PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Monster]Pagebound Soul (PEACH. Need help with CR in particular.)

Drakevarg
2010-05-27, 07:25 PM
Whipped this fellow up in the process of planning a campaign. I realized that - at least in the books that I use - there was nothing that fit the theme of this concept at all. So, with a shrug, I hastily altered the mummy (since it was vaguely similiar but not quite appropriate) to suit my needs, then kept altering it until it stopped resembling a mummy.

This is what I got. Please tell me what you think, what the CR should be, and if there are monsters in any of the other books that are essentially the same concept.

PAGEBOUND SOUL (http://tootiredtomakename.deviantart.com/art/Eternal-Seer-Pagebound-Soul-165672482)
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 8d10 +20 (65 HP)
Speed: 30 ft.
Init: --
AC: 20 (+10 Natural)
T: 10
FF: 20
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Grapple Modifier: +13
Attack: Slam +13 (1d6 +10)
Space: 5 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate Book, Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Vulnerability to Fire, Spell Resistance 26, Construct Traits
Fort: +2
Ref: +2
Will: +4
STR: 24 (+7)
DEX: 10 (--)
CON: -- (--)
INT: 1 (-5)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 14 (+2)
Skills: Listen +9, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration
Environment: Any
Organization: Usually Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: N/A
Level Adjustment: --

The being before you at first resembles a mummy. A gaunt humanoid completely covered in parchment, a closer look reveals that its form is made entirely out of pages, covered in an incomprehensible scrawl. Two black pits where its eyes should be focus on you, and a hoarse voice commands you sternly; "GET. OUT."

Pagebound Souls are the remnant will of mad wizards obsessed with knowledge. When their power finally consumed them, what little was left could not be bear to be parted with its precious tomes. Pagebound Souls can usually be found wandering forgotten libraries, striking out at anyone who would dare enter their domain. While Pagebound Souls still retain some of their arcane potential, the faded memory of their own corruption limits them to spells well below their true potential. Pagebound Souls speak whatever languages they spoke in life, but their mindless state limits them to little more than demands that the intruder leave.

Animate Book (Sp): At will, a Pagebound Soul can animate any book within 100 ft. of itself as a free action. These books are controlled by the Pagebound Soul's own willpower, and it cannot animate more than eight books at any given time. If the Pagebound Soul is destroyed, any books it animated return to their mundane state instantly.
Spell-Like Abilities: 8/Day -- Daze (Will DC 13, 1 Round), Detect Magic, Flare (Fort DC 13, 1 Min), Light (80 Min), Ghost Sound (Will DC 13, 8 Rounds), Resistance (1 Min); 6/Day -- Mage Armor (8 Hours), Magic Missle (3 Missiles, 1d4 +1), Shocking Grasp (5d6), Cause Fear (Will DC 14, 1d4 Rounds), Color Spray (Will DC 14), Sleep (Will DC 14, 8 Min); 6/Day -- Touch of Idiocy (80 Min), Blindness/Deafness (Fort DC 15), Scare (Will DC 15, 8 Rounds); 3/Day -- Empowered Shocking Grasp (5d6 x1.5)

PAGEBOUND SOUL, GREATER, 5th Level Wizard
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 8d10 +20 +5d4 (75 HP)
Init: --
AC: 20 (+10 Natural)
T: 10
FF: 20
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Grapple Modifier: +15
Attack: Slam +15 (1d6 +10)
Space: 5 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate Book, Spell-Like Abilities, Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Vulnerability to Fire, Spell Resistance 26, Construct Traits
Fort: +3
Ref: +3
Will: +8
STR: 24 (+7)
DEX: 10 (--)
CON: -- (--)
INT: 20 (+5)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 14 (+2)
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +24, Knowledge (History) +24, Knowledge (The Planes) +24, Listen +18, Spot +18, Search +21, Decipher Script +21
Feats: Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Skill Focus (Knowledge (Arcana)), Skill Focus (Knowledge (History)), Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Knowledge (The Planes))
Challenge Rating: 10
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: By Class Level
Level Adjustment: ??

