PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) What's So Good about Stats?

Anithexx
2010-05-28, 04:14 PM
I've been part of the roleplaying community since I was six and in that time I have bounced around from system to system Always going back to D&D my first love. Enough about me.

One thing I've noticed about 3e is that the stats seem rather bland especially compared to systems like Rolemaster or B.E.S.M.

Now if you take into account that after 5th level for most characters you leaving the realms of reality based fantasy and entering the super fantastic i was wondering, would it be unbalancing to create powerful stat abilities that would grant free abilities once the stat gets to a certain point Example at 22 you could get something small like "pack mule" or "faster healer"

Let me know if this idea has already been tried (if so where can I find it?) or if it's to stupid to even bother.

Debihuman
2010-05-28, 04:25 PM
Since the stats are the basis for everything you do [every check or saving throw], I'd hardly call them bland.

Granting free abilities is usually unbalancing no matter what system you use. With D&D, eventually you do get "free abilities" but you get them based on your class rather than simply on your stats.

How quickly you level up can be attributed to good stats and too decent roll playing and decent role-playing if your DM gives out bonuses for that as well.

Debby

Anithexx
2010-05-28, 04:33 PM
I was aiming for the Super fantasy feel Like Beowulf ripping the arm off a troll or things likes that eventual fast healing for a high con and extra movement (speed or action) for dexterity. Though maybe I should just Make feats like that and just assign a really high stat requirement.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-28, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Feats could be a good way to do it.

Maybe - just off the top of my head, without the books to hand - you could bring some of the Epic feats out of the 21+ level bracket and down into the 20+ ability bracket?

EDIT: or you could make some of the d20 modern basic class talents (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/basicclasses.html) into feats. Here's a sample:Extreme Effort Talent Tree
A Strong hero can push him or herself to make an extreme effort. The effort must relate either to a Strength check or a Strength-based skill check. You must decide to use this ability before making the check.
Extreme Effort: The effort requires a full-round action and provides a +2 bonus on the check. Improved Extreme Effort: The effort requires a full-round action and provides a +2 bonus that stacks with the bonus provided by extreme effort (+4 total).
Prerequisite: Extreme effort. Advanced Extreme Effort: The effort requires a full-round action and provides a +2 bonus that stacks with the bonuses provided by extreme effort and improved extreme effort (+6 total).
Prerequisites: Extreme effort, improved extreme effort.
Energy Resistance Talent Tree
The Tough hero is particularly resistant to certain kinds of deadly energy effects. These talents can be selected in any order. Acid Resistance: The Tough hero ignores an amount of acid damage equal to his or her Constitution modifier. Cold Resistance: The Tough hero ignores an amount of cold damage equal to his or her Constitution modifier. Electricity Resistance: The Tough hero ignores an amount of electricity damage equal to his or her Constitution modifier. Fire Resistance: The Tough hero ignores an amount of fire damage equal to his or her Constitution modifier. Sonic/Concussion Resistance: The Tough hero ignores an amount of sonic or concussion damage equal to his or her Constitution modifier.
Fast-Talk Talent Tree
The Charismatic hero has an innate talent for bending the truth and dazzling others with a combination of words, mannerisms, and charm.
Fast-Talk: The Charismatic hero has a way with words when attempting to con and deceive. With this talent, he or she applies his or her Charismatic level as a competence bonus on any Bluff, Diplomacy, or Gamble checks the hero makes while attempting to lie, cheat, or otherwise bend the truth. Dazzle: The Charismatic hero has the ability to dazzle a target through sheer force of personality, a winning smile, and fast-talking. The target must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher to be susceptible to a dazzle attempt, must be within 30 feet of the hero, and must be able to see, hear, and understand the hero.
To dazzle a target, the hero must use an attack action and make a Charisma check (DC 15), adding his or her Charismatic level as a bonus. If the Charisma check succeeds, the target can try to resist.
The target resists the dazzle attempt by making a Will saving throw (DC 10 + Charismatic hero’s class level + Charismatic hero’s Cha bonus). If the save fails, the target receives a –1 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to the character’s Charismatic level.
This talent can be selected multiple times, each time worsening the dazzled penalty by –1. This is a Mind-Affecting ability.
Prerequisites: Fast Talk.
Taunt: The Charismatic hero has the ability to temporarily rattle a target through the use of insults and goading. The target must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher to be susceptible to a taunt, must be within 30 feet of the hero, and must be able to hear and understand the hero.
To taunt a target, the hero must use an attack action and make a Charisma check (DC 15), adding his or her Charismatic level as a bonus. If the Charisma check succeeds, the target can try to resist.
The target resists the taunt by making a Will saving throw (DC 10 + Charismatic hero’s class level + Charismatic hero’s Cha bonus). If the save fails, the target becomes dazed (unable to act, but can defend normally) for 1 round.
A taunt can be played on an opponent any number of times. This is a Mind-Affecting ability.
Prerequisites: Fast-talk, dazzle.
Just add in ability score requirements for those, and you've got what you seem to be looking for, yeah?

Lysander
2010-05-28, 05:53 PM
You don't really need to change the stat system for amazing strength trips like tearing an opponent apart with your bare hands. Just think of appropriate grapple check and strength check DCs.