieved their applications, my team."

Yes, I know he's not necessarily more powerful than the rest of Metasynapse, but he does have a bit of an ego :D

The Watchman
2010-06-01, 03:07 PM
KYRTHAIN

There's a long pause. It lasts for several minutes, at least, then is broken by the sound of the voice speaking again. "How many other members are there in your 'team'?"

Rizban
2010-06-01, 03:14 PM
Niezck

Picking a room seemingly at random, Neox strides into the a room stating it was hiring assassins. The name matters not, only the job. He thinks to himself.

The name's Neox. Assassin by trade, and a damned good one at that.

An elderly man in ragged and slightly dirty brown robes raises his head, having been deep in prayer until this moment and unwilling to interrupt his deity for the likes of an assassin. He sneers at Neox.

"You don't look like much, assassin. Perhaps that is for the best..."

He stands with difficulty and shuffles towards you with a small scroll in hand.

"Take this, it contains all the relevant details."

Upon handing you the scroll, he stumbles through the doorway and disappears into the crowd. You do not see him leave the building, but it is almost certain that he has.

Kyrthain
2010-06-01, 03:17 PM
Kardum replies

"Our team has four members, myself included. Kanteis, a telepath, and Synathid, a warforged shaper, are two. There is another warforged, but he has never mentioned a name. He is more like a traditional warrior, however he makes good use of his psionic talents. Also, about the warforged. I do not think I need to explain how having two guards that need no sleep is a very good thing."

Jallorn
2010-06-01, 03:54 PM
Where can I find this Priner? Hira asks the bard.

HypoSoc
2010-06-01, 04:21 PM
Kanteis nods at the gnome and says:
"Sorry for the mental attack. It was merely a confirmation for me of your lack of necessity for my services. Should the charm have worked, then I would have been required to complete your staff, and no harm is done by a failed charm. What is the name of the other person you had previously alluded to?"

Diplomacy
[roll0]
Bluff
[roll1]

demidracolich
2010-06-01, 05:15 PM
The other warforged replies, "Yes, what my companion says is true. I may not look like it, but I too have some special "powers" that I can offer."

Yes, DmofDarkness is traveling with my character.

sum1won
2010-06-01, 05:24 PM
"Well, you know the city better than me. Why don't you start with the nearest of your friends that is hiring?"

acid_ninja
2010-06-01, 09:04 PM
Ajah pauses, uncomfortable among all these stange names. Merchants, nobles power struggles - it makes no sense. All he knows is his work. Best to start small, find an employer and sort it out from there. He thinks that "Marquis" is one of the lesser titles and enters the first door he sees with that word.

Psilulz
2010-06-02, 01:29 AM
Orolil approaches the tavern. He is fairly tired from the long trip over. "Age must be catching up to me...". He proceeds to enter said building.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 11:29 AM
No one could see the rather stout dragoniod with a greatsword. No one saw his expression of stern concentration. No one say the pair of wings on his back or his silvery scales. No one saw him for one rather simple reason: he was invisible. He did it by choice. He was Uvag the Unseen. It had been months since anyone had seen him, and he liked it that way. However, he suspected his face would become known here by someone if he was to find work. Deciding that the tavern was too crowded and the bard already had a crowd, he walks over to the watchman at the street corner. he dismisses his invisibility when he is right in front of the man and says "Greetings. Would your employer be interested in hiring someone with the powers to get into anywhere he wanted?"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-02, 11:41 AM
Walking towards the bar, Sion nods and orders an ale, before sitting down on an empty stool.

"So," He asks as the bartender sets the ale down in front of him. "Anywhere in particular that someone looking for work should go?"

Rizban
2010-06-02, 11:52 AM
Jallorn

Where can I find this Priner? Hira asks the bard.
The bard looks to him and says, "Quite likely in one of his shops. You might try Pirner Outfitters on Broad Chase in the Merchant's Quarter. That would be where I'd start, anyway."

[hr]
acid_ninja

Ajah pauses, uncomfortable among all these stange names. Merchants, nobles power struggles - it makes no sense. All he knows is his work. Best to start small, find an employer and sort it out from there. He thinks that "Marquis" is one of the lesser titles and enters the first door he sees with that word.

Ajah enters a small room and sees a paper screen wall back lit by a lantern. The shadow of a small man is cast on the paper by the flickering light.

"What have you come seeking?"

[hr]
planswalker

No one could see the rather stout dragoniod with a greatsword. No one saw his expression of stern concentration. No one say the pair of wings on his back or his silvery scales. No one saw him for one rather simple reason: he was invisible. He did it by choice. He was Uvag the Unseen. It had been months since anyone had seen him, and he liked it that way. However, he suspected his face would become known here by someone if he was to find work. Deciding that the tavern was too crowded and the bard already had a crowd, he walks over to the watchman at the street corner. he dismisses his invisibility when he is right in front of the man and says "Greetings. Would your employer be interested in hiring someone with the powers to get into anywhere he wanted?"
The guard smirks at the dragonborn before him.

"Hmm... I suppose it might be possible. What kind of employment do you seek? You don't look much like one for walking a beat and stopping petty thugs."

[hr]
The-Mage-King

Walking towards the bar, sion nods and orders an ale, before sitting down on an empty stool.

"So," He asks as the bartender sets the ale down in front of him. "Anywhere in particular that someone looking for work should go?"

The mermaid points to the private rooms at the back of the tavern then turns to serve another patron, otherwise ignoring you.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-02, 12:02 PM
Setting some coinage on the counter, Sion quickly drinks his ale before walking to the indicated rooms, looking over the doors in an apprasing manner.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 12:12 PM
planswalker

The guard smirks at the dragonborn before him.

"Hmm... I suppose it might be possible. What kind of employment do you seek? You don't look much like one for walking a beat and stopping petty thugs."

"No, i do not wish your job, but i have unique talents that your employer might find useful. I can do things to help ensure the city's well-being that those "walking a beat" cannot. If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I shall see if they can use me. If not, I am sorry for having bothered you."

Rizban
2010-06-02, 12:15 PM
The-Mage-King

You see the standard set of rooms with brass placards.

[hr]
planswalker

"Interesting. I just might have a job for you then..."

He hands you a strip of paper with an address on it.

"Ask for Marcell"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-02, 12:17 PM
Randomly choosing a room, Sion looks over the placard to see what information he can get from it, before rapping the door twice.

Rizban
2010-06-02, 12:31 PM
The-Mage-King
[roll0]

The Plaque reads:
The Honor Guard
Seeking Professionals

A gruff voice from within says simply, "Enter!"

The-Mage-King
2010-06-02, 12:38 PM
Opening the door and walking in, Sion nods to the speaker.

"My name is Sion, and I'm looking for work. Are you hiring people to... deal with problems?" He asks, skipping straight to the point.

Jallorn
2010-06-02, 12:43 PM
Thank you. Finished with the bard for now, Hira moves on, heading for Pirner Outfitters.

planswalker
2010-06-02, 12:45 PM
Uvag thanks him for his time. He becomes invisible again and heads to the address on the paper. He uses a combination of flight and gliding to reach his destination. He cannot wait for the day when his wings will have gained the strength they need to truly fly all day long. When he arrives at the address, he dismisses his invisibility and stands before the entrance. He knocks twice and waits for a response.

