PDA

View Full Version : A fairly random question that's been bugging me for a while

waterpenguin43
2010-05-28, 08:13 PM
Okay, this has been bothering me for a while:

Is "Witch", in D&D, the female term for Wizard or Warlock?

If there is no answer, what's your personal opinion?

I think it's Wizard.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-28, 08:17 PM
Witch is not an official term, unless you are using some third-party book that uses it as such. Use it however you want.

Keep also in mind the difference between “Wizard” and “Warlock” as rule-specific terms for class names versus “wizard” and “warlock” as general terms that could be used and misused in and out of character.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-28, 08:20 PM
there's an alternate class example based on a sorcerer given spells from the wizard, cleric and druid list in the DMG called The Witch

other than that, I would consider a witch to be a female spellcaster in general

Greenish
2010-05-28, 08:24 PM
Witch is an example of homebrew caster class in DMG. "Wizard" and "warlock" are class names and thus metagame terms in themselves. Either could be called "mage", "witch" or any such term depending on setting.

D&D 3.5 also tries to avoid gender specific anything, so yeah, there are female warlocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock).

Escheton
2010-05-29, 12:05 AM
Depends, the fearun campaign world has a region (rashemen) that has females as casters and males as barbarians and a whole lotta background about it. Anyway, they are called witches. Though they are mostly sorcerers I believe.

Prodan
2010-05-29, 12:43 AM
If we use "Witch" as referring to the DMG homebrewed class, we get a situation where men can be witches.

This is in accordance with the historical interpretation of witches, which could be either men or women.

Or cats. Or cows.

averagejoe
2010-05-29, 01:12 AM
Remember, your class isn't always what you are. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)

Heck, in pseudo-medieval settings a witch could just be any reasonably intelligent/skilled woman.

Serpentine
2010-05-29, 07:50 AM
Neither, it's a gender-neutral term. It's only come to be considered to refer to women fairly recently, probably because most (but not all) accused witches were women (actually most often lone, old women (aka. very vulnerable ones)).
I'd actually be more likely to apply it colloquially to Druids rather than Wizards.
As an aside, that "Should Be Core" prize winning Witch class is pretty fun.