PDA

View Full Version : NeverEndingDungeon - Nifhel (TheFallenOne)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 11:35 AM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=205693)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 11:50 AM
Lightning conditions? Do I need my Sundark Goggles to avoid penalties because of bright light?

I start wielding shield in off hand, weapon in mouth, pole in right hand.
Before entering a square, I will poke it with the pole and search it three times(take 20 would take too long).
I will search doors, chests and anything unusual with take 20

Search rolls, will only be relevant if there is something to find

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]
[roll30]
[roll31]
[roll32]
[roll33]
[roll34]
[roll35]

I will constantly hide and move silently, taking 10 for result of 14

The drills allow me to make a 1x1 inch hole into any surface with hardness of 10 or lower as a full round action. Each drill has 10 uses.
After searching the door with take 20, I drop the pole, drill a hole into the door and peek through it

edit: misstyped hide and move silently

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 11:55 AM
Okiedokie, well, in that case you find totally nothing in the room and for now no problem with light, the only lightsource is the torch. But even though you don't need them now, they are always good to have.

By the way searching is always relevant, since you won't now if there's something to find.

You find nothing on the door and nothing in the room, except for the torch.

(can you tell me what the spinning sword is I do not have the book it's from)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 11:58 AM
1 handed reach weapon, stats are given on the sheet

no looking please, prepatory writeup
Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff

"Ah, yes, Ravens Bluff... A wonderful city for all kinds of trade and assorted other businesses, isn't it?" Dar Al Asam raised his glass to you with a wide grin beneath his flamboyant red mustache, narrowly avoiding to spill his wine when another wave rocked the boat back and forth. The journey on his 'Arianna' down the Dragon Reach has been rough, the early autumn storms stronger than usual, but you were past the dangerous waters, due to reach your destination before sunrise. So the Cali****e captain invited you to celebrate before you part ways with a feast and choice wine - a generosity he could easily afford since you had to pay double, most other ships staying in the harbors instead of braving the wild waters.
"But I guess it is your first visit? I understand you coming here - plenty of opportunity to find work, but also easy to get into trouble by taking a wrong step - ever since the end of the war the city has been different."
He paused a moment, pondering these words. "Well, not that I'm complaining, ever since mayor Charles O'Kane's power became mostly representative, the Merchant Assembly has been on the rise, and by now their only rival to control of the city is the Noble Council. That powershift has been good for trade, and what's good for trade is good for me.
By the way, did you know that Embro Ambrath, head of one of the big merchant houses, recently bought himself the title of a lord? No? Guess how much he paid. Two million. Two million gold. I tell you, the nobles aren't happy about a glorified tailor having a seat on their Council - best don't say it that way though... well, anywhere. Even the walls have ears, and news travels fast in this city.
But well, enough politics. You want my advice - never get into that power struggle. Easy to make enemies, hard to make friends who won't sell you out in a heartbeat for minimal gain.
Know where some money is to make? Not easy money, mind you, otherwise it would long been gone. Sarbreen, capital of some Dwarven kingdom that was overthrown by orcs hundreds of years ago. They built Ravens Bluff right on top of it - pre-made sewers, economic choice! There's still lots of treasure down there. The first level has been stripped clean long ago I hear, but in the lower parts there's still a lot to find if you can brave decrepit corridors and whatever ugly things roam there. I'll make you a good price on any artifacts you find." His advice seemed more mercantile than altruistic; earlier he boasted that such items had the highest profit margins of everything he ships. Maybe he was just looking for some fools who risk their lifes so he can make easy money...
As you slowly reflect on this thought, you feel your eyelids getting heavy, and his voice now barely reaches your ears, seeming to come from far far away. "... So really, look into it...
Ah, I see it is finally working. Sorry, nothing personal, just business. I told you not to get into the cities politics, pity no one gave you this warning before it was too late..."
What was he talking about? As you slowly drift to sleep, you're left wondering how you seem to have unkowingly run afoul some influential enemy without even being in the city yet...

I'm a PC and what is this?

Greetings fellow playgrounders. This is a D&D campaign in the (heavily modified) city of Ravens Bluff, designed by me to be a Sandbox for you to play in. I've been playing in the same setting with my RL group for a while and now I'm adapting it for PbP.
There is no railroad you have to ride along. No Big Bad.
Or maybe there are multiple contenders for that title and which one takes the cake so to speak depends on your actions and inactions?

You want to go down to Sarbreen? You can do that. Or you can look if any of the guilds, Merchant Houses or noble families pay for what you can offer - be it muscle, brains or stealth. Or maybe you're an ambitious thief who wants to fill be vacuum left behind when all members of the Four Ravens, the cities former Thieves Guild, were publicly beheaded decades ago...

Game-style is very much nonlinear after the introduction(this part with Dar Al Asam capturing you is the only bit of railroading I intend to make happen. It serves to set up the Prologue and bring the PCs into a situation where they need to work together). You can act independently in the city, doing different things or approaching the same problem from different angles, but there are also quests you need to tackle as a party to solve them.

So... Quests?
There is a huge number of quests you can tackle - provided you find them. These can be everything from a big subplot that crops up again multiple times to a single conversation to reassure a paladin who questions his calling because of recent events(the latter was caused by another PCs actions no less).

How you try to solve them is up to you. I've long ago given up on trying to predict the solutions my players come up with. I give you the situation, you give me your actions, I figure out the consequences.

Starting Quest

Every character has an introductory quest. These can be straightforward(looking for the murderer of your family) to unusual(looking for a Dwarven clan believed lost after weapons with their mark recently surfaced) to totally out of left field('Wait, before I escaped that Zentharim base a psionic spy implanted a message in my mind he couldn't deliver himself and that's the reason for my blackouts?'). You can give me the hook yourself, or maybe it's something your character doesn't know about and I'll surprise you...
These will be things you can't tackle on your own, giving you an initial reason to work as a group instead of going separate ways.

The 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Game plays in and around the city of Ravens Bluff, though heavily adjusted from canon, in the Forgotten Realms.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
Five players, 2 alternates in case a player drops out.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
Right here in this forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
You start at third level with 5000 XP, meaning you'll reach fourth right or shortly after the prologue.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
5000 GP.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Homebrew: ONLY if it is absolutely essential for the character you have in mind. If you can build something with the same fluff/mechanics using official material, you gotta use that.
Prestige classes are appreciated, though I do frown upon prestige class dips. If you want an entry level 6 PrC you'll have enough time to roleplay towards it. This isn't obligatory, but maybe more interesting for you instead of simply taking the level.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Homebrew as above. Let me stress it needs to be really interesting and well-written for me to seriously consider it. Any published race is fine. LA buyoff isn't used.
Templates - maybe. Dragonborn? Sure. Mineral Warrior or Lloth-Touched? No. Others? Tell me why it makes your character more interesting.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
34 Point Buy. You have the option of using 32 instead and get a bonus feat in exchange.
Max HP first three levels, 3/4 for later levels.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Use any alignment you want. Evil is OK, long as it's not Stupid Evil and you cause mayhem just because.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
No multiclass penalties, mix and match as you like.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Use the forum dice roller for your rolls, I'll do as well. I'll also do rolls you won't know the meaning of, like perception or Sense Motive.
I'm also very fond of a d100 Luck Roll.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
We'll go with RAW, unless it violates Common Sense in an unacceptable way.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Give me enough to make the character more interesting than his pure crunch. I'll also need a motivation for you to come to Ravens Bluff. You'll come with a ship down the Dragon Reach. You can go aboard in Tantras or anywhere else before.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
There is plenty opportunity for Hack & Slash, and also for intrigue. You can get involved in this, or just sell your services to the highest bidder if you prefer Kill for Cash. This is a sandbox city, your decisions decide the nature of the game. So best YOU tell me what you expect and prefer so I can choose a party with matching interests.
There will be a lot of combat either way(this is D&D after all), but pure dungeon crawls will be something you need to deliberately go into. They're optional, in other words.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
All material published by WotC is allowed. Certain gamebreakers are banned. I won't try to make an exhaustive list, just one appeal: be reasonable. Make a character that's interesting, competent and preferably versatile(One Trick Ponies like uberchargers get rather boring soon) without being broken. If I see you trying to get one broken thing past me after the other I just pick other players.

On character creation
1 Flaw, 2 Traits maximum.
34 Point Buy, or 32 PB and a bonus feat.
3rd level(5000 XP), 5000 GP starting wealth.
No action points(but see Special Rules below).
Crossclass skills don't cost double. Always found that too restrictive. You STILL can only have half as many ranks in crossclass skills though.

Special Rules
Fate Cards
I use a special rule I introduced in my RL group that was very positively received, called Fate Cards. They are similar to Action Points, but more powerful and versatile, and also harder to get.
There are three versions, you start with one of them of your choice.

Play this card to immediately redo a single roll.
Instead of rolling normally, play this card to get a natural 15 instead(or 3/4 of the maximum if not a d20).
Play this card to force the DM to redo a roll openly.

You get these cards for fulfilled quests or roleplaying I consider particularly well. It's a nice way to give a tangible reward without offsetting party balance by handing out bonus equipment or XP.

Clue Cards
These cards entail information about the city and surrounding you obtained in some way. There can be rumors, a questhook, information about an interesting locale or person. They help fleshing the city out and randomly telling you things you'd never have thought to ask about.
How you use them is up to you. To give an example, in my RL group the Warblade girl got a card telling her that the tavern 'The Eagle' is frequented by racists and nonhumans aren't welcome. Since she's evil and has a special sense of humor she took the dwarf and halfelf there to 'celebrate', leading to a big bar brawl, one of the most entertaining fights I've ever had.
You start with three random Clues. New ones are gradually attained by offscreen interaction with NPCs; speed depends on Gather Information modifier and the amount of time your character spends with other people.
The Clues are SECRET; it's up to you if and what you share with the others.

mietangebot_1363134.html
mietangebot_1362971.html
mietangebot_1362754.html
mietangebot_1356522.html

A final appeal: I look for reliable and regular posters. The ability to post daily is highly appreciated, and I don't want to have to wait more than two days for a reaction from a player. If you take more than two days and the game is held up by that, you're NPCed for better or worse. If this happens repeatedly, I'll have to look for a replacement. Long waiting times are an easy way to make people lose interest in a game, so please, be sure you have to time and commitment for this before applying.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 11:59 AM
Just wondering, because of some things I allready suspected something like that. Anyhow, what do you do?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:00 PM
as said, drill a hole in the door and peek through with darkvision. If I see nothing dangerous, stash drill, pick up pole again and open door

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1891/32265554.png
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3939/29707956.png

You always see people griping about PbP games dying early or having a horrible pace. Well, here is your chance to join a game that goes the distance. It started over a year ago, and we went through 60 IC pages and counting.

What kind of game is this?

It is Sandbox city in the Forgotten Realms. You don't have a railroad plot you just ride along. Your actions largely determine the plot, whether you're heroes or villains, become known or purposefully stay outside public perception, throw in with one of the factions or do your own thing.

