PDA

View Full Version : Climbing onto Monsters

Magic Myrmidon
2010-05-27, 05:46 PM
In my last session, I threw a few huge and gargantuan monsters at the party. They're particularly daring, so they tried to jump onto the monsters' back and hack away at them. I wasn't really prepared, and had no clue regarding the rules for that. So I just asked for climb checks and judged it with that. Afterwards, I wasn't sure how to shake them off. I mean, there's having the monster roll over, but that'll likely kill them and some of the monsters can't do that.

So yeah... are there any set rules for this? Have any of you had this happen or done it yourself?

And just out of curiosity, and to make the topic more fun, are there any funny stories regarding riding a monster like this that you have?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-27, 05:53 PM
I was just thinking about this same thing after staring at my 'Shadow of the Colossus" poster in my unaircondiitoned room for several hours.

J.Gellert
2010-05-27, 06:00 PM
Opposed Climb vs Grapple check? :smalltongue:

Chrono22
2010-05-27, 06:04 PM
Just make it a touch attack (that provokes without improved grapple) w/climb checks when necessary. Holding onto a monster or climbing on it shouldn't offer any big mechanical advantages for the PCs, so why not let them.
I think, you just need to make it clear to the PCs that grappling an enemy and "riding" them aren't the same thing.

ninjaneer003
2010-05-27, 06:04 PM
You could just make Climb DC checks depanding on where on the monster they are an how hard the monster is trying to get them off. And it the monster's big enough then probably a check to even see if the monster feels him on his body climbing around.

Fax Celestis
2010-05-27, 06:15 PM
I did a variant on Grapple that includes this.

cupkeyk
2010-05-27, 11:28 PM
Isn't there a gnome or halfling Prc that does this? You can modify those rules. But I think it should require a feat. Maybe. Or at least the pc's geta penalty.

Jerthanis
2010-05-28, 12:04 AM
At first I thought I read the title of this thread as "Climbing into Monsters" and it reminded me of an idea I had for a PrC once who specialized in being swallowed whole.

It got the ability to create a type of sauce that would require a will save on the part of any creatures capable of swallowing whole to NOT immediately try to eat the character, and at later levels it would let the PC count as one size category lower when considering whether the PC could be swallowed or not (as the gravy would lubricate you). Also, it would get special options to inflict extra damage with small weapons while inside a creature, allowing you to use Power Attack, apply Sneak Attack automatically, and so forth.

It was a really silly idea.

Hendel
2010-05-28, 12:25 AM
In my last session, I threw a few huge and gargantuan monsters at the party. They're particularly daring, so they tried to jump onto the monsters' back and hack away at them. I wasn't really prepared, and had no clue regarding the rules for that. So I just asked for climb checks and judged it with that. Afterwards, I wasn't sure how to shake them off. I mean, there's having the monster roll over, but that'll likely kill them and some of the monsters can't do that.

So yeah... are there any set rules for this? Have any of you had this happen or done it yourself?

And just out of curiosity, and to make the topic more fun, are there any funny stories regarding riding a monster like this that you have?

I would think the opposed grapple checks would be the ticket. Try grappling the colossal dragon!!

As for a funny story that was along these lines. I was the DM and I put out a Gelatinous Cube that proceeded to engulf (ie considered grappled according to the MM) the dwarf paladin. Since the grapple rules do not specify anything about who started it after the grapple is initiated, the dwarf made his paralysis saves and proceeded to "pin" the Gelatinous Cube with a successful grapple check of his own. It took me a moment to get my head around this and finally to just move the game along I said, "okay you successfully pin the Gelatinous Cube, what next?"

When the player made sure I understood that he was not allowing the Gelatinous Cube to speak in the pin, we rolled around laughing before continuing play. Whether this tactic will work in the future or not, I am still not sure, but it was a fun and memorable experience.

Another_Poet
2010-05-28, 02:56 AM
I would definitely say that the monster can make a Grapple check each round, as a free action, to try to shake them loose. They can oppose with Ride instead of Grapple if they want.

Even if they win the grapple they have to make a Climb or Ride check too, whichever fits the situation.

DrGonzo
2010-05-28, 03:19 AM
I think there's a feat in Complete Warrior named Hammer and Piton that has something to do with hammering pitons into big creatures and the climbing them. Don't have acces to my books right now, but it's a weapon style feat.

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-28, 03:30 AM
I am no rule expert but I think Hendel is about right:
Depending on the size of creature, it would be opposing grapple or climbing vs grapple. Then you would have to decide if the creature is nimble enough to try to reach their own backs or if they only tries to shake them loose (or back into a cliff wall and press / scrape them off :smallamused:)

HunterOfJello
2010-05-28, 03:30 AM
Hammer and Piton Weapon Style Feat

Requires: Str 15, Climb 3 ranks

It lets you do repeated damage on a Large or bigger monster.

It's also featured in Dungeonscape. It's a weird feat overall.

Jair Barik
2010-05-28, 03:38 AM
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1235

something like this you mean?
yeah thats multiple grapple checks.