The warforged follows his newfound friend.

The Watchman
2010-06-02, 01:15 PM
TEAM NONPAN

Welcome to your private thread. It'll be up in a minuteIt's up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8613251#post8613251).

acid_ninja
2010-06-02, 08:08 PM
Ajah enters a small room and sees a paper screen wall back lit by a lantern. The shadow of a small man is cast on the paper by the flickering light.

"What have you come seeking?"

Ajah sighs, unimpressed by the melodramatics.

"Since I'm here, the answer should be obvious. I am seeking to put my skills to use. And since you have rented out this room its also obvious what you are seeking - someone with my skills. Since we both know where we stand, why don't you just tell me who you need dead."

Psilulz
2010-06-03, 12:54 AM
Orolil enters the tavern, set on finding a job worthy of his skills.
Diplomacy check to ask someone about the situation the city is going through, and to help point me in the right direction for employment
[roll0]

The Watchman
2010-06-03, 10:25 AM
PSILULZ

The harried half-elven woman is passing by again when you enter, and before you can even open your mouth to speak, she says "Work's through there," points at the door, and scurries off.

Fable Wright
2010-06-03, 11:00 AM
Team metasynapse still waiting for result of conversation...

Rizban
2010-06-03, 06:11 PM
((If you are in need of an update in this thread only and have not received one lately, send me a PM.))

Psilulz
2010-06-03, 10:11 PM
"Well it seems like im not the only one who's looking for work..." Orolil proceeds over to the other room.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-04, 10:01 AM
Drassuk walks slowly along the street, observing his surroundings. If someone meets his eyes, he holds the contact for but a second, with a dead look in his eyes. The frail-looking black robed figure stops from time to time, pulls forth a piece of parchment from his bag, writes a note, then puts it back.

Drassuk tries to remember anything on the local nobles, and on a good employer for his kind.

Knowledge: Nobility [roll0]
Knowledge: Local [roll1]

Rizban
2010-06-04, 10:41 AM
Shadowleaf
Sending you a PM with your knowledge roll results.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-04, 11:18 AM
Drassuk smiles to himself, then begins to try and get some information for himself. He focuses on the beggars in the city especially.

Gather Information: [roll0]

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 01:26 PM
SUM1WON

The bard turns back to you, still grinning. "Well, I think I know just the place. Follow me."
He sets off down the road, towards the north. As you follow, he starts talking again.
"Wolfhart Thelen is his name," he says. "Count Wolfhart Thelen. I know he would love to have someone like you around."

------------------------

HYPOSOC

Jedder settles back slightly. "Robert," he says. "Robert Preussler. You can find him down Raine's Road. Outside, take a left. You can't miss Raine's; it's the next big road after Broad Chase. His shop is down on the left. Tell him that I sent you."

------------------------

PSILULZ

The old halfling looks up from his desk. "Another one?" he says, sounding exasperated. "Busy day. Very busy."
Before you can respond, he's handed you a contract identical to the ones he gave to the others and has launched into his speech again.

------------------------

DEMIDRACOLICH

"Congratulations," says the old halfling. "That's not my area. I'm just the clerk. I don't hire you."
He passes you a contract identical to the one he just handed out to the other adventurers, and begins droning his speech again.

------------------------

KYRTHAIN

There is a long pause, then the voice speaks again. "You and your companions are hired. Please report to the residence of Marquise Heyne."

Kyrthain, once you are ready to leave the main thread (i.e. have gathered the rest of your team), let me know and I'll move you to another thread.

sum1won
2010-06-04, 03:29 PM
Count Wolfhart Thelen? And how did you come to be friends with this count? Annette asks. She's somewhat impressed despite herself; her new friend really does know how the politics in this city work.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 04:05 PM
SUM1WON

"Oh, the Count and I go way back," says the bard, reveling in your new respect for him. "He used to be an adventurer, like me. We traveled together for a long time. Now I'm always welcome in his house for a glass of wine."
He stops talking for a second, then snaps his fingers. "Ah, I've forgotten to introduce myself. Ludger Poll is the name."

HypoSoc
2010-06-04, 04:28 PM
Kanteis still waits for the gnome.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 04:36 PM
Kanteis still waits for the gnome.

:smallredface:

I actually wrote your reply... I wrote down "Kyrthain" instead of "HypoSoc", though. Edited and fixed.

sum1won
2010-06-04, 04:39 PM
"The two of you used to adventure together? I hope to hear a few of your adventures later on. My given name is Annette, but please- call me Grace. Its the name I'm used to hearing."

Checks to see what I know about Count Wolfhart Thelen
[roll0] Knowledge: Local
[roll1] Knowledge: Royalty/Nobility

HypoSoc
2010-06-04, 04:56 PM
Kanteis nods at the gnome's illusion and says:
"Thank you. I hope you will prosper in the next few years, as I plan to come back as soon as you would accept me."
At that, he leaves the shop, follows the directions, and goes in Preussler's shop.

Was Ezekiel's first name Jedder?

Rizban
2010-06-04, 05:01 PM
Kanteis nods at the gnome's illusion and says:
"Thank you. I hope you will prosper in the next few years, as I plan to come back as soon as you would accept me."
At that, he leaves the shop, follows the directions, and goes in Preussler's shop.

Was Ezekiel's first name Jedder?

No. Jedder's first name is Ezekiel. Ezekiel Jedder.

demidracolich
2010-06-04, 05:03 PM
The warforged scans over the contract and reads it all the way through.
Anything special on the contract?

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 05:06 PM
SUM1WON

"Perhaps later, Grace," says the bard smoothly. "Over drinks? Ah, but this isn't the time for that - here we are."

sum1won, you're being split to a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154957). Up in a minute.

----------------------

HYPOSOC

Also being split (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154959).

----------------------

DEMIDRACOLICH

It's the same contract that the others were given earlier in the thread: sign in one box if you want to be able to use the Maid's hiring facilities and agree not to tell anyone about them, sign in the other if you don't want to.

demidracolich
2010-06-04, 05:21 PM
The warforged signs, agreeing to secrecy, and hands the contract to the halfling.

The Watchman
2010-06-04, 05:30 PM
DEMIDRACOLICH

"Right," says the halfling, examining your signature closely. "Now, doors. Plaques say who the room is for and who they want to hire. Go in, get interviewed, get hired. Or not. Simple."

Kyrthain
2010-06-04, 07:26 PM
Kardum exits the room. As he passes the warforged, he beckons him

"While you lot were sitting around, I got us all hired. Now, lets get over to the marquise's estate, and show her why she hired us. Go ensure that the rest of our group is informed."

Do I know where she lives? if so, I head off that way. I assume the 30 on my Knowledge nobility lets me know where she lives

demidracolich
2010-06-04, 08:18 PM
"Very well then, lead on." The warforged says as he and his companion begins following.