The being before you at first resembles a mummy. A gaunt humanoid completely covered in parchment, a closer look reveals that its form is made entirely out of pages, covered in an incomprehensible scrawl. It is garbed in ancient robes of an ornate style, hinting at former status. A crackle of electricity sparks from its empty eye sockets as they focus on you. "You are not welcome here." It utters in a commanding voice.

Pagebound Souls are the remnant will of mad wizards obsessed with knowledge. When their power finally consumed them, what little was left could not be bear to be parted with its precious tomes. Pagebound Souls can usually be found wandering forgotten libraries.

As Pagebound Souls age, their incessant thirst for knowledge allows some of them to regain their former intellect. Their souls long gone, what was left of their will forms a new one out of raw arcane power, only their desire to learn remaining of their old selves. No longer driven by an instinctual urge to protect their libraries, they still scorn visitors, but are always open to trading knowledge for knowledge. No longer held back by their instinctual delusion that they are still as succeptable to the Rifts as mortals, they have no reservations against using more powerful magics.

Greater Pagebound Souls often speak a wide variety of languages.

Animate Book (Sp): At will, a Greater Pagebound Soul can animate any book within 100 ft. of itself as a free action. These books are controlled by the Greater Pagebound Soul's own willpower, and it cannot animate more than thirteen books at any given time. If the Pagebound Soul is destroyed, any books it animated return to their mundane state instantly.
Spell-Like Abilities: 8/Day -- Daze (Will DC 15, 1 Round), Detect Magic, Flare (Fort DC 15, 1 Min), Light (130 Min), Ghost Sound (Will DC 15, 13 Rounds), Resistance (1 Min); 6/Day -- Mage Armor (13 Hours), Magic Missle (5 Missiles, 1d4 +1), Shocking Grasp (5d6), Cause Fear (Will DC 16, 1d4 Rounds), Color Spray (Will DC 16), Sleep (Will DC 16, 13 Min); 6/Day -- Touch of Idiocy (130 Min), Blindness/Deafness (Fort DC 17), Scare (Will DC 17, 13 Rounds)
Typical Wizard Spells Prepared (4/3/2/1; Save DC 15 + Spell Level): 0 -- Read Magic (2), Arcane Mark (2); 1st -- Identify, Nystul's Magic Aura, Erase; 2nd -- Detect Thoughts, See Invisibility; 3rd -- Explosive Runes

Hyooz
2010-05-27, 07:56 PM
What does an animated book do for it, exactly?

Drakevarg
2010-05-27, 10:01 PM
What does an animated book do for it, exactly?

Help beat the snot out of the intruder.

Drakevarg
2010-05-27, 11:11 PM
How does CR 4 sound?

Also, suggestions for any other good abilites I could give it are welcome.

sigurd
2010-05-28, 10:53 AM
Does the Pagebound instinctively know of any books carried by the party?

The ability is a little lame unless there is more of a hook to it. Perhaps if they could grab the wizard's spellbook and use the link to throw him around the room...?

Sigurd

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 11:58 AM
I don't think you'd be able to do that anyway. The animated books function as if they were created with animate object, and I doubt a Tiny-sized Construct could throw a Medium creature around the room (without one hell of a STR stat, that is).

And I'm debating between it being an instinctive thing or requiring line of sight. Being able to know of any books the party has might be a bit much. What if the wizard's spellbook gets destroyed in the battle? He's got it bad enough with the Riftspawn to worry about, now he's got no spells period.

Then again, Pagebound Souls do tend to hang out in wizard's libraries, so I suppose the wizard could just find himself a new one afterwards, with an entirely different spell list.

