PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a Wand Wielding Wizard?

Zach J.
2010-05-28, 09:46 PM
I'm playing a character who's destined to be a Double Wand Wielding wizard slinging Fireballs and Lightning Bolts across the battlefield with abandon. I'll still have my normal spells however and I was wondering what sort of spells a caster should prepare that would mesh well with using wands. The character's going to be wearing heavy armor and I'm going to make use of the Still Spell and Extend Spell feats to compensate. So far I've decided that extending buffs like False Life and Protection from Arrows would be a good idea, but that's about it so far. The character will be able to cast 4th level spells and I only have access to the SRD at the moment. Any ideas?

demidracolich
2010-05-28, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure heavy armor is worth the amount of feats.

dextercorvia
2010-05-28, 10:02 PM
Ditch the armor. Cast mage armor instead. Also, Haste>Fireball (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002)

Enervation, Stoneskin, Dimension Door, Black Tentacles, Solid Fog
Fly, Haste, Dispel Magic
Mirror Image, Blur, Invisibility, Glitterdust, Rope Trick
Mage Armor, Ray of Enfeeblement, Grease

For feats you have taken:

Still, Extend, TWF, Create Wands, and Double Wand Wielder?

What a waste....

Zovc
2010-05-28, 10:03 PM
I'm playing a character who's destined to be a Double Wand Wielding wizard slinging Fireballs and Lightning Bolts across the battlefield with abandon. I'll still have my normal spells however and I was wondering what sort of spells a caster should prepare that would mesh well with using wands. The character's going to be wearing heavy armor and I'm going to make use of the Still Spell and Extend Spell feats to compensate. So far I've decided that extending buffs like False Life and Protection from Arrows would be a good idea, but that's about it so far. The character will be able to cast 4th level spells and I only have access to the SRD at the moment. Any ideas?

Bards can cast spells in light armor, and are core, and Use Magic Device is on their class skills list even if a spell you wan't isnt on their spell list. On top of that, you'll get a better hit dice, and not have to prepare spells. Might be worth considering.

Zach J.
2010-05-28, 10:03 PM
I know the character won't be the most powerful, but my friends and I like the idea and I'm eager to play the character. Thank you for the suggestions, dextercorvia.

PId6
2010-05-28, 10:05 PM
Spells to prepare:

Level 1:
Mage Armor, Shield, Grease, Reduce Person, Ray of Enfeeblement

Level 2:
Glitterdust, Resist Energy, Mirror Image, Web, Alter Self, False Life

Level 3:
Dispel Magic, Stinking Cloud, Fly, Haste

Level 4:
Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph

Good spells for wands:

Scorching Ray
Grease (CL 3+)
Ray of Enfeeblement

That's about it. Noncore provides much better options for this type of character, but core doesn't have much.

dextercorvia
2010-05-28, 10:07 PM
Also, if you were thinking Arcane Trickster. Wand of Acid Splash is a cheap way to score touch attacks for SA.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-28, 10:07 PM
Avoid any wand-spell with a saving throw or SR, or any spell with CL-dependent effects at low CL (such as summon monster I). Use your actual spell-slots for those.

Thurbane
2010-05-28, 11:11 PM
The Practiced Binder feat will get you Heavy Magic (Karsus): +2 to the save DC of all magic items you wield.

Doc Roc
2010-05-28, 11:19 PM
Can someone remind me of the spell that gives you the ability to spend action points to defray charge costs?

And the spell that gives you action points?

And the feats that also do so?

sofawall
2010-05-28, 11:30 PM
I looked that up a while back. Spell is 5th level, from one of the Eberron books. I don't remember much more than that. I'll try and refind it again.

I think by "spell to defray wand charges" you either mean class feature or feat.

Another_Poet
2010-05-28, 11:40 PM
Here are my suggestions:

1. As others have said, consider losing the heavy armr and using extended mage armr instead. You're already taking the Extend Spell feat and you have all your normal spell slots to spend, so it's way more economical.

2. Consider Shield for your 1st level spell slots. Stacks with Mage Armr (or wearing heavy armr) and puts your AC into ridiculous levels for a caster, plus it auto-blocks Magic Missile which is always good for a giggle when the DM throws a caster at you.

3. The buffs you've mentioned are good. For your other slots, consider a bunch of buff spells for the party fighter and rogue. Enlarge Person, Haste, that kind of stuff. Invisibility Sphere is a winner for the whole party.

4. Any remaining slots should go to battlefield control spells. A few Webs for instance go a long way. Followup a Wed with your wand of fireball for pleasing results.

ap

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 12:14 AM
What was wrong with your last thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153558)? There's a lot of good advice in there... but without Complete Mage, I see you as having a lot of trouble. There's a ton of support for this kind of thing in there that you're just not seeing otherwise.

However, you can get around a lot of that by reading the Complete Mage excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a), especially the Feat list.

Ranos
2010-05-29, 12:20 AM
Can someone remind me of the spell that gives you the ability to spend action points to defray charge costs?

And the spell that gives you action points?

And the feats that also do so?
Wand Surge and Unfettered Heroism. That's high grade cheese right there.

nedz
2010-05-29, 10:17 AM
Here are my suggestions:

4. Any remaining slots should go to battlefield control spells. A few Webs for instance go a long way. Followup a Wed with your wand of fireball for pleasing results.

ap

No - you cast the Fireballs and use Web from a wand.
OK the Web's reflex save will be poor, but they still have to struggle through the strands via non CL dependant ability/skill checks.

Flickerdart
2010-05-29, 10:57 AM
Polymorph into something with many arms (Octopus?) for more profit.

Another_Poet
2010-05-29, 04:24 PM
No - you cast the Fireballs and use Web from a wand.
OK the Web's reflex save will be poor, but they still have to struggle through the strands via non CL dependant ability/skill checks.

You can use any spell of the right level from a wand. I thought your question was what to do with your spells per day. It sounds like you are going to have a stack of blasting wands, so I'd reserve a few of my spells per day slots for battlefield control spells. It wouldn't be worth getting a wand of those, both because it sounds like you mostly want to be a blaster, and because - as you said - the DCs would be weak.

ap

gallagher
2010-05-29, 04:30 PM
be a rogue, you might need to find a feat that allows you to apply sneak attack to rays. if that is already a rogue ability, then skip that step.

have wands of ray spells, they hit on touch AC. have one hell of a time killing everything.

pump hide, move silently, UMD, listen, spot, tumble, open lock and disable device, and be the best rogue you can be

Siosilvar
2010-05-29, 07:22 PM
be a rogue, you might need to find a feat that allows you to apply sneak attack to rays. if that is already a rogue ability, then skip that step.

have wands of ray spells, they hit on touch AC. have one hell of a time killing everything.

Any spell with an attack roll can benefit from sneak attack damage (subject to the 30ft. limitation as normal).

gallagher
2010-05-29, 09:51 PM
Any spell with an attack roll can benefit from sneak attack damage (subject to the 30ft. limitation as normal).

still, a UMD abusing rogue is still very strong, demands alot of respect, has incredible survivability and if you have the GP as strong as all but the most optimized wizards at the same level