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-04, 09:13 PM
Kylar wonders slowly down Mastiff's Road, mingling with the crowd and halfway listening to the conversations around him. He sighs and pushes his hair back, contemplating the rumors he has heard about the local nobility

knowledge: local 1d20+7

Shadowleaf
2010-06-04, 09:38 PM
Drassuk spends a few minutes on the street talking to a few people, then heads for Ezekiel's Supplies.

Ormagoden
2010-06-05, 10:58 PM
Lornal

He turns onto Mastiff's road with a bit of a smile on his face. He likes the atmosphere of the city, it's filled with life and adventure. The road to Sesbury was well traveled and he spent most of his time chatting. His feet weary he managed to pay some teamsters a few copper to ride in their wagon for a majority of the trip.

Now he was was on the main street and although the area looked promising he felt that perhaps he would come here for work if he couldn't find work elsewhere and with other parties. He sighed slightly in his green jacket and made his way over to the Watchman who was eying him.

"Good guardsman, how fair you this day?" He tipped his green brimmed hat to the man with a smile. "I am looking for the royal palace, could you perhaps provide a traveler with directions?"

Psilulz
2010-06-06, 02:39 AM
Orolil pauses a second and asks, "What if we are unaware if the person we are telling is a member of the city guard? For example, if they are under the effects of an illusion of some sort?"

Niezck
2010-06-06, 08:24 PM
A (relatively) young Elf strides proudly into the city of Sesbury, looking around and taking in all the sights he can see. The slender elf is cloaked with a shroud of invisibility, but should he drop it a bystander would see a well-equipped and well-armed warrior, deep purple energy crackling between his fingers and a glow of pure evil in his eyes.

He walks casually up toward the Maid and the Mermaid, knowing from the chatter of the city that this is the place to find work. Dropping his invisibility, he steps inside, ready to enter a bold new world of assassinations.

planswalker
2010-06-07, 11:51 PM
If team metasynapse is ready, head here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155364)

Rizban has given me permission to take over y'alls thread (i dropped out of nonpan) so you can get things moving.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 12:42 AM
Vorpal Sledge

Kylar wonders slowly down Mastiff's Road, mingling with the crowd and halfway listening to the conversations around him. He sighs and pushes his hair back, contemplating the rumors he has heard about the local nobility

knowledge: local [roll0]

that would be nobility and royalty. a more general dynamic including the guilds and such can be gotten with local. you need to redo the roll. you must do it in your first post (can't edit it in). and be sure to follow the format:1d20+N

Shadowleaf

Drassuk spends a few minutes on the street talking to a few people, then heads for Ezekiel's Supplies.

Inside Ezekiel's supplies, he finds quite a few people shopping for various things: ten foot poles, nets, portable rams, backpacks, lanterns, tents, wax, soap, and even a set of needles protected inside a glass case. Upon closer examination, the needles are exorbitantly expensive and seem to be made from platinum. A clerk notices him and says, "Excuse me, can i help you?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 01:12 AM
Drassuk

Drassuk faces the clerk.
"Yes, I believe you can. I am here to see Mr. Jedder, if it is a possibility. If not, how do I make it one?" Drassuk speaks in a stern and confident voice.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 01:14 AM
"Mr Jedder is a very busy man. I could set you up with an appointment for later today."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 01:55 AM
Drassuk
"In this day and age, who is not a busy man? That would be appreciated. I am sure a meeting with me would appeal to his interests."

planswalker
2010-06-08, 01:57 AM
"I can put you in for 2:00. Please be sure to bring whatever business contract you are trying to sell him with you."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 02:03 AM
Drassuk
(OOC: What time is it now?)
"I see your point. I will then put in a purchase for a piece of parchment."
The faintest glimpse of a smile can be seen across Drassuk's lips.

(OOC: Even though I didn't put it on my character sheet, one could assume a Wizard would carry a pen. If not, he lost it along the way and would like to purchase another.)

planswalker
2010-06-08, 02:08 AM
ooc: you gotta buy one if you don't have one on your inventory, along with the parchment. it's about 10:30 in the morning when you arrive in the shop.

"Feel free to shop around and purchase whatever. Please ask if you need to buy a needle. They are kept under lock and key because the local needle mine underproduced this year and the prices went incredibly high."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 02:12 AM
Drassuk
Drassuk has a very hard time hiding his supriced look.

"The local.. Needle.. Mine? Might one ask what one uses these needles for? They seem awfully expensive for sewing."

Drassuk hovers his hand above his Haversack, and pulls forth a gold coin and places it on the counter. "A few pieces of parchment, a quill and some ink. Keep the change. Please."

planswalker
2010-06-08, 02:22 AM
"2 pieces of parchment and a quill is 5 silver, the ink is 8 gold. Please pay for the full price."

"as to the needle mine, how else does one get needles? what, are you supposed to make them in a smithy? i'm afraid that just isn't feasible. It's much easier to simply mine them from the nearby cave that has them in naturally occuring formations. We supply needles to most of the country from that mine."

my prices are straight out of the phb

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 02:56 AM
Drassuk
Drassuk pulls up another 9 goldpieces. "Sorry, I did not mean to cause a bother. Please accept the change." Drassuk lets off an easy smile, but his dead eyes makes it apparent he obviously does not care.
"And I guess that makes sense. Why I would want to buy needles is beyond me, but I will keep it in mind, should I ever need some."

acid_ninja
2010-06-08, 02:57 AM
Ajah steps out of the recruiting room into the main common room of the Maid. Where before his movements were furtive, almost nervous he now strides with confidence and purpose.

He moves swiftly to the bar.

"I'd like something to eat and a pot of tea. Also, where can I find lodging?"

Rizban
2010-06-08, 05:22 AM
Punchinello - Cobbler's Crossing

Punchinello appears on Cobbler's Crossing in the same place he did the day before. He sets out his cart and a few wares and his old sign.

"Punchinello's Charms and Incantations"

"Charms, amulets, and other objects of power for sale! Custom items upon request! Very good deals!"

He makes his announcement then sits down against his cart, awaiting a customer.

[hr]Ajah - The Maid and Mermaid

You manage to find a stool at one of the three bars, and a mermaid swims up to you to take your order. Upon hearing your request, she says, "That will be five silver, sir"

planswalker
2010-06-08, 05:25 AM
Drassuk
Drassuk pulls up another 9 goldpieces. "Sorry, I did not mean to cause a bother. Please accept the change." Drassuk lets off an easy smile, but his dead eyes makes it apparent he obviously does not care.
"And I guess that makes sense. Why I would want to buy needles is beyond me, but I will keep it in mind, should I ever need some."

If you do not see the wisdom in mined needles, none shall be forced on you. Thank you for your business.

Ajah steps out of the recruiting room into the main common room of the Maid. Where before his movements were furtive, almost nervous he now strides with confidence and purpose.

He moves swiftly to the bar.

"I'd like something to eat and a pot of tea. Also, where can I find lodging?"
That wil be 5 silver for the meal and drink. As to lodging, you could get lodging at an inn for a reasonable price. There are many littered throughout the merchant's quarter.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 05:28 AM

Punchinello appears on Cobbler's Crossing in the same place he did the day before. He sets out his cart and a few wares and his old sign.

"Punchinello's Charms and Incantations"

"Charms, amulets, and other objects of power for sale! Custom items upon request! Very good deals!"

