PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Spell Metamagic Feat

draco_nite
2010-05-27, 11:18 PM
Backwards Spell [Metamagic]
Requirements: None
You recite the spell backwards, enabling it only to function as a counterspell. However, a backwards spell may use a spell slot of up to two levels lower.

Thoughts?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-05-28, 12:09 AM
This has more potential than just a means of cheap counterspelling. Outside of its intended use, Reserve feats function as if prepped with a spell of two levels higher than your maximum, up to 9th level when combined with Heighten.

Grab a better means of feeding spell slots into something big and hungry and you have more potential. Combine with Echo Spell and a Spellthief has an effective limitless amount of spells available. This is just the tip of the iceberg, too.

BLiZme.2
2010-05-28, 12:26 PM
@Thrice Dead Cat the solution to that is to make the spell count as a spell of its slots level but still count as the other spell (also as being two levels higher than its slot for the purposes of improved counter spell)

Eurus
2010-05-28, 01:40 PM
So it would be heightened -2 levels, essentially, but be considered its normal level for counterspelling. Eh, I personally still doubt it would ever see use (for its intended function, at least. I'm sure someone else will come up with a use for it, possibly for early entry to prestige classes that require you to be able to cast a specific spell).

Well, that's not entirely true - a counter-focused sorcerer with a way to avoid the extra casting time for metamagic feats, plus Heighten Spell, this feat, and Improved Counterspell could make use of it. But I can't imagine a prepared caster ever using it, and it's useless for any spontaneous caster who doesn't have a way to avoid the extra casting time on metamagicked spells.