PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a spontaneous druid beatstick?

Renchard
2010-05-27, 03:05 PM
So here's the concept: In my next game, I'm playing a character similar in flavor to a 4e warden, a mountain of a man who's infused with primal energy, although he's completely oblivious to the power he wields. He just knows he likes to chop stuff with a sword. The game is starting at 3rd, and ending around 14th or so. None of the other players are optimizers at all, so I tend to tone down my powergaming by making builds that are around tier 3 or so. This is the build:

Sorefang of the Simbanese Liberation Army
Human Barbarian 1/Druid 2

Class Variants
Whirling Frenzy - UA: Replaces Rage
Spirit Lion Totem - CC: Lose Fast Movement, gain Pounce
Aspect of Nature - UA: Gain aspects, lose wild shape
Spontaneous Casting Divine Caster - UA: Lose prepared casting, gain spontaneous casting
Elemental Companion - CM: Lose animal companion, gain elemental companion

Str: 16, Dex: 14, Con: 16
Int: 8, Wis: 16, Cha: 12

Feats
(H) Extra Rage
(1) Power Attack
(3) ???

My question is, what are good spells for a spontaneous casting druid who doesn't wild shape, and is primarily melee-focused? I'm definitely grabbing several of the Bite of the X spells, and Longstrider at 1st level seems a good idea to replace my lost fast movement. I'm also in discussion with my DM to replace the Summon Nature's Ally spells (which are all automatically known spells by a spontaneous druid) with a domain, any thematic suggestions with good low-level spells would be appreciated.

Weezer
2010-05-27, 03:18 PM
Use a quaterstaff, wielding only one end to get the 1.5 str. Cast Shillelagh on it. Now it's effectively a +1 greatsword. Other good spells of this type are Brambles and Spikes (SpC), both of which further enhance wooden weapons, making them very powerful. IIRC those are 2nd and 3rd level spells respectively.

Renchard
2010-05-27, 04:01 PM
Use a quaterstaff, wielding only one end to get the 1.5 str. Cast Shillelagh on it. Now it's effectively a +1 greatsword. Other good spells of this type are Brambles and Spikes (SpC), both of which further enhance wooden weapons, making them very powerful. IIRC those are 2nd and 3rd level spells respectively.

I thought about Shillelagh, but I'm not sure if it's worth a precious known spell slot when I can use an actual greatsword.

Weezer
2010-05-27, 04:21 PM
I thought about Shillelagh, but I'm not sure if it's worth a precious known spell slot when I can use an actual greatsword.

Good point, I hadn't connected the barbarian dip with the martial proficiencies. It's probably better for you to use a greatsword.

nedz
2010-05-27, 06:40 PM
Shillelagh stacks with either Brambles or Spikes, so the damage is probably more than a greatsword.
Since a quarter staff can be used two handed or as a double weapon you have the flexibility of TH or TWF (I spotted the pounce).
You can then take entangling staff (3rd level) as a further option.

I'm curious why you went for spontaneous Druid rather than Spirit Shamen, since the latter allows you to change spells every day, and you won't have the time to cast two many if you are in melle?

Renchard
2010-05-27, 07:21 PM
Shillelagh stacks with either Brambles or Spikes, so the damage is probably more than a greatsword.
Since a quarter staff can be used two handed or as a double weapon you have the flexibility of TH or TWF (I spotted the pounce).
You can then take entangling staff (3rd level) as a further option.

I'm curious why you went for spontaneous Druid rather than Spirit Shamen, since the latter allows you to change spells every day, and you won't have the time to cast two many if you are in melle?

I went back and forth on Spirit Shaman. The main reason I didn't was that I had just played one two games back. They're pretty much my favorite class, but I wanted to change it up a little bit. Plus, I'm also trying to make this character need less bookkeeping. My last 3 characters have been a Wiz/Iot7V, a Spirit Shaman/Holt Warden who primarily used summons, and a Beguiler (no spells to pick, but a decent number to keep track of).