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 12:34 PM
Then again, Pagebound Souls do tend to hang out in wizard's libraries, so I suppose the wizard could just find himself a new one afterwards, with an entirely different spell list.
Until and unless he transcribes it into his own notation, that requires a spellcraft check to successful prepare EACH spell.

There was a template much like this (but intelligent and etc.) was an auxiliary thing to an awakened spellbook... let me see if I can find a link...
EDIT: Here we are http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=50196
I addition to the original post I also recommend find the post near the end that discusses an alternate origin for Grimeories(sp).

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 12:40 PM
Until and unless he transcribes it into his own notation, that requires a spellcraft check to successful prepare EACH spell.

Well, I'm sure he'd be quick to remedy that after he realized the extra hurdle to successful spellcasting existed. Aren't likely to be many blank books in a library, but almost all mages in this setting are members of a guild, so getting a new blank one should be easy.

There was a template much like this (but intelligent and etc.) was an auxiliary thing to an awakened spellbook... let me see if I can find a link...
EDIT: Here we are http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=50196

Unless there's another stat block hidden in that thread (I only read the first post), this looks more like something that would hang out near the Pagebound Soul, but it's conceptually quite different.

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 01:14 PM
Not a stat block. A template. Papyr-crafted.

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 01:25 PM
Not a stat block. A template. Papyr-crafted.

*reads again*

Ah, I see. So in other words, it's basically an "In Soviet Russia" version of my creature, only more powerful.

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 02:02 PM
*reads again*

Ah, I see. So in other words, it's basically an "In Soviet Russia" version of my creature, only more powerful.
Depends on what level of wizard you apply the Papyr-craft template to... Your version also has more hp and STR than a papyrcrafted of equal casting ability.

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 02:09 PM
Depends on what level of wizard you apply the Papyr-craft template to... Your version also has more hp and STR than a papyrcrafted of equal casting ability.

Well, it's a Construct, so d10s were the rule. It has 8 HD and 24 STR because it was based on the mummy, and it's spellcasting was determined via some insane, inconsistant algorithim made up in the back of my head. It can't do anything beyond 2nd level spells because since it's soul used to be that of a wizard's, it doesn't want to risk getting eaten by Cthulhu. (Of course, being an arcane entity like the Riftspawn, it can't trigger Rifts anyway. But it doesn't know that and doesn't have the mental capacity to figure it out.)

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 02:34 PM
I certainly wasn't faulting your creation, merely fine tuning your analysis. A papyr-crafted 8th level wizard is probably a much stronger caster than this now that you mention the 2nd level limit (I didn't read your spell list as carefully as I might have).

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 02:37 PM
I certainly wasn't faulting your creation, merely fine tuning your analysis. A papyr-crafted 8th level wizard is probably a much stronger caster than this now that you mention the 2nd level limit (I didn't read your spell list as carefully as I might have).

Didn't think you were; was just elaborating on my reasoning behind each design decision.

But, more to the point; what would be an appropriate CR for this thing? I mostly just guessed CR 4 because it lacks a mummy's Mummy Rot, but that doesn't take spellcasting into consideration.

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 02:48 PM
Just based on the casting it is better than a 4th level Sorcerer technically.

Mummies don't have huge honkin' SR.

At first glance, I am seeing CR 5 here, due to mindlessness, but I could be way off.

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 02:54 PM
Just based on the casting it is better than a 4th level Sorcerer technically.

Prolly. I think the insane logic was as follows:

Level 0 Spells-
At Will, with number of different spells equal to an 8th Level Wizard's Level 0 Spells/Day

Level 1 Spells-
Number of times per day equal to number of Level 1 Spells an 8th Level Wizard with 17 INT (DMG Standard) gets per day. (5.) Number of different spells equal to number of Level 1 Spells the spellbook of a Wizard with 17 INT starts with.

Level 2 Spells-
Number of times per day equal to number of Level 2 Spells an 8th Level Wizard with 17 INT gets per day. (4.) Same with number of different spells.