The city is fully fleshed out with many many institutions, NPCs, locations and quests. You can uncover mysteries, get into intrigue, pursue personal goals, explore Sarbreen, fight monsters and villains or perhaps rather decent guys if you're so inclined, make acquaintance with and win the favour - or ire - of important individuals. They have their own agendas and plots, be it for influence, wealth, revenge, love, honor or something more esoteric. You can help them(because you want to or for the right price), oppose them(because you want to or their enemies offer the right price) or just shrug it off and let events unfold themselves(why care which son inherits a title if they're both pricks anyway?). Or maybe you never learn of the matter until it's already fait accompli. The city isn't static, it lives and breathes, whether you're looking or not.

What's the city like?

Ravens Bluff is a place of adventure and intrigue. Check out the FRCS entry of The Vast for the basics.
It is a large port metropolis in the Dragon Reach, built on the ruins of the Dwarven city of Sarbreen which fell about 700 years ago. The ruins below still hold treasures, dangers and even a portal to Sigil, the City of Doors.
Ravens Bluff was traditionally controlled by the hereditary nobility, but without a central authority over them there was constant infighting that threatened to tear society asunder sooner or later. To prevent this, they agreed to vest power in a Lord Mayor, and the gamble paid off as the selected Charles O'Kane brought order and stability to the Bluff in the thirty years to come. Two years ago, the city experienced a costly war, but managed to repell the attackers. At this point the central power shift of the city's history occured: the nobility lost much of its power base when their lands and estates outside the protection of the city walls were devastated, and the rising Merchant Houses used this weakness to establish themselves as the Merchant Assembly, an institution of influence equal to the Council of Lords.
With the end of the war came new elections for the Lord Mayor, and Lady Amber Thoden, who held the city together during the crisis won over Lord Blacktree, Field Marshal of the army and O'Kane, who spent the conflict in captivity. But some months later it turned out that Lady Amber and the warlord who attacked the city were the same person, a ruse to gain control of the city one way or the other. With her identity revealed she fled, Charles O'Kane was reinstated as Lord Mayor but the powers of the position heavily reduced, now more a symbolic head of state than the true ruler.
Since then, merchants and nobles have been vying for control over the city, with the merchants slowly but steadily gaining ground. That is the current status quo, though not necessarily a stable one.

Some things of note
Map of Ravens Bluff (http://mitglied.multimania.de/khadgar/MBT%20Map.pdf)
Short overview of the different parts of the city (http://madnessbloodandthunder.wikia.com/wiki/The_lay_of_the_city)
Structure of government (http://madnessbloodandthunder.wikia.com/wiki/Political_system)

The current Party

{table]Player | Character | Race | Class | Alignment
Frog Dragon | Jorran Tolm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=365329) | Human | Barbarian/Sworsage | chaotic evil
Jeff the Green | Mirielle Greyhome (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=364443) | Lesser Aasimar | Cloistered Cleric/Binder | lawful good
rypt | Cael Idhien (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=424323) | Sun Elf | Oracle | neutral good
Sallera | Aya Llewellyn (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=56326) | Forestlord Elf | Shooting Star Ranger | lawful evil
[/table]

The 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Game plays in and around the city of Ravens Bluff, though heavily adjusted from canon, in the Forgotten Realms. Current date is Marpenoth 1372 DR.

Planescape is in effect, so it would be possible to play a character not originally from Faerun. This would mean the character spent his life in Sigil, the Outlands, the City of Brass etc. However it is not permissable to use Sigil just as a waystation to play a character from a different setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
One replacement player. There is a small, and I do mean small, chance I might take two players if the submissions are just too perfect to be declined.

6th level. I don't count experience, you reach a new level when appropriate. If someone wants to go into crafting I'll figure something out.

Wealth By Level, 13000 GP.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
This game is light on Homebrew. Everyone has a maximum of one request. Don't be surprised if I say No to most things.
Don't bother asking for things from dandwiki.

Any class, Variant Class, ACF or prestige class is fine(though see 16 below) with the exception of Paladin, as we do have evil characters in the party.
There is a way for me to write a Paladin into the story. But he'd not be the shining hero type and some parts of the character background would already be set. If someone's interested I'll explain in a spoiler.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Faerun is a diverse place with pretty much 'anything goes'. Any humanoid race is fine(in the descriptive sense, not the Type, so that includes things like Warforged, Elan and Aasimar). Some inherently evil things like Undead, Mind Flayers and Devils/Demons provoke 'Kill on sight' reactions and are thus not allowed, just in case you find a way to play that at ECL 6.
More exotic stuff is on a case by case basis.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
34 Point Buy. You have the option of using 32 instead and get a bonus feat in exchange.

I allow all alignments. As we want to maintain a party balance between the alignment components your character should not be evil.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Use the forum dice roller for your rolls, I'll do as well. I'll also do rolls you won't know the meaning of, like perception or Sense Motive(you'll never roll that one yourself as seeing the result gives too much metaknowledge).
I'm also fond of a d100 Luck Roll.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
We'll go with RAW, unless it violates Common Sense in an unacceptable way. See also Special Rules below.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
You need to be in Ravens Bluff, newly arrived or a resident for some time. We do a lot of roleplaying, so yes, a good background is very much required. You also need a hook for a starting quest.
This is Sandbox, you are not put on railroads and many plots are character-driven. To make this game work you need to show initiative, have tangible goals or interests your character works towards. You will spend a decent amount of time acting independently from the rest of the party, so have some things to do there.

The easiest way for me to introduce a new character would be if he passes through a village about three days NE of the city. This isn't obligatory, but very much preferred. If you have a clear character in mind but no reason to roam the landside tell me his interests, I should find something up there he'd want to see/investigate.

One thing to keep in mind: I got a lot of material and background for this city already. If the character background you have in mind makes major assumptions about the city(a Dragonblooded family with a seat on the Council of Lords, what kind of person the High Priest of Lathander is, the diplomatic climate between Ravens Bluff and Thay...) ask first whether this is compatible with my canon.
I am quite willing to make modifications to my material to accomodate a good backstory, but it can't conflict with information already provided to my players or upset major plots.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
There is plenty opportunity for Hack & Slash, and also for intrigue. This is a sandbox city, your decisions shape the nature of the game. Do keep in mind we did go months without an encounter before.
Most combats will take the form of a quest with a string of encounters(taking out a tribe of goblins damming up a local river, rooting out a Loviatar cult). These are done by the party as a whole. There can also be solo or smaller group encounters inside the city.

Fights are usually challenging and require you to play smart. Prefer battle maps? I hope mine are to your liking. (http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4839/barnl.png)

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
All 3.5 books and web enhancements published by WotC are legit sources. Be sure to check a book fulfills these conditions before using it here. Dragon Magazine(including the Compendium) counts as Homebrew. No third party material.
Most 3.0 Faerun sourcebooks count as part of 3.5(see PgtF p. 5 for details). Other 3.0 books are a No.

If something is infamously broken don't use it. When in doubt, ask. Note that 'when in doubt' and 'when you want to use it' are two quite different things. If you're unsure whether Shivering Touch, Dust of Sneezing and Choking or Planar Shepherd is fair game something went wrong.

Character Creation guidelines
1 Flaw, 2 Traits maximum.
Flaws have to be relevant. They are not a free bonus feat. You can't take Noncombatant if you're never going to roll an attack anyway. I will refuse requests for Flaws outside UA. No exceptions.
34 Point Buy, or 32 PB and a bonus feat.
Full HP first three levels, 3/4 after.
Allowed sources: 3.5 books published by WotC, grandfathered 3.0 Faerun sourcebooks, official web enhancements. Homebrew on request(1 max). Dragon Magazine and Dragon Compendium count as Homebrew.
No Action Points(but see Special Rules below).
Crossclass skills don't cost double. Always found that too restrictive. You STILL can only have half as many ranks in crossclass skills though.
MinimalistMonkFix: full BAB, d10 HD
MinimalistPaladinFix: good will, d12 HD, Smite per encounter
No Leadership
If you use something that isn't Core list the source of your sheet

Special Rules

Fate Cards
I use a special rule called Fate Cards. They are similar to Action Points, but more powerful and versatile, and also harder to get.
There are four versions, you start with one of them of your choice.

Play this card to immediately redo a single roll.
Instead of rolling normally, play this card to get a natural 15 instead(or 3/4 of the maximum if not a d20).
Play this card to force the DM to redo a roll openly.
You get two Action Points.

You get these cards for fulfilled quests or roleplaying I consider particularly well. It's a nice way to give a tangible reward without offsetting party balance by handing out bonus equipment or XP.

Clue Cards
These cards entail information about the city and surrounding you obtained in some way. There can be rumors, a questhook, information about an interesting locale or person. They help fleshing the city out and randomly telling you things you'd never have thought to ask about.
How you use them is up to you. To give an example, in my RL group the Warblade girl got a card telling her that the tavern 'The Eagle' is frequented by racists and nonhumans aren't welcome. Since she's evil and has a special sense of humor she took the dwarf and halfelf there to 'celebrate', leading to a big bar brawl, one of the most entertaining fights I've ever had.
You start with three random Clues. New ones are gradually attained by offscreen interaction with NPCs, a bunch of Gather Information checks, pure luck or a good Knowledge roll when first encountering something pertaining to the Clue.
The Clues are SECRET; it's up to you if and what you share with the others.
There are 100 Clue Cards. You will roll for them after you join the game.

Finally, what are we looking for?

A good, reliable player. Someone who makes an interesting well-written character with a good background, a plot hook we can follow up upon and competent but not overpowered crunch.
You should be decently familiar with the Forgotten Realms, and obviously the 3.5 ruleset.
An important thing is pace. I want this game to be going at a decent rate. As such, daily posting is appreciated and I expect you to respond within the absolute maximum of two days without fail, barring -announced- absence or busyness. If you can't provide that don't bother applying here; I will kick you out if you slow us down.
But if a player-driven well paced game with a focus on roleplaying is your thing you are the kind of player we want, so go ahead and submit a character.

As we like the roleplaying opportunities provided by differing alignments we want to keep a balance, so the character you submit should not be evil.
It looks like what the group needs most is someone who can do a bit of damage and melee/melee support; a gish, a close combat Rogue or Factotum might be ideal. This is not obligatory, look at the current characters and do what you think meshes will with them. What we definitely don't need is another arcane fullcaster(a blaster might have a chance though).

I plan to make the selection on the 20th of April, giving plenty time for you to come up with a character and me to come up with an individual plot for you.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:01 PM
Nothing there, don't know if you can drill a hole through the door? Must ask that.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:03 PM
It's what drills are made for. They're in Dungeonscape, ignore any hardness 10 or lower. So unless the door is made of something harder than steel I can drill through it

Clue Cards

1-10
1. The Watchful Defender
The Watchful Defender is a 12 foot granite statue of a watchman in the centre of the Foreign District. Local folklore has dubbed him Simeon and people like to make up tall tales what this fictional figure did to deserve such a grand monument.
If one looks closely one sees the statue is placed so it has eyes on the very door of Tantras' embassy. This is no coincidence, but rather a symbol for Ravens Bluff rivalry with the other city and a clear warning that the watch will keep an eye on their agents.

2. Whose hand is this?

3. Goblins Stealing Water
To the east, near the Earthfast Mountains, a couple of villages are troubled by a tribe of goblins, though not through raids: the goblins built a dam on the mountain creek supplying the villages and are storing the water in a huge underground cavern. They sell the water to the villagers, and letting the creek flow free for just a couple hours requires a payment the villagers can only bear by pooling money. So far, officials haven't dispatched a relief force yet as the goblins threaten to tear down the dam and flood the nearest village if they are attacked.