He makes his announcement then sits down against his cart, awaiting a customer.

Uvag walks up invisibly to the peddler and dispels it. "I have a question for you; Can you sell me items other than useless trinkets? For example, could you get me a special pair of boots? ones that could increase stealth."

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 06:11 AM
Drassuk
Drassuk nods and exits the building. He spends the next few hours roaming the streets, trying to find a suitable place to write up a contract. He decides to head for the nearest library, hoping for some tranquility.

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-08, 07:28 AM
right, sorry :D

[roll0]

Let's see what i can find out, eh?

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 08:18 AM
Lornal

Seeing as how the guard ignores him he makes a bit of a sour face and moves on. Not even at his third step and he hears the loud announcement of Punchinello.

"A charm shop eh? Could be useful to get to know the proprietor." he says to himself. Walking over to the cart and seeing as how the owner is busy with a customer he stands off to the side and waits his turn as he inspects the wares. He is within hearing distance of course but he doesn't seem to be making any special effort to listen in on the transaction.

Amidst Punchinello and Uvag's conversation he makes sure it's "ok" to browse by making a gesture to the proprietor.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 12:31 PM
Drassuk
Drassuk nods and exits the building. He spends the next few hours roaming the streets, trying to find a suitable place to write up a contract. He decides to head for the nearest library, hoping for some tranquility.

The nearest library is dedicated to boccobob. It is a quiet place open to the public. The receptionist allows you to come in and tells you softly, "Be sure to not disturb the others. Welcome to the Library."

right, sorry :D

[roll0]

Let's see what i can find out, eh?

You recall little, but the local library will definitely contain more information.

Lornal

Seeing as how the guard ignores him he makes a bit of a sour face and moves on. Not even at his third step and he hears the loud announcement of Punchinello.

"A charm shop eh? Could be useful to get to know the proprietor." he says to himself. Walking over to the cart and seeing as how the owner is busy with a customer he stands off to the side and waits his turn as he inspects the wares. He is within hearing distance of course but he doesn't seem to be making any special effort to listen in on the transaction.

Amidst Punchinello and Uvag's conversation he makes sure it's "ok" to browse by making a gesture to the proprietor.

sorry that you got missed. you are currently waiting to talk with the dms' pc's. the guard wasn't supposed ignore you, but we lost track of you. Something will come of your current action as soon as rizban and i can resolve our negotiations.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 01:30 PM

Punchinello looks at the dragonborn who suddenly appeared before him.

"You, sir, appear to be quite stealthy already. Though, I think I could probably procure the item in question. What, specifically, did you have in mind?"

He notices Lornal.

"Ah, another customer! Business is quite good today, eh? Feel free to look at my charms, but please don't touch. I'd hate for one of the protections on them to activate against you by accident. They only function for the proper owner, you know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask."

planswalker
2010-06-08, 01:44 PM
specifically, i can ensure i am not seen, but sound is another matter. I need something which can aid me at not merely walking unseen, but also unheard. I suspect magic over my feet would be the most efficient method for now, but my armor is another thing i am considering. Can you assist me in this?

Rizban
2010-06-08, 02:05 PM
"I'd probably be more adept at creating something for your feet, as that is more akin to the charms I'm proficient in crafting. While I can do armor, it's not really my forte.

The question then becomes, what can you afford to pay?"

planswalker
2010-06-08, 02:11 PM
I have recently come into some items, worth quite a bit of money. If you do not want to pawn them off of me directly, i can always sell to someone else and bring you the cash. I can afford to spend up to 5,000 gold on this for now, with a quality product ensuring my future loyalty.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 02:17 PM
"Allow me to see the items, please. We'll go from there."

You can PM me the exact list of stuff you want to barter to me if you'd rather not post it publicly.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 02:28 PM
Shazrala

As you enter The Maid and Mermaid, you see one giant room with nearly a hundred tables scattered about. There are three separate bars, one on each of the walls other than the one the main entrance is on. Each is at least fifty feet long, and staffed by real mermaids - a quick glance reveals that the area behind the bar is filled with water, probably through magical means. Serving women of all races wander between the tables, carrying trays of food and drink.

One serving girl, a half-elf with long brown hair, spots you entering and strides over to you, a tray of beer mugs balanced on one hand. "Welcome to the Maid and the Mermaid, sir!" she says brightly. "Can I get you something?"

planswalker
2010-06-08, 02:29 PM
"Well, i have a pellet of dust of dryness currently holding water, which i am sure has many uses, A handy haversack with a dimensional storage space, and a magical longbow with quite a pull on the string. I also have recently acquired some... specialty arrows." he lowers his voice to a hushed tone. "One of them is able to slay humans instantly, the other 5 can cause someone to sleep." he then resumes a regular tone. "If these items are useful to you, you are surely willing to barter one or 2 of them for the item i want."

Niezck
2010-06-08, 02:50 PM
Show me where the jobs are.

I state coldly, with no emotion shown.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 02:51 PM
"I suppose I can take the bow and the arrows in exchange for say... this?"

He reaches under his cart and produces a pair of finely crafted, supple leather boots. He turns them over so that you can see his maker's mark displayed prominently on the soles, a grinning farceur's mask with a disproportionately long nose.

"I believe that these will serve your purpose adequately, and I can upgrade them further in the future when you have more funding.

I believe that the exchange is slightly in your favor, by quite a sum actually, but I'm a kind soul and rather like new customers. All new customers get a significant discount on their first purchase."

Punchinello practically shouts that last sentence.

Boots of Elvenkind (Move Silently +8)

Note that I'm going to count the next 7 days of game time as crafting time for me to produce the boots but won't make your character wait that long to get them.

[hr]Shazrala

The half-elf serving girl rolls her eyes and points to the back of the building where a burly looking dwarf sits behind a small desk next to a thick wooden door. She turns and walks away to serve the beers she carries without another word, or at least none that you hear.

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 02:54 PM
Lornal

Almost immediately Lornal draws his hand away from the charm he was about to touch. He tips his hat to the man as a sign of thanks. He thoughtfully touches his chin as he waits to speak with the dealer inspecting the rather curious and varied charms.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 02:54 PM
"This offer is more than fair. You have a new loyal customer. I shall come to you for all my magical needs." Uvag is sure to repay this favor by confirming your words. He is definitely impressed with your work.

Niezck
2010-06-08, 02:56 PM
I casually walk toward the dwarf and speakly softly, but with a demanding tone. Tell me where to find work. A very special kind of work, that is.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:01 PM
Shazrala - The Maid and Mermaid

The dwarf looks at you and smirks.

"If'n you're up to it, it's through there."
He points to the door next to him.

"Ah, not so fast, boy-o. You got to sign this first."

He slides a contract towards you across the desk.

"Standard non-disclosure agreement. You reveal anything about what takes place beyond yonder door, and you immediately gain a price tag on that pretty little scalp of yours. Got it?"

[hr]Punchinello - Cobbler's Crossing

"Glad to hear it, my friend!

Now, sir, I do believe you were next in line."

He motions to Lornal to come closer so they can speak.

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 03:19 PM
Lornal

"Yes, Indeed." He says voice filled with chipper. He nods to the man concluding his business "And good day to you sir." he says to Uvag.

