PDA

View Full Version : Improved Unarmed Strike 3.5

Seatbelt
2010-05-27, 04:56 PM
I'm looking for sources of Improved Unarmed Strike that don't involve being a monk or dipping 1 level of fighter. My current build is Desert Orc Druid 6/FotF 1 with the Druidic Avenger variant for rage and the other to sack Wild Shape for Being a Monk and Also A Ranger. I know this is not optimal. Getting rid of my animal companion is bad enough. But ditching Wild Shape is madness.

Greenish
2010-05-27, 04:58 PM
Just pick the feat normally?

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-27, 05:10 PM
Obligitory Unarmed Swordsage reference #392

Scipio
2010-05-27, 05:10 PM
Crystal Keep has some variant ranger styles, and the Bear Wrestling style gives Improved Unarmed Strike at 2nd level.

jiriku
2010-05-27, 05:20 PM
But ditching Wild Shape is madness.

Is it madness? OR IS IT SPARTA?

Be that as it may, PsiWar 1 grants a bonus feat you could use to pick up IUS, IIRC.

Temotei
2010-05-27, 05:34 PM
Is it madness? OR IS IT SPARTA?

Be that as it may, PsiWar 1 grants a bonus feat you could use to pick up IUS, IIRC.

Heck yes it does (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm). You could even take two levels for two bonus feats, +1 BAB (unless you're doing fractional BAB, which makes it 1.5 BAB), +3 Fort, two powers known, and one power point, excluding your Wisdom score bonus.

Seatbelt
2010-05-27, 05:41 PM
Whats the damage if you just take the feat? 1D6?

Greenish
2010-05-27, 05:49 PM
Whats the damage if you just take the feat? 1D6?1d3 for Medium creature.

nedz
2010-05-27, 05:53 PM
1d3 if you are medium

Edit: Ninjad, so I'll add
A level of Monk is actually better: 1d6 and an extra attack and (you know the rest)

Temotei
2010-05-27, 06:08 PM
1d3 if you are medium

Edit: Ninjad, so I'll add
A level of Monk is actually better: 1d6 and an extra attack and (you know the rest)

Too bad flurry of whiffs only advances with your monk levels. I'm honestly still voting for psychic warrior for the powers, however limited you are in their use.

Monk does give a bonus feat, though, and good saves. Your choice.

Greenish
2010-05-27, 06:31 PM
Too bad flurry of whiffs only advances with your monk levels.*cough*tashatalora*cough*

Temotei
2010-05-27, 06:32 PM
*cough*tashatalora*cough*

Right on, dawg. :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2010-05-27, 06:32 PM
Whats the damage if you just take the feat? 1D6?

You could drop two feats, into Imp. Unarmed Strike and then Superior Unarmed Strike. The latter essentially gives you the monk progression, except based on HD.

deuxhero
2010-05-27, 06:35 PM
Obligitory Unarmed Swordsage reference #392

only 392 of them?

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-27, 07:04 PM
only 392 of them?

Only 392 that I have personally read or written.

Seatbelt
2010-05-27, 07:08 PM
You could drop two feats, into Imp. Unarmed Strike and then Superior Unarmed Strike. The latter essentially gives you the monk progression, except based on HD.

Thats actually not a bad idea. I hadn't considered that. My DM was kind enough to drop the Favored Enemy (which made me sad, since its good...) for improved unarmed strike so I got it for free without having to multiclass (which was the goal). I'm going to rely on a quarterstaff and Shillelagh/rage for damage until 7th level when I can switch to unarmed attacks and such.

There was some item upgrade that lets you store a wand in an item. Anybody know what it was?

sofawall
2010-05-27, 07:20 PM
Wand chamber, Dungeonscape.

Marriclay
2010-05-27, 07:41 PM

where is superior unarmed strike from?

Reynard
2010-05-27, 07:53 PM
It's from Tome of Battle. It's not that good for non-monks, really. If you are a monk, you get the damage dice of a monk 4 levels higher, which is nice when mixed with monks belt, as it'll mean you'll have even less reason to bother with monk levels.

Seatbelt
2010-05-27, 07:58 PM
Wand chamber, Dungeonscape.

is it in MIC? I dont own that one.

Fax Celestis
2010-05-27, 08:09 PM

No, but it does pretty much what you think it does for 150gp.

sofawall
2010-05-27, 08:30 PM

No, it's in Dungeonscape... :smallconfused:

Darrin
2010-05-27, 10:09 PM
I'm looking for sources of Improved Unarmed Strike that don't involve being a monk or dipping 1 level of fighter. My current build is Desert Orc Druid 6/FotF 1 with the Druidic Avenger variant for rage and the other to sack Wild Shape for Being a Monk and Also A Ranger. I know this is not optimal. Getting rid of my animal companion is bad enough. But ditching Wild Shape is madness.

Battle Dancer (Dragon Compendium) and Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East) both get the monk's unarmed strike as a class feature with a 1-level dip (as does the Unarmed Swordsage that's been already mentioned). There's also a City Brawler variant of Barbarian in Dragon #349 that gets IUS + TWF (IUS only), which can also be combined with the Spirit Lion Totem ACF for Pounce.

There are several magic items that also give you IUS: Ring of Might and Bracers of Striking (Magic of Faerun, 4000 GP and 1310 GP respectively), Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic, 10000 GP), as well as the ubiquitous Monk's Belt.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-28, 12:29 AM
A note: Superior Unarmed Strike gives you the unarmed damage progression of a Small Monk, regardless of your size, up through level 19 (but does not improve to the level 20 capstone damage). So it's an excellent choice if your character is size Small or smaller.

You can get Improved Unarmed Strike from items. The Bracers of Striking (Magic of Faerūn) are a bargain at only 1,310 gp. A Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic) is more expensive but grants that feat, Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), and CON damage on an unarmed critical. Add a Monk's Belt (which does not grant the IUS feat) to either and you have little to gain from actual Monk levels.

Seatbelt
2010-05-28, 01:37 AM
Thanks all. I'm going to stick with straight Druid and work with the DM's alternate. I get a bunch of random stuff (another rage use, faster movement, AC bonus etc) if I keep my multiclassing to a minimum and I'm deliberately trying to keep myself to as few dips and things as possible.

Also, Thanks Fax. That is what I needed to know. :)