No, it isn't very consistant, but I'm not used to dealing with Spell-Like Abilities.

Mummies don't have huge honkin' SR.

Mummies are also not made out of spellbooks.

Formula was 10 + (HD x2).

At first glance, I am seeing CR 5 here, due to mindlessness, but I could be way off.

We'll go with that for now.

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 03:28 PM
Your methods of arriving at the spells and SR are perfectly fine. You justified them from a fluff perspective, which I both accept and never was considering. It seems to me like you worry too much.

My discussion was on how the critter should be CRed based on comparing it to a mummy, and the last arcane class to get each spell level (since it definitely had quantity over quality).

Side note on your setting before I forget: It is possible (or should be) to simply prepare lower level spells in higher level slots without any metamagic being involved. I think that for purposes of the danger involved that this practice should be encouraged to an extent by allowing the spell to count as the spells actual level rather than the slot it is prepared in. This will give casters more longevity and gives another option (always good when going for a tactically rich game).

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 03:39 PM
Your methods of arriving at the spells and SR are perfectly fine. You justified them from a fluff perspective, which I both accept and never was considering. It seems to me like you worry too much.

Explaination, not justification. Same result, but the latter implies some sort of guilt. I'm not so much worried about how I'm doing it wrong as much as I'm interested if there's a way I could do it better.

Side note on your setting before I forget: It is possible (or should be) to simply prepare lower level spells in higher level slots without any metamagic being involved. I think that for purposes of the danger involved that this practice should be encouraged to an extent by allowing the spell to count as the spells actual level rather than the slot it is prepared in. This will give casters more longevity and gives another option (always good when going for a tactically rich game).

This is already the case. In terms of how the logic would work in-game, if you can stuff X ammount of power into spell slot Y, you can easily fit a smaller ammount of power into it by using spells that would normally go in spell slot Y-1. Sure, some of the space is wasted, but at least Cthulhu isn't as likely to eat you, since it's the ammount of power, not the slot the power goes into, that triggers the Rifts.

Also, what would you guess is the life expectancy of an Elf Rogue, Elf Wizard, Half-Elf Ranger, and Human Fighter, all Level 1, against this? They haven't rolled yet, so a ballpark estimate is really all I need. I'll probably need to nerf it a bit if it would inevitably end with more than one member of the party dead. Don't wanna kill more than half the party in any given encounter unless they're really stupid about it.

Debihuman
2010-05-28, 04:39 PM
If you are going to give it spells at will, it really should be an Intelligent construct. I think it should have Intelligence, skills and feats. Otherwise, how will it know when to use those abilities? It has to be instructed in what to do.

For an 8 HD monster, it seems to have an over-abundance of spell-like abilities. I think you may have gone a bit overboard on its spell selection. What is the Caster level? Not that you can't vary this but 4/day and 5/day are probably excessive for 8 hd monster.

Debby

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 04:47 PM
If you are going to give it spells at will, it really should be an Intelligent construct. I think it should have Intelligence, skills and feats. Otherwise, how will it know when to use those abilities? It has to be instructed in what to do.

Perhaps simply giving it 1 or 2 INT would be more appropriate then. It runs entirely on instinct. It's impossible to give it commands of any sort. (Constructs being immune to mind-affecting abilities, and Pagebound Souls having no masters).

For an 8 HD monster, it seems to have an over-abundance of spell-like abilities. I think you may have gone a bit overboard on its spell selection. What is the Caster level? Not that you can't vary this but 4/day and 5/day are probably excessive for 8 hd monster.

It has a large number of spell-like abilities because it's made out of spellbooks, and it's powered by the lingering force of will of an 8th level wizard. I suppose I could simply say it casts spells as an 8th level sorcerer, but can't cast spells higher than 2nd level...

TheLash
2010-05-28, 06:52 PM
I think it would be neat to see a greater version of this. With something so obsessed with knowledge I would imagen it would "trade" or offer something else to PC's for any scrap of information it deems relevant.