"My good merchant you have a wonderful cart. I've recently come into town and am searching for a bit of work. Could you provide me with directions to the royal palace?" He looks to the palace in the distance, "I can surely see it from here but a local's directions is worth more than me wandering around for a few minutes trying to find it."

"I hear this town is brimming with jobs, a man of many talents like myself surely could find work..."

Although Lornal is new to the town, he seems to be aware of his surroundings. He has the look of an adventurer or sharpshooter with that bladed crossbow hanging from his hip.

Niezck
2010-06-08, 03:30 PM
I scoff at the dwarf, and quickly make my mark on the contract.

Whatever

I open the door and walk through

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:30 PM

""A job? You might have me confused with another. For the moment, I am neither in need of any particular work being done nor in possession of funds to pay for such a job. Perhaps in the future I might hire one of your talents, but for now, I am but a simple merchant trying to make his way in this harsh world.

As for the palace, I have never been there myself.

As for being a local, I but arrived in town but yesterday myself."

He laughs as he conveys that last bit of information.

""If, however, you are looking to purchase high quality goods at inexpensive prices, I am most certainly your man."

[hr]Shazrala - The Maid and Mermaid

Inside you see a number of doors, behind each is a new possibility.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 03:35 PM
Drassuk
Drassuk passes time writing up the contract, and reads in his spellbook when done. At 01:35, he heads back to Ezekiel's Supplies.

(OOC: Do you want me to actually type out the contract, or can I do an Intelligence check or something in order to avoid holes in it?)

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 03:39 PM
Lornal

Looking a bit confused at the man "No, no good sir I am looking for a job at the palace. Oh well off I go!" He pauses his step to add "Although should I need some magic do hickeys I'll be sure to look you up. I don't have enough jingle jangle at the moment however; the road was tough on my purse."

Lornal makes his way to the palace in search of work.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 03:42 PM
Drassuk's IC thread- see pm

Rizban
2010-06-08, 03:44 PM

Punchinello looks sad that he has missed out on a potential sale but continues on with his day selling goods and trinkets to anyone who wants them.

"Trinkets, amulets, and custom items, good prices! Extra discount to new customers! Will accept trade ins on old merchandise."

[hr]Lornal - Mastiff's Road

As you proceed north on Mastiff's towards the palace, you encounter a high stone wall with a gatehouse and several guards. The palace is in the district beyond the wall. As you try to pass through, one of the guards stops you.

"Whoa there. I ain't seen you round here before. What's your business here?"

Niezck
2010-06-08, 04:01 PM
I walk into the first door I come to that is hiring an assassin.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 04:02 PM
Shazrala

[roll0]

Ormagoden
2010-06-08, 04:38 PM
Lornal

"Hail and well met good guard of the house Royal." Lornal removes his hat and bows slightly introducing himself. "I am Lornal Dreamchaser, I seek to speak with the Castellan or barring that the Master of the guard. The nature of my business is to be of service to the crown sir. To that end I would like to make a formal request for a meeting or audience with one of these heads of the keep at their earliest convenience."

Lornal clutches the top of his hat to his heart as he speaks. With care he replaces his hat back onto his head with a smile. He is well kept and clean bearing only a bit of road dirt on his boots. He looks like a common man but has a bit of a way with words that makes him out to be more than meets they eye.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Should you need it for whatever reason.

Rizban
2010-06-08, 05:08 PM
Lornal - Nobles' District Gatehouse

"Oi! Would you look at that?" He smirks to the guard nearest him who seems to be trying not to laugh.

"Well, alright then, let's see your papers, eh? Surely someone what wants to work for the king has got his papers."

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-08, 10:41 PM
Kylar sighs, realizing he came vastly under prepared in attempting to find wetwork in this city.
Since i know nothing of this area, I suppose it would be best to start learning from the beginning. To the library, an infinite resource of no-doubt outdated wisdom.
Kylar proceeds to wander the city, following the signs until he comes upon the library, where upon he steps inside, and proceeds to the front desk for information.

planswalker
2010-06-08, 11:17 PM
An elven receptionist greets you, "welcome. how may i help you today?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-08, 11:51 PM
Cannonball
A large warforged stand in the middle of the street, looking around apparently cluelessly. His composite plates has a red tint to them, and his eyes glows with fiery. He is wearing a grey tunika, and a greatsword is slung across his back.

After a minute or two, he decides to head for the Maid and the Mermaid.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 12:02 AM
CANNONBALL

As you enter The Maid and Mermaid, you see one giant room with nearly a hundred tables scattered about. There are three separate bars, one on each of the walls other than the one the main entrance is on. Each is at least fifty feet long, and staffed by real mermaids - a quick glance reveals that the area behind the bar is filled with water, probably through magical means. Serving women of all races wander between the tables, carrying trays of food and drink.

One serving girl, a half-elf with long brown hair, spots you entering and strides over to you, a tray of beer mugs balanced on one hand. "Welcome to the Maid and the Mermaid, sir!" she says brightly. "Can I get you something?"

yes, this was shamelessly ripped from rizban's last post where someone entered the mermaid

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 12:05 AM
Cannonball
Cannonball lets off an awkwared smile. "Yes, you could, but I do not require neither food nor liquid. I hope it is okay? I do not mean to offend you."

planswalker
2010-06-09, 12:17 AM
She looks at you rather oddly, then asks, "So what did you come in here for anyways?"

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 12:21 AM
Cannonball
"Oh, very simple! Work! You see, I am a.. Protecter. Of people. And I am looking for someone to pay me for protecting them!"
Cannonball does not sound stupid as much as just plain nervous.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 12:24 AM
Well, there are a couple of rooms in the back where you could go. all sorts of employers are hiring. no guarantees, though.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 12:30 AM
Cannonball
Cannonball smiles, and head for the back rooms.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 12:33 AM
Cannonball - The Maid and Mermaid

"If'n you're up to it, it's through there."
He points to the door next to him.

"Ah, not so fast, boy-o. You got to sign this first."

"Standard non-disclosure agreement. You reveal anything about what takes place beyond yonder door, and you immediately gain a price tag on that shiny little head of yours. Got it?"

again, shameless rip from rizban

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 12:36 AM
Cannonball
"Yes. I have gotten it."

Cannonball takes a moment to read through the contract.

Intelligence check to make sure he's not getting scammed.
[roll0]

Edit: Naturally.

Assuming he does not find anything, he signs and heads through.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 12:57 AM
he doesn't notice any problems at all. In fact, he thinks that this contract will practically guarantee that he gets a job. He is slightly confused what a "needle mine" is or what it has to do with collateral should he disclose somethingoranother.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 12:59 AM
Cannonball
Enough talkamajamit. Cannonball signs and heads through. :smallwink:

Rizban
2010-06-09, 01:00 AM
Almahdi

Almahdi wanders out onto the street, looking for another bodyguard to join his 'illustrious' team. He eventually finds himself in The Maid and Mermaid, and after a bit of brief confusion with one of the serving girls, finds himself near the back of the room watching a warforged stare blankly at a contract of some sort.

