PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Murder of Crows

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sliver
2010-05-29, 01:45 PM
The city of Whiteshore. It was named after the long white sandy beach it was built next to. It started as a small hamlet, but the large traffic it enjoyed demanded an expansion. Better roads, better ports, better trade, better everything. Some of the oldies still remember the days when they were young and used to pass their warm afternoons at the beach, chasing crabs and riding seals. They sometimes curse the day when the leader, what's his name? getting a bunch of stupid meddling wizards to redecorate. Now, instead of a beautiful shore, their border with the sea was made out of a long chain of ugly, smelly, good-for-nothing harbors. Shipyards, taverns, markets, what a waste.

No one cares what the oldies think.

A little of everything, something for everyone. That's what they say. They're right. Mostly. Whiteshore is pretty safe, but it's not crime free. And if someone wants you bad enough, well, tough for you.

You were contacted about a gig, a nice paying one hopefully. One of many, if you will do it well. The messenger that contacted you told you only the basic stuff, what you already knew yourself. Suddenly, bodies of dead crows started to show up. People said they were beheaded, featherless, legless, whatever. Everybody reported something else. When one of the city guards came to examine the evidence, it was gone. The reports came at different times of the day and the crows were left at varying points at the city for a random time, but never to be spotted by the guards.

You were directed towards a two floors house in one of the less fortunate neighborhoods. Inside, in an almost completely bare room, sits a small halfling, wearing a brown cape, a brown cap on his head, smoking from a brown pipe, and wearing a brown-tinted monocle.

He spins on his stool a couple of times and slides off, a bit dizzy, and turns to you lastly. "Hey, you must be the goons that-" he doesn't get to finish his sentence as he scurries off from something behind you.

As you turn, you see a large half-orc coming down the stairs from the second floor. The links of his chain shirt are apparent under his blue long sleeved shirt, featuring a silver hawk on it's front. A hood made of chains covers most of his scalp, creating a glaring contrast with his dark-greenish face. His body is slim, compared to other half-orcs you know, but he is still muscular looking, and his hand is calmly resting on the hilt of his longsword, as he looks at the halfling coldly.

"Excuse Rodvik" Says the half-orc "He likes fooling around whenever he finishes his current duties. I'm Rodrik. Our mother didn't care much of names, so she just named us similarly..." He looks around the bare room "This is just a hideout that was used by Black Fang, we are trying to find anything that might lead us to his current wereabouts, or at least reveal his current plan." he turns back to you, noticing your puzzled expression. "Oh, yes, me and Rodvik are brothers. Twins, actually. He just had an unfortunate encounter with a short-tempered sorcerer some time ago. Got cursed. Now he's a damn halfling and he is mentally damaged but... Well, some around joke that it's because he's a halfling."

After a short awkward pause, he sighs "Anyway. We made a list of names and locations for you, people that might know something... We can't really do it ourselves because... Well, they know us and don't want to speak. Afraid. We also don't want to make it too obvious, if whatever does it will know we are investigating, it will go in hiding and we will never catch it." Rodrik pulls an envelope and a small pouch "We'll give you some silver, and a bit of gold, to cover any expenses during your investigation. You will have to pay for your own stay at nights tho, and keep your encounters with the guard to a minimum if you want to minimize the risk of being detected. There is a badge inside" he pokes the envelope "so the guards will know you are with us. Just in case... Any questions?" he asks as he reaches out the envelope and pouch.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 02:20 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"Uh, yeah, I have a question: Who's Black Fang? And you two are with the guard? Sorry, the directions I got were pretty vague about this whole thing."

Sliver
2010-05-29, 02:27 PM
"I'm with the guard. Rodvik, not so much. I just watch him so he won't get into trouble. He is harmless, and isn't much of a bother as long as he is occupied." Rodrik says, his voice sad as he speaks of it "Black Fang is a troll, but much more cunning than normal trolls. He's bad news, but he has nothing to do with this case, of that I'm sure. Don't bother with him, and try to not get in his way if you can." Rodrik finishes.

Chrono22
2010-05-29, 02:43 PM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric speaks up, "You said something about silver?"

Sliver
2010-05-29, 02:52 PM
Rodrik shakes the outreached pouch, the sound of the metallic coins, clashing as they hit each other, rings through the house.

Khosan
2010-05-29, 03:04 PM
Osidi Copperscale
Osidi stands apart from the others, clutching the bandage on the side of his head with one hand and his shoulder with the other.

"Black Fang? Troll? Not sure why Troll would do this, no no." Osidi scratches his forehead, "Why find Black Fang? He know something about the crows?

Sliver
2010-05-29, 03:24 PM
"I'm sure he knows nothing. It's a different case, and not one you should care about. Leave that to us."

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 03:25 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"I must say, you've confused me too. If he's not connected to this case, why should we find his whereabouts or current plans?"

Sliver
2010-05-29, 03:27 PM
"What? I didn't tell you to do that. It's a totally different case that I mentioned off-handedly, that we, the guard, are handling. Not you. The only people that we know that might be relevant to the case are written here" he waves the envelope he is still holding in front of you.

Owrtho
2010-05-29, 03:33 PM
Looking around the room Shageki is glad to see some familiar faces. It's always been a pleasure to work with Daeric, and that girl he racognizes from Jewels Peaks caught his interest with her unusual nature.
"I see we meet again... Aicanique was it? As for the case at hand, I would be interested in looking at that list. I've been interested in this case since hearing of it, and this seems as good a place to start as any."
With that Shageki reaches forward to take the envelope.

Owrtho

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 03:42 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
At the guards:
"Oh, OK. It definitely sounded like we were investigating this Black Fang character. I get it now." Unbidden, she can't help but think of all the stereotypes about Half-Orcs and their weakness with words; she tries very hard to ignore these thoughts, trying to be 'better than that'.

At Shageki:
"Hey Shageki; nice to see you again. I followed that Necromancer you told me about, but the Guards had already gotten to him before I found him. You remember Emily?"

Sliver
2010-05-29, 03:44 PM
Rodrik hands the envelope and the pouch. "Anything else?"

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 03:46 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"Well, we haven't had a chance to read what's in the envelope yet... You'd probably know better than us, do you know anything that's not in there?"

Sliver
2010-05-29, 03:47 PM
"Anything we know about the people is there. Can't really add anything about that."

Owrtho
2010-05-29, 04:19 PM
"I'll try looking into the information on this list. I should be able to find something out soon, given my profession."
Having said such, Shageki turns back to Aicanique and Emily.
"Ah yes, I do recall meeting her briefly. Emily, I seem to remember you using some kind of sign language. I would be interested in learning it if you could find the time to teach me. You never know when it could be useful to know how to communicate without making any sound. That said, it might be useful to learn where everyone here is staying. It seems pertinent to be able to reach each other as needed."

Owrtho

Khosan
2010-05-29, 04:36 PM
Osidi Copperscale
Osids shifts uncomfortably from side to side, "You going to check on us? Watch us?"

Sliver
2010-05-29, 04:46 PM
"You are expected to inform us of any progress you will make. How can we know when to send the militia with you when you finally figure it out? if worse comes to worst, anyway." Rodrik turns back to see the halfling running around with an old looking chamber pot on it's head. He frowns "Oh Rodvik! Put that down!"

Lix Lorn
2010-05-29, 04:52 PM
Emily Crest and Nightwing
Emily nodded, forming several signs. The raven perched on her shoulder translated.
"That makes sense to us." he said. "We'd be perfectly willing to teach you as soon as we get a free moment."

Chrono22
2010-05-29, 06:03 PM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric looks nervous when Rodrik mentions the militia.
"Call in the militia? Wait a second. Why would you need the militia involved, if these are the actions of a small group? And even if we did contrive a means of contacting you, how soon could you arrive?
How dangerous do you think these bird-killers are?"
Sense Motive [roll0]

Khosan
2010-05-29, 06:33 PM
Osidi Copperscale
Osidi turns and stares directly at Daeric, "Bird killers not as methodic. Wouldn't leave piles, just randomly kill birds but not pile them together. Probably wouldn't do so much with bodies." The Kobold chews at the tip of one of his claws and looks down at the ground, "Not normal. More than just large collection of bird haters. Has to be. Not normal."

Lix Lorn
2010-05-29, 06:42 PM
Emily and Nightwing
"Maybe the birds aren't the targets." said Nightwing, translating for a furiously signing Emily. "Maybe it's a side effect. Magic of some kind? Ritual, maybe?"

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 06:55 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"That was my thought; crows are birds of death, carrion eaters. Often associated with Necromancy. As are corpses, and especially the removal of the feathers speaks of preparations for animation. And desecrating even the bodies of small birds is heinous, and speaks of darker evil besides."

Owrtho
2010-05-29, 09:12 PM
Looking a trifle upset at hearing crows described in such a manner, Shageki ruffles his feathers and interjects.
"I take offence at that description."
Having said as much, he calms down at once however, making it hard to tell if he was honestly upset.
"Still, there is merit in what she says. I could easily see one using crows for some dark art."

Owrtho

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 09:27 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"I would think you are rather different from a crow... but then, I also think you misunderstand me if you think I mean anything ill of the birds. I consider them very important."

Khosan
2010-05-29, 10:07 PM
Osidi Copperscale
"Not 'ritual'. Probably not, probably not. Could be a distraction, fool us, slip by while we follow bait." Osidi shrugs and glances around the room, "Guessing. All guessing. Should get to work."

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 10:19 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"Well, anyway, what do the notes have to say?"

Owrtho
2010-05-29, 10:29 PM
"While it is true I am different then my lesser brethren, I am still in part crow. As for what the notes say, let us have a look."
So saying Shageki opens the envelope and takes the note out for everyone to see.

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-05-30, 01:25 AM
"Look" Rodrik says, looking at Daeric "We don't know who they are, or why they're doing it. Our best guess is that it is some kind of a cult. Sometimes we had simultaneous reports from across the city. I'm just making sure you know we back you up in case it's bigger than it seems."

The list:
Walsham Taillour, son of the seamstress working for Lord Edwin.

Caryl, currently housed at The Drunken Light, an orphanage.

Elrad Savant, a servant at The Lost Habitat, a boarding house.

Ray Lathe, an apprentice at The Slice, a butchery.

Musty Moe, a beggar. Frequents the docks.

Theda Gamman, wife of The Reeking Cot's innkeeper.

Neva Barley, owner of The Naked Deal trade... House.

Assume you can find the named places without trouble.

