PDA

View Full Version : For The 407th Time... Online Mapmaker?

Deth Muncher
2010-05-27, 11:00 PM
Hey, so I realize this has been asked as many times as why wizards>fighters, or why monks don't suck, but I'm looking for an online mapmaking tool. Specifically fabricating my own, not a random generator. IDEALLY, said program/tool would have the ability to store multiple maps at once, so if I were to, say, click on a stairway, I'd be able to go to wherever that map leads. However, I doubt such a program exists. Regardless, I'd like one that I can use to generate anything from town-sized to room. Printer capability is an added bonus, but not required.

And before you go "Here, let me Google that for you," I cam here after Googling but realized that I wanted something rather specific, and I'm not sure a simple boolean search phrase would locate it.

senrath
2010-05-27, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Maptools would work for what you want. You can find it here (rptools.net).

Glyde
2010-05-27, 11:08 PM
Yep, maptool can accomplish that. You can even put 'goto' macros in staircases or info bubbles and the like to move your camera around. It's a great method.

I've once projected maptool onto my bigscreen TV for a session. That worked *really* well. Make sure you have an additional PC or laptop nearby though to be the 'DM' or else all the naughty bits will be on the TV

Deth Muncher
2010-05-27, 11:28 PM
I've once projected maptool onto my bigscreen TV for a session. That worked *really* well. Make sure you have an additional PC or laptop nearby though to be the 'DM' or else all the naughty bits will be on the TV

I had kind of thought what I'd do is have my laptop have the map on it for my personal use, and then draw up the maps as they're needed. However, I DO have a PC/TV cable, so I could project the maps like that once I get settled into my apartment.

EDIT @ Sen: Thanks for the link!

Jokes
2010-05-27, 11:35 PM

You can do it with just one laptop. You have two maptool windows running at once and you can connect the two in the Connect to server->Lan window. Then extend your desktop so the players window is on the tv and the other stays on the laptop.

Glyde
2010-05-27, 11:43 PM
You can do it with just one laptop. You have two maptool windows running at once and you can connect the two in the Connect to server->Lan window. Then extend your desktop so the players window is on the tv and the other stays on the laptop.

I thought of that right after I posted, but forgot about it as I was loading. Yeah, that. Much more cost effective. Just make sure your laptop isn't a steam-powered box like mine and can handle two instances of maptool without slowing to a crawl