Eventually, he grows tired of watching the warforged try to puzzle out the words and taps him on the shoulder to gain his attention.

Note that planswalker's shameless rips from me are based off of a shameless rip from The Watchman on the first page. :smallbiggrin:

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 01:03 AM
Cannonball
Cannonball turns around, with a surprised looks on his face. "Who're you?" He attempts to smile, but still looks a bit puzzled.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 01:12 AM
Almahdi grins and starts doing an elaborate set of hand signals towards him.

Noticing that the warforged doesn't understand, he sighs, points to the contract that was just signed, points to the warforged, rubs his fingers together in the universal symbol for money, then motions for him to follow.

Shadowleaf
2010-06-09, 01:14 AM
(What does Almadhi look like?)
Cannonball
"Assuming you understand what I say, I am not stupid."
He does follow, however. As he is leaving, he turns his head to the dwarf, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone what I saw in there". He winks at him and smiles.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 01:26 AM
(What does Almadhi look like?)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8579120#post8579120

Almahdi turns and walks out of The Maid and Mermaid and turns north, walking until he reaches Broad Chase. He turns east, looking behind him to ensure the warforged is still following, motioning him to continue on. He then walks a bit until he reaches Pirner Outfitters and proceeds inside, again motioning for the warforged to follow.

Shadowleaf:If you follow Almahdi inside, go to this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154671

Ormagoden
2010-06-09, 07:54 AM
Lornal

Lornal frowns dejectedly, he didn't anticipate any need for identifying papers. He furrows his brow and sighs. "I don't have any papers sir, I am a common born man who spent a bit of time in the military. What I do have is a heart to serve and protect." He nods and continues "If that is not enough please point me to someone who can facilitate me getting the proper paperwork in order. As it is my true desire to protect this country and its assets"

Although he doesn't show it outwardly he is starting to realize that he may have to just rise up the ladder of nobility in order to get work in the palace. Having to make a name for himself in a new location is bothersome indeed...

Rizban
2010-06-09, 12:19 PM
Lornal

"Ya need a letter of recommendation from a noble what lives yonder and has a position in either the Court or on the Council. Then you got to take it over to the Guard headquarters, so they can run a criminal background check on you and validate the letter. If everything is approved, you'll be granted access to the Nobles' District."

If it's this difficult just to get into the district, you start to wonder what the security requirements are like inside and what potentially deadly threats must be faced by these nobles to warrant such defenses.

Ormagoden
2010-06-09, 01:37 PM
Lornal

Stonewalled by the guardsmen and the insanely strict paperwork and clearance needed to simply put in a request to see the Castellan he sighs but smiles still to the guard.

"I shall endeavor to meet your requests! Thank you for the very useful information good sir!"

He makes his way back towards Mastiff's road. Going to the inn and listening for nobles who might need some sure eyed bodyguards definitely sounds like step one.

He makes his way inside The Maid and Mermaid and takes a seat at the bar. He orders an ale throwing down two copper and looks around. When the barkeep brings his drink he asks "Hear any rumors about noble's looking for workers around here?"

So much for thinking outside the sandbox. Lets climb the corporate ladder of ADVENTURE!

planswalker
2010-06-09, 01:47 PM
So much for thinking outside the sandbox. Lets climb the corporate ladder of ADVENTURE!

well, it's not so much that you thought outside the sandbox as it is that you tried to skip to the dessert table. That's the good part of the sandbox. Big bullies have been set up to prevent the nerds from playing there. So the nerds gotta learn to beat up the bullies to get in. either that, or join their club and become big enough to get in. However, feel free to seek adventure somewhere unconventional.

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-09, 02:28 PM
An elven receptionist greets you, "welcome. how may i help you today?"

Hello. I'm relatively new in town, just arrived, actually, and i would like to know more about the history of this fine town. Perhaps you ahve a few volumes on the history of the noble families...?

planswalker
2010-06-09, 02:34 PM
Hello. I'm relatively new in town, just arrived, actually, and i would like to know more about the history of this fine town. Perhaps you ahve a few volumes on the history of the noble families...?

"Well, i do believe that a record of the noble families is in the history section." She gives you written directions for how to get there.

you may retry your knowledge checks, each retry takes 30 minutes. you get a +2 circumstance on that check

Ormagoden
2010-06-09, 02:43 PM
Lornal

As he sits at the bar he gets an idea, its been a long time since he offered his services to those in need. Not really waiting for the barkeep's reply he begins writing down something on a piece of paper.

Scribe, Looking for work.
High attention to detail and familiar with all processes and high language.
Fluent in Common and Elven.
Seek Lornal Dreamchaser At The Maid and Mermaid.
Reasonable prices for an elegant hand.
<The above words are flowery and pretty looking.>

Lornal finishes his drink hoping the barkeep has something to say before he goes and posts this up on whatever general help and job board there is in the city.

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-09, 03:19 PM
"Well, i do believe that a record of the noble families is in the history section." She gives you written directions for how to get there.

you may retry your knowledge checks, each retry takes 30 minutes. you get a +2 circumstance on that check

Thank you, ma'm
Kylar makes his way over to the history section, picks up a few promising looking volumes, and settles into research.

knowledge(local) [roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-09, 03:28 PM
Thank you, ma'm
Kylar makes his way over to the history section, picks up a few promising looking volumes, and settles into research.

knowledge(local) [roll0]

see pm for knowledge check.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-09, 03:42 PM
Hammer enters the city, his silvered mithral body gleaming in the light, his characteristic warhammer propped over the back of one shoulder, his white eyes glowing as he looks around. I suppose the tavern will do as a start he thinks to himself, before pushing open the door and looking around. Assuming nothing else catches his eye, he goes over to the barman, places a gold coin on the bar, and says: "Buy a drink for anyone in the bar you feel like. Or don't, it's up to you. But I'd appreciate it if you could help me find some work. I am a very skilled bodyguard. I have references."

planswalker
2010-06-09, 03:45 PM
Hammer enters the city, his silvered mithral body gleaming in the light, his characteristic warhammer propped over the back of one shoulder, his white eyes glowing as he looks around. I suppose the tavern will do as a start he thinks to himself, before pushing open the door and looking around. Assuming nothing else catches his eye, he goes over to the barman, places a gold coin on the bar, and says: "Buy a drink for anyone in the bar you feel like. Or don't, it's up to you. But I'd appreciate it if you could help me find some work. I am a very skilled bodyguard. I have references."

The mermaid looks at you and says, "thanks for the drink. It's not often someone will pay for me to have one. If you're looking for work, there is a room in the back where local employers are looking to hire likely muscle.

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-09, 03:52 PM
Kylar stands, stretches and places the books back on the shelf.
He ponders, Chaos is never good...neither is absolute control. But it appears as if the guard are unable to control this city. Perhaps i should ask if i can help them...covertly.
Kylar leaves the library, thanking the receptionist, and heads towards the barracks.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 03:55 PM
the barracks is a large building with several guards inside. Upon entering, one of them asks you, "What business do you have here?"

Rizban
2010-06-09, 03:57 PM
Lornal

Lornal posts it on the job board outside of the Maid and Mermaid.