Chrono22
2010-05-30, 02:07 AM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric nods, and offers his response.
"I see. I think I might have a way of getting the attention of the militia. Please, allow me to demonstrate." Daeric does a series of motions with his hands and utters a few words, and then puts out his palm.
Floating above it is a flashing luminescent arrow, with the words 'COME HERE' written on its surface. He speaks as the arrow rotates in his palm, "I can make one of these, except fifty feet tall and thirty feet across at the base. If we are in mortal danger..." he concentrates, and the color of the arrow shifts, ".. the arrow will be bright red. If the situation is under control, it will be blue."
He dismisses the spell before turning to the others.
"I don't know that this trick will work for all of us, however. Given the number of leads we've been given to investigate and the nature of the crime, some of these people may be coordinating. If they become aware of us, and see us moving as a group, they'll certainly take steps to interfere with our investigation and obscure evidence... or worse.
Therefore, I suggest we split our group into three discrete pairs so as not to raise awareness.
Here are my suggested pairings:
Shageki and Osidi - not to be of offense, but your appearances will draw attention to you wherever you go. Being meat-lovers, perhaps Ray Lathe the Butcher would be a good bet?
As for the rest, pairing off the men with the women sounds like a good idea. People will ask fewer questions that way.
For myself, I favor dealing with Neva Barley of the Naked Deal Trade House."

He finishes his monologue, "How does that sound to you all?"

Owrtho
2010-05-30, 03:31 AM
"The plan makes sense, Though I might try getting some other information about the suspects. Also while I may stand out, I'm not completely incapable of subtlety. Such a thing could mean death in my profession."
Turning to the others, Shageki simply asks,
"So then who will the other partners be and where will they go? Also how shall we meet afterword to discuss our findings?"

Owrtho

Lix Lorn
2010-05-30, 07:17 AM
Emily and Nightwing
Emily nodded, and then shrugged.
"We're not the best at diplomacy." said Nightwing. "Due to me having to talk. But we'll take anyone who's left, I suppose."

DragoonWraith
2010-05-30, 09:40 AM
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique turns to the guard, "What makes you suspect these people?" and back at Daeric, "Why? Do you know this Neva person?"

Sliver
2010-05-30, 09:43 AM
Rodrik looks at you, confused. "Never said we suspect them, they are witnesses or people who we gathered that might know something."

Chrono22
2010-05-30, 10:15 AM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric answers Aicanique, "No, I don't know her. But my skills put me in a good position to deal with her in particular."

DragoonWraith
2010-05-30, 10:22 AM
Aicanique Nárcala
"Wow, I am just reading into all kinds of things that are not there today. My apologies."

At Daeric, "If you don't know her, how do you know you'll be particularly good at dealing with her?" Aicanique looks very confused.

Chrono22
2010-05-30, 10:39 AM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed

"Well, she owns a trade house. Furthermore, she owns a "naked deal" trade house. A naked deal is an agreement that is committed without any bargaining. The best traders thrive on such bargaining... chances are, this no-bargain policy is damage control for someone that's easy to manipulate.
In this city, the owners have to keep on eye on the patrons. You guys wouldn't be able to spy on them without catching their notice. Who browses around in a shop all day without purchasing something? Someone suspicious.
I also have other reasons, but I assure you, I don't know anything about these people that you could not."

Sliver
2010-05-30, 10:49 AM
"I think you're reading too much into this. It's an old place, and the policy was changed several times already. They don't change the name because they don't care that much to change the sign..." Rodrik speaks up. "It might be dificult to get anything out of her though, if she'll think it might hurt her reputation"

Khosan
2010-05-30, 05:43 PM
Osidi Copperscale
"No more questions. No more." Osidi shakes his head and gives another wary glance around at his surroundings.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-30, 06:00 PM
As the debates continue, the eight-foot figure of Uago ducks in through the doorframe, his head coming just short of the ceiling as he straightens up again. "Sorry I'm late. My last client was on the far side of town." He explains as he looks over the assembled, his eyes appraising each of them in turn. "Looks like y'all are wrapping up. What'd I miss?" He asked.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-30, 06:31 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"Hello; I don't believe we've met. My name is Aicanique Nárcala."

Lix Lorn
2010-05-30, 06:38 PM
Emily and Nightwing
"I'm Nightwing. And this is Emily." said the crow, pointing his beak at her.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-30, 06:46 PM
"Uago Swiftstride, pleased to make your acquaintance, ladies." He replies, his voice seeming to fill the room each time he spoke, one huge, gauntlet-clad hand reaching out to shake any hands offered.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-30, 06:47 PM
Emily and Nightwing
Emily stared at him, and didn't offer her hand.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-30, 08:00 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique is quite a bit more flustered about it, but she also avoids shaking the man's hand. Handshakes were... awkward for her.

Instead, she said, "And this happens to be an acquaintance of mine, Shageki! I've worked with him before, he's a good man, and he has tons of good stuff to say about Daeric," she says, indicating Daeric.

Owrtho
2010-05-31, 12:45 AM
"I thank you for the complement. And, indeed, Derry is a fine fellow. His actions may be... a bit questionable sometimes, but I've always found him to be reliable."
After greeting the newcomer, Shageki turned to Osidi.
"Well then, as it seems we'll be working together, it might be best if we get to know one another."

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-05-31, 12:58 AM
Osidi finds the pouch already in his hands. He also finds that he already counted and sorted through the coins, and that it contains 14 silver coins and 10 golden ones.

The half-orc, Rodrik, passes among you and moves towards the stairs, glancing back for a moment to check if you want anything else.

[roll0]

Khosan
2010-05-31, 02:03 AM
Osidi Copperscale
Osidi double-counts the coins to make certain and makes a mental note of which ones were smudged or dirty. The kobold looks around the room, again, and counts his potential coworkers, "Two, four, six. Six...Not good, not good." Osidi replaces two of the silver coins with two of his own gold coins and nods satisfactorily, "Two and two for each one. Better now."

Osidi looks up at Shageki when he's addressed, "Name is Osidi. Osidi Copperscale." Osidi jerks forward in a motion that looks like a bow, "Could have heard name before, maybe heard name before, maybe not. Personal servant for hire. Done things like this before. Also been cause for things like this before. Not so big though. Not so weird. Didn't spend hours killing, arranging birds." Osidi lowers his head and looks back to the floor. "Have a dog outside. Doesn't like it inside. Don't either, but can't get in way of work."

Chrono22
2010-05-31, 03:35 AM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
He notes Emily's strange response in his mind - I wonder what that's about?
Daeric takes Uago's hand in as tight a handshake as he can muster (not very).
"A pleasure, I'm sure. As my good friend Shageki said, I'm Daeric. His compliments were well made, but poorly placed I think *chuckles*. You may have missed some of what was said earlier, but I think Aicanique can probably fill you in on the details."
He turns to Emily and gives a wry smile, "Did someone say your name is Emily? I'm Daeric Skaed, but my friends call me Derry. I hope we can become very friendly in the future." *wink*
He leans in a bit further and whispers something to her.
"Please excuse my frankness, but I noticed your reaction to Uago. Would you prefer we be partners?"

Sliver
2010-05-31, 03:38 AM
Daeric feels something weakly shoving him from Emily. Looking down, he notices the little halfling beaming at him.

Chrono22
2010-05-31, 03:46 AM
"Wha-.. huh? Do you need something, smallfellow?"

Sliver
2010-05-31, 03:48 AM
The halfling just rubs against Daeric's leg and purrs like a kitten.

Chrono22
2010-05-31, 03:52 AM
He smiles, and then says in a commanding voice, "Heel."
I'm using the Commanding Voice power granted by soul binding Naberius- this allows me to use a command effect once every five rounds as a standard action- DC 14 will negates.

Sliver
2010-05-31, 03:56 AM
He tilts his head, looking at you, and says "Meow?"

Yeah, he actually did save :smallamused:

Chrono22
2010-05-31, 04:01 AM
"*sigh*This is why I don't own a cat. They never listen to a thing I say."

Sliver
2010-05-31, 04:06 AM
"Watch out" Rodrik says jokingly "Rodvik is a real hunter, although not much of a cat..." he frowns, and the halfling barks in return, sitting on the floor next to Daeric's feet.

"look out for him while you're still here, will ya? Just shout when you are about to leave.." Without waiting for a reply, Rodrik climbs up the stairs.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-31, 06:03 AM
Emily and Nightwing
"She's not a very friendly person." said Nightwing dryly. "But act nice enough and you might manage physically close."

Admiral Squish
2010-05-31, 09:07 AM
Uago shifts a bit and tucks his hand away, seeing that clearly nobody else was going to shake it. "Well. Anyway, who are the captains for this, and whose team am I on?" He asked, looking over them all again.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-31, 10:10 AM
Aicanique Nárcala
"Captains? I don't think we need a formal hierarchy..."

Khosan
2010-05-31, 08:29 PM
Osidi Copperscale
Osidi glances to the stairs, the floor and everyone in the room in turn, "Would like to go now. Not clean, not clean. Work to do."

Chrono22
2010-05-31, 10:17 PM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
"Master Uago, we don't have any hierarchy- we've all been hired to investigate this dead crow business that's been cropping up around the city. The envelope provided to you has a list of names. They could be leads, culprits, or possible informants. We're splitting up our group of six into three pairs. Each pair is going to investigate two or three of the names on the list.
I'm with miss Emily (I think).
Shageki and Osidi are working together.
I think you and miss Aicanique have been paired (by default).

For the investigation, I think I'd like to check out Neva Barley, owner of the Naked Deal Trade House and Elrad Savant, a servant at The Lost Habitat (a boarding house)... if that would be alright with you."*Turns to face Emily*
"If you have any preferences, or have a third lead in mind, I am amenable to a change of plans."

Owrtho
2010-05-31, 10:36 PM
Having caught what Nightwing said, Shageki turns to the familiar whispers (note this is not to Emily),
"Friendly can be nice, but I find interesting to be more important myself. Interest can keep one going where adversity would cause friendliness to stop."
Having said such, he turns back to the group.
"Well seen as Derry's already calling out his picks, I'll go ahead and take Musty Moe. I happen to do buisness down by the docks frequently enough to not attract undo notice, and I'm of the mind that given the proper outfit, Osidi here could pull off a mad beggar without much dificulty, no offence. Also odd appearances are a lot more common down near the docks. In some spots almost enough to make a normal person be the odd man out."

Owrtho

DragoonWraith
2010-05-31, 11:16 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
"That sounds fine to me. Hmm... well, I think... I think I'd like to visit this Caryl, at the orphanage. Whether orphan or caretaker, I believe I could be more effective at questioning them. Other than that, none of the names or places really stand out at me, so I'm up for whatever."

Lix Lorn
2010-06-01, 07:28 AM
Emily and Nightwing
Emily shook her head, signifying she was fine with the plan as it was.

