PDA

View Full Version : Grabbing a whip (3.5)

Balor01
2010-05-28, 05:56 AM
Could someone please explain how mechanicly-wise works the following:
Character A(medium size) has a whip and intends to hit character B (medium size, they are 10 feet apart). A swings the whip and attempts to hit, but character B attempts to grab it and perhaps trip character A or snap the whip.
I'd say it goes app. like this:
character a: to hit: base att+str+whip bonus vs characters' B AC,
but I am not sure how would B attempt to grab or break the whip.
Strenght checks can be made regarding dragging here and there.
Say character B wins the stranght check - can it deal dmg to char. A? Unarmed? Armed even maybe, like grabbing the whip with one arm, tripping and dragging the opponent toward himself and swinging away with a weapon in other hand?

Runestar
2010-05-28, 06:10 AM
Ruleswise, this is only possible if A tries to trip B with the whip and B wins the opposed trip check, forcing A to let go of the whip to avoid being tripped himself.

Otherwise, disarm will not work, since A is out of reach.

hewhosaysfish
2010-05-28, 06:16 AM
Sounds to me like B has a readied action to disarm.

For the tripping option, that's only really possible if A is actually trying to trip B in the first place (which you can do with a whip). If the trip attempt were to fail, B could then reactively attempt to trip A in response (although A could opt so simply drop the whip to avoid this).

B damaging A? I'm not sure there's anything in the rules for that because I'm not sure what it's trying to represent... B pulls the whip away from A and it hurts A's hand? B pulls the whip away from A and hits him with it? B pulls the whip away from A and throws a rock at him?

holywhippet
2010-05-28, 06:23 AM
This sounds kind of similar to the snatch arrow feat - it's just with a reach weapon instead of a ranged weapon. I'd take this as an indicator that you should need a feat or two to even attempt that kind of trick since an incoming whip strike will be moving very fast.

Even if you don't require feats, it would still be a reflex save type thing. Possibly B would need to allow the whip to hit them, but make a save to have it entangled up on their arm letting them break it/pull on it.

onthetown
2010-05-28, 06:59 AM
I think Character B would take some damage, especially if Character A is snapping it at him in an attempt to harm him. It would cut his hand if he didn't have good gloves or caught it the wrong way, so maybe 1d4 damage or something?

Sounds like it would be a feat along the same lines as snatch arrows, as mentioned above.

Quietus
2010-05-28, 07:42 AM
I'd allow a readied action to attempt to disarm a reach weapon from the square it reaches, as opposed to taking it from the person attacking, but the attacker (A, in this case) still gets to deal their damage. Trying to grab a whip as it's being cracked at you/glaive-guisarme-spear as it's being used to hurt you.. is dangerous. So B is taking the attack against their AC normally, but giving up his actions in the round to also attempt to grab the weapon and disarm it. I could also see allowing a trip attempt from this.

Key things of note - this is decidedly a houserule. Also, I would only allow it to be done if the individual has enough free hands to weild the weapon they're trying to disarm. The attack they readied against would be counted as the AoO they would normally take for disarming ('cause it's stupid to think about how that whip cracks TWICE in that time), and I would allow the use of a feat - possibly counting improved disarm/trip to do this for the appropriate attacks - to negate the attack they're taking, since it's essentially the AoO they would normally trigger.

Balor01
2010-05-28, 08:10 AM
Thing was suppose to look like this:
A swings the whip, B catches the whip and pulls it out of A's hands.

or

A swings the whip, B catches the whip and pulls it swiftly, so A drops to the ground.

or

A swings the whip, B catches the whip and snaps it.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-28, 09:54 AM
i dont know how it works but i've seen it done in movies. . .

Character B lets whip hit arm and warp around arm, Character b them yanks on whip and surprised character a eats dirt cause they werent expecing to suddenly have the whip yanked forward.

looks cool in movies. . .and everything capable of being done in movies for our amusment should also have a dynamic in dnd. . . somehwere. . . :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-05-28, 10:04 AM
Whip Strip
Fighter Attack 9
Encounter, Martial
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: A creature attempts to attack you with a whip.
Target: The creature attacking you
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: Negate the results of the attack, and the creature is disarmed (save ends).

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-28, 10:11 AM
Whip Strip
Fighter Attack 9
Encounter, Martial
Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: A creature attempts to attack you with a whip.
Target: The creature attacking you
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: Negate the results of the attack, and the creature is disarmed (save ends).Nice, but too narrow and situational, whip can be expanded to all reach weapons, and should be probably STR vs. Reflex (what does wearing plate armor has to do with letting go or not letting go of a whip?)