PDA

View Full Version : First time DM- Playing the backstory

Olfgar
2010-05-27, 06:33 PM
So im totaly ripping this off from Dragon Age, but, I was thinking to help get my players into their characters more, I will pretty much have them play an Origin story for each of their characters, so that instead of them just thinking of a backstory and writitng it down on paper, I will be letting experience it them selves, which will also help the other players know about each character better. Ill use their back sotry they created, but if they cant think of one on their own, ill just have them give me some information on the character that could help me help them build one that they would like, and then play it.

Im also debating, weather or not the other players would play as some of the NPC's in this story, and since there wont be a large group of players (im going to guess 6 at the most) they wouldnt have to be long play throughs either. Once they are all done with their Origin Story, it will lead into the main plot. Keep in mind this will be my first time DM'ing and i figured since the majority of them have played Dragon Age, they would appreciate this.

Enix18
2010-05-27, 06:57 PM
All I can say is, don't underestimate the time it takes to run encounters in D&D. Since you're a first-time DM, I imagine that you will have to spend some time looking things up, even if it's just finding where that certain modifier is on a monster's stat block. If these origin stories involve any sort of combat or detailed encountered, be prepared to spend a good deal of time on them.

The first solution to this is to allow other players to either play as NPCs involved in the story or intertwine their own backstories with another characters (as in, two or more players run a simultaneous origin story). However, you should ask the players if they are actually interested in this option rather than just springing it upon them.

The second solution is to run these origin stories some other time before your actual game. If it would be possible to meet with each of the players individually some time, this would be an optimal solution, though I know a lot of people don't have the time for something like that.

Balain
2010-05-27, 10:02 PM
Another solution would be to not worry if there will be combat, but through e-mail, just storytell the backgrounds.

Awkward Map
2010-05-27, 11:19 PM
Another solution would be to not worry if there will be combat, but through e-mail, just storytell the backgrounds.

I think doing the e-mail bit is a great suggestion. One player is absent from our group for two weeks and to keep him involved we are working out what he's doing away from the party. So far it's been very successful and he seems eager to play again. Similarly, working it out via email might get the players excited to get more into character when you sit down for the session.

valadil
2010-05-28, 01:15 AM
This is one of the best things you can do for your game. I used to do it, but gave it up due to time and schedule problems.

One suggestion. Don't run combat. It's just not worth it for individual players. They're trying to show you their backstory, not their fighting prowess. Break out the dice when the rest of the game starts.

Another_Poet
2010-05-28, 02:55 AM
As a player, I would love this - if it did not happen during our regular session time. I don't want to lose sweet, sweet D&D time to backstories.

I'd follow the advice of others, and either run it by email, run it without combat so that it's quick, run it solo with the players instead of together at the table, or something similar.

nedz
2010-05-28, 05:02 AM
I agree with the handwaving of backstory stuff, unless somethings a bit iffy.

Since your a new DM they may try to pull one over on you. :smallsmile:

If the're trying something on, run it one on one but stack the odds. You can, of course, just say no; but you only need to make it slightly unlikely and have them make enough rolls so that it doesn't happen.

Totally Guy
2010-05-28, 05:31 AM
Sounds awesome. They'll be proactive when thinking in backstory mode.

For added bonus try to get the backstory mode of thinking to continue into the game. Share all the information. Try to move seamlessly from the backstories to the campaign proper.

Ingus
2010-05-28, 05:51 AM
Playing backstory instead of just writing it is a very good idea of roleplaying. Just treasure all the suggestion already given.
Individually play backstory is officially a "split the party", so you can experience technical difficulties: if a particular backstory goes too far, other players might feel put aside. This is particularily true if someone tries to "go short" with his backstory and another one keep it long.
To avoid any risk you can:
- Play it individually, via e-mail, chat, forum, animal messenger and so on
- Play it individually in the character building session, if you plan to have one
- Play it in groups of two/three or more, trying to involve other players as NPC (not suggested).
- Play it all together, shifting from a backstory to another after a given time has passed. Try it only if you feel confident to be a good multitasking DM (or your kernell may crash :smalltongue:)

As a new DM (no offense, there) you'll probably lack the experience to create plots on the fly, combine them or shift between one/another. If you can play it before game sessions, do it.
You'll experience the feel of improvisation once you'll master DMing :smallamused:

Olfgar
2010-05-29, 11:22 PM
Thank you all for the advice ao far. Luckily i know all the players really well and none would try to pull one over on me (ive made it clear theyd deall with pun-pun http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER. )

And ive already spoken with a ouple of them and weve interwound a couple to each others backstories and a couple into the main plot. And luckily since were just about done with our current campaign im \a PC in, i still have time to come up with more ideas. And they all like the idea so far.