Chrono22
2010-06-01, 04:53 PM
Derry Skaed
"Excellent. Shall we depart?"
Assuming yes, we'll be heading for Neva first. How many coins (and of what kinds) does the envelope contain?

Lix Lorn
2010-06-01, 04:56 PM
Emily and Nightwing
Emily nodded curtly.

Owrtho
2010-06-01, 05:09 PM
"Derry, I think your overlooking the fact that we should decide a time and place to meet once we've looked into things. Once we do that we can depart."

Owrtho

Chrono22
2010-06-01, 05:27 PM
Derry Skaed
"Oh, right. Got any ideas?

Khosan
2010-06-01, 08:07 PM
Osidi Copperscale
"Meet where when finished? Shouldn't lose each other, shouldn't. Don't want to find things with no help. No help to come." Osidi coughs, "Could meet at Black Fang's again at night. Don't like it, but know where to find. All know. Risk suspicion and angry troll. Not familiar with outside enough to find new places."

"And not mad. Not mad. Not used to talking. Used to taking orders."

Owrtho
2010-06-01, 08:33 PM
"I might suggest meeting near the temple of Cyrrollalee tonight. It offers housing, so people showing around dark shouldn't attract undue suspicion. It also happens to be near my house."

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-06-02, 02:04 PM
You finish up formulating your basic plant and head outside, deciding that the most eficient way to handle the mission at this point is splitting up. <as it stands now, no one announces you leave, and you let the halfling wander aimlessly at the house>

Daeric, Emily, Shageki and Osidi head east, towards the docks, while Alcanique and Uago head south towards the orphanage.

About five minutes later, Emily and Daeric reach the trade house and their destination and leave their companions to continue to travel through the busy streets. 10 minutes afterwards, Shageki and Osidi enter the dock district.

Around 10 minutes after they split up, Uago and Alcanique find themselves in front of the orphanage.

The Naked Deal
The Naked Deal is located near the main marketplace, but further down the streets and the road here is much quieter than the busy streets of the town's square that you just left. The Naked Deal is a single story building with a small sign hanging above the door, with a crab made of copper that holds it's open pincer low, only a bit above the average human head level.

The windows are covered with dark tinted glass, giving costumers privacy when making deals, and even now you can hear the muffled sounds of haggling through the heavy wooden doors.

The Docks
There isn't much to say about the dock district. It is maintained, as the men of Whiteshore care for one of their most frequently traveled roads, and guards patrol the streets constantly. Most people are at work at the moment, but some men are still sitting on the stone pavement, drinking, mostly ale. You occasionally spot men chatting up mostly fleshly exposed, and children here are a much rarer sight than the streets you left moments ago. A carter drives through, moving a load of wood deeper into the city.

You spot the sign of an old but promising looking inn named The Reeking Cot, a bit further down the street.

Considering Musty Moe to be a beggar, you don't really know where he exactly is right now...

The Drunken Light (Orphanage)
You reach the little orphanage, deep inside one of the poorer neighborhoods, filled with beggars and the little guards that you do see around, don't seem to care much to even grace you with a glance. This place seems so neglected, that you aren't surprised when you see the little building that is supposed to be the orphanage, and realize that only the children that play outside are more than what the place could possibly hold, and there must be more inside...

A little double story building with a dusty sign labeled The Drunken Light, and a rusted gate that creaks as the wind moves it weakly. The children play by the half broken slides, or the swings made out of thrown away wagon wheels, their cloths hardly deserved to be called rags, and still, the kids seem satisfied with what they have.

Chrono22
2010-06-02, 03:54 PM
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
"I'll be back momentarily."
Daeric hides in plain sight.[roll0] After he fades out of view, he approaches an open window (if there is one). If there is not one, he'll listen at the door (off to one side, so as not to alarm any customers). If possible, he'll try to look through the tinted window at the interior (he has darkvision/lowlight vision).
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

Owrtho
2010-06-02, 04:14 PM
"Osidi, you try looking around and see if you can't find out where this Moe fellow is. I'm going to try getting some more information about all of this. We'll meet up at the The Reeking Cot in about 4 hours."
So saying, Shageki moved off into the crowd, looking for those likely to know something.
Gather Information [roll0] time [roll1]

Owrtho

Lix Lorn
2010-06-02, 05:11 PM
Emily and Nightwing
Emily approached openly, as if she intended to simply go inside, her and Nightwing listening carefully.

listen! +6 ranks, +2 for Familiar=alertness.
[roll0]

Khosan
2010-06-02, 07:28 PM
Osidi Copperscale
Osidi squints around the streets and nods idly as Shageki leaves, Dog starts to follow behind Shageki for a moment before Osidi turns her around towards him. "We look for beggar man. Not follow bird man." Dog tilts her head to the side. "What? Don't need to find that one. Just need to find any beggar man. Get direction. Idea of where to find beggar. Beggars know where other beggars beg, to know where not to beg." Osidi nods to himself, Dog untilts her head and wags her tail, seeming to get the point. "We look for man on corners. Sitting, probably, probably. Will be holding hands to others. Might try to get into my things." Dog barks in response.

Osidi gestures deeper into the docks and Dog trots off ahead.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-02, 10:16 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
Seeing the orphanage, Aicanique stops and turns to Uago. "OK, seeing as we're going to be working together... I believe I owe you a handshake," she says, turning to him and holding out her hand.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-02, 10:29 PM
Uago chuckled softly and clasped her hand in his, his huge, gauntlet-clad mitt completely consuming hers, and gave it a vigorous shake. "Pleasure to meet you, miss." He smiled, then turned to look at the orphanage. "Now, Caryl was the little girl's name, yes?" He asked, scratching his head.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 12:26 AM
OOC:Please post the name of the location your character is at in bold and then spoiler your actions. Anyone can read the spoilers as long as you can separate between IC and OOC knowledge.

The Naked Deal
You bump into each other as Emily approaches the door that Daeric blends in the shadows next to, but manage to hold it and don't bump into the door. You manage to hear parts of the talk inside and try to piece in the rest.

Female voice: "Didn't.... Yet. No control.... Patient.
Male voice, outraged: "WHAT?! How... Now?! No... Death... All?!
Female: "... Down.... Arrested..."
Male voice, slightly calmer: "I'll show... behold!"
Suddenly you hear a BANG inside.

The Docks:
Osidi: After a while, Osidi finds Dog lying in front of an old beggar, letting him pet her while she licks his other arm merrily. The beggar is quite obviously blind, and a bunch of coppers and even a few silvers rest in an oddly nice looking cup.

"Haven't seen you in a long time, old friend. Thought you won't make it.." The old man speaks, and Dog lets out a weak howl as an answer. The man nods, "Didn't think you are one to follow a single master, but I guess death changes us all." Dog barks in approval.

Shageki: It's slightly before noon at the moment.

The Drunken Light
Nothing interesting happens while you interact.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 12:52 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Seeing his gauntlet, Aicanique frowns. "Ah. Well, refusing earlier seems to have been pointless. However, it also ruins the point I was trying to make here," she says, and touches her hand to an available patch of bare skin (an arm, for preference, but failing that I suppose the face). Her touch is cool, even in the heat of the day, far cooler than living skin ought to be. "That is why I avoid handshakes," she says, and turns to face the orphanage again. "Anyway, yes, Caryl. Don't know if she's a 'little' girl, though, might be one of the caretakers. Either way, we should start by asking one of the adults; they often don't like strangers walking up and talking to the children."

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 01:03 AM
The Drunken Light

He jumped a bit as her fingertips touched the bare portion of his upper arm, looked at her curiously, then shrugged. "I took a job from a fish once. Surprises never last long these days." He explained simply, then looked to the orphanage once again, fishing out his note. "It does say 'in the care of'. That says kid to me. How about you talk to the adults and I'll talk to the kids? I'm pretty good with kids." He said, tucking the note away again.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 01:14 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
"Do you have any healing magics? And sure, go ahead, I'll find a caretaker."

Khosan
2010-06-03, 01:14 AM
Osidi Copperscale, The Docks
Osidi tilts his head, more than a little confused at the sight of Dog licking the beggar, doubly confused by the lack of sense in the beggar's words. "Don't think you've seen. Maybe before but not now. Not again, no. Strange. Also not dead. Neither dead. How do you know Dog? Old mercenary? Didn't get Dog as a pup, no. Was given her, years ago." Osidi shakes his head. "Not the time to wonder probably. Answers nice though. Would clear confusion. But looking for someone. Both of us. Beggar man named Moe. Some call Musty Moe, but don't think the adjective important or nice. Know him, where he sit, sleep, work?"

Osidi smiles jerkily for a moment, "Can let Dog stay here for now. Shouldn't need her to talk, but need to know where."

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 01:20 AM
The Drunken Light

"Can't say I do." Re replied. "But I think I'll be fine, these are only children." He added, before striding confidently towards the mass of playing children.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 01:22 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique smiles wanly, glad not to have to explain more oddities. She goes to look for a caretaker to ask about Caryl.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 01:41 AM
The Docks
"Dog?" The man smiles at the thought "Would never let anyone call her that before... Would make them pay at the insult..." He laughs quietly "With that whip of hers, and that sharp tou-" he stops as Dog bites him weakly "Right, wouldn't want to spoil anything, or face her wrath..." he pauses for a moment.

"Musty Moe you said... I know of him. An odd man, not much of a beggar. Not good at it anyway. Never got a single coin, not that I ever felt he tried. And yet, still, always wasting his coin on drinks. That bastard once drunkenly beat up one of Natalie's girls. Poor lass. Natalie is nice, hard times, but still spends time to help. Not like other girls in the profession, ya know? Mixed feelings when she is around. Happy to know some kind souls still care around here, sad that such a kind soul has to be around here, earning coin that way..."

The Drunken Light
Uago:The kids swarm him as Uago approaches, some even try to climb on the large man, the little ones at least. The older children look at him coldly. They probably stayed here for many years, too many. One of them steps towards Uago, the rest following.

"What do you want?" he says aggressively.

Aicanique: As you step towards the door, a woman opens it. She looks old and moves slowly, long gray hair partially falling over her face. She moves to move at away as she stops to look at you.

"Can I help you, dear?" she asks, as softly as she can, adding a smile. But something is off... Her smile, her voice. It all feels too forced. Maybe she just doesn't care anymore? Perhaps she simply expects nothing...

Khosan
2010-06-03, 02:01 AM
Osidi looks all the more confused at the beggar's comments over Dog. He shakes his head again. "Where to find Moe? Or Natalie? Think Natalie might know where Moe is. Might be able to help her."