Incidentally, I like the Entangling Staff option, that's a darn good spell.

Renchard
2010-05-28, 08:07 AM
Are there any good druid blasting spells besides Flame Strike, maybe at a lower level?

nedz
2010-05-28, 09:04 AM
Ice Storm :smallsmile:

Edit:
Since Spirit Shamen use Druid spells, and you played one two games back, how come you don't know them ?

jiriku
2010-05-28, 09:51 AM
He prolly wasn't melee.

You'll be hard-pressed to deal more damage with a greatsword than you can with shillelagh/spikes and a big stick. Especially if there's a sorcerer or wizard in the party who will cast greater mighty wallop on your stick (you can buy a wand of it and ask him to cast from the wand if he's not interested in learning/preparing the spell himself).

Consider also girallon's blessing (SpC), which gives you lots of natural attacks, or, if another caster will then cast fuse arms on you, an untyped +4 bonus to Strength.

Body of the sun is helpful at low levels, especially against the crowds of humanoids that many DMs favor. You can clear out a mob of low-hp foes pretty well, and it also works against swarms, which your melee attacks won't.

At higher levels, fire seeds plus resist energy (fire) on yourself is potent against enemies who aren't resistant to fire. Create eight holly berry bombs, carry them on your person, and set them off as a free action whenever you're surrounded by several foes. Mucho fire damage for all, and because resist energy applies separately to each bomb, you won't be harmed at all.

nedz
2010-05-28, 10:14 AM
He prolly wasn't melee.

But He's now asking about blasting spells ?

Renchard
2010-05-28, 12:55 PM
Ice Storm :smallsmile:

Edit:
Since Spirit Shamen use Druid spells, and you played one two games back, how come you don't know them ?

I started the game at 10th, and ended it at 16th. Low-level blasting spells weren't a major concern for me. The lowest level blasts I had were at 4th, Flame Strike and Arc of Lightning (SC).

nedz
2010-05-28, 02:42 PM
I started the game at 10th, and ended it at 16th. Low-level blasting spells weren't a major concern for me. The lowest level blasts I had were at 4th, Flame Strike and Arc of Lightning (SC).

OK, well these aren't a Druids strong suite
L1 Produce Flame, Sandblast
L2 Fire Trap, Saltray, Splinterbolt
L3 Call ltng, Ice Lance
These are probably your best options, but you are playing the wrong class for this sort of thing.

Renchard
2010-05-28, 02:56 PM
OK, well these aren't a Druids strong suite
L1 Produce Flame, Sandblast
L2 Fire Trap, Saltray, Splinterbolt
L3 Call ltng, Ice Lance
These are probably your best options, but you are playing the wrong class for this sort of thing.

Yea, you're probably right. Plus, I found out that a partymate is going Wizard, so I'm not going to worry about it. Pounce + Power Attack is a good enough blasting spell. :)

Renchard
2010-05-28, 02:57 PM
He prolly wasn't melee.

You'll be hard-pressed to deal more damage with a greatsword than you can with shillelagh/spikes and a big stick. Especially if there's a sorcerer or wizard in the party who will cast greater mighty wallop on your stick (you can buy a wand of it and ask him to cast from the wand if he's not interested in learning/preparing the spell himself).

Consider also girallon's blessing (SpC), which gives you lots of natural attacks, or, if another caster will then cast fuse arms on you, an untyped +4 bonus to Strength.

Body of the sun is helpful at low levels, especially against the crowds of humanoids that many DMs favor. You can clear out a mob of low-hp foes pretty well, and it also works against swarms, which your melee attacks won't.

At higher levels, fire seeds plus resist energy (fire) on yourself is potent against enemies who aren't resistant to fire. Create eight holly berry bombs, carry them on your person, and set them off as a free action whenever you're surrounded by several foes. Mucho fire damage for all, and because resist energy applies separately to each bomb, you won't be harmed at all.

Hmm, body of the sun looks interesting, thanks!