4. Embassy of Thay
The Embassy of Thay shows little activity; unlike at the other embassies, no guards are stationed outside and even the everpresent ravens stay clear of the building, kept at bay by the magical wards placed on the structure. The imposing double door covered with complicated geometric designs inside a large circle is rarely opened. The Red Wizards keep their presence inside the city to a minimum, at least as far as the public eye can tell.

5. Missing Statue
When the orcs of Vastar ruled in the Vast, they placed large stone monoliths of their gods over the landscape. The dwarves, when taking over, chiseled out the eyes of those statues, but otherwise left them standing.
Three weeks ago, one of these statues, placed just ten miles north of Ravens Bluff, mysteriously vanished overnight.

6. Something is Afoot with Quehulios
Quehulio's, one of the premiere magic item shops in the whole of Faerun, seems to have something going on. Something BIG. Nobody seems to know what it is, but just 3 days past there was a plot involving the High Priest of Ilmater which is somehow linked to it; though whether he was supposed to murder somebody or be the victim himself is unclear. But the hearsay is persistent the Red Wizards were involved and the notably increased interaction between Quehulio staff and members of the Clerical Circle has to do with it.

7. The Small-Temples
Officially named The Hallow Halls, but almost universally referred to as the Small-Temples, is a block of small buildings leaving an impression of serene beauty. Lacking the pomp of the civil temples, it is a collection of shrines for the gods of the Elven, Gnomish and Halfling pantheon. The dwarves have their shrines half a day outside a city along with a cemetery at the site of a major engagement with the orcs of Vastar.

8. The Trial
The Halls of Luck, the Tymporan temple in the Holyhouses district, look like - and are - about a dozen originally distinct buildings later interconnected. Inside, folk can at all hours play games of chance for coin or just fun. The place also features 'The Trial', an everchanging obstacle course adventurous folk can try while others place bets on their success. True to Tymora, the equipment granted before sent inside is very random, as are the rewards on completion.

9. A Noble Tattoo
The halfogre Talon Darkoak is a skilled tattoo artist and has his business in the Silverscales neighborhood in the second floor above Endelo's Tankard, a tavern not reccommended unless the best you can afford is watery beer and a bucket for a toilet.
Several months ago it was discovered Talon is the distant, though last surviving relative of the former Whiteoak noble family, thought wiped out years ago by a pirate raid. With no fortune to inherit but a good title many well-off young daughters of the lesser nobility are flocking to him to woo this man of rich blood but modest coin. His tattoos have become quite fashionable in the upper classes as a result of this.

10. The Dark Dancer
Recent controversy has been over drow trying to bring their worship of Ellistrae into Ravens Bluff by dancing in the moonlight near the docks and errecting a shrine in a warehouse they leased. A mob of over a hundred men tried to attack them and dozens of watch officers were needed to disperse the riot. The whole ordeal likely was a diplomatic victory for the drow, who remained unconfrontational and offered healing spells to injured members of the watch. Still, the Clerical Circle took offense at the construction of a shrine without their consultation and had it removed until a formal charter is signed for and granted.

11-20
11. Sanitation Facility
The Ravens Bluff Sanitation Facility in the Pumpside neighbourhood naturally spreads some less pleasant smells, making the property around decently cheap for rent without being ramshackle or seedy like some other parts of town. Waste is sorted here for useful parts; metal is melted down, the organic refuse is popular with farmers as fertilizer. Anything without use is thrown into a suspended box with the top open, guarded by walls of force from every side. Persistent rumor claims it is a Sphere of Annihilation, and more than one fool tried stealing it, but in truth it is just a small, permanent portal into the endless space of the Astral Plane.

13. Ladyrock You Better Run
Ladyrock, the small isle in the middle of the Fire River, is a place well liked by the less legalminded for meetings. The isle lacks an own watch station and if anything happens the watch ferrying over can be spotted from well away, giving ample time to remove evidence or just vanish.
If on Ladyrock you come across a group that looks to be just standing there innocently minding their own business it is reccommended to run, fast.

14. Misti Marva
Well, you already know about that one... Let's add some details. She has a couple street urchins who do information gathering for her, and is said to be an expert at forgery. There are a couple topics she refuses to provide information on, including rumors of the Four Ravens reestablishment, the traps and defenses of lucrative targets for thieves, and personal lifes or illicit businesses of various nobles and merchants.

16. The Ill Eagle
The Ill Eagle in Bitterstone is a hostelry with first rate food(owner was once the cook of the Damaran lord). Only humans are welcome and the eponym eagle could talk common, always spouting rather racist remarks. At the beginning of Eleint a group including a dwarf and halfelf entered the place and a big brawl errupted, in the course of which the halfelf downright exploded the eagle with a stab of a shortsword enfused with elemental energy. The owner pressed charges, but the exact legal status of the eagle is unclear; he claims he was a human forced into another shape and thus accuses the halfelf of murder, but there's no evidence for his claim.

17. Jorkk Marpe
Jorke is a cantankerous old man, speaking too loud because of his impaired hearing, and what he says seldom is friendly, especially towards women and younger folk. Despite this, his ramshackle shop is one of the Bluff's hidden treasures. He produces remarkably accurate maps with painstaking detail of places far and wide, and one used to get the best map of the city here.

18. The Veil
The Veil, legendary in Faerûn, is a thick, impenetrable cloudbank that descends on the eastern coast of the Dragon Reach twice a year. The intense fog for one tenday in spring and another in autumn always brings on a marked increase in criminal activity. It occurs at the end of Marpenoth and beginning of Tarsakh.

19. Friendly Familiar
The Friendly Familiar Pet Shop in Stormrime is a place to buy animals of great quality, be it common or more exotic. Cats, dogs, snakes, owls and, of course, ravens to little surprise. The owner Derry Burdale also provides training and healing services to other peoples' animals, and he is adamant on them being treated well. He is one of the city's foremost experts on creatures, mostly animals but also more unusual things like dragons, gorgons, stirges etc. Sometimes he hires adventurers to capture unusual animals, either to fill a special order or expand his breeding stock.

21-30
21. Dining on Wild Magic
Chemcheaux' was a consortium of independent artificers and magical crafters until a dozen years ago it vanished in a huge explosion that could be seen from well beyond the city walls, killing the owner Mortimer and at least one other crafter. Since then, spells cast in that city block have a tendency to go awry and out of control.
The enterprising short, round man Veldarno Khalabari bought the property and built The Raven's Glory there. Business has been exceptionally well for years and Veldarno is determined go join the nobility, earning the nickname 'the little persistence' for proposing marriage to every single lady or widow of noble blood repeatedly.

22. Helmed Horrors
Some wealthier institutions have been using Helmed Horrors as guardians for their premises, like the Fellowship of Jewelers, Goldsmiths and Whitesmiths, the Strangestars merchant house and the odd noble family. The source of these constructs is undisclosed to the public, though their export has been preemptively outlawed. The first cofirmed sightings were reported about two months after the war, though some rumors place their first appearance years before that.

23. The Turning Wheel
The Turning Wheel is the Bluff's temple of Gond. Perhaps to little surprise, many of the clergy are Gnomes. They offer a repair service infamous for the often random results for they always try to 'improve' what they work on, the results ranging from unexpectedly useful to impractical beyond measure. Even simple things like a damaged boot will receive modifications only a Gondar could conceive. If one wants to just put something back to working condition this is the wrong place, but for a gambler it is perhaps better than any game of cards.

24. No one loves Torm
The faith of Torm is one of the biggest in the Vast as a whole, but despite this the god of loyalty doesn't enjoy much popularity in Ravens Bluff. The reason for this is the god's strong association with the city's rival, Tantras, where his avatar fought Bane in the Time of Troubles. Thus, Torm's temple here is rather modest, and not part of the civic religions exempt from taxes.

25. Talos gotta Talos
Since the War Talos is probably one of the most unpopular gods with the Ravenar. In a sudden raid they attacked The Moonflame, the local temple of Selune, killing the high priestess and a dozen other clergy. Mere days after the end of the War they struck a second blow, disrupting a holy ceremony and using magic to force the remaining priests into a wild frenzy to kill each other. Eight more died, including the acting high priestess.
Selune is one of the most popular faiths in Ravens Bluff, especially among sailors. Since these attacks confessing to be a worshipper of the Storm Lord is a surefire way to provoke an angry mob trying to kill you - with the Watch mayhaps taking a minute longer than strictly necessary to respond.

28. Bloody Boots
The fiveway intersection northwest of the DeVillars Park is often referred to as 'Bloody Boots' in a surprisingly litteral way: the park was used as dueling place while the practice was legal, and after it was outlawed the tradition occasionally persisted in the quiet of night, and survivors would use the fiveway to steal away into the night, often leaving the red marks of their deed on the street.
The watch likely could quell this if they tried hard enough, but while there's a pair of officers in the park at all hours, this isn't enough to foil all would-be duelants.

31-40
34. The Shadow
A clerk working for the city had a quite curious tale to tell: one building in Bitterstone is listed in the official tax records as belonging to someone only called 'The Shadow'. It is an impressive, alsways shuttered and barred dark stone hall, and nobody can remember ever seeing anyone go in or out, but the taxes are always delivered on time, anonymously and exact. Far as the clerk could research, 'The Shadow' reaches back in the registers at least two decades.

35. Ravens Not Gone?
It has been four decades now since all members of the Four Ravens, the city's former thieves guild, were publicly beheaded. Almost every other year since then others have tried to fill the vacuum, but they've always been broken before they could establish themselves.
For the last months now though, there are whispers the Ravens might have returned in secret. Most say this is linked to the one survivor of the prior annihilation: the leaders of the Ravens were husband and wive, and of their four children only the youngest, their nine year old son, was spared. Now he works as a gravedigger and garbage disposer, though whispers claim he reestablished the family business.

41-50
44. House of Desires
The House of Desires in Mortonbrace is run by priestesses of Sharess. There was some controversy because building a temple requires the consent of the Clerical Circle, and worship or Sharess is disreputed or even forbidden in some cities in the Sea of Fallen Stars. They claim to be nominally a minor merchant house instead of a temple, and the Circle accepts this grugdingly instead of provoking the Merchant Assembly who back the House of Desires to get better connections with the south of Faerun. Still, the rapid gain of popularity is disquieting to some of the established Merchant Houses.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:06 PM
That's why I ask it to TS, but go ahead and for now assume that you can drill through them.

Still you see nothing though.

You see through the small hole that the way goes on for 35'

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:08 PM
Consider this standard procedure for doors: search with take 20, drill, peek through, stash drill, pick up pole, open.
If I see a monster, I'll hold a weapon instead of the pole

Open door, advance with searching and poking floor

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:10 PM
Okiedokie:
As soon as you leave the room by the door, you see a road going east and one going south from your point.

You see at the road in front of you that it goes east after 20' and it ends in a T-junction after 30' where you can go west or east.

If you look in the road going east after 10'you see a junction you can go north and south there and after 30' you see a door.

How do you proceed?

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-28, 12:11 PM
You are aware that that drill makes a fair bit of noise while drilling through the solid lead doors.

Dusk:If it's used on a door with a creature inside, give it a listen check DC 5 to hear the noise. If it hears it, it acts (most things will come open the door and attack.)