Sliver
2010-06-03, 02:05 AM
The Docks
"Musty Moe, Musty Moe, Moe, Moe, Moe..." The blind man continues repeating that for a while, until Dog shoves his hand with her nose and he snaps out of. Shaking his head, he turns to look further down the street, where a woman walks quickly, obviously worried, perhaps even scared.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 02:06 AM
The Drunken Light

Uago smiles and gratefully lets the littler children climb upon his powerful arms and shoulders, holding his arms out straight for the children to swing off. As the older children approach, his smile fades a bit. "I'm here to look for someone. Caryl. You look more or less in charge, perhaps you know where she is?" He asked.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 02:09 AM
The Drunken Light
"Dead" The child spits "As far as I'm concerned. Devil spawns aren't welcome here!"

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 02:27 AM
The Drunken Light

Uago visibly bristled. "I think you need to be careful with your words, little one." He replied. "If she's not here, can you tell me where she went?" He asked.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 02:31 AM
The Drunken Light
"No" the child hisses.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 02:53 AM
The Drunken Light

The goliath frowns. "I am being respectful to you now because I can see that you are a leader to the rest of the children. But you continue to push my patience, and I have no tolerance for the games of those who think themselves to have power. You do know where she is, and you will tell me." He told the boy in a low whisper.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 02:56 AM
The Drunken Light
"No, I do not know where she is, nor do I care to know. We have nothing to do with the witch. Our life isn't sunshine and flowers, we don't want to add a visit to the lower planes when it's over!"

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 05:33 AM
The Naked Deal
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric doesn't know what to make of the bang...
could be dangerous
Daeric gestures toward the interior, and a thin dark form (his shadow) separates from his body and slips under the door.
Shadow's hide [roll0] (no need for a move silently check on his behalf- he's entirely silent). He'll stick to the dark corners of the shop and simply listen and watch. If he notices something worthy of communicating to his master, he'll return to Daeric.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 05:34 AM
The Naked Deal
The shadow returns almost immediately, you sense mostly confusion.

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 05:37 AM
The Naked Deal
My shadow can read/write the languages I know- he simply can't speak them. Daeric doesn't have a pen or paper handy, but lacking that the shadow could simply draw the letters in the soil.
Does Daeric feel a sense of urgency through the empathic link?

Sliver
2010-06-03, 05:39 AM
Mostly confusion

You want him to write, right now? Considering the situation, I wanted to let you give the command, if you think you have time to spare...

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 05:45 AM
I have no reason to think otherwise. Yes, I'll have the shadow write it out for Daeric in short hand.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 05:46 AM
It writes "Smoke"

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 05:56 AM
The Naked Deal

Daeric uses the disguise self ability granted by soul-binding Naberius to change his appearance: his body shortens, his waste expands, and the proportions of his head, eyes, and nose become larger. In a few moments, an unusually tall gnome in scarlet red robes is standing in the space the sly human previously occupied. His head is mostly bald, with what little hair left being part of a vertical spike in the middle of his cranium. He's wearing a monocle on his left eye. Daeric ceases to hide, and appears in his new disguise next to Emily.
Disguise check [roll0]
"Well, apprentice, let us enter. Those alchemical objects I desire shan't purchase themselves."
Hopefully she'll recognize his voice :smallbiggrin:.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 06:06 AM
The Naked Deal
There is no response, but you hear coughing inside, and then something falls with a thud to the floor.

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 06:12 AM
The Naked Deal
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric turns the handle on the door and proceeds to enter.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 06:47 AM
The Naked Deal
As the door opens, you indeed see the room is full of smoke. Daeric feels something bump into his leg, looking down, finds out it's a small gray jar. You hear a weak buzz, and then someone coughs as the female speaks up "fan out."

From above, again a buzz is heard, stronger than the first, and the smoke quickly disperse. Neva slams a small iron rod to the ground and looks at a man, angrily. "Do it again and I'll kill you!"

Make a K. Local check.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-03, 09:46 AM
The Naked Deal
Emily and Nightwing
Emily followed him, Nightwing perching upon her shoulder, looking around suspiciously.
I'm going to go and write which Incantations she has readied as standard so I can't fix it for later.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 10:44 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique flashes a small, sad smile of her own. "Ah, yes. I'm looking for someone named Caryl - I believe she is a child here?"

OOC
Hmm, it would seem I'm in a very different timezone from everyone else. I went to sleep...

Sliver
2010-06-03, 10:47 AM
The Naked Deal
Neva glances at you before turning to the man. "Go, shoo, I have business! Like I said, I'll send someone to tell you when it's here" and turns to you "Can I help you?"

The man decides to stay and browse through the different items lying in the shop

The Drunken Light
She looks away "Her... I'm sorry, she isn't here anymore. She..." the woman lowers her head.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 10:50 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
"She what, ma'am? Please, it is important. Has she... has she died?"

Sliver
2010-06-03, 10:54 AM
The Drunken Light
"She... Is a heretic now... I failed her..." The woman starts sobbing "She started drawing those weird symbols, but we didn't get it... Then she started speaking with her creepy little teddy.. We wanted to throw it away, we did it... Kept finding it. Never talked to it before... But then she got those odd powers and sometimes had those weird signs... Horns, drooling... We asked the priests, and then we knew... And it was too late!"

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 11:14 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique is taken aback. This was striking closer to home than even she'd thought it would. Fumbling her words a bit, she manages to say, "Which priests? What did they say? And what happened to her?"

Sliver
2010-06-03, 11:21 AM
The Drunken Light
"I.. Don't remember which... From the Silver Flame church... They said she was using wicked rituals to call spirits that have no place in our world, and that she must be stopped... She was gone before they got here..."

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 11:36 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Swallowing the bile in her throat, Aicanique looked visibly disturbed. "Did she have any friends among the children, someone she may have confided where she ran off to?" she asks, with a bit of desperation in her voice. She had to find this girl!

Lix Lorn
2010-06-03, 11:38 AM
The Naked Deal
Emily and Nightwing
Emily looked to Daeric to speak.Of course, she's unlikely to do anything alone... tholugh Nightwing would intervene if something was called for.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 11:41 AM
The Drunken Light
The woman stops sobbing for a moment, trying to remember. "She had a friend, but they stopped talking a few months ago, before she started changing. I think it was... Flint? Yeah, him... He should be inside now, but he doesn't talk much."

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 11:44 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
"Well, please, I must at least try to speak with him. I, for one, find it hard to believe that a child would willingly corrupt herself.

"Ah, hold on a moment, I should let my partner know of this development. One moment please."

Aicanique steps outside and tries to catch Uago's eye, trying to indicate he needs to come over.

Khosan
2010-06-03, 01:28 PM
Osidi jerks his head to look at the woman. "Who? Natalie? Is it? One of her girls, maybe? Maybe. Should look into it. Should, yes." Osidi digs into his backpack's pockets and pulls out two gold coins and two silver coins which he places in a very neat stack in the beggar's cup, "Thanks for help. But should go, should go."

Osidi makes a clicking sound to get Dog's attention and points to the anxious woman before he jogs off in her direction himself.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 01:33 PM
The Docks
Osidi: The woman stumbles, almost falling to the ground, and looks up to see you and Dog run towards her. She stops, looks around in panic, and then, very loudly, speaks "Who are you? I didn't see anything! Don't touch me..." And then, with a whimper, she adds "Please..."

Shageki: You hear some dock workers talk among themselves, and you catch them saying something about Moe.

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 03:42 PM
The Naked Deal
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric coughs lightly as he enters. "Are you Neva Barley? I heard that you sell all manner of valuable objects. My name is Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III." He looks around the room at the smoke as he speaks (trying to determine the source).
Spot [roll0]
"I'm a collector of quality objects- ever since my parents passed away (Garl's blessing be upon them) I've been the retainer of their fortune. Whenever something piques my interest, I can't help but immerse myself entirely in it." He shakes the money pouch at his waste absentmindedly.
"Today, the subject of my obsessions is alchemy and clockwork. Such objects are a fancy to any gnome- I must know how they work! As it happens, " he says, as he looks around the room "I am looking for objects that create smoke. Smokesticks were what I had in mind, but if you have something else...
Taking ten on my bluff & diplomacy checks:
Bluff (23 result)
Diplomacy (27 result)
OOC:Sorry for the delay- I typically sleep from the early morning until midafternoon, and work from about 10 PM to 6 AM. So, there are going to be some gaps between my posts. I plan on saying more, and actually purchasing something, but for now I'll fish.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 03:53 PM
The Naked Deal
Neva raises an eyebrow as you speak your name, and listens to what you say, but before she manages to answer you, the man speaks up.

"Oh! I'm your man! I have found a way to conjure smoke instantly. It looks like magic, but completely mundane, and much faster and easier to start than a little smokestick. Let me show you" he raises his arms but freezes as Neva looks at him "Do it, and that's the last time those hands of yours rise."

He lowers his hands as Neva turns to you "I have smokesticks, also some powders that react as soon as they contact air, in some bags that tear really easily. I could get something more specialized for you, if you make a special order, that is."

A cat lands on the desk in front of Neva, apperantly from a large rotating blade thingie (a modern fan) on the ceiling. It starts playing with the little rod in front of Neva, the one she slammed earlier, and it opens up to reveal another mini fan that instantly turns on and starts chipping at the wooden table, which Neva quickly turns off.

You should still make a K. Local check.

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 04:04 PM
The Naked Deal
Knowledge Local [roll0]
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Utterly fascinated by the tiny device, he walks up to it and pokes his large gnomish nose down at it. "Amazing, simply amazing. Clockwork and alchemy? Extraordinary. How does it work? How much are you asking for it?"

Sliver
2010-06-03, 04:27 PM
The Naked Deal
Neva palms the rod and shoves it into her pocket quickly "This one is not for sale, I can ask one to be made for you, but it will be costly. This one was made out of curiosity, now that it's settled..."

You don't recognize the man from looks alone.

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 04:51 PM
The Naked Deal
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III looks downcast as she says this.
"A pity. Well, let's see what else is available..."
I'm looking to acquire a scale, two smokesticks, 4 tinder twigs, a wind-up pocket watch, tools for taking apart the watch (thieves' tools), and a magnifying glass to examine the watch.
What does the man look like? If she leaves the room to collect the goods, I'll move toward the man to converse with him. If she stays in the room to acquire the desired objects from the shelves, I'll try petting her cat.
While the others' attention is hopefully diverted, I'll have my shadow slip underneath the desk and search it.
Search [roll0]

Lix Lorn
2010-06-03, 04:54 PM
The Naked Deal
Emily and Nightwing
Emily was listening carefully to the woman.
Something seemed off.
But how much off?
[roll0]
Sense Motive. Which I should have put ranks in. Bah.

