PDA

View Full Version : ToB: Pre-req question

acid_ninja
2010-05-28, 05:06 AM
Do stances count as 'manuevers known' for getting higher level manuvers?

If I have counter charge and step of the wind does that fulfill the 'Two Setting Sun Manuvers' pre-req for mirrored pursuit?

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-28, 05:16 AM
Do stances count as 'manuevers known' for getting higher level manuvers?

Yes, they do.

PId6
2010-05-28, 05:36 AM
To elaborate: yes, yes they do.

Draz74
2010-05-28, 11:01 AM
This is one of the few times that stances do count as maneuvers, yes.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-28, 11:15 AM
Hey while we're on the subject, on the levels of initiator base classes where you trade out an old manuever for a new one, those can be stances too right?

Keld Denar
2010-05-28, 11:17 AM
No. Stances can never be traded, nor traded for.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-28, 11:18 AM
This is one of the few times that stances do count as maneuvers, yes.

...What?

Stances are maneuvers.

They're not strikes, boosts or counters, but they're still maneuvers.

Greenish
2010-05-28, 11:21 AM
This is one of the few times that stances do count as maneuvers, yes.To riff on Yuki:

Stance: A stance is a special type of maneuver. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=1)

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-28, 11:24 AM
To riff on Yuki:

Stance: A stance is a special type of maneuver. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=1)

*high five*

Greenish
2010-05-28, 11:25 AM
*high five*I only have three fingers. :smallfrown:

Draz74
2010-05-28, 11:36 AM
...What?

Stances are maneuvers.

Yes, they are, but the frequency that you have to treat them as something different exceeds the frequency that you can treat them as maneuvers. Vastly, in my experience.

The most dramatic example being the one that already came up in this thread -- that stances can't be swapped in or out.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-28, 11:39 AM
Hmm... actually, what if we ditched that whole thing, and just treated Stances as another type of Maneuver? Roll the Stances column into the Maneuvers Known, and let players pick them as normal. I mean, you can only have one at a time, and switching means no boosts/counters, so you're better off not getting too many anyway, and it reduces a lot of the awkwardness in the tables, what with the Devoted Spirit capstone being impossible to get and such.

This seems like a good plan to me. What do others think?

balistafreak
2010-05-28, 11:54 AM
I only have three fingers. :smallfrown:

Three fingered hand(s) or three fingers total?

One is unusual, and the other is plain sad.

Greenish
2010-05-28, 11:56 AM
Three fingered hand(s) or three fingers total?

One is unusual, and the other is plain sad.Three fingers in the other hand, and (it seems) two fingers and a cutlass on the other. :smallcool:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-28, 03:56 PM

I'm fairly sure the point of splitting them up isn't to prevent you from getting too many stances, but rather too few. If you could just sit in 1 or 2 tradeable stances all the time and have 3-4 extra maneuvers known at various levels, rather than having the normal progression, you could pick up some of the better high-level boosts and strikes while not having lower-level stances take up maneuvers known slots.

This isn't to say it's a bad idea to roll them together--it isn't--just that there's more to think about than "players won't screw themselves by taking too many stances" before changing it.

Draz74
2010-05-28, 04:45 PM
Hmm... actually, what if we ditched that whole thing, and just treated Stances as another type of Maneuver? Roll the Stances column into the Maneuvers Known, and let players pick them as normal. I mean, you can only have one at a time, and switching means no boosts/counters, so you're better off not getting too many anyway, and it reduces a lot of the awkwardness in the tables, what with the Devoted Spirit capstone being impossible to get and such.

Hmmm, interesting. Well, on first glance, I don't have any major objections ... but I'm sure I'll come up with something. :smallwink:

Runestar
2010-05-28, 05:35 PM
...What?

Stances are maneuvers.

They merely count as maneuvers for very specific scenarios.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-28, 05:51 PM
They merely count as maneuvers for very specific scenarios.

...Except no, they are maneuvers and are just ignored in some very specific circumstances?