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:12 PM
TS:

I allready suspected as much and was allready planning on doing that. How many willsave guys do we have in the dungeon?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:14 PM
hm, damn. How much noise? This rather defeats the purpose of the item

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/New_Forgotten_Realms_logo.png
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/6741/cfef.jpg

Many a scary tale is told of a headless horseman riding forth from the mist, but rarely does the story begin with one.

If one ever came to wonder what the combination of a remarkable inn and unremarkable hamlet looked like, Sevenecho would be the answer. For many years the Worried Wyvern stood where the North Road from Procampur and Stormcrest Trail from Tsurlagol meet and it has become a popular resting place for everyone traveling these parts, offering a soft bed, quality food and drink and many a tale of lost dwarven treasure or local legend of the drowned lady, a lost spirit said to sing in the night by a hidden pool of lost love and words unspoken.

But what comes out of the mist one autumn morning is no mere phantom. The headless rider must have been dead for a day by the time the horse he is strapped to stumbled here, scared and exhausted. Although noone remembers his name, he is known around here. He was a farmer, living on the edge of the Brynwood, a large and thick forest to the north bordering on the Earthfast Mountains. The forest is home to Ossington, a remote settlement of perhaps 80 human and halfling farmers. Only about once a month someone from the isolated village is seen to trade goods, but now it has been three since they've been last heard from. The headless rider gives suspicion there might be sinister reasons for that silence, and perhaps it is time for someone to travel north to investigate...

Let's roll

Allright, so I decided to DM a second game. I'm quite happy with how my Sandbox is going, but that is open-ended by design. I do that a lot. For once, I'd like to DM a game with a clear endpoint and conclusion, something we can play, get through after a while and then reflect 'Hey, that was fun.'

The Standing Stone looks like a good module for that. I will of course make a good number of changes. Back then there was just one MM, but later splats provide so many interesting and exotic ways of giving your players exquisite pain a fun challenge. You can only kill an orc warrior 1 so often before it becomes repetitive after all.

So, as you can see I've set this in the Forgotten Realms, in the south of The Vast. You won't interact much with the world at large so you don't need to have the FRCS memorized, but still you should know your Realms lore. The pantheon, the major factions, the history and in particular the FRCS entry for The Vast.
Apart from that you should be quite competent at using the 3.5 ruleset and able to make and play a character that can pull his weight when initiative is rolled without being a boring one-trick pony, an equally boring standard build copied straight from a handbook, or just plain broken.
And of course the big issue with PbP. For this game to go the distance I need good, reliable players. Just saying that will not help much of course; I can think of many who are neither, but rather few who'd ever admit to it. My other game does well because the players are involved and we keep a good pace. I want likewise here. A response time of up to a day should be managable for you most of the time, and 48 hours is the absolute maximum after which you will be NPCed for better or worse. If you repeatedly slow the game down I will not be afraid of giving you the boot. And yes I will give your past games a quick look, so if you're in the habit of taking forever to post or abandoning games you have no chances here.

The 16
D&D 3.5

We are playing the module The Standing Stone. What you will see is quite a bit different from what the book says, I made a good number of changes to tie it into my personal Forgotten Realms canon. Not that you should notice any differences. The players applying here must not be familiar with even the vaguest particulars of the module. This is a hard requirement.

If perhaps you're not sure('Is The Standing Stone the one where X happens?') shoot me a quick PM. But posting any spoilers here will irrevocably get you on my bad side.

I am looking for four, perhaps five players.

6th level. You are close to 7th and will reach it soon in the game.

16.000 GP.

7. What about game balance and Homebrew?
It is your responsibility to make sure your character is useful but not broken. I won't fault you if we have somewhat differing opinions on what power level is appropriate for level 6, but don't be That Guy who tries to get stupid stuff like Planar Shepherd or Metamagic abuse past me. I want players with a good sense of balance, who try to have a fun game instead of wrecking it. If you're one of the crowd that thinks 'Ooooh, shiny!' when they see something broken this isn't the right place for you.

What I said about your responsibility to make sure something's not broken goes doubly for Homebrew you request. I am adverse to Homebrew for two reasons. One is that really well done Homebrew is the vast minority. The other is the sadly limited overlap between 'good Homebrew' and 'Homebrew people around here request to use'. I am talking about you, the people who think broken Brew is awesome and desirable instead of something to avoid. The people who throw a wall of Homebrew at the DM for a single character, something I could perhaps understand if all we had is Core and not the impressive wealth of official material to choose from. The people who think a common race without templates is something only Muggles play.
Is that you? Then you've come to the wrong place I'm afraid.

Is that not you? Then you may ask about using Homebrew you desire. After giving it a very very careful and thorough look to make sure it's balanced. You may use a maximum of one Homebrew on your character, and if I denied two of your requests you will not get a third one.

Faerun is a diverse place with pretty much 'anything goes'. Any humanoid race is fine(in the descriptive sense, not the Type, so that includes things like Warforged, Elan and Aasimar).
Anything more unusual than that, ask first and be prepared for a No.

Two options
1) 34 Point Buy. You have the option of using 32 instead and get a bonus feat in exchange.
2) 4d6b3 six times and a bonus feat, or 4d6b3 seven times. The number of rolls you make is final, you can't add a seventh if you don't like the result, and naturally you can't remove the seventh once you rolled it either. If the rolls are bad you can switch to 30 Point Buy, no bonus feat. If you choose to gamble instead of taking the safe route you have to accept the chance of losing.

I allow all alignments except X Stupid or interpretations of CN and CE that make it impossible to work with the rest of the party.

Use the forum dice roller for your rolls, I'll do as well. I'll also do rolls you won't know the meaning of, like perception or Sense Motive(you'll never roll that one yourself as seeing the result gives too much metaknowledge).
I'm also fond of a d100 Luck Roll.

We'll go with RAW, unless it violates Common Sense in an unacceptable way.

MinimalistMonkFix: full BAB, d10 HD
MinimalistPaladinFix: good will, d12 HD, Smite per encounter
Just to be clear, these two preclude the usage of any other Monk and Paladin fixes. Asking for fixes to classes that are decently playable as-is(Tier 4 or better) is pointless as well.

Background is of course required. Your character should feel like a person, someone we like to picture as one of the protagonists in a fantasy story.

There will be a decent number of fights, this is D&D after all. But the module is non-linear and offers more options for the other two than most published adventures I think.

All 3.5 books and web enhancements published by WotC are legit sources. Be sure to check a book fulfills these conditions before using it here. No Dragon Magazine(this includes the Compendium), no 3.0 material, no third party. No exceptions. I mean it.
Note that some chapters of 3.0 Faerun sourcebooks count as part of 3.5(see PgtF p. 5 for details).

No Flaws. One trait.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:15 PM
Enough noise to that someone that is listening well can hear it. And by the way, once bought stays bought, unless you die.

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-28, 12:15 PM
Dusk: 2. Also, make the DC 10, given that it's the other side of a big lead door.

Remember, you cannot ready actions outside of combat.

However, as soon as both parties are aware of each other, initiative is rolled.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:18 PM
hm... So they could ready an action for me to open the door when they hear me and I saw them through the hole. Well, that gives them one free attack, so pass on that until I have a better idea how to use that

Go to the door, search it with take 20. Open

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:19 PM
Okiedokie, anyway, what do you do, after seeing the halls as they are, where do you go?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:21 PM
"If you look in the road going east after 10'you see a junction you can go north and south there and after 30' you see a door."

Go to this door

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-28, 12:22 PM
It's mainly because the doors are lead that it's making noise. If it were stone, or wood, it would make much less.

Dusk:10 and 15 DCs. Keep Lead at 5. Sorry to keep changing them.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:24 PM
alright. Just please tell me for each door then the material, hopefully lead isn't standard

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:26 PM
Still tapping and searching? I assume.

Anyway, your pole let's the floor in front of you crumble after you walked 5' past the junction (so 10' after the junction). You need to jump over it (since you have a modifier of positive you can take ten). You reach the door and it's a lead door. After searching the door you declare it safe as far as you can see.

TS

Doesn't matter you change them. As long as I know it before I need to use it. And he allready changed the plan.

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-28, 12:28 PM
..Lead *is* the standard, sorry to say.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:31 PM
Damn. Hm, do the doors cover a whole square? Otherwise, I could just drill through the stone instead

If that doesn't work: search with take 20, hold shield and spinning sword, open door. Prepare for worst

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:32 PM
They are in the complete square and the open by going sideways into the wall.

Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||L||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south and E1 north.
In the room there is an ugly looking, blue scaled, lizard thing with fire in it's mouth!
Initiative: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:35 PM
Initiative autowin

Move adjacent, Steely Strike with Spinning Sword [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + [roll2] Skirmish

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:38 PM
He dodges your sword, does a 5' step back and breathes fire on you: [roll0] reflex 15 halves and you are entangled.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:39 PM
I still threaten him, does that provoke an AoO?

If so
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Reflex [roll2]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:40 PM
Crit confirm [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

if no AoO, 5 foot step and attack. Keeping previous rolls if this works like in the Arena

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:46 PM
No AoO sadly for you.

And for this time, next time wait if you may have an AoO before taking it please. Anyhow you gain:

150 xp.
You're by the way only entangled for:
[roll0] rounds.

You take the remaining rounds:
1: [roll1]damage
2. [roll2]damage
3. [roll3]damage
4. [roll4]damage

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-28, 12:48 PM
Dusk: Full d6 damage for the entanglement damage. Only the first roll is halved.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:49 PM
Oke in that case the three turns after that you take:

1. [roll0] damage
2. [roll1] damage
3. [roll2] damage

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:49 PM
Sorry, assumed this way we would proceed faster instead of waiting for an answer

Regain maneuvers, execute him, regaining 4 HP with Vital Recovery. Punch one of it's teeth out(I'm gonna make a neglace out of the teeth of fallen enemies :smallsmile:)

Standard procedure to the north door. Open it

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:52 PM
huh wait, that extra damage ninjad me. 3 d6 damage without a save just like that? Thats was a dragonfire adept with entangling breath I assume, does it really work like that? That class is stronger than I thought

The Vanguard

In every army, there's the first line of offense, those that go out to scout the enemy, secure advanced positions and engage the opponent in small skirmishes before the armies meet in open battle. This is the Vanguard.
Vanguards operate in small groups, experts at striking an unsuspecting foe to vanquish him before he has time to get organized. A pitched battle with locked formations is not the right place for a Vanguard. He fights best when he can move about freely, keeping his enemy off balance by expertly striking from an unexpected angle.

Becoming a Vanguard

This class favours those who use their mobility and stealth to gain an initial advantage over their foe. All Vanguards have Scout levels, and most of them have a few levels or Warblade or Swordsage as well, but some Scouts choose instead to take the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats to become a Vanguard.
There are two types of Vanguards. Most of them rely on pure skill and determination, learning the Iron Heart and Tiger Claw disciplines. A few though use their supernatural control over shadows as well for stealth and misdirection. Those Vanguards learn the Iron Heart and Shadow Hand disciplines.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: 8 Hide, 8 Move Silently, 5 Spot, 5 Survival
Feats: Track
Abilities: Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC
Martial Maneuvers: One stance of the Iron Heart, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines.

