PDA

View Full Version : Were-Animals Aren't the Only Ones...[3.5 Template]

Temotei
2010-05-29, 01:10 AM
Lunar Vampires

Lunar vampires are vampires of the moon. They thrive at night, using the moon as their guide in power. Lunar vampires often have dull-colored hair and silver eyes.

Creating a Lunar Vampire

"Lunar Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A lunar vampire uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to undead (augmented humanoid or monstrous humanoid). Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Speed: Same as the base creature.

Armor Class: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +4.

Attack: A lunar vampire retains all the attacks of the base creature and also gains a slam attack if it didn't already have one. If the base creature can use weapons, the lunar vampire retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons. A lunar vampire fighting without weapons uses either its slam attack or its primary natural weapon (if it has any). A lunar vampire armed with a weapon uses its slam or a weapon, as it desires.

Full Attack: A lunar vampire fighting without weapons uses either its slam attack (see above) or its natural weapons (if it has any). If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack along with a slam or other natural weapon as a natural secondary attack.

Damage: Lunar vampires have slam attacks. If the base creature does not have this attack form, use the appropriate damage value from the table below according to the lunar vampire’s size. Creatures that have other kinds of natural weapons retain their old damage values or use the appropriate value from the table below, whichever is better.

Size
Damage

Fine

Diminutive
1d2

Tiny
1d3

Small
1d4

Medium
1d6

Large
1d8

Huge
2d6

Gargantuan
2d8

Colossal
4d6

Special Attacks: A lunar vampire retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below. Saves have a DC of 10 + 1/2 lunar vampire’s HD + lunar vampire’s Wis modifier unless noted otherwise.

Brain Drain (Ex): A lunar vampire can latch onto a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it messes with the creature's mind, dealing 1d4 Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma damage each round the pin is maintained.

Night Slam (Su): Living creatures hit by a lunar vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the lunar vampire might possess) are fatigued. This fatigue lasts until the creature rests.

Special Qualities: A lunar vampire retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains those described below.

Resistance (Su): A lunar vampire has energy resistance to electricity 10, acid 10, and immunity to cold. A lunar vampire’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Fast Healing (Ex): A lunar vampire heals 3 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, it disappears suddenly, transporting the lunar vampire's body to a moonlit place within five miles instantly. If there is no moonlit area within five miles, the lunar vampire's body is transported to a spot in the world where the moon is shining. A trail of moonlight follows it to its destination. When bathed in this moonlight for an hour, the lunar vampire is helpless and recovers 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 3 hit points per round. Lunar vampires that were transported to a random moonlit spot in the world take six hours to recover 1 hit point, then resume healing at the normal rate.

Moon Affinity (Ex): A lunar vampire is attuned to the moon and gains benefits from being under its light. Whenever a lunar vampire is in direct moonlight, its fast healing increases to 5 and it becomes immune to acid. Its night slam attack's fatigue changes to exhaustion and its brain drain attack deals 1d8 instead of 1d4 damage to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.

Spider Climb (Ex): A lunar vampire can climb sheer surfaces as though with a spider climb spell.

Fly (Su): A lunar vampire can fly as though with a fly spell.

Turn Resistance (Ex): A lunar vampire has +4 turn resistance.

If the base creature already has one or more of these special qualities, use the better value.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +2, Int +2, Wis +8, Cha +4. As an undead creature, a lunar vampire has no Constitution score.
Skills: Lunar vampires have a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.
Feats: Lunar vampires gain Alertness, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes, assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats.
Climate/Terrain: Same as the base creature.
Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3-5)
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.
Treasure: Double standard.
Alignment: Usually evil.
Advancement: By character class.
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +4

Lunar Vampire Weaknesses

For all their power, lunar vampires have a number of weaknesses.

Repelling a Lunar Vampire: Lunar vampires cannot tolerate the strong odor of garlic and will not enter an area laced with it. Similarly, they recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented holy symbol. Symbols from moon deities do not repel a lunar vampire. These things don’t harm the lunar vampire—they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling lunar vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a lunar vampire at bay takes a standard action.

They are utterly unable to enter a home or other building unless invited in by someone with the authority to do so. They may freely enter public places, since these are by definition open to all.

Slaying a Lunar Vampire: Reducing a lunar vampire's hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn't always destroy it (see the note on fast healing). However, certain attacks can slay lunar vampires. Driving a wooden stake through a lunar vampire's heart instantly slays the monster. However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless the body is destroyed. A popular tactic is to cut off the creature’s head and fill its mouth with holy wafers (or their equivalent).

Lunar Vampire Characters

Lunar vampire characters with high Wisdom scores often become clerics. Other lunar vampires tend toward the sneakier classes, such as the ranger or the rogue.

Death Monkee
2010-05-29, 04:51 AM
NICE!

Not bad, I like it. But isn't the ability damage a little high? Wouldn't it just be wisdom as their sanity was sucked away? Just my 2 cents, <shrug>. Good job though.

Temotei
2010-05-29, 06:48 AM
NICE!

Not bad, I like it. But isn't the ability damage a little high? Wouldn't it just be wisdom as their sanity was sucked away? Just my 2 cents, <shrug>. Good job though.