A man walking by notices what he's posting and says, "You try over at the Scriveners' Union? If you're looking for work, they're likely to have a couple leads for you. It's over on Die Geummauerte Straße and Asingbury Avenue."

After imparting his advice, he walks away.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-09, 04:02 PM
Knowledge (history) check to see what I know about the city's past and the history of the royalty and nobility: [roll0]

Acting on the barkeep's advice, Hammer heads for the back room to check out his prospective employers.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 04:13 PM
Hammer

You go through the door. You see a dwarf sitting at a desk with several papers on it.

"If'n you're up to it, it's through there. You got to sign this first."

"Standard non-disclosure agreement. You reveal anything about what takes place beyond yonder door, and you immediately gain a price tag on that shiny little head of yours. Got it?"

Cogidubnus
2010-06-09, 04:19 PM
"I don't sign" growls the warforged. "Not unless I know what I'm signing, and I don't trust anyone here to read it to me. Not yet. If my references," he pulls them from his backpack and slams them onto the desk, the curled personal handwriting of a minor king not that far away shining on the top page "and my word aren't enough for you, I might well take offence."

Intimidate check: [roll0]

planswalker
2010-06-09, 04:21 PM
he stares at you calmly. "If you refuse to sign, then i can't help you. Feel free to leave now before you get hurt."

Ormagoden
2010-06-09, 04:22 PM
Lornal

Smirking slightly he posts up the letter anyway and thanks the man. "What a wonderful stroke of luck you passing by sir! May whatever gods you pray to show you the same good fortune you've shown me!"

With that Lornal tucks in his shirt a bit and fixes his outfit making his way to the Scriveners' Union. Luck seemed a fleeting mistress today and as it came and went it brought both frustration and ease.

With any more luck the walk will be short and the view will be nice.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-09, 04:25 PM
Hammer's face, for a moment, starts to glow with white runes, but he quickly surpresses it, saying: "I have a thought. Maybe that mermaid at the bar would be willing to peruse the contract for me. She seemed nice." He takes the paperwork quickly back to the bar, and asks: "Excuse me, might I ask you a favour? Do you read? Only, I have to sign this, and I can't. I thought I might be able to trust you. I've had...bad times...with contracts." For a moment, the warforged seems to look small, and fragile, but he straightens up and presents the papers.

vorpal_sledge
2010-06-09, 04:44 PM
the barracks is a large building with several guards inside. Upon entering, one of them asks you, "What business do you have here?"

Kylar smiles easily, holding his hands up in a gesture of submission. Easy, good sir, I mean no harm. I have heard that the criminal element is getting somewhat out of hand, and i only wish to offer my...special services to your fair city.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 04:46 PM
Lornal

You arrive at the Scriveners' Union, a two story wooden building on the corner of Die Geummauerte Straße and Asingbury Avenue. Die Geummauerte Straße, it turns out, is the road which is closest to the wall of the Nobles' District, running east and west off of Mastiff's just before one reaches the Gate Imperial.

Inside, he sees numerous desk areas partitioned by short, apparently movable, walls. The sound of numerous pens scratching on paper creates an almost musical chorus of noise. The walls are lined with countless books and scrolls. Scribes are running from one desk to the next, fetching, carrying, delivering, and otherwise helping to the best of their abilities.

A petite woman sits at a empty desk near the door. She appears to be in the process of painting her nails a bright shade of red. She hasn't noticed you.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 04:56 PM
Hammer
The mermaid reads the contract aloud to you. It has quite a bit of fine print and one particularly odd section mentions needle mines, but there is nothing specifically out to harm you, unless you talk about what you see with someone else. It appears to be a non-disclosure agreeement.

Kylar

You'll want to see Captain Marcell then. he points towards the far door and

your own character thread. pm inc.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-09, 05:07 PM
Hammer carefully wipes ink onto his thumb and presses it down onto the non-disclosure agreement, leaving a complex rune on it. There. The most unique signature you can get. he says, handing the agreement to the dwarf, and walking past him.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 05:13 PM
Hammer
Inside you see a number of doors, behind each is a new possibility.
each door has a nameplate and a one-word description of what the person is looking for- protection or assassination.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-09, 05:29 PM
Not knowing what the doors say, and not wishing to put himself at anyone's mercy, Hammer picks a door at random and walks through it.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 06:06 PM
Upon entering through this door, a

personal character thread appears!

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 08:41 PM
<hr>Ajah - The Maid and Mermaid

You manage to find a stool at one of the three bars, and a mermaid swims up to you to take your order. Upon hearing your request, she says, "That will be five silver, sir"[/QUOTE]

Ajah

Ajah hands over the money and begins to eat patiently, savoring the meal and the tea as if he had never eaten decent food before.

Thank you. And lodging? I'd prefer somewhere quiet and out of the way

OoC: What time is it?

planswalker
2010-06-09, 08:48 PM
The dragonborn dwarf walk up to the bar and asks for a flagon of Deep Brew.

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 09:22 PM
Ajah
Spooning up the last of his stew, Ajah notices the squat, draconic figure next to him. Feeling flush with a place in the world and a decent meal he attempts to strike up a conversation.

Deep brew? Sounds ominous

Ormagoden
2010-06-09, 09:24 PM
Lornal

He glances around lost in memory, looking around reminds him of the smaller group of scribes he learned is trade from before he joined the military. It was a hard road learning to be a recorder of words and voice. He still feels a little cramp in his hand every time he hears the drawing of pen across paper.

He begins to recall the first day he left to fight and the angry look on his father's face when... When he notices the woman behind the desk.

"Greetings miss, and please forgive my interruption. My name is Lornal Dreamchaser, I am a military man but had training as a scribe when I was younger. Would you happen to have any openings for work at this time?"

Lornal is currently dressed, nothing like a scribe. Which may put the woman off. Green long coat with a brown leather vest and white traveling shirt, green pants and dusty well worn green leather boots. Topped with a bright smile and a green angular brimmed hat. More importantly he is armed, he has two quivers, crossbow and a large travelers pack with various items hanging from it by leather straps.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 09:25 PM
Ajah

The mermaid says, "Lodging here is one of the best in town. It'll cost you 4 gold a night. If you're interested in a room, you'll need to talk to the man in the office over there."

She points to a human in a small office near the stairs heading up who is busy filling out paperwork.

((It's early afternoon, say... 2ish))

[hr]Lornal

The woman looks up at you, then goes back to painting her nails.

"Dunno, I'm just the temp."

planswalker
2010-06-09, 09:26 PM
Ajah
Spooning up the last of his stew, Ajah notices the squat, draconic figure next to him. Feeling flush with a place in the world and a decent meal he attempts to strike up a conversation.

Deep brew? Sounds ominous

"Well, it's something of an acquired tolerance; all the best drinks are." The dragonborn says. "What about you? what sort of drink do you like?"

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 09:39 PM
"Well, it's something of an acquired tolerance; all the best drinks are." The dragonborn says. "What about you? what sort of drink do you like?"

Ajah's face becomes troubled.
I...don't know. Tea, I suppose.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 09:55 PM
acid_ninja / Ajah

((You missed my post to you, again.))

planswalker
2010-06-09, 09:57 PM
"Never could tolerate the stuff. The caffine made me jittery. You must be made of iron to stomach that." The dragonborn seems greatly impressed. "So, what brings you here to the mermaid?"