THE VANGUARD____________HIT DIE: d10
{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Maneuvers known|
Maneuvers readied|
Stances known|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|
0|
0 |
0 |
Offensive Recovery

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|
1|
0 |
0 |
Ready for Battle

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|
0 |
0 |
0 |
Skirmish +1d6

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|
0|
1|
0 |
Quick finish

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|
1|
0 |
1|_

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|
0|
0 |
0 |
Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC, Vexing Flanker

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|
1|
0 |
0 |
Fast movement +10 ft

8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+2|
0|
1|
0 |
Unhinging Offense

9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+3|
0 |
0 |
0 |
Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+3|
1|
0 |
0 |
Unrelenting Assault[/table]
Class Skills(6+Int modifier per level): Balance, Climb, Disable Device, Hide, Jump, Knowledge(Dungeoneering), Knowledge(Nature), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble.

Class Features

Weapon and armor proficiencies: The Vanguard gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At 2nd, 5th, 7th and 10th level the Vanguard gains one new maneuver known. He must meet the maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. He adds his full Vanguard level to his initiator level to determine the total initiator level and the highest-level maneuvers known.
At 4th and 8th level, he gains an additional maneuver readied.
Special: A character who enters the Vanguard through a Iron Heart or Tiger Claw stance knows the Iron Heart and Tiger Claw disciplines. A character who enters the Vanguard through a Shadow Hand stance knows the Iron Heart and Shadow Hand disciplines.

Offensive Recovery(Ex): Whenever the Vanguard is eligible for rolling Skirmish damage, he may use a Swift action to sacrifice some of the Skirmish dice. The Vanguard instantly recovers a prepared maneuver of a level equal to the number of dice sacrificed.
You can't recover a maneuver previously expended in the same turn.

Ready for Battle(Ex): Most Vanguards favor a mix of Stances, some to help with scouting and detection, others to give an advantage once combat begins.
At second level, a Vanguard has learned to quickly adapt to the sudden start of combat at a moment's notice. When initiative is rolled, the Vanguard can instantly switch to another Stance without expending a Swift action.

Quick finish(Ex): A Vanguard is an expert at dispatching foes not prepared for his sudden assault. When attacking a flatfooted foe, the Vanguard gains one additional Skirmish die.

Vexing Flanker: The Vanguard has learned to coordinate with his allies, rapidly moving into advantageous positions to circumvent his opponent's defenses. At 6th level, he gains the feat of the same name, even if he doesn't fulfill the prerequisite.

Fast movement(Ex): Starting at 7th level, a Vanguard gains a +10 foot enhancement bonus to his base land speed.
This bonus stacks with the Scout's fast movement bonus of the same type, but not other enhancement boni to base land speed.

Unhinging Offense(Ex): At 8th level, a Vanguard has learned to prevent his enemies from regaining their focus and readiness after a momentary surprise.
When attacking a flatfooted opponent, the Vanguard can sacrifice some of his Skirmish dice if he is eligible for the bonus damage. If hit, the target has to make a Reflex save(DC 10+Vanguard class levels+2x number of Skirmish dice sacrificed).
On failure, the target can act normally, but is still considered flatfooted when attacked until the end of the Vanguard's next turn.

Unrelenting Assault (Ex): At 10th level, a Vanguard learned to strain his body to the breaking point, pressing the assault in spite of obstacles and effects that would stop a lesser man.
By activating this ability as an immediate action, the Vanguard benefits from an effect identical with the Freedom of Movement spell for the rest of the encounter. Doing so deals the Vanguard 1d4 points of constitution damage.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 12:56 PM
That's okay, don't mind it. And you know, you're right, keep writing it down in case you think you get an AoO. Next time the rolls are only not used as attack rolls in the turns after that ok. This time I let you use it next time, you won't be as lucky.

Door is safe, you see looking out of the room that the way goes east for 20' and then bends south (with a door on the northern side).
And one way goes west for 60' with a bend to the north at 10', 50' and 60' and to the south at 30'.

And no safe indeed. That was 12 hp damage-4 means you're on 6 hp.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 12:59 PM
damn. I can't blow my potion yet, have to hope I get through the next encounter with just 6 HP

"Door is safe, you see looking out of the room that the way goes east for 20' and then bends south (with a door on the northern side)."

Take that door. Standard procedure. Open it with sword in hand

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:02 PM
Nothing happens, up to you opening the door when opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1||||
2||C|C|
3||C|C|
4||C|C|
5||||[/table]
The room contains a large chest with a note attached to it’s latch. There are doors at C5, D2 and D1 north.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:04 PM
Make a mental note to return here later. Too risky for now

Take northern door at D1. Because this room smells of trap I'll be taking 20 on search for any square I pass through. Ignore note and chest

Open door *gulp* halfdead after just 1 encounter

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:07 PM
You see nothing, but when you open the door a large red bullseye is painted on the floor.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:09 PM
but there's a corridor beyond the bullseye?

Search the square with take 20 and poke it with pole. If nothing, jump over it just in case and proceed

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:10 PM
You find nothing and no, you see the hall goes east and west, not to the north. So you need to make a strange jump.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:13 PM
hm... In that case I rather take the door in D2 due east. Proceed as usual

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:16 PM
Okiedokie, you find again nothing on the door, without leaving the door you see one hall going east for 15', one hall going north and one south.

When you set one foot outside the door you see the hall going south is 20' long bending to the east, the northern route is 10' long going west.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:19 PM
where does the eastern one go after that 15 feet?
If it's no dead end I follow the eastern path.
Before that, I go north and confirm that this path is the same as the eastern path when leaving the northern door with the bullseye in front

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:20 PM
It is confirmed and the eastern way goes north after 10' (from outside the room in front of the exit that is)

Eastern way, goes north and goes on that way for 40' there are junctions to the east (at 10' and 40') and to the west (at 20').

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:22 PM
north then!
My movement is rather erratic, I know :smalltongue:

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:23 PM
Wait where do you go? Past the bullseye? Or still going east and than north?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:26 PM
east, then north.
If while following that path I see a door in any direction, I'll go to it and proceed as usual(I need an encounter to hopefully heal badly :smalltongue: I just pray I stumble across another opponent who doesn't need an attack roll)

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:28 PM
At the first junction to the east you see a door 15' away, if you want to go there be my guest.

You see by the way looking in that hallway also a bend to the nort after 10'

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:30 PM
yep, take the door. Do the usual

ugh. Is there a map avaiable later on? I try to keep track with pen & paper, but I'm rather unconvinced of my success.

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:32 PM
Scan it in, put it here and I will say some improvements. And sure, there will be a map, but believe me when I say that this floor is still easily found out this way. Anyway the room:

{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3|||
4|||
5|||
6||1|[/table]
There is a door at A5 and C5.
At 15ft above ground there is a metallic, dog-sized, bug looking construct.
Initiatve: [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:35 PM
To scan it I'd have to go to university, sorry

Initiative [roll0]
This may not end well...

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:39 PM
The creature moves out of sight. Listencheck please and what do you do.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:43 PM
you said it's a construct, Scouts don't like constructs. Close the door, move 1 square into the northern bend and hide. If it doesn't follow me, I proceed north, ignoring this room for now

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:45 PM
Okiedokie, first north you found after exiting the room I guess?

That one goes on for 25' before coming to a T-junction, where the road splits west and east.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:48 PM
first west for 2 or 3 squares to see if it is the parallel corridor I passed earlier. If it is, follow the parallel corridor downward to see if there are any other junctions. if so, follow the first one

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:53 PM
It is the same as you were following. The first one now is the last one than, going west after 20' (only non-explored one).

You're still checking the way what way?

The west corridor goes on for about 10' and bends north.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:55 PM
one question, does everyone have the same starting location?

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 01:57 PM
I can tell you, but I would've fire the rocket that is pointed at your house if I did, would you really want that, now do you.

But without jokes, why do you ask? I mean, you're not supposed to look in other persons threads, so with that information you shouldn't be able to do anything.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 01:59 PM
if I looked in other peoples threads I wouldn't need to ask :smalltongue:

Nah, I just realize I'm very far from where I started(I wanted to go straight NE to find the edges of the dungeon first), so if the encounters get progressively stronger I may want to go back to my starting location and just pick another route

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:06 PM
I can't say anything about that actually, sorry. Secret information for DM's. But I can tell you, none of the encounters are above your power. Only you had the bad luck I roll quite well :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:07 PM
Either way, I'll do exactly that. Go back, from the starting room go south instead of east

edit: nah, bad luck was running into someone who can do good damage without an attack roll and me failing to hit with +10 when he's flatfooted

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:16 PM
oh, when this is over, I'll sunder apart one of those lead doors. Stupid things made me waste good money :smalltongue:

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:17 PM
Okiedokie the eastern route goes on for 30' with one junction after 20' (eastern direction), at the end there's a T-split and you can go east or west.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:20 PM
I assume you mean southern route, an eastern route with a split to the east makes no sense

I'll take the junction due east(the first one after 20 feet)

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:24 PM
It goes east for 10' than north for 20'. There's a door 5' from you.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:26 PM
ah... Finally a door again

Search, open

*please nothing crit immune and nothing that requires no attack roll*

if I need initiative [roll0] :smallannoyed:

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:26 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.
Initiative:[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:30 PM
2 enemies... better finish one quickly
Move to E2
Attack the human with Steely Strike [roll0] please tell me that's enough when he's flatfooted...
If that drops him, Swift: Stance of Clarity with the beast as target

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:31 PM
You miss the human who smiles at you. Will save please since a pile of colors wash over you.

The positive thing on the other hand is that the creature disappears

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:34 PM
he's not carrying a shield and he's flatfooted, you sure his AC is higher than 14? :smallconfused:

Oh if that's a spell I get an AoO. This time I ask before rolling :smalltongue:
Will [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:35 PM
Sorry for you no AoO. But on the bright side you made your willsave. And sorry you were right, he died in your first attack and the creature still disappeared.

150 xp
Loot:
Longsword
Chain SHirt
A piece of paper of some kind.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:38 PM
move to B4, Swift regain maneuvers, standard attack
Attack [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:40 PM
Wait what are you attacking? There's nothing anymore, the room is empty. See post above yours.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:41 PM
Puh, you had me confused(and worried) there :smallsmile:

"Nasty little bugger. But thanks for my new dress."
Regain maneuvers, punch one of his teeth out. Heal with Vital Recovery and execute him

Close door, don chain shirt. Stash other stuff, don't read the note. I'll take the southern door out

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:42 PM
There's again a bulls-eye painted on the floor where you want to exit the room.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:44 PM
go back, instead take the western door where I came in, go southeast until the East-West T-junction, west from there

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:52 PM
While you go further on south (in short while you turn south again after taken the little east sidetrack) you activate a trap: [roll0] acid damage
Than after going 10' south the road west goes on for 10', than goes south.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:55 PM
... damn. Seems my searchrolls weren't good enough

go south.
If a corridor makes a turn and there's only one way to go without turning back, assume I follow that way unless I see something unusual(change of terrain, a pit etc)

Duskranger
2010-05-28, 02:56 PM
What searchrolls. If you really wanted those you needed to roll them for every 5' square 3 times (like you planned). I take in account at this moment only the poking with your pole.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 02:59 PM
huh? I made a dozen times 3 rolls and didn't look at them so you could use them in order whenever they become relevant, most squares won't have anything to find anyway so doing a couple hundred search rolls will just be needless trouble for both of us

edit: So, how do you want to handle searching? I only see the following ways
I don't search. Um, sorry no
I take 20. TS said that takes too long
I roll a couple dozen search rolls whenever I move and you sort out the ones that are relevant for traps. Um, lotta work for both of us?
You roll for me
I roll in advance and you use them in order when they are needed, as I planned we would. I think this is the easiest way

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-28, 04:06 PM
Dusk, they're in the first post of the thread, in a spoiler. Just pick them out each time there's something to be found, and comment when you're out of them.

