PDA

View Full Version : Minotaur Character Build Help (3.5)

J-Boy85
2010-05-29, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone, first post here though long subscriber of OotS.

Basically I have found myself playing in a game where most of the characters are monsters using the Savage Species options. I seem to be surrounded by people trying to outdo each other on insane builds, my fellow melee combatant has just acquired the Swordwraith template (he was previous just a desert orc) so apart from him probably not leveling up for some time the rest of the party probably have equal ideas for making them one man destruction machines, and the DM is fine with the builds (he allowed 5 level 1 monsters after all) I have no problem with this and think it will be quite fun. However, I believe I need some help in order to keep up.

I am currently playing a Minotaur, Savage Species rules so decent (enough) starting stats, and 8 levels of monster class to come before I choose a character class. I have currently been playing him with aspriations of Knighthood and an honourable disposition. At level 2 his base stats are thus:
STR: 20 (will continue to increase with minotaur levels)
DEX: 14 (will drop by 2 as minotaur levels increase)
CON: 16 (will also go up with levels)
Int: 9
Wis: 13
Cha: 9

My first level feat was Law Devotion (Complete Champion). My current combat style is two handed greataxe combined with natural gore attacks.

I need help in two basic areas:

1) When I take a character class level at 9, which is best for the flavour of the character while keeping him competitive? He wants to be a Knight, but will the Knight class (PHBII) keep him competent as he goes up in level? Looking on the forums Warblade (ToB) seems to be agreed as a way of a martial character in 3.5 keeping up with spellcasters and optimized builds. If so what features of this class most benefit my character and his natural abilities?

2) Are there any smart feat choices that keep him dangerous using a greataxe? My initial thought being Monkey Grip will allow him when he grows to Large size using a Huge Greataxe. After that Power Attack for the damage benfits but then I become clueless. For the knightly aspect it seems unlikely he will ever use a shield unless it's animated. But with either of the two classes listed above or any other options I'm not aware of, are there feats that will allow a Large high strength melee fighter more effective? With limited HD and no core classes until 9th my feat selection is one of the lowest so each one is quite important. In regards to magic items it's up to the DM but there seems to be some freedom in purchasing of magic items. Does my build scream out for any magic item in particular?

I look forward to your suggestions and open to plenty of ideas. The character is still low level at the moment but it has already dawned on me that this campaign will be high powered and I don't want one of the coolest PCs I've had the pleasure of roleplaying being left out as things progress.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-29, 11:06 AM
1) Warblade will be much better if you want to be offensive - Knight synergizes very well defensively with Large races.

2) Don't use Monkey Grip, it's a trap. If you want an oversized weapon, get the Strongarm Bracers from Magic Item Compendium. They're cheap, and do the exact same thing without the -2 penalty.

Reynard
2010-05-29, 11:09 AM
1) Warblades like a high INT, since they get a bonus to reflex saves from it.

I have to ask, is this point buy or did you roll for stats?

MachineWraith
2010-05-29, 11:18 AM
If you're looking at the ToB, take a look at Crusader. It's got kind of a Knight/Paladin feel to it, gets to use maneuvers, and is quite good at tanking.

Zanticor
2010-05-29, 11:26 AM
Take a look at the war hulk from the miniatures handbook. Nice str bonus! I copied one from a story hour by Jollydoc and proceeded to wipe my PC's with it.:smallbiggrin:

Zanticor

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-05-29, 11:31 AM
Out of curiosity, is there a thematic reason why you are going vanilla Minotaur when, I believe, a Mineral Warrior Half-Minotaur Goliath leaves you with a racial profile of:

Large, Str +18, Dex -4, Con +10, Int -4, Wis +0, Cha -2, Natural Armor +5, Speed 40, Burrow 20, DR 8/Adamantine, Powerful Build (use that Huge axe right now), Scent, Bonus Feat: Track, and a 1d8+Str Gore. (Among other assorted goodies like Darkvision 60 and +4 to navigate Maze effects, all for one more LA but without a bunch of RHD.) Taking into account the increased LA, you can even start out as a lvl 1-2 Crusader for the "Knight" theme entwined with the ability to dish out hurt and tank.

Edit: Heck, I'll even toss in a suggested starting maneuver list: Crusader's Strike, Foehammer, Charging Minotaur (more than makes up for the lost natural charge), Mountain Hammer, Battle Leader's Charge. Stance: Martial Spirit. Pick up the Extra Granted Maneuver feat when you hit your 3rd HD, and you'll be all set up to steamroll the world. :smallbiggrin:

JaxGaret
2010-05-29, 07:42 PM
Mineral Warrior Half-Minotaur

Why not keep piling on undercosted templates and make it a Feral Mineral Warrior Half-Minotaur?

Pluto
2010-05-29, 07:48 PM
In regards to magic items it's up to the DM but there seems to be some freedom in purchasing of magic items. Does my build scream out for any magic item in particular?
Do you have a Wizard in the party? If so, giving him a scroll of Greater Mighty Wallop (RotD) and a Pearl of Power III could go a long way for a large melee character. Especially with the Strongarm Bracers mentioned upthread.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-29, 07:49 PM
Why not keep piling on undercosted templates and make it a Feral Mineral Warrior Half-Minotaur?

Because that would just be mean?

Gamerlord
2010-05-29, 07:50 PM
Because that would just be mean?

In 3.5 mean is such a savage term, I prefer "Escalating the conflict" .

PId6
2010-05-29, 07:50 PM
Don't forget Lolth-Touched!

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-05-29, 08:05 PM
+ OP stated that the PCs are in an arms race.
+ OP is not playing a caster. Or should I say "non tier 1"?
+ OP gets sexy templates and ToB goodness.

:smallwink:

J-Boy85
2010-05-29, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes the stats were rolled :smallfurious: nothing I could do. And as for other starting packages and templates, I'm afraid that boat has sailed, this is the first character I've played that wasn't a standard PHB race to give you some indication of how little I play in high powered campaigns. Templates that are not genetic or inherited do seem to be allowed (hence swordwraith on the other guy) but the situation must occur in game.

Thanks for the advice on not taking Monkey Grip, I already found weapon crystals from Item Compendium can replace feats like Quick Draw, but hadn't spotted those so will look out for them.

Any more suggestions on how the current build can be made tougher (half minotaur goliath whatsamacallit sounds too good but unfortunately can't remake the character) would be great.