Drakevarg
2010-05-28, 07:50 PM
I think it would be neat to see a greater version of this. With something so obsessed with knowledge I would imagen it would "trade" or offer something else to PC's for any scrap of information it deems relevant.

Good idea! *promptly makes one*

Altered the Spell-Like Abilities for both of 'em, as well. And made the lesser version intelligent but not sapient.

Also, were I to go insane and allow a player to have "Greater Pagebound Soul" as their race (not as unlikely as it sounds, and thats WITH taking my name into consideration), what would its LA be?

Drakevarg
2010-05-29, 01:07 AM
Added a picture, which also includes the other critter I homebrewed today.

Debihuman
2010-05-29, 08:44 AM
It's looking a bit better. 8 HD monsters get 3 feats, so it needs another feat. I recommend Empower Spell-like Ability because that's it's main strength.

It's Initiative is +0 not —. It still has an initiative based on Dex.

edit-- I forgot about single attacks doing 1.5 damage.

With an Int of 1 it should have 11 skill points. I can't tell how many ranks you put into each skill. Search is Intelligence based so it almost makes no sense to give it Search as a skill since it has a -5 modifier on it. Of course, if you raise its Intelligence, that would be an improvement.

Cleaned up the stat block a bit...
[PAGEBOUND SOUL
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 8d10+20 (65 hp)
Initiative: +0
Armor Class: 20 (+10 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 20
BAB/Grapple: +6/+13
Attack: Slam +13 melee (1d6 +10)
Full Attack: Slam +13 melee (1d6+10)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate Book, Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Spell Resistance 26, Vulnerability to Fire
Saves: Fort: +2, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 24 (+7), Dex 10 (+0), Con —, Int 1 (-5), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2)
Skills: Listen +6, Search +2, Spot +6,
Feats: Alertness, Empower Spell-like Ability, Spell Penetration
Challenge Rating: 5
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Debby

Siosilvar
2010-05-29, 09:15 AM
It should only do damage based on Str (1d6+7).

Almost all monsters with one and only one natural attack use 1.5x Strength modifier to damage.

Drakevarg
2010-05-29, 11:41 AM
It's looking a bit better. 8 HD monsters get 3 feats, so it needs another feat. I recommend Empower Spell-like Ability because that's it's main strength.

Ah, right. I forgot entirely about the MM Feats...

Empowered Shocking Grasp it is. Though Greater Spell Penetration could work as well. Especially since a potential 45 damage off of a touch attack is a bit much for my party.

Hm... Empowered Shocking Grasp it isn't.

It's Initiative is +0 not —. It still has an initiative based on Dex.

Functionally, it's the same. "--" is how I personally notate "+0" on my work.

It should only do damage based on Str (1d6+7).

It's equivalent to a two-handed weapon, ergo STR x1.5.

With an Int of 1 it should have 11 skill points. I can't tell how many ranks you put into each skill. Search is Intelligence based so it almost makes no sense to give it Search as a skill since it has a -5 modifier on it. Of course, if you raise its Intelligence, that would be an improvement.

It has 2 Ranks in Spot (+2 WIS +2 Alertness = 6), 2 Ranks in Listen (+2 WIS +2 Alertness = 6), and 7 Ranks in Search (-5 INT =2). Given that it's main job is patroling its library, a Search check makes sense, no?

On the other hand, it is crippling its Spot and Listen checks... fine. Offing Search.

Debihuman
2010-05-30, 04:19 AM
I totally forgot about single attacks doing 1.5 damage.... sorry about that. I've fixed my earlier post.

Debby

DracoDei
2010-05-30, 08:29 AM
Use that feat slot for Skill Focus(Search)? Might kill two birds with one stone.

Drakevarg
2010-05-30, 11:46 AM
Eh, I got rid of Seach outright. It was just crippling its Listen and Spot checks.