In this case, though, they weren't good enough.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-28, 04:10 PM
I made a dozen sets, I really hope I won't run into this many traps :smallbiggrin: though of course there could be secret doors too or whatever

well, as said, onward south. Before, I search the square with the trap with take 20, I want to know if it's a one-time trap or resetable

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:23 AM
You still find nothing in the square.

TS:
If you say so. He uncovered one pit trap by poking. But I will use those rolls for him.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 08:26 AM
continue south.

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 08:31 AM
After you met the trap you goon south, you meet a T-split, west goes on for 10' east goes on for 40' and you see there on the 35' mark a bullseye painted on the floor.

After the 10' west you see that the road goes south again.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 08:37 AM
do all those bullseyes look the same or are the colors or something else different?

West then south. I'll take care of the bullseyes when I found all of them

edit: doh, that's the same bullseye I've seen before, stupid me

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 08:39 AM
They all look like normal bulls-eyes, I mean everything looks black and white with darkvision, so everything looks the same in the dungeon without light. Unless you use a torch or so you see nothing, except black-white (and off course grey).

After 10' the road south goes east.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 08:43 AM
only east or south and east?

If a corridor follows only one direction assume I take it, no matter how many turns there are

If it goes only east, go east. If south and east, go south

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 08:53 AM
Will do, anyhow, while you turn east you trigger a trap: [roll0]acid damage. Walking on you see a door appearing (after walking 10' in this hall). While going forward to it you find a traphole, you poke on it and the ground falls under your stick. This happens after walking 35' in the hallway. You go on and trigger another trap for [roll1] acid damage (10' after the pit). Than finally after walking another 15' you reach the door. You see that this hall goes on for at least another 60' (but you do not know precisely, because it's longer than the reach of your darkvision).

(PS: sorry about the traps, but you're rolls didn't find them)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:01 AM
*gulp* I really should have switched to taking 20 for just this corridor...

"Hmpf, trap after trap. Maybe this means there's treasure in that room..." *hopelessly delusional. I guess you must be to enter here*

At this point, I regretfully have to drink my potion. Wait till I've healed, then search the door with take 20. Open it

Initiative if needed [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:04 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5, and another at B1. There is an orc in the middle of the room. It holds a Ripper and wears a chainmail, as well as a pair of goggles.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:06 AM
"Um, greetings fellow Water Orc. I see you won initiative, maybe we should talk this out? After all, we're basically like family, right?" *prepares for pain*

edit: why do I think it's a water orc? :smallconfused: Guess because there's no reason to play a normal one

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:07 AM
He yells Charging Minotaur and launches at you: Strengthcheck:[roll0]+2(charging)=17.

YOu must roll an opposite strengthcheck, if yours is lower than his you take: [roll1] damage

By the way, you don't even know who won that (or at least your orc doesn't knows :P). And you insulted him.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:12 AM
Strength [roll0] Bull Rush, right? So stout applies

Attack with Saphire Nightmare Blade
Concentration vs AC [roll1]
Attack [roll2] if concentration success vs FF AC. If fail -2 attack
Damage [roll3] + [roll4] if concentration was a success

edit: so I win the strength check because of higher modifier, but my attack rol sucks

oh, Swift: Stance of Clarity before ending turn. Forego my move action

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:17 AM
By the way you take the damage, since I forgot to calculate the +2 for charging. And the concentration wins, sadly the attack doesn't.

He is right in front of you and yells Steely Strike just before trying to gut you: [roll0] if hits it does [roll1]damage

Without stance of clarity you would be killed. Now, he's one under your attack. But still has the upperhand, since you have only 3 hp.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:21 AM
Damn, that Charging Minotaur hurt.
miss. Barely

Steely Strike myself Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Tumble out into the corridor so he'd take an AoO if he closes in again
[roll2]

This might be my first death

:smallannoyed: epic miss and I take an AoO

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:22 AM
You take an AoO since your tumble fails: [roll0] for [roll1] damage

Any way, he doesn't follow you.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:26 AM
where is he? he must have been in front of the door to attack me so when I'm in the corridor I should still see him. Did me move away?

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:30 AM
Where were you is the question, according to me you only opened the door, lost initiative and than got hit by a charging minotaur. Than you tumbled to the east or the west (don't know where). And now you know he is not following you. Nothing less, nothing more.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:33 AM
yes, I opened the door and didn't enter the room. He charged me, for that he must move to B5. I moved west along the corridor(say 15 feet) and I should still have LoS on B5 from there

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:35 AM
Actually you don't since the halls are only 5' broad. You can't see anything after 15' movement. Except that he didn't follow you you don't know anything. That's the way it is. Anyway, state your actions?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:37 AM
I still don't see how I'm supposed to lose LoS, but very well

regain maneuvers, heal 4 HP. Taunt him with some quips about his mother, bundystyle

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:42 AM
if that doesn't draw him out move closer(A6 basically), hiding. The Wall gives me cover. Take 10 on hide and move silently

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 09:52 AM
It doesn't draw him out. Can I get a listencheck.

DM's only:

[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 09:56 AM
here's why I meant I still see him. (http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8776/losu.png) He charged to B5, I retreated west. That gives me still LoS on his square

Listen [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:02 AM
here's why I meant I still see him. (http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8776/losu.png) He charged to B5, I retreated west. That gives me still LoS on his square

Listen [roll0]

Actually it shows precisely why you don't. You would see him if he was precisely at the end of that square. But he isn't. And you haven't heared any movement. So you may act now. Else we won't get further.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:05 AM
Move back west, then northeast. Let's see if I can get to that door in B1 and surprise him

I'll take the corridor with the bullseye and jump over it

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:08 AM
You go there with the fastest way I guess? In that case you move west, than north, than east, while moving east you see a bullseye (which I guess you jump over instead of walking over) (the door of the room near the bullseye is open. Than you move 25' north again, and 15' east to arrive at an open door. State your action.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:11 AM
alright, the door on the bullseye was opened by me, no surprise, but the other one is strange... Don't tell me they leave the room and alarm the other guards when you fail to kill them right away

Spinning sword in hand, move into the room to B1. I start from somewhere outside so I already moved 10 feet when arriving in B1

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:13 AM
The room is completely empty. Nothing is in there anymore. If there was something in the room it's now gone. And the door exactly on the other side of you is also open. Listencheck please.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:15 AM
Listen [roll0] wow...

damn, I don't like this...

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:17 AM
You hear totally nothing. And that will stay that way because a huge block falls from the sky and splatters you for [roll0]damage Seriously, you hear nothing that indicates that there's life near.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:18 AM
Hide in D5, javelin in hand, sword in mouth. Ready action to attack, wait 10 minutes

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:19 AM
After 10 minutes nothing still happened.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:22 AM
leave the room to the north, close door. If I see nobody, stash javelin and draw pole, proceed east

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:27 AM
Still nothing, door is closed, you move another 5' east then you go north, 5' from there is a notecard, 5' further a crossroad.
From there you can go: north 10' before the road goes east. East for 20' coming to a door and a road south and west for 60' where you can see: that you've been there or at least that it looks very familiar.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:29 AM
ignore the notecard for now

to the door. Search with take 20, open.

Initiative [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:33 AM
You find nothing on the door: Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||
4|||1|||
5||||||
6||||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, another at E-1 and another at F-4. There is a kobold wearing a chain shirt and holding a short sword.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:37 AM
finally I can use the strategy I had planned

Free: Switch sword to mouth
Move to C6, as part of move draw javelin
Attack [roll0] small +1, chain shirt +4, flatfooted... should exactly hit
Switch sword back to hand

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:42 AM
How do you attack him? Did you threw the javelin to him? Anyhow the attack misses. And you are weaponless at the moment. So that means he can come in closer without fear off an AoO. Please enlighten me.

And by the way, I take it that after searching you dropped the pole immediatly, thereby making sound. So it can be that the creatures aren't flatfooted when you enter the room, but are actually aware of you, even though the listencheck is high. If you on the other hand putted it down on the ground they won't hear it.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:46 AM
I threw a javelin, since he was FF it should hit unless he has some AC boosts besides size, armor and dex

This runs on Arena rules, precedent says you can hold an item in your mouth, switching to hand and back is a free action. So I switched my sword to the mouth, attacked with the javelin and then switched the sword back to the hand as a free action, so I threaten again

Hm, in this case from now on I will stash the pole instead of dropping it, that makes no sound

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 10:53 AM
Never heard of that rule before so nope. And I wouldn't know if they use those rules. according to me they only use the charactercreation rules from there. I have never been in the arena and don't know the rules, but I do know that you can't take your weapon out of your mouth as a free action. So only if TS says that it is allowed you may do it, else not. In short I will put the action and this thread on hold and ask TS what he finds.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 10:56 AM
well I assumed if it's alright in the Arena it works here too, but if you think this shouldn't work here then we'll wait for TS to make a decision on it

either way, enter Stance of Clarity before ending turn

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-29, 11:35 AM
Sorry, but nope. We use the Arena banlist for now (though it misses the scariest stuff, and I'll be writing my own soon).

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 11:42 AM
In that case your sword is still in your mouth, the kobold move to D6. A fire elemental appears behind you.

[roll0]+2=11 (flanking and stuff)
[roll1]+2=17 (flanking and stuff)

If one hits: [roll2] damage, if both hit add: [roll3] cold damage

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 11:43 AM
I don't get it, you allowed readying actions outside of combat, banned Loredrake only after a test run, but switching items between hand and mouth gets the banhammer right away? :smallconfused: But well, you're the boss

Put my character on hold then, waaaaaayyy too many things don't work like I thought they did(immediates when flatfooted, the drills, this...), I'll have to make a new one

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 11:45 AM
Okiedokie. Even with those restrictions you can win, believe me. I did it once (else I couldn't dm this). The drills work, only problem is that they make noise when they drill through stuff like everything does.

But when you're new char is ready we will go on. You did well, it was only sad that you didn't finish most of the encounters. I mean if you would've fought the orc and this one instead of running and giving up to make another character you could've been on the second floor. You're lucky by the way I could've been a lot meaner than I was now.

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-29, 11:57 AM
I am confused as to why you wouldn't just drill through the wall next to the door.

I'll be re-writing what's allowed, and what's not, hopefully.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:12 PM
I am confused as to why you wouldn't just drill through the wall next to the door.

I'll be re-writing what's allowed, and what's not, hopefully.

because the doors cover a whole square and when I drill through the stone on the adjacent squares I can't be sure if there's actually a room on the other side. I could still try though

Well, you know, I think I shall fight on with Nifhel until he bites the dust, then I think about a new character.

Concentration vs AC [roll0]
Attack [roll1] if concentration success vs FF AC. If fail -2
attack
Damage [roll2] + [roll3] if concentration was a success

edit: after switching sword to hand of course. Not that it matters with these rolls

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:15 PM
You miss, the kobold strikes at you:

[roll0] for [roll1] damage +[roll2] fire damage and you have 20% miss chance next turn if it hits.

