PDA

View Full Version : The Way of the Jedi

Mr. Wong Burger
2010-05-27, 06:56 PM
I need a bit of help from the GitP community.

In a few weeks I'll be DMing a very casual game for a bunch of guys that have very limited knowledge of DnD. Last year I exposed them to several easy encounters and basically created their core characters with their input as to how they wanted to perform in combat. It went decently for the most part, but I saw them getting confused with skills they didn't understand/use and feats they didn't understand/use.

What I'm hoping to do this year is combine something they are very familiar with (Star Wars) with a watered down DnD.

I've got several idea so far, but would like some input with regards to simplifying game-play (mainly combat) as well as incorporating Jedi-esq abilities. What I have so far:

Races: Half-Orc = Wookie. Halfling = Ewok. Gnome = whatever Yoda's race is. Human = Human. Elf = Twi'lek.

Weapons: Short Lightsaber = Short Sword. Normal Lightsaber = Longsword. Maybe an exotic Lightsaber? (Bastard Sword = something Lightsaber). Double Lightsaber (exotic also) = Double Bladed Sword.

Spells: This is where I'm the most lost. I've dealt mainly with melee characters when I've played so I don't know a lot of the core spells and their similarities to Jedi abilities. Also, how can I incorporate a limited amount of "Melee Focused" spells for melee Jedi?

Psionics: I've seriously considered simply using Psionic classes/powers so as to simplify martial characters getting spells and whatnot. I'm not sure if this would complicate the game more for these guys or not.

Ultimately I'd like to stay with Core classes/races/feats/spells. I feel this would simplify the game enough to make my life easier and allow those guys to have more fun. I'd also like to trim the fat by eliminating skills,racials, etc. they wouldn't use often or at all.

Also, I was considering tailoring the core classes to reflect Sith/Jedi "classes" (like from KOTOR). Examples include the Warrior representing the Jedi Guardian, the Barbarian representing the Sith Marauder, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kylarra
2010-05-27, 07:01 PM
Maybe you should consider playing Star Wars Saga Edition, rather than trying to juxtapose D&D into SW.

shadow_archmagi
2010-05-27, 07:02 PM
Yeah, it seems like it'd make a lot more sense to just use the actual star wars role playing game at this juncture.

Gnaeus
2010-05-27, 07:05 PM
SW Saga is good. The earlier star wars D20 is good.

Tome of Battle is GREAT for mimicing force powers. As far as I am concerned, Shadow Garotte should be called force choke. You can teleport around the battle (force jump), throw people around the battlefield (Telekinesis/force push) etc.

Mr. Wong Burger
2010-05-27, 07:05 PM
Holy hell, I didn't realize there was a Star Wars game like DnD out. This shows you how long I've been in the gaming community >.<

I'll definitely peruse some of that material before I go through all of this legwork. Thanks guys.

Mando Knight
2010-05-27, 07:16 PM
Holy hell, I didn't realize there was a Star Wars game like DnD out. This shows you how long I've been in the gaming community >.<

I'll definitely peruse some of that material before I go through all of this legwork. Thanks guys.

Well, good luck on getting SAGA material. After a two-three year run, Hasbro decided to let the license drop (at least WotC's part of it), so now a lot of the first books are out of print and after a last few printings, there won't be any new ones either. The Star Wars minis are also going out since they were part of the same license.

Mr. Wong Burger
2010-05-27, 07:27 PM
I found a preview of the first rulebook (from what I could discern) and it looks like I'm gonna have to re-learn another d20 game... I think I might just do some re-naming on a few feats/spells/classes/races while using the DnD rules and call it a day.

I've also considered mirroring KOTOR, but just on paper. I only plan on making these guys' characters level 6 or something and running a quick campaign with them, so I wouldn't need to document all the powers/feats/class abilities.

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 01:12 AM
Um, just so you know... Star Wars Saga is the paper version of KotOR. The game runs off the Saga system for characters, combat... You can even check the dice rolls themselves via one of the journal tabs. :smallwink:

Its not that bad, either. Very similar to DnD, in fact. I'd say it'd be easier to learn Saga than fully convert DnD... :smalltongue:

Dragonmuncher
2010-05-28, 01:37 AM
Yeah, another vote for SAGA. It's essentially... D&D 3.75e

It has a few concepts you'd see fleshed out later on in 4e (no iterative attacks, adding half your character level to stuff) but has a lot of the regular d20 stuff as well.

Also, the class balance is supposed to be pretty good, and in general, most people like it (although I've definitely seen posts by people who pine for the good ole days of the old editions)

DrGonzo
2010-05-28, 02:21 AM
It is balanced. And it's an easy to learn (when you're familiar with 3.5) system. It's hard to create a character who truly sucks. Only thing that is overpowered is Skill focus (use the force) at level one. Houserule it to level 6 or something and you'll be fine.

AstralFire
2010-05-28, 09:55 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6651498

You may find this of use.

Also check the link in my sig, it's a homebrew community project for SWSE.

Um, just so you know... Star Wars Saga is the paper version of KotOR. The game runs off the Saga system for characters, combat... You can even check the dice rolls themselves via one of the journal tabs. :smallwink:

Its not that bad, either. Very similar to DnD, in fact. I'd say it'd be easier to learn Saga than fully convert DnD... :smalltongue:

Not quite. KotOR was loosely based off of Star Wars d20 1e/RCR, with many significant changes. Star Wars Saga is the third and final version of the Star Wars d20 rules, albeit far better than its predecessors.

Mando Knight
2010-05-28, 10:00 AM

Well, RCR is closer to a paper version of KotOR. SAGA takes RCR, strips it down to its essentials, then puts it in a blender with d20 Future and hangs the accessories back on it afterward. And fixes up a bunch of its problems while it's at it.

LibraryOgre
2010-05-28, 12:06 PM
Look for the old d6 Star Wars. Fun and fast.