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 10:03 PM
acid_ninja / Ajah

((You missed my post to you, again.))

I saw it, just in the middle of a conversation.

Ajah nods at the mermaid and turns back to the dragonborn dwarf

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 10:04 PM
"Never could tolerate the stuff. The caffine made me jittery. You must be made of iron to stomach that." The dragonborn seems greatly impressed. "So, what brings you here to the mermaid?"

Looking for work, like a lot of the others here. I suppose you're here for the same reason?

planswalker
2010-06-09, 10:15 PM
"Actually, found some. Just completed two different jobs for 2 different people. Came here looking to celebrate. What sort of work are you looking for specifically? I already know a person or two who could help us both out with some work.The pay isn't always the best, but you can sleep easier at night knowing that the city is safer for you having been there."

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 10:23 PM
"Actually, found some. Just completed two different jobs for 2 different people. Came here looking to celebrate. What sort of work are you looking for specifically? I already know a person or two who could help us both out with some work.The pay isn't always the best, but you can sleep easier at night knowing that the city is safer for you having been there."

You've been busy. I've just found some work myself but I was waiting for nightfall before I begin. As far as what I do...the fact that I'm waiting for nightfall to do it is enough. After I'm finished with my current comission I may be interested in meeting your patrons. Money is not as important to me as being able to utilize my skills.

planswalker
2010-06-09, 10:29 PM
"hm... it sounds like you and i are in the same line of work. It may be that we would make better allies than rivals. I have skills at evasion and stealth which are belied by my squat form."

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 11:12 PM
"hm... it sounds like you and i are in the same line of work. It may be that we would make better allies than rivals. I have skills at evasion and stealth which are belied by my squat form."
I think we may be. Stealth and sudden, decisive strikes are my forte. As I said, I have a comission already, though I am prevented from speaking of it by the agreement I signed. I don't think that will prevent us from joining forces to fulfill it, however. Let us meet at midnight tonight. However, I think this place will have too many eyes to make it a good rendezvous. Where are your lodgings?

planswalker
2010-06-09, 11:18 PM
"Wherever i choose. I have yet to be caught sleeping in a place that told me 'no'. They have to see you first. Do you know where the sisters of salvation are? we could meet up there. I recently made friends with the woman in charge there. If she should happen to notice us, i can talk us out of it." He then proceeds to explain how to get there.

acid_ninja
2010-06-09, 11:27 PM
Ajah

Done then. I'll meet you there at midnight. For now I'll have to see about lodging here I suppose.

before he has a chance to get up he notices Punchinello sitting next to him.

Good day. Can I help you?

planswalker
2010-06-09, 11:30 PM
the dragonborn vanishes into thin air

for rizban's eyes

i'll follow my ally around for now
[roll0] move silently
[roll1] hide

Rizban
2010-06-09, 11:40 PM
Punchinello - The Maid and Mermaid

Punchinello walks into the bar and sits down next to Ajah, ordering only a glass of water. He turns and looks at Ajah and says, "Hey, good day?"

Ormagoden
2010-06-09, 11:50 PM
Lornal

He smiles lightly and takes a walk around. He is looking for someone who doesn't look and sound like a complete imbecile. Perhaps a scribe hard at work wearing expensive robes, a sign of experience and class. Or a man staring irately at a group of frantically writing apprentices.

As he looks he also pays attention to the shelves, looking at any expensive and well crafted books for a scribes mark, If he sees one that seems to be common he'll mentally note the name down. Maybe that would provide him with some additional information.

He is also cleverly keeps an eye out for anyone who gets up from a scribing bench in the middle of copying something.

If he sees someone get up he'll wait till they move out of sight sit down read and start to finish their work for them. Maybe that might get some attention! If it looks very complicated and intricate he'll hold off and simply comment on the impressiveness of the work when the scribe returns.

I just put this in so you have an idea of my plans and I don't blind side you guys.

Rizban
2010-06-09, 11:59 PM
Lornal

Lornal is stopped by an important looking scribe, who is only about 5 feet tall. He looks up at Lornal with an impatient glare.

"You don't look familiar. I'm in charge here today, and if you belonged here, I'd know you."

acid_ninja
2010-06-10, 12:19 AM
OoC: see post on page 8 for ajah's response to punchinello

Rizban
2010-06-10, 12:26 AM

"No, just making conversation. I'm a merchant myself, specializing in custom goods. How 'bout you?"

acid_ninja
2010-06-10, 04:36 AM

"No, just making conversation. I'm a merchant myself, specializing in custom goods. How 'bout you?"

What sort of custom goods?

Ormagoden
2010-06-10, 08:28 AM
Lornal

"I'm looking for work." he says flatly. "My name is Lornal Dreamchaser. I've been having some difficulty finding a job suited to my military talents. I have experience as a scribe and thought that perhaps I might pick up some work here to help keep my pockets full during my job hunt." He extends a gloved hand "Who are you, and do you require the services of an experienced scribe?"

Rizban
2010-06-10, 12:14 PM

"Custom ones. I specialize in protective charms and amulets, but I can make or acquire just about anything. I always give new customers a special discount too."

He slams back the water like he's taking a massive shot of liquor then sighs contentedly and orders a second glass.

"You need something? I might have something special for you if I knew what you needed."

Cogidubnus
2010-06-10, 02:41 PM
Hammer strides back into the tavern, looks around and, seeing several adventerous sorts, calls aloud: "I have a bodyguard contract to hire up to 3 allies. You will be guaranteed a better than average rate of pay for your service under my team, and I have experience leading others on jobs like this. If you want work, come speak to me. Just tell me why I should hire you."

Hammer then goes over to the mermaid and asks her "Don't suppose you'd be able to write that down for me, could you? I'd like to put up a sign saying to find me in here."

planswalker
2010-06-10, 02:50 PM
"Of course." she says, "Just get me a quill, parchment, and ink. I'd be pleased to do that for you."

Cogidubnus
2010-06-10, 02:52 PM
Hammer

"Do you know where I might find that? Is there a place to buy odds and ends around here?" Hammer asks.

Rizban
2010-06-10, 02:57 PM

Punchinello hears Hammer's proclamation and watches him talk to the mermaid at the other end of the bar. He hands Ajah a small business card.

"Here's my card sir. If you ever need anything, just look me up. Excuse me though, I think duty calls."

Punchinello stands and walks over to the warforged.

"Good day, sir, I overheard you looking for bodyguards. I am myself a purveyor of protective charms and amulets. My card."

He hands a business card to Hammer.

"Now, perhaps I might be interested in this, er... contract. On the other hand, perhaps I might not be the best choice, as I lack the physical prowess of those like yourself. I can, however, offer my services in creating custom totems to ward away evil.

Of course, if the pay is good, I might just be willing to sign on in an advisement role...

I also just happen to have my own pen and parchment here that you could use."

He draws a small wooden box from his coat, containing a pen and small, sealed ink well. He sets this on the bar then carefully tears a blank page from an old spellbook.

"Here you are."