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:17 PM
Since he misses he tumbles away from you: [roll0] and arrives at F4

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:23 PM
Move so I'm 2 squares away, regain maneuvers and heal, disarm attempt

Opposed attack roll [roll0] +4 size. He get's -4 for light weapon

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:28 PM
[roll0] by 1 you miss totally thanks to concealment.

[roll1] if you hit and this one is lower, the weapon is on the floor. Lucky you :).

And it's his turn now. He picks up his weapon, you get an AoO, roll also the d5 to see if you hit or miss, thanks to concealment.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:34 PM
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

There should be no miss chance, Child of Shadows(pretty sure this is a Swordsage) only applies if he moved, which he didn't
but just in case [roll2]

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:36 PM
He did move the last turn, and since that is still in effect. If he doesn't moves this turn you are right. Anyhow he tumbles: [roll0] to D2

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:38 PM
same thing again: move 2 squares away, disarm

[roll0] :smallsigh:

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:41 PM
Again the d5: [roll0] 1 misses. Nevermind, you miss (aren't you lucky)

If it hits: [roll1]

And the question, can he immediatly try to disarm you if he wins?

He does a 5' step back and regains a manouever

DM notes:

He regains shadow blade technique

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:42 PM
yes...
resist disarm [roll0] given my luck I won't be surprised to lose the opposed check twice in a row even with my high advantage

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:44 PM
Since your attack missed he didn't get the opposing check. And therefore he did a 5' step back and regained one of his manouevers. If the kobold dies I will tell you what one (it is written down in the DM notes, so no reading untill the kobold is dead)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:46 PM
5 foot step and try again. Come on, 9 advantage and no Child of Shadows because he only moved 5 feet...
[roll0]

"Pick it up, little one. I DARE you!"

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 12:48 PM
Autowin for you, since he only has a 1. His blade falls on the ground. While grabbing it from the ground you get an AoO.

After that (if he survives) he tumbles [roll0] to A2

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:50 PM
well, I always get an AoO out of this, so it's worth it
you don't need tumble, I can only do one AoO anyway
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 12:51 PM
If he still stands, move 2 squares away, ready action
Disarm if he tries to leave his square, attack, end turn

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 01:05 PM
You've killed him you get:

And 150 xp :)
Small Shortsword
Small chain shirt.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 01:09 PM
puh, that one took some time.

Punch one of his teeth out, nasty little bugger. Take eastern door in F4

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 01:15 PM
The road from here goes on 10' east, than 15' north, than 15' east, than 25' south where you meet after 10' your friend the pitt (which you jump over again), than you go 15' east again and you come to a T-split, you can go north or south.

South goes on (if you're standing in the hall) for 10' and you see a notecard hanging on the wall, 5' away, and bends west.

North goes on for 30' and bends than west.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 01:18 PM
wait, this isn't a pit I've encountered yet, is it? because if it is my attempts to map my progress failed very hard

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 01:22 PM
Nope you haven't you haven't been on this road. But there are multiple of this traps and untill now you have evaded every one of them.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 01:27 PM
Ah, OK

south. Ignore note, follow the path west

Oh, since the pile of traps in that other corridor inconvenienced me I will from now on take 20 on search for the next, say, 20 squares after encountering a trap. This includes now

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 01:45 PM
You have enough food with you right? Or water. If you are going to take twenty that many times you will need it. And one thing, poking with pole is still in or not?

Anyhow the road west goes on for 60' than bends north, you uncover a pittrap after 40' and you go slowly using your method again, the road west goes on for 10' and than you are back again by the room which you entered the kobold room with. You can enter the kobold room again or you leave that one alone for now and go on.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 01:53 PM
huh? Alright I'm really stumbled right now, any chance at getting a map?
Which door of the kobold room do I find, the northern one?

The take 20 on search is only temporary(though let's reduce it to 8 squares after a trap) since it seems they are concentrated in some places.
I still poke each square

Well, I go into the kobold room, execute him(forgot this), and take the northern door, from there I go north or if no northern route west

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:06 PM
He allready was dead and if you have a second I will make a map, this will take a lot of time though sorry. And it's the door at: A6.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 02:07 PM
no problem. Thanks for doing it

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:10 PM
I'm here to try and make your stay in the dungeon as enjoyable as possible. And if you need a map to have fun, well I will give you a map. The only problem is that it takes time, to make (since I need to cut out a lot of stuff), especially since I also need to do other things, threads to update and such.

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:34 PM
Hereby I give you the map for now: Map (http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2808/thefallenonenedmap.jpg)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 02:42 PM
I'm here to try and make your stay in the dungeon as enjoyable as possible. And if you need a map to have fun, well I will give you a map. The only problem is that it takes time, to make (since I need to cut out a lot of stuff), especially since I also need to do other things, threads to update and such.

It's not that I need it to have fun, I need it to avoid running around aimlessly since I've made 2 or 3 mistakes in my own mapping.

Thanks for the map :smallsmile: I can edit it myself from here on. From the kobold room, I take the northern door and try to find a north or northeastern route

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:45 PM
Does it look like your map?

Well from your place (one step outside the kobold room by the northern door) you see 5' to the east a road north, further east the road goes south after 35'.

To the west of your location the road goes: 25' west than bends to the north.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 02:48 PM
mostly, though some things are off in strange ways because I didn't pay attention to the size of the rooms when drawing

5 feet east, north then. Standard procedure.
Hm, I can search and prod squares 10 feet away, right?

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:52 PM
Yes, you can.

See I can be nice and give you permission for doing stuff :smallbiggrin:.

You walk north for 10', than east for 30', than north again for 15' west. You reach a door there by the way.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 02:55 PM
In that case, from now on I search the two squars in front of me, then jump over the adjacent square. That should give me a chance to avoid half of the traps(well, optimistic, aren't I....)

follow the path
edit: is there a stone wall that faces in the same direction as the door I could drill through?

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 02:56 PM
You can only search the adjacent tile. Poking can be done 10' in front though.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 02:59 PM
well, scratch that then
so, on which side is the door after walking 15 feet north?

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 03:01 PM
West. And sorry, I meant 20' norht (sorry me bad)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 03:02 PM
that makes more sense. Is there a western corridor of 15 feet before the door? If so it's the bug room
drill a hole in the wall to the room or if not possible drill hole in the door. Peekaboo

Duskranger
2010-05-29, 03:03 PM
You may drill a hole in the door, wall is impossible I am afraid (since again, doors ar 5' wide and the hallway too.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 03:05 PM
drill the door then. Guess you need a hidden listen check if the bugs still there

TheFallenOne
2010-05-29, 03:16 PM
well, keeping a map is a lot easier if you have something to start with. (http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2808/thefallenonenedmap.jpg) Blue dots are the bullseyes

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 05:57 AM
DM notes:

[roll0]

One problem, where you putted the bullseye near the chest room. It's on the most northern exit. Not on the south exit. Further no problems there.

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-30, 07:58 AM
Dusk: This one is mindless. It will hear 'a' noise, but it won't care. All this one cares about is keeping this room clean. If anything enters the room (or opens the door), it will blast it with acid, and then attack it.

If it can't see the thing, it will run around the room for 5 rounds, and if nothing is found, go back to the wall.

If anything leaves the room, it goes back to its position.

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 08:00 AM
TS:

I know, but when he drills a hole, he also gets some dust and stuff in the room. Which in my eyes mean that the creature cleans it and is precisely in front of the door. Therefore unseen by Nifhel, who opens the door and gets acid over him. Unless you find this tactic a little bit too mean.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 09:43 AM
I'll correct the map

Spy through the hole
Spot
Listen [rolll]1d20-2

If I see the bug just minding his own buisness, open door
If I don't see it, I assume it's trying to ambush me, return to the northern exit of the chest room(jumping over the bullseye), proceed west

I won't search/prod squares I already passed through, instead have my weapon in hand

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 09:51 AM
corrected Listen [roll0]

THAT wasn't worth a double post :smallbiggrin:

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-30, 09:53 AM
You see it right in front of the door, cleaning up the dust from the drill.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 09:56 AM
so it doesn't seem it's aware of me?

Open door, sword in hand
Initiative [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 10:02 AM
The bug sprays acid over you for: [roll0] reflex half.

Initiative: [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:03 AM
readied action? Um, that seems wrong

You see it right in front of the door, cleaning up the dust from the drill.

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action

I saw it cleaning, which is an action, so it can't hold a readied

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 10:06 AM
Indeed you are right, even so, take your action and after that get the acid over you.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:09 AM
argh, player knowledge vs character knowledge, knowing it spits acid I should just run away, but I guess that's quasi-cheating

Swift: Stance of Clarity
Concentration vs FF AC [roll0]
Attack [roll1] if concentration success vs FF AC. If fail -2 attack

please die...

Reflex [roll4]

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 10:10 AM
He didn't die, but since he had his turn, it's yours now. You could've run away and I meant it. In that case the next time you came here there wouldbe a complete infestation of these critters that all spitted acid at you (and I mean than around 20 of them). So you did the right thing

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:12 AM
ow. At least I made the save

Steely Strike
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-30, 10:13 AM
Now, Dusky, be nice. It can't split *that* often. There'd probably be less than a dozen..

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:14 AM
He didn't die, but since he had his turn, it's yours now. You could've run away and I meant it. In that case the next time you came here there wouldbe a complete infestation of these critters that all spitted acid at you (and I mean than around 20 of them). So you did the right thing

I don't like the implications this has for the Orc I ran away from :smalleek:

Hey, I'm an Orc myself, how fast can we reproduce? :smallbiggrin: I just hope this isn't a Setting where Orcs are funghi like in Warhammer 40K

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 10:16 AM
But only less than a dozen, that's only 10 TS.

Anyway the critter died:

You get 150 xp.

And you know, the orc ran away from you, not you from him. And he would never spit acid to you. So be appeased.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:18 AM
yay! Regain maneuvers, heal, smash it up a bit more

Punch out one of it's teeth feelers, I earned it.

Back to the north of the chest room, proceed east

the orc ran away from you, not you from him. And he would never spit acid to you. So be appeased.

But maybe he runs around the dungeon, kills everyone, steals my XP and picks up Dissolving Spittle on level up? You never know! :smalltongue:

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 10:21 AM
You're right, good idea, thanks for the suggestion. TS is that action allowed :smallbiggrin:.

Wait were are you going?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:22 AM
maybe I should keep some ideas to myself. Especially those that would turn out bad for me

North of the chest room, proceed west. Jump over bullseye

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 10:26 AM
West is good, you said east, that's impossible for you at least :smallbiggrin:.

You jump over the bulls eye without any problem, you move another 20' and you reach a T-split where you can choose between going north or south.

North: Goes on for 10' than splits into east and west.

South: Goes on for 20' and bends west. You see at the end of this hallway a notecard hanging on the wall.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 10:28 AM
20 feet after I passed the bullseye or measured from the bullseye?

North, then east

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 12:10 PM
After you passed the bulls-eye, so you are at the moment from there allready in the square next to the bulls-eye.

East is a 20' way, than it goes north again, after 25' you see a door.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 12:12 PM
where's the door, directly ahead, left, right?
Drill through the door if ahead, drill through the stone 1 square south of the door if it's on either side. Hide and peek through hole.