Sliver
2010-06-03, 05:13 PM
The Naked Deal
Emily: Nothing is off.

The man is around 30-40 years old, mediocre hight, a bit overweight. Blond hair, balding a little. Green eyes, a bit sunken. Fancy clothes, a bit colorful, but not too much, mostly green and dark red. Gray-black gloves that do not cover the fingertips, long sleeves. Dark brown sandals.

Neva pulls out a book and starts going through the list, pulling out a small sheet of paper and a pen.

After a while she finishes calculating and speaks up "It comes to around 25 platinum coins, sir. Do you want the watch to be of special design? Or perhaps the scales? We have a special one in stock, alchemical and slightly magical. Depending on the pressure on the plate, the materials inside react differently and the result is shown in straightforward numbers. Only 2 platinum coins, one of a kind at the moment. We have some chaos powder, if you're interested. Magical in nature, creates various special effects, can't be predicted tho. Ol' Fingal's design" she motions at the man.

You believe you recall that Fingal was the first name of a writer and a novice performer.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-03, 05:16 PM
The Naked Deal
Emily and Nightwing
Emily decided that the woman was a little standoffish, but not hiding anything-and Nightwing interrupted.
"How much is this chaos powder?" he asked, flapping forwards and stopping by Daeric's shoulder, to an irritated glance from Emily.

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 05:26 PM
The Naked Deal

Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
"Fingal, you say?" *looks back at the man* "I believe I've heard that name before. Fingal, good man, perchance are you a writer and performer?"
Daeric turns back to Neva to continue their transaction.
"Could you please write the costs of the objects individually? I'm afraid I am just short of your asking price. No matter how much money I bring with me to market, I never seem to have enough. It's a family curse." He grins.

Khosan
2010-06-03, 05:27 PM
Osidi suddenly jerks to a stop in his tracks and throws his arms in the air, "Not hurt! Nonono, not hurt, not hurt. You Natalie? Have questions. Could help."

Sliver
2010-06-03, 05:34 PM
The Naked Deal
"It's based on the simple spell apprentice wizards learn" explains the man "But much more exciting and flashy. One of my best designs yet!"

"A familiar?" Neva looks intrigued by the talking bird "A platinum coin. It's enough for 10 uses but..." she looks at the man, who continues speaking again.

"Just take a pinch and throw. You can take more or less, increasing or decreasing the effect accordinly... Never tried to use more than double the advised amount tho.. I wond-" "No" Neva cuts him off. He pulls out a small pouch and draws the powder out, showing you the advised amount. The powder is actually shifting it's color constantly. He throws it up as it suddenly turns into a cloud of slightly flaming butterflies, before vanishing after a few seconds. It still caused the cat to leap around, trying to catch the butterflies.

He turns to Daeric "Yeah, that's me" he smiles.

Neva shows you the sheet of paper.
Scale, 2gp. Available in special design. Alternatively, 2pp for the unique one.
Smokestick, 2, 4pp.
Tindertwig, 4, 4gp.
Pocket watch 8pp. Available in special design.
Thieves tools, 3pp
Magnifying glass, 10pp. Available in special design.

The Docks
"No, I'm not her" The woman looks around, clearly not calmed "Who are you? You can't help! They're after me!"

Khosan
2010-06-03, 06:10 PM
"Osidi. Osidi Copperscale. Personal servant for hire." Osidi points at Dog, "This Dog. Not a fighter. Good worker. Helps clean. Very friendly." Osidi taps the bandage on the side of his head, "But know fighting. Worked with mercenaries. Not always fighting." The Kobold shakes his head, "Getting ahead, too far, too far. After you? Who? Could stall, obstruct, stop, hurt. Why chase?"

Sliver
2010-06-03, 06:13 PM
The Docks, Osidi
"They know..." The woman gasps "I know... I saw! They followed that old beggar, Moe! Murdered him!" she starts crying again

Chrono22
2010-06-03, 06:23 PM
The Naked Deal
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
"I'm afraid I'll have to pass you up on the special designs and the magnifying glass." Daeric takes 15 platinum coins and 6 gold coins out of his coinpurse to purchase a set of scales, 4 tindertwigs, 2 smokesticks, a wind-up pocket watch, and a set of thieves' tools.
"May I keep this? *motions to the piece of paper*
"I intend to return, but I'm liable to forget your prices."
Eventually my shadow will return to me. Having only a strength score of 1, he won't be able to carry much more than a small object or document. I plan for him to simply flow under the desk and into my clothes, and to store the object in one of the interior pockets lining my overcoat.
Here's his sleight of hand and hide check, if they are necessary.
Sleight of Hand [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Lix Lorn
2010-06-03, 06:31 PM
The Naked Deal
Emily and Nightwing
"We'll take five." announced the raven.
Emily scowled, and signed something to him.
"Look, trust me on this."
She glared at the bird, and signed again.
"I know where your money is."
She threw up her hands in overdramatic despair, and he dipped into a pouch at her side for several coins, just about carrying them to the woman.
"Five, please."

Owrtho
2010-06-03, 07:28 PM
The Docks, Shageki
Hearing mention of someone called Moe, Shageki makes his way over.
"Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear, you mention someone called Moe? You see, I'm looking for a fellow called Musty Moe. I'm a rumourmonger by trade, and a few days back he asked me to look into something for him. The odd thing is I haven't managed to find him since. Quite a nuisance really as it took some effort to get the information, and it would be troublesome not to be recompensed. That said, have either of you heard of anything unusual or of note happening recently? I'd be willing to trade or pay for any such information."
Bluff check [roll0] on the bluff about having met Moe.
Diplomacy check [roll1] on convincing them to tell me any other information they have (including synergy bonus from profession rumourmonger).
Sense Motive check [roll2] on anything they say, being wary of the chance that they might try to lie (not sure if that gets a synergy bonus).

Owrtho

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 07:37 PM
The Drunken Light

Uago was about to reprimand the hostile brat before he spotted his partner. He reluctantly stood, plucking children off his arms and promising to return swiftly, before striding over to her. "Found something?" He asked, simply as he came to her.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 08:10 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Speaking quietly but urgently, "The girl, Caryl, she ran away after being accused of blasphemy and heresy. We have to find her! The caretaker, she said she'd had a friend, but they stopped talking before the weirdness started. But maybe Caryl said something or he'll know where she'd run, so I'm going in there and talking to him."

Admiral Squish
2010-06-03, 08:17 PM
The Drunken Light

"The boss kid here seems convinced she's a witch of some sort, and that knowing her will drag them to hell." He explained. "Terrible stuff. Do you want me to come with you when you talk to the kid? I doubt these kids will give me any information that we can use."

DragoonWraith
2010-06-03, 08:19 PM
The Drunken Light
"If you wish to. She cannot possibly be a witch at her age, I just don't believe that."

Sliver
2010-06-04, 01:44 AM
The Naked Deal
Neva nods "In a moment" she adds something to the paper and a few more markings as she pokes her cat. Suddenly, the cat starts transforming into a teenager. "Be rrrrright back" he purrs as he leaps off the counter and takes the sheet of paper, starting to go through the cabins and off into random rooms.

The shadow returns with nothing.

After a minute, the kid comes with 5 pouches of chaos powder, 4 tindertwigs, 2 smokesticks, a wind-up pocket watch and a set of basic thieves' tools. Neva hands you the sheet of paper while she takes Daeric's 15.6 platinum coins and Emiliy's five. The kid leaps at the counter, turning to cat midway.

The Docks
"He was with us a hour ago, but suddenly took off.. Then, a woman passed us in panic, kept watching back and sobbing, saying they got Moe. Couldn't stop her to explain herself... She went that way, if you care." the man points towards the way you came from.

The Drunken Light
You decide to enter the house together, and it is exactly as you would expect. It's in bad shape, and even with at least half the kids outside, it feels too crowded. Asking around, you quickly discover that Flint is on the upper floor, and you head there.

You find in a little room, the only one who is so empty, a child and a girl. The child is around 7 years old, the girl is around 12. She looks sadly at the child before noticing you "Who are you? Flint doesn't wish to talk to you" she says, trying to sound strong, but failing.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 01:50 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
Aicanique tries to smile reassuringly. "Now, I'm sure Flint can speak for himself. Don't worry, we're not going to hurt anyone, we just want to help. You can stay if you like," she tells the girl.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 01:58 AM
The Drunken Light
The girl continues to speak for Flint "Help? We know what help you offer! All you care about is to cleanse the world, you don't care about what is left to live in it!" The girl gets carried away, tears forming "We know how the Silver Flame works, everybody does. Cyril might have abandoned us, thinks she doesn't care, but she is still his friend and he won't betray her."

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 02:16 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
Aicanique smiles sadly, taking off her Silver Flame pendant, looking at it forlornly. She grimaces, and gently places it down somewhere convenient. "I'm not like them. I know, I wear the Flame, but I was not sent by the church. In fact, the church hunts me as well, despite my faith. That is why we must find Caryl; if anyone can teach her how to... deal with this... I think it would be me."

Khosan
2010-06-04, 02:21 AM
Osidi sighs and rubs his forehead with the back of his hand. "So many questions, questions, questions. Frustrating, very very frustrated. Was looking for Moe. Needed Moe. Needed to ask questions." Osidi clenches and unclenches his fists in rapid succession, "Need answers. Will get them. Will. Going to be civil. Moe killed, by who, when, where, how? Would ask 'why' but doubt you know."

Sliver
2010-06-04, 02:28 AM
The Drunken Light
The girl starts "Do you think it ch-" but she stops as she feels Flint's arm on her shoulder. "It's alright" he says with a shake voice.

"A few months ago" his voice grows steadier "Cyril and I were playing outside in the street when a man approached her. He was bad, I felt it there, I know it now. He used every trick he could on Cyril. He promised to bring her to her parents, that she will be safe and healthy, that she will have a home and a room to herself, good toys... He didn't say he wanted anything in return, but he did... I told her he was lying, he won't do anything for her, but she refused to listen to me. She started reading a book... She didn't read before, didn't know how. She refused to talk to me anymore, said the man told her I wanted to take her happiness for myself. She started doing some rituals, I overheard her speaking with her teddy, saying she was calling spirits like hers, orphans from afar, stranded and without a home. Vestiges, I think. When Mirria went to ask the Silver Flame about Cyril, the man contacted her and told her to flee. The priests searched her room but found nothing because... I hid the book."