Ordinary vampires drain your abilities, which is far worse than damage. I figured I could allow slightly higher damage because of that. Anyway, you don't create spawn or anything.

The mental statistics blend together all too often (especially Wisdom and Charisma). It's easier to just say all of them get that penalty. Most classes won't be using more than one of them, so it's not extremely bad. The worst part might be if the lunar vampire gets someone with 8 Intelligence, 9 Wisdom, and 6 Charisma or something.

I'll consider lowering the damage since it affects three ability scores, though. Perhaps I'll add an additional effect when in the moon instead of just increasing the original effect.

Haven
2010-05-29, 10:09 AM
Most classes won't be using more than one of them, so it's not extremely bad. The worst part might be if the lunar vampire gets someone with 8 Intelligence, 9 Wisdom, and 6 Charisma or something.

Actually, the first sentence is why this is so bad, and why the second sentence isn't how dangerous it is: the worst case would be if it was someone with, say, 18 Int, 14 Wis and 6 charisma. Having it damage all three means it's dangerous to anyone who doesn't have very high scores in all three, which as you say, isn't most classes.

Flickerdart
2010-05-29, 10:41 AM
This is an exceptionally powerful template for its LA, mainly because it's practically impossible to kill this vampire unless you have a globally co-ordinated effort or blow up the moon. It has no weaknesses compared to the actual Vampire. The weaker slam effect helps balance it a bit, if the fatigue doesn't stack, but the drain is much better (nobody dumps CON, mental stats are prime dump targets) in certain respects.

Temotei
2010-05-29, 12:25 PM
This is an exceptionally powerful template for its LA, mainly because it's practically impossible to kill this vampire unless you have a globally co-ordinated effort or blow up the moon. It has no weaknesses compared to the actual Vampire. The weaker slam effect helps balance it a bit, if the fatigue doesn't stack, but the drain is much better (nobody dumps CON, mental stats are prime dump targets) in certain respects.

I'm terrible with level adjustment once it gets past +2. What would you recommend? +4? +5, even?

demidracolich
2010-05-29, 01:01 PM
I say just make it drain wisdom and keep it the same because really high LA would discourage players from ever using this.

Temotei
2010-05-29, 01:05 PM
I say just make it drain wisdom and keep it the same because really high LA would discourage players from ever using this.

True. That's two people so far that have said Wisdom should be enough.

Do you mean Wisdom damage or Wisdom drain?

Tanuki Tales
2010-05-29, 01:19 PM
Seconding not raising the LA.

Is it a bad thing to make a vampire that is actually playable even if its a widge powerful? (Because if you're not playing a Caster you're weak anyways.)

Temotei
2010-05-29, 01:25 PM
Seconding not raising the LA.

Is it a bad thing to make a vampire that is actually playable even if its a widge powerful? (Because if you're not playing a Caster you're weak anyways.)

I wouldn't call non-casters weak, per se. It's that casters are broken. Look at Tome of Battle, for example.

Note that with +3 level adjustment and a race with no level adjustment, a caster could still get 9th-level spells. I don't think this should affect what happens to the LA though. 8th-level spells are pretty dang powerful.

I'll try making mid-level characters in multiple classes, always with the same ability scores. Then I'll add the lunar vampire template and take away three class levels and compare the "templated" characters with the "non-templated."

herbe
2010-05-29, 02:14 PM
Nice i really like it.

LA: Compare to half-dragon template which has also +3 LA, and lunar vampires are more effective, LA +4, but this is my two cents.

Temotei
2010-05-29, 02:19 PM
Nice i really like it.

LA: Compare to half-dragon template which has also +3 LA, and lunar vampires are more effective, LA +4, but this is my two cents.

Half-dragon is an awful template to compare to, but I agree that +3 might be a bit low as of now.

Still running comparisons.

Mando Knight
2010-05-29, 02:26 PM
Nice i really like it.

It's barely less effective than the standard Vampire and gets +8 to the score that its save DCs are based on. I'd say LA +6, at least. Evil Druids and Clerics gain ridiculous spell DCs and bonus spells due to this adjustment, and it has a passive (Su) flight of 60' and good maneuverability.

Fan
2010-05-29, 02:36 PM
It's barely less effective than the standard Vampire and gets +8 to the score that its save DCs are based on. I'd say LA +6, at least. Evil Druids and Clerics gain ridiculous spell DCs and bonus spells due to this adjustment, and it has a passive (Su) flight of 60' and good maneuverability.

But the vampire is stupidly unplayable...

I'd say +4.. MAYBE +5.

arguskos
2010-05-29, 02:40 PM
Temotei, reading over this (and seeing that Remi is obviously a lunar), I'm guessing that +3 might be too low. As Flickerdart notes, this (and the solar as well) lack major major weaknesses, and gain very very strong benefits. I'm leaning towards +4 personally. This advice is the same for solar, btws (blinding on slams? That's... a little good, just sayin').

demidracolich
2010-05-29, 02:50 PM
Um, its the other template that gets blinding on slams, this one has fatigue.

Temotei
2010-05-29, 03:09 PM
Um, its the other template that gets blinding on slams, this one has fatigue.

That's what he said.
This advice is the same for solar, btws (blinding on slams? That's... a little good, just sayin').

Alright then. I'm basically convinced so far that the LA needs to go up simply because of the lesser weaknesses.