Duskranger
2010-05-30, 12:17 PM
It's on the western side and you can drill through the stone if you want.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 12:19 PM
do so

by the way, you don't have to ask for confirmation. I specifically explained what I'll do depending on where the door is so we can progress faster

TheFallenOne
2010-05-30, 01:07 PM
alright so far? (http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2808/thefallenonenedmap.jpg)

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 01:26 AM
Well oke, you drill through the stone and see: You see a nearly 7' tall, horned hobgoblin-esque creature, wearing studded leather, and wielding a scimitar

DM-notes:

[roll0]
[roll1]

The map is allright yes.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 09:39 AM
OK, stash drill and draw sword.

This is a good opportunity to study creature behaviour outside of combat(well, assuming he blew his Listen). Stay here for say 20 minutes and see what he does. Stoically wait in the same place? Wander around the room, mutter to himself etc

After that period, assuming he never readied an action which would indicate he's aware of me, open door

Initiative [roll0]

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-31, 10:20 AM
He wanders around the room slightly, fidgets a little, scratches occasionally, and every now and again appears to lose himself in thought, and after a short time of introspection, a look of complete and utter terror comes over his face. He wraps his arms around himself and sways on the spot, almost looking as if he would collapse onto the floor shaking, and to all appearances appears completely lost in a horrific memory of some sort. He snaps out of it after a minute or so each time, and continues stalking around the room, as if in anger or frustration, either at himself, at his situation, or at something else entirely.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 10:27 AM
... Wow. OK, here my meanness defeats my common sense

When he's once again lost in a horrific memory I speak through the hole in a spooky voice: "Whyyyyy, why do you suffer like this? You had a choice, but you chose this path."

If he goes for the door, I go around the corner, hiding and moving silently

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-31, 10:29 AM
Once he's aware of you, it'd be 'roll initiative...'

Do you want to gamble that his fears can be played with enough to make him not want to see who's making noise?

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 10:32 AM
I try to be more original here than "Kill everything", so yeah. Let's gamble

Craft Disturbing Mental Image [roll0]

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-31, 10:40 AM
He jerks, and his face twists in fear...then he shakes himself, and turns to the door, with murderous intent on his face.

[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 10:43 AM
aww, it would have been so awesome if I could talk a creature into suicide. It worked in Planescape after all :smallbiggrin:

Well, I already rolled initiatve a couple of posts before, or do I need a new roll?
[roll0] just in case

Stand beside the door, ready action: whack him with Saphire Nightmare blade if he opens it

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-31, 10:46 AM
I was hoping you'd enter and try to roleplay it...but nah, you taunted it from it's perspective, so...

He opens the door.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 10:51 AM
well, if he sees I'm an Orc I doubt this would have gone well

Hm, if Nifhel dies I'll try a Changeling or something, maskerade as creatures I already killed to get the drop on the others, maskerade as the dead mother of the goblin and convince him to join me in death by committing suicide... Anyone tried such an approach yet?

Concentration vs AC [roll0]
Attack [roll1] if concentration success vs FF AC. If fail -2 attack

does he still have an action after opening the door or is it my turn again?

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-31, 11:05 AM
Your turn again.

I'll let Dusk take it from here.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 11:07 AM
rightyright

Did 18 beat his AC and 14 his FF AC?

Steely Strike
Attack [roll0] :smallannoyed:
Damage [roll1]
Swift: Stance of Clarity

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 11:21 AM
You fail and it is his turn:

He attacks you with his scimitar:

[roll0] if he hits you get [roll1] damage.

If threat confirm: [roll2] if he hits you get [roll3] additional damage.

After attacking you he moves to A6 near the door (yes you get an AoO)

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 11:23 AM
I think I didn't get a map of the room yet

Move adjacent to him, regain maneuvers, heal, attack

Attack [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 11:24 AM
Crit confirm
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 11:25 AM
oh, missed the AoO, did you edit that in?

AoO: Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

term1nally s1ck
2010-05-31, 11:34 AM
He has spring attack, so no AoO. He can just move forward, back, attack, then move away.

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 11:35 AM
The AoO missed, but your attack actually totaled him. So that makes him slaughtered and gives you. TS, he killed him in his attack though, even without the AoO (which missed)

150 xp
Mwk Scimitar
Mwk studded leather.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 11:37 AM
still in negative hitpoints I hope?

Try to stabilize him. DC 15 heal
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

still need map of the room

edit: damn, he's dead. Would have loved to "chat" with him. Punch one of his teeth out then

huh, why do I think he's dead, I somehow raised the DC in my head :smallconfused: if he wasn't below -6 he made it

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 11:59 AM
He's still dead. And he stays that way. Sorry for you.

Map of the room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||1||
5|||||
6|||||[/table]
There is a door at A-6 west, which you are just outside of, another at A-1 North, and another at E-3.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 12:00 PM
alright. Map of the room? edit: thanks

Leave through the door I entered, progress north/northeast until I find another door

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 12:08 PM
You're welcome

Anyhow, you go out of the door, go north for another 25' north (where you get splattered for [roll0] damage after moving 15' of the 25'), than you travel 20' west (only possibility), you uncover after 15' west a pitt, you reach a crossroad, where you go north again for another 10' (and you uncover immediatly another pit trap), you start traveling east for 20' and reach a way north where you can see a door on the western wall after 10'.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 01:18 PM
wow, did I succeed onany search check yet? What a failure of a scout :smalltongue:

Hm, now comes the problem that there may only be solid stone if I try drilling above or below the door.
I drill through the western wall 1 square north of the door, if there's only stone on the other side, do the same one square south of the door. Peek through

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 02:24 PM
You see in this room a string of notes hanging on wires. Roll a spotcheck.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 02:51 PM
Spot [roll0]
If nothing, enter room. Ignore notes for now and look for another door. Take 20 on search for every square I pass through in the room

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 02:51 PM
You see still nothing, except the notes hanging on wires in the room.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 02:52 PM
See edits. If there's another door I take it

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 02:55 PM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||| [/table]
There are doors at A3 west and E3 east.
A string of 4 notes hangs in the center of the room.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 02:55 PM
hm... take western door, proceed as described. Don't read or touch notes

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 02:59 PM
You see exactly opposite of the door where you came out another door. Further you see a hallway going north and south. Both ways are 20' long.

North bends to east.
South bends also east.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 03:00 PM
hm drill through the stone [roll0]
1 north of the door
2 south of the door

If only solid stone, drill on the other stone wall. Peek

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 03:02 PM
You drill through solid stone and see more stone at your first try.

The second try is more succesfull.

DM-notes:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Spotcheck please by the way.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 03:04 PM
map for checking (http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/2808/thefallenonenedmap.jpg)

Look through the hole, sword in hand and ready

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 03:05 PM
I want a spotcheck from you please.

And by the way, the map is as for now quite complete, you didn't putted in the traps? The pitts I mean than.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 03:07 PM
Spot [roll0]

no I didn't include the traps. Also one note is not marked, would have to dig through the thread to see where it was

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 03:16 PM
This is what you see:

{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3||L|
4|||
5||| [/table]
There is a large lever with a bright red handle in the center of the room.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 03:18 PM
another room without a creature?

Enter, don't touch anything, if no encounter look for another door, no matter the direction. Go through and go say northwest from there if possible, want to find the edges of the map

Duskranger
2010-05-31, 03:19 PM
While you enter the room you see it's more like:

{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3||L|
4|||
5|||C [/table]
There is a door at A-2, and another at C1 east. There is a large lever with a bright red handle in the center of the room. There is a cake in the southeast corner of the room, on a tray bolted to the floor, with frosting reading something. . A note attached to the wall above the cake reads something else.

Your spot was too low too see the rest of the room, sorry. So now you see the complete room.

TheFallenOne
2010-05-31, 03:22 PM
This room smells SO much like trap it most likely is none. Or maybe you want me to think that? :smallconfused:

Take western door, I'll test the cake, chest and note room when there are no more monster running around. Northwest from the door if possible

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 02:17 AM
The western door opens and you fall in a giant pit never to be seen again, this would've never happened if you had used the lever Actually the door opens and you see a hallway, and yet again another bullseye, precisely in front of where you stand, opening the door.

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 12:00 PM
search it with take 20, jump over it or it that doesn't work take the risk and casually walk over it, only to be brought in front of a Pseudonatural Paragon Tarrasque after stepping on the teleporter field

Proceed north, if possible. Try to go northwest until I encounter a door

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 12:11 PM
You take the risk? You know it for sure. You really do not want to leave the room by the other door. You know what it's your char.

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 12:13 PM
well, once I cleared the floor I wanted to make all kinds of test with the bullseyes anyway, so makes no difference if I do it now(unless it's some sort of alarm that brings all remaining creatures here... oh boy). Let's get it over with, step on it. Proceed north if nothing happens

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 12:17 PM
You''re in luck, after a while fearing for your life nothing happens. What a anti-climax.
Anyway you go north for 5', after that the way turns west for 30' before going north again, in this hallway after 15' there's a door on the southern side of the wall.

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 12:19 PM
drill through the stone 1 square [roll0] 1 east 2 west of the door. If only stone try the other one. Peek.

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 12:40 PM
Roll a spot:

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 12:44 PM
Spot [roll0]
just in case
Listen [roll1]
Initiative [roll2]

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 01:17 PM
You see an elf sitting by what looks like a campfire, or at least that's what you deduce from the glow that you see. He sits with his back to you and looks like he's totally unsuspecting of you.

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 01:19 PM
Creature Study Mark 2. Draw sword, then observe him for, say, 20 minutes again

After that, open door. Keep above Initiative roll or should I roll anew?

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 01:22 PM
Open door and roll initiative:

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||2||
3|||||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
Elf is #2. He has equipment. You like equipment, don’t you? There is a door at A5 south, E5 south and D1.
[roll0]]

Dm-Notes:

Initiative:[roll1]

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 01:24 PM
Initiative mark 2 [roll0] let's see who wins

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 01:25 PM
move t E2
Steely Strike Attack [roll0]

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 01:26 PM
While you walk into the room you get hit by a stream of colors, willsave please against your flatfooted willsave :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 01:32 PM
a, there were two, huh? ...
I don't think I'm flatfooted

A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation. A flat-footed character loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.
He attacks from hiding, yes, that makes me loose my dex bonus, but FF? not sure

Also, two more things:
no readying actions outside of combat. So to ready he would have had to beat my initiative (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8582149&postcount=16)

If he casts once I entered the room at D1, not before, he looses cover since there are no features providing cover in the room, thus not flatfooted. I might even get an AoO

anyway, d20 for will [roll0] -5 FF, +7 Moment of Perfect Mind

Duskranger
2010-06-01, 01:34 PM
He had the actions readied, since he knew from the sound of your drill that you were there. You didn't see him with you spot, because he allready hid at that moment and readied the action to colorspray what came in the room. Sadly you fail so you will be unconscious for:

[roll0] rounds, after than blinded and stunned for: [roll1] rounds and than stunned for 1 round.

When you wake up again, you see that the throat of the elf is slit, all your loot is gone and the only things you have is what you have on you. He even stole your bloody money.

TheFallenOne
2010-06-01, 01:37 PM
he beat my initiative of 24? :smallconfused: As TS ruled, no readied actions before initiative is rolled

Hm, damn. Search the elf, drill through the wall in D5