The Docks, Osidi
"I don't know." The woman sobs "They were hooded and I saw them only from behind, following Moe. When he turned, they followed and I couldn't see them until I approached and saw him dead, and they were gone." she points down the street "When you reach The Drowsy Elf bakery, continue, skip a split and turn left on the next, go down that way and you will find him"

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 02:30 AM
The Docks, Shageki
"I thank you for the information. Have you happened to hear of anything unusual going on around here otherwise? Also, what direction did the woman come from, and what did she look like?"
Diplomacy check [roll0] on convincing them to tell me any other information they have, including information that is unrelated to Moe.
Sense Motive check [roll1] Still suspicious as a matter of profession.

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-06-04, 02:38 AM
The Docks, Shageki
"She came from there" he points down the street, you see a bakery with the sign "The Drowsy Elf" at the distance "Besides her and the crow thing everybody knows about, nothing really. We're sailors bird... sir..." he shuffles awkwardly "When we dock we care about the ale more than the stories."

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 02:39 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
"I don't know anything about the rituals, though I'd say you can't judge a book by it's cover. A man, you can judge much better - and I suspect you are right. Whatever evil there is, it is fault, not hers, and I shall ensure no harm comes to her for it, if I can. Please, can you think where she might go? And might I take the book? At the very least, that way you can't get caught with it..."

[roll0]

OK, not enough to know about Vestiges

Sliver
2010-06-04, 02:41 AM
Dragoon:With your background, you know the basic works of binders and vestiges.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 02:45 AM
OK, I was just using Tome of Magic's numbers. Which I know off the top of my head these days because of my work on the Midnight Occultist.

Anyway, in that case, is there anything about Binders and Vestiges that is inherently evil in the setting, or is it as described in Tome of Magic?

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 02:50 AM
The Docks, Shageki
"Then I'll be on my way. Thank you for the assistance."
With that Shageki continues down the alley to The Drowsy Elf and looks around. If there are allies or the like on either side of the building he goes around to look for any windows or back doors (starting from the left side if there are allies on both sides). If there is a window, he will stop and attempt to look in and listen. If a door he will attempt to listen. If he hears and sees nothing unusual he will then attempt to enter through the front door. If there are no back doors or side windows, he will attempt to listen at the front door.
Spot at window [roll0]
Listen at window [roll1]
Listen at door [roll2]

Owrtho

Khosan
2010-06-04, 02:51 AM
Osidi nods at each step of the directions the woman gives him. "Thank you. If they follow you, will intercept, stall, stop, obstruct, delay, best as possible. Go to guards. Tell everything. Safest when surrounded." Osidi would tentatively pat her side as he jogs off in the direction she pointed him.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 03:12 AM
The Docks
Shageki doesn't find anything at the bakery and it looks quite normal. As he goes to open the door, he sees Osidi jogging towards him.

DragoonBinders aren't inherently, but many deities abhor them and the vestiges, and some organizations, such as the Silver (for some reason I always go to write Sliver) Flame, openly hunt binders. Generally, Binders are even more hated than necromancers.

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 03:24 AM
The Docks, Shageki
Seeing Osidi coming, Shageki waits for him to catch up and asks.
"Ah, Osidi, what brings you here? Did you find out about Moe?"

Owrtho

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 03:57 AM
As in Tome of Magic then. OK. Err... that being the case, I think I'll stick with what I said to the boy earlier, since Aicanique would know the Church's teachings but also know her own situation and have her doubts, and therefore her statement to the boy was essentially true. So yeah, what's the kid got to say to that?

Sliver
2010-06-04, 04:03 AM
The Drunken Light
Just missed the edit...

The kid starts to draw a book from under the bed, but the girl looks worried "Are you sure about that?" "No" he replies "but there is nothing we can do for her." Flint hands you the book* as he continues "We had a little hideout in a small cave. The only way in is by swimming underwater, but I don't know... She changes a lot since then, and if the man told her where to go... I could show you how to get to the cave if you want."

Chrono22
2010-06-04, 06:03 AM
The Naked Deal
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
"Thank you. Oh, look at the time!" He looks at the face of his unwound watch.
"It's already noon, we've tarried much too long. Farewell!"
And with that, Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III makes his exit.
After walking some distance from the shop, he engages Emily in conversation.
"Those folks are more dangerous than they look... Fingal's inventions might have seemed harmless frivolities, but even such simple objects require a certain magical prowess. As for the transforming cat- I'd suspected the cat wasn't normal, but I definitely wasn't expecting him to be a shape-shifter. Neva herself- she seems the type to be dangerous to cross."
As they continue walking, Daeric looks over his shoulder.
Spot [roll0]
If Daeric doesn't see any followers, he'll drop the gnomish disguise and retake his natural appearance.
"I suppose you'd think we didn't learn much in there. And yes, I suppose we didn't learn much directly about the crow-killings. But at least now we have some a bit more leverage should we decide to confront them again. This, for example." Daeric pulls out the note with the items listed upon it. "I'm no great shakes at forgery, but I think I could construct a fairly convincing note to Fingal. He seems to be easy to intimidate; if we can get him alone, we can make that performer sing." Daeric winces when he realizes something.
"It's too bad, though. I can't go back to The Naked Deal if I'm not disguised as the gnome. Mr. Cat surely got a good whiff of my scent. He'll know something is up if I go back as someone else."
Daeric looks at his shadow. "As for you. I am very, very disappointed. Was there really nothing worth bringing back in that desk?"

I'm asking my shadow for a response, as best he can, given we're walking. This could be hand motions, gestures (nodding, shaking of the head). Is he totally amorphous? If that's the case, can he simply form words with his body? If he isn't amorphous, is he my character in profile?
I'm assuming you just forgot to include the scales in your post listing what Mr. Cat brought, so I'll just add that along with the stuff you mentioned to my equipment.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 06:09 AM
Outside The Naked Deal
The shadow points towards the paper in your hand, then stretches his arms in opposite directions. Then, he curls up and pretends to sleep.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-04, 11:16 AM
Outside the Naked Deal
Emily and Nightwing
Emily nodded in agreement.
"Hey, at least we got some interesting goods out of it." said Nightwing.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 11:46 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
"We would like that very much, Flint, thank you.

And miss, I didn't get your name... but thank you for protecting Flint. It's important to have friends. Just remember than Caryl needs friends now, too."

Sliver
2010-06-04, 12:50 PM
The Drunken Light
"I don't think Mirria will like me to leave with you without permission..." Flint says.

The girl doesn't reply, simply looking away.

The Naked Deal
What now? :smallamused:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 01:04 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
"Indeed, we will see what we can do. Thank you again, I'll be back in a moment after I talk with Mirria."

Stepping out of the room, Aicanique asks Uago, "Do we risk her not giving us permission, or do we attempt something more drastic? We need Flint to show us where this cave is."

Khosan
2010-06-04, 01:05 PM
Osidi jogs straight past Shageki, "See Drowsy Elf, continue, skip split, left on next." Osidi turns around briefly, jogging backwards, "Moe dead, finding body now."

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 02:06 PM
The Docks, Shageki
"Well then let us have a look."
With that Shageki proceeds to follow Osidi's instructions for finding the location of Moe's body, moving at full speed to get there ahead of him. Upon reaching just outside the location (assuming that nothing has happened before hand) he stops to listen at the entrance to the alley.
Listen [roll0]

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-06-04, 02:18 PM
The Docks
You slowly walk into the narrow alley. Cats are burrowing through the trash, flies swarm sacks, and it stinks. You see another turn further down and as you approach, you see a body lying there.

It's arms and legs are hardly connected to the torso, broken in a few places. The eyes were pierced and his mouth was gagged, the throat was slit and he was stabbed all over. Considering the woman said she went after them quickly and they were already gone, they must have done a really quick job.

You notice a crumbled piece of paper clutched in his arm.

Chrono22
2010-06-04, 02:19 PM
The Naked Deal -> The Streets
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
"Shall we head to The Lost Habitat next? I'm getting kind of hungry."

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 02:40 PM
The Docks, Shageki
Shageki looks around to see if anyone is present. If not he approaches the body and searches it looking for any clues as to what might have happened.
spot [roll0]
search [roll1]

Owrtho

Lix Lorn
2010-06-04, 02:41 PM
The Naked Deal > The Streets
Emily and Nightwing
Emily nodded, and Nightwing gave an affirmative caw.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 02:46 PM
The Streets
As you move deeper into the docks towards The Lost Habitat, you notice Shageki and Osidi in one of the alleys.

The Docks
You think that the crushed bones, gouged eyes, gagged mouth, slashed throat and many stabs are a solid indicator to what have happened. A heal check might be more appropriate.

Also, there is that crumbled piece of paper in it's hand.

Khosan
2010-06-04, 02:54 PM
Osidi stares at the body for a moment. "Expected. No, not expected. Expected when told, but hoped for less. Useless. No dead speak." The Kobold takes his glasses from his backpack and puts them on, glancing around at the scene, "Idea. Know what speaks though. Not expected, not seen, ignored. Little things, tiny things, watch and see what happened." Osidi's hand briefly glows a greenish brown color.

Osidi casts Guidance on himself.

Spot - [roll0], looking for any sort of animal life in particular

Sliver
2010-06-04, 02:58 PM
The Docks
"any sort of animal life in particular"? :smallconfused:

Besides the regular animals, there isn't anything that catches your attention.

Khosan
2010-06-04, 03:11 PM
The Docks
OOC:

Osidi's got Speak with Animals prepared, so he's looking for something that probably would have been there a while. Cat, dog, or maybe a rat.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 03:14 PM
There are cats and rats around, but they seem to be more interested in their meal, and non of them is around that turn, but at the alley you just left. You could try tho...

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 03:52 PM
The Docks
Shageki takes the note in Moe's hand as well as any other possessions that look like they might have value or worth. He then un-crumples the note to look at it.

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-06-04, 03:55 PM
The Docks:
The note reads:
"We know you hired this fool to follow us, old man. Mind your own business or your fate will be worse than his. We offer you a chance to join us, last time, meet us at-" the rest of the paper is folded and glued a bit from the blood, but you could open it if you are careful enough.

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 03:59 PM
The Docks
Shageki attempts to open the note and read it.
Proper check, whatever it is [roll0]+x

Owrtho

Admiral Squish
2010-06-04, 04:00 PM
The Drunken Light

Uago thinks for a moment. "Why settle for one? We ask permission nicely, perhaps flash the badges we got from the half-orc. If all else fails, it wouldn't be hard by a longshot to arrange a covert escape." He replied.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 04:03 PM
The Docks
"No Deal. Enjoy"

The runes flare up and explode in your hands, catching Osidi and the body of the beggar in the explosion.

[roll0] force damage. Osidi can make a Reflex save (DC 18) to halve the damage.

The body seems to have blasted apart by the explosion, peaces flying everywhere.

Shageki is blasted back and slams into the wall behind him, sliding to the floor.

Khosan
2010-06-04, 04:06 PM
Osidi leaps for cover in a garbage pile.

Reflex (Guidance expended) [roll0]

Osidi leaps, but is too slow to avoid the blast, getting knocked into the wall above the garbage pile he'd aimed for before sliding down into the muck anyway. The Kobold rolls out of the garbage, gasping for breath, holding his chest and head. "Useless now. Nothing gained. Animals gone, can't ask, would have run." Osidi closes his eyes and focuses, "Not lost yet. One idea. Hope for best. Could work, could work." The air around Osidi pulses and shimmers briefly.

Osidi activates his Draconic Aura, Vigor

Chrono22
2010-06-04, 04:38 PM
The Docks
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
The explosion causes Daeric to flinch slightly. When the dust clears, and he sees his allies are unharmed, he gets an idea. The people in the area would probably notice the dead body parts lying around, and the explosion would get their attention. Daeric uses his disguise self ability to make himself appear to be a city guard.
Disguise check [roll0]
He then approaches his two allies in the alley.
"Stop right there, criminal scum! You've violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit."
:smallbiggrin:

Owrtho
2010-06-04, 04:44 PM
The Docks
Under the influence of Osisi's ability, Shageki regains conciousness, though still feels rather groggy. Hearing the guard, he glances up and sees a small crowed. After a moment of thought he decides to ignore them and the guard for the moment and focus on the situation at hand. If need be he can always use that badge, and if that doesn't work he has other things that might.
"Well now, thats not something I'd like to experiance again. I knew I had a bad feeling about that thing. Still I did see what it said. Mentioned a meeting at No Deal. Could be a false lead, but should look into it."
Shageki takes a moment to look around.
"Well, doesn't look like there's much left to learn here. Lets take the body and go back to my place. I'll lead the way."
With that Shageki gets up, wincing as he does so, an goes to grab a few pieces of the corpse.

Owrtho

Khosan
2010-06-04, 04:46 PM
Osidi stares at the 'guard', scrambling to put his glasses back on to make sure he's not seeing things. "Not leaving. Can't leave. Yet, not yet. Work to do. Need to find Moe. Moe's track." Osidi lets out a sharp whistle, signaling for Dog to come.

Spot - [roll0]

Lix Lorn
2010-06-04, 04:47 PM
The Docks
Emily and Nightwing
Emily rolled her eyes and watched from a distance. Nightwing gave a snort of amusement.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 04:48 PM

Should I mention at this point that you never heard of an existance of a place named No Deal, and it was probably just a trap to make you read the explosive runes?

What is Osidi trying to find? All the leftovers of the body?

Khosan
2010-06-04, 04:51 PM
Osidi's got a dog who can track by scent. So he wants to try and track where Moe came from. Sort of a last shot, "Well everything else failed, maybe this won't lead to a tavern" type of thing.

Sliver
2010-06-04, 04:54 PM
With the entire place littered with Moe, it's too hard to pinpoint the origin.

Chrono22
2010-06-04, 05:02 PM
The Docks
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
The city guard takes up a position at the end of the alley near the street.
"Nothing to see here. Move along."

What does the paper look like? Is it parchment or something cheaper? Is the writing elegant and professional, or is it just a scrawl?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 05:10 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
"Ah, the badges; I'd forgotten about those. Yes, why don't you go ask her? I'm afraid she'll notice my Silver Flame medallion and assume we're with them... she may have already, but maybe not. I'll stay here with the children."

Returning to the room, Aicanique crouches down to be more at eye level with the children. "OK, my friend's going to go ask Mirria if you can show us the cave. Would you mind letting me see the book? I really don't want you getting caught with it if it's going to get you in trouble, not after you've been so brave, hiding it like that." Aicanique also picks up her Silver Flame medallion, and stows it away, hidden.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-04, 07:54 PM
The Drunken Light

Uago nods. "Sounds like a plan. But I think we should arrange our plan B before I go talk to her. She might just throw us out altogether, and I don't have the heart to knock out an old lady, no matter how good the cause." He explained.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-04, 08:02 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique
(presumed to be before going back inside to talk with Flint and the girl)
"Surely with that badge you can press her enough to get her to allow it. Vague threats about the possibility of her being held responsible for Caryl's disappearance, or the possibility of the orphanage being closed, will probably force her. I don't want to do that, but this is more important than what we want. The boy even wishes to do so; tell her that. Just, don't take no for an answer. And don't let her come, either! I don't want to disclose this child's secrets to her."

Sliver
2010-06-05, 07:50 AM
The Docks
As the disguised Daeric attempted to disperse the gathering curious crowd, Shageki doesn't recognize him.

The Drunken Light
Flint pulls out an item wrapped in cloth, the book, and hands it to you. You remove the cloth to see a plain black cover, but the book is cold. Freezing, much colder than you. You instantly feel an icy shock pass through your hands.

Give me a fort save.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-05, 10:21 AM
Ironically, that's my best.
[roll0]

Sliver
2010-06-05, 01:13 PM
The Drunken Light
After the initial shock (1 non lethal cold damage) you feel the cold sensation pass with no lasting effects.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-05, 02:11 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique quietly casts Detect Magic (as a Spell Weaver spell), trying to play off the gestures and words as a quick prayer.

Sliver
2010-06-05, 02:14 PM
The Drunken Light
Flint glances at you as your eyes glow weakly with the magic. There indeed is a presence of magical auras.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-05, 02:18 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique continues concentrating, particularly at the boy, the girl, and the book, in that order.

Sliver
2010-06-05, 02:22 PM
The Drunken Light
After a while you discover the presence of two auras in your line of sight, and that at least one is of moderate power. Oddly the girl darts past you and out of the room before you can react, telling Flint she needs to take care of something, to which Flint only nods.

The book is the one that is surrounded by a moderate magical aura, the second aura is, shockingly, gone.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-05, 02:27 PM
Aicanique Nárcala
Uh... OK, as soon as she started moving/saying she was leaving, Aicanique would have tried to stop her and called to Uago to do the same. That would be, ya know, suspicious activity numero uno at that point.

Sliver
2010-06-05, 02:29 PM
The Drunken Light
Uago can try to stop her outside, but she bolted before you had a chance to react.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-05, 02:37 PM
The Drunken Light
Then Aicanique would be after her, I'd think... Can't imagine a 12 year old running faster than she.

Khosan
2010-06-05, 04:20 PM
Osidi stares at the encroaching crowd then at the guard. "Not good, not good. Bad idea, bad idea. Bad, bad, bad. Need to leave. Can't stay, can't stay, no no no. Later, maybe, have to try." Osidi pats the side of his head and points at Shageki, "Get you next time, Bird man!" Osidi throws his arms into the air, summoning up a thick fog around him. With that, Osidi slowly works his way out of the mist, away from the crowd and deeper into the alley.

[roll0] Osidi tries to Bluff the crowd into believing he's the criminal

Osidi casts Obscuring Mist

Chrono22
2010-06-05, 04:26 PM
The Docks
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
The city guard addresses the assembling crowd.
"Please move along for your own safety. The Scarlet Splatter is highly contagious. Contact with blood, tissue or even the air around a contaminated subject can cause lethal explosions as your internal organs spontaneously combust. But don't worry, we've got the situation under contro-"
The guard grabs his chest and fakes extreme pain.
Bluff (taking ten) [23]

Admiral Squish
2010-06-05, 04:58 PM
The Drunken Light

Uago nods and starts off to go talk to the woman. But then he hears a shout from the room, and sees the little girl darting past. He moves quickly, grabbing for the little girl and trying to hoist her airborne.

I'm guessing grapple check or something along those lines?
[roll0]

Owrtho
2010-06-05, 05:10 PM
The Docks
Hearing the guard's lie, Shageki decides to play along for the sake of dispersing the crowd. He begins to mimic the sound of a rupturing organ and doubles over, facing away from the crowd.
for sound Bluff see ooc
to fake injury Bluff see ooc

Owrtho

Chrono22
2010-06-05, 06:22 PM
The Docks
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric attempts to conceal his casting (23 on bluff check). He uses silent image to make it appear as though the city guard is exploding outward in a torrent of flesh and blood. While surrounded by the explosion, Daeric hides.

[roll0]
He maintains concentration on the spell if any of the people in the crowd remain, and on the following round uses the silent image to make it appear as though people within the crowd are exploding.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-05, 07:10 PM
The Docks
Emily and Nightwing
Emily watched in a kind of amused irritation. Nightwing stifled a chuckle under his wing, and they remained at a decent distance.

Sliver
2010-06-05, 11:43 PM
The Docks
At first the people just step away from the fake guard, but with the explosions, they start running away in terror, some screaming for the guards, some run towards the temples.

Both the main alley and the inner one don't stop in a dead end right away, but you can't tell if you can exit that way. You could always take it to the roofs, they are between 9ft and 18ft high.

The Drunken Light
The girl proves to be as fast as any adult, perhaps faster. She darts out the door and spots Uago, which in turn swings clumsily to catch her. Without losing stride, she catches his hand and shakes it with a smile "Gotta go." she says and continues down the stairs.

Owrtho
2010-06-06, 01:06 AM
The Docks
Seeing the people depart, Shageki resumes his gathering of the corpse parts till he has about 2 pounds of it. He walks to the lowest roof nearby and jumps up catching it and attempts to pull himself up.
Jump 1 foot to grab 9 foot roof (DC 8 for standing jump)
Pulling self up (DC 15 climb check) [roll] 1d20+1

Owrtho

Chrono22
2010-06-06, 01:48 AM
The Docks
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric drops his guard disguise, but continues hiding as he returns to Emily across the street.
Hide [roll0]
He also maintains his concentration on the silent image- Daeric changes it so that it appears as though a building occupies the space the alley once stood.
He speaks as he reappears next to Emily.
"Explosions, daring escapes, confused guards, and general disorder." Daeric sighs, then smiles. "It's good to be home. How about that dinner?"
He'll continue maintaining his concentration on the spell until he reaches the limits of its range (480 ft). Assuming we walk about 30 ft. a round, that means the illusion should last for another 16 rounds (1.6 minutes).

Khosan
2010-06-06, 02:49 AM
Osidi continues to stumble around the back alleys, dirty, annoyed and still a little dazed from the blast. "Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. Filthy!" Osidi throws his arms into the air and frantically starts swiping at his breastplate, trying to clean it off. The dirt and grime from the garbage steadily turns to small tendrils of smoke as its eaten away by a small layer of acid. "Hatehatehatehatehatehate HATE! Filthy! Filthy! Out, out, have to get out!"

Osidi swaps his Draconic Aura from Vigor to Energy Shield. He also starts Searching for a way out.

Search - [roll0]

Owrtho
2010-06-06, 03:14 AM
The Docks
Upon climbing on top of the roof, Shageki starts to survey his surrounding.

Owrtho

Sliver
2010-06-06, 03:20 AM
The Docks
As you ready yourself to move deeper, you hear from the shadows ahead a voice. "What are you doing?"

Wrapped in shadows, the creature moves towards you, his steps are so silent you feel like it is almost draining the sound from around you, silencing everything. A bizarre creature is revealed - shaped almost like a large cat standing tall, but covered in metallic scales, hinged at one end so they stand on end much like a beast's fur might. The head is mostly humanoid, but the lower jaw juts out, and is is little more than a serrated blade encircling the upper jaw. Further, around the head is the pale blue ethereal image of a frost worm's head, with long pincers extending down from his own jaw. His limbs, too, are surrounded in blue, this much more solid, forming claws on his hands and feet. The construct's eyes, too, glow blue, and it looks at the group as it addresses them.

Owrtho
2010-06-06, 03:38 AM
The Docks
Hearing the voice, Shageki attempts to hide in case it has yet to see him at watches the situation from above, paying close attention to the newcomer.
Hide [roll0]
Sense Motive [roll1]
Knowledge (local) to see if he remembers having heard of anything that might be related to the newcomer [roll2]

Owrtho

Admiral Squish
2010-06-06, 08:07 AM
The Drunken Light

Uago turns, leaping down the stairs after her and pursues at full speed.

Sliver
2010-06-06, 08:11 AM
The Drunken Light
As Uago leaps down the stairs and turns to chase after the girl, he notices she is gone. The door out of the house doesn't seem to have been opened. The woman that told you about Flint, Mirria, glances at you, confused "Is anything wrong?"

DragoonWraith
2010-06-06, 10:58 AM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique, seeing Uago after the girl, turns around and returns to Flint as quickly as she can. "Flint, who was that girl?" she asks, not yelling but also being very clear that this was a question that he must answer.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-06, 12:14 PM
The Docks
Emily and Nightwing
"Good luck with that." muttered Nightwing to Daeric. He fluttered over to the man's shoulder, sitting upon it, and whispered. "She's not the most social..."

Sliver
2010-06-06, 12:45 PM
Shageki doesn't recognize the new character.

The Drunken Light
Flint shrugs "She isn't from here... She came a bit after Cyril left, trying to cheer me up a bit, be there so I won't feel alone.. She talked to me, a lot. Didn't stop until you got here. She sensed I didn't want to talk, so it was one sided mostly. She told me stories about gods, about other lives, some that she experienced before... Before she was reborn. She said that the other planes, when you come to rest by your deity's light, are great. She told me a lot about them, but then she blushed, shook her head and said that even though it sounds great and now I feel bad, I shouldn't think about ending it, that it will ruin everything and I should keep living. She told me about her training, that one day she will be officially called an avatar. She didn't tell me what it is, but she was really excited about it..."

DragoonWraithDid you read my the docks post earlier? The one after Khosan's :smallsmile:

DragoonWraith
2010-06-06, 12:58 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
"Flint, did you ever touch the book? Like, without the wrapping on it."

OOC:

Did you read my the docks post earlier? The one after Khosan's :smallsmile:
I actually haven't read any of the posts by or addressed to anyone but those of us at the Drunken Light. Why? Which one are you referring to?

Sliver
2010-06-06, 01:01 PM
The Drunken Light
"When I first found it... I think you are tougher than me..." He looks away embarrassed "I felt extremely weak after that. I dropped the book immediately after the shock tho. The book glowed for a moment when I felt the weakness, but it went silent. The girl did something to make me better... She waved her hands slightly and said something I didn't understand."

Dragoon:

As you ready yourself to move deeper, you hear from the shadows ahead a voice. "What are you doing?"

Wrapped in shadows, the creature moves towards you, his steps are so silent you feel like it is almost draining the sound from around you, silencing everything. A bizarre creature is revealed - shaped almost like a large cat standing tall, but covered in metallic scales, hinged at one end so they stand on end much like a beast's fur might. The head is mostly humanoid, but the lower jaw juts out, and is is little more than a serrated blade encircling the upper jaw. Further, around the head is the pale blue ethereal image of a frost worm's head, with long pincers extending down from his own jaw. His limbs, too, are surrounded in blue, this much more solid, forming claws on his hands and feet. The construct's eyes, too, glow blue, and it looks at the group as it addresses them.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-06, 01:09 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
"Uh... Flint, why didn't you tell me the book was cursed? I would have avoided touching it if I had known that," Aicanique smiles re-assuringly, trying to make the boy know she is not angry. "This means Caryl could be in very serious danger, Flint. Cursed tomes like this are rarely a good sign - sometimes they are simply the protections of a paranoid wizard, but usually they speak of Evil. That girl, do you have any idea where she came from, what her name was, where she might have gone?"

OOC:

:biggrin: There needs to be a shocked smiley! That's awesome! Whoo, yay Faernacha!

Sliver
2010-06-06, 01:18 PM
The Drunken Light"I..." He looks down "Don't know. When I thought of the book, it felt like it was slipping away... When I tried to remember that moment, it all felt clouded and distant..."

DragoonI was surprised myself. It just happened. I already start thinking of an actual link to the Snow Prison game. It's quite a good one, I think. You'll see... Didn't get over the thing of just shoving random ideas into the game. It's OK since I almost plan nothing in advance, remember? :smalltongue:

I like it tho... In PBP it isn't felt as much, and I am as intrigued and surprised by the plot advancement as you are.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-06, 01:27 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
"OK, Flint, I think that girl has been casting spells on you, and I'm not convinced all were as wholesome as the one she used to undo the curse. You might be in danger, as well. I think we should go find this cave, now. Will you come with me? We'll explain things to Mirria."

OOC:
Heh, I think I shall have to read what the others have been up to! Sounds awesome!

Sliver
2010-06-06, 01:33 PM
The Drunken Light
Flint shakes his head "No, it wasn't her. It was the book. I know it." HE says with conviction, then adds "I'll come with you"

(Mirria, the woman you talked to earlier, is by the stairs next to Uago)

DragoonWraith
2010-06-06, 01:42 PM
OOC:
I know; I assume we walk over there and meet up with the two of them, where Uago's already been asking about the girl and taking Flint for a walk; I assume we'll have to wait for him to actually have that conversation, though.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-06, 01:43 PM
OOC:
Actually, quick spot check around the room before we leave:
[roll0]

Khosan
2010-06-06, 01:46 PM
Osidi backpedals immediately at the sight of the construct."What? Leaving. Trying to, trying to. Can't find way, no no. But questions, questions, questions. What, what, what? Not sure what, want to, need to, feel like should know, but don't." Osidi stares, equal parts awestruck and confused. "Not normal. Asked question, but didn't attack, not aggressive, not immediately. Not natural, metal scales, jaw like bear trap. Magical. Stay on guard, probably, probably."

Sliver
2010-06-06, 01:49 PM
The Docks
The construct shifts and move silently around you, keeps facing towards you, it's stare fixed upon you, like a predator. Without looking, it motions at the messed up street and the scattered remains of Moe "What did you do?" it hisses.

Dragoon: Nothing.

Khosan
2010-06-06, 02:14 PM
Osidi keeps his eyes trained on the creature, "One spell, one spell. Mist, summoned mist to hide. Was looking, looking for beggar man. Beggar man already dead. Looked more, looked for things which could have seen, would have seen. Cat, dog, rat, maybe bird. Ask question, see if they saw. Then, explosion. Not sure what did, wasn't looking. Trap on corpse? Not sure, could be. Corpse more torn up than me or Bird man. Would have to ask Bird man to know."

Sliver
2010-06-06, 02:17 PM
The DocksThe construct glances sideways, directly at Shageki "Not good. They know... He wasn't a beggar" it turns and starts walking away. Then, it stops for a moment, glances at you sideways, and motions with it's head towards the direction he was headed for, so you'd follow it.

Owrtho
2010-06-06, 03:04 PM
The Docks
Not sure whether to trust the newcomer, Shageki pays attention to his words and actions. As the newcomer turns to leave, Shageki calls down,
"You two may be ready to go, but I really must insist we try to take as much of the corpse as we can. There are those who might let us get information from him yet, and it would be a shame to learn we don't have enough when we find them."
So saying, Shageki then uses his higher vantage point to look out at the alleys in the direction the newcomer was heading, making use of his spyglass to see if what is there.
Sense Motive [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Owrtho

Admiral Squish
2010-06-06, 04:52 PM
The Drunken Light

As he sees the suden lack of the girl, he balls his fist and is ready to punch the wall to relieve his anger. But he stops as he realizes two things, one, that the wall likely wouldn't survive, and two, the woman is there. He relaxes the hand and strides up to her. "Excuse me, Ma'am, but I need to talk to you about something very important." He said, hand drifting to the pouch that held the badge and money given by the guards.

Sliver
2010-06-06, 11:17 PM
The Docks
The construct stops, waiting for you to gather corpse parts, not saying anything. It's hard to read it's intentions. On one hand, it moves, stands and acts like a predator. On the other hand, it seems so unnatural, even for itself.

Ahead of you the Alley continues, splits and turns, there is hardly a way to judge where he wants to lead you.

The Drunken Light
The woman nods but remains silent, waiting for you to continue.

The Lost Habitat
You finally reach the boarding house. It's located in one of the only safe streets at the docks, but near enough the water to enjoy. It's triple story high and looks quite fancy and maintained, and it stands out a lot around here.

Khosan
2010-06-07, 12:58 PM
Osidi stares down the alley they came from, "Why get pieces? Filthy, disgusting. Can get what you want from pieces taken. No need to carry more. Want to leave. Want to leave, leave, leave."

Chrono22
2010-06-07, 07:00 PM
The Lost Habitat
"Good afternoon. Are you taking boarders at this time?"

Sliver
2010-06-08, 01:10 AM
The Lost Habitat
Daeric is determined to say those words as he approaches the house and opens the doors, ignoring the noise inside. "Good af-" he manages to say before he actually sees what happens.

At one side of the room, stands a man in a brown leather coat. His black hair is uncombed and messy, similar to the state of his clothes.

At the other side of the room stands a rich looking man with weird clothes. For the time. It looks like a black business suit. On his sides stand two muscular bald men in leather armor and yellow short pants.

What catches your attention is that the brown coat man points a revolver at the business suit man, and that the yellow shorts men point hand crossbows at the brown coat man.

The brown coat man seems to be shaking with rage, but his revolver is steady as stone in his hand. The business suit man and his body guards seem relaxed.

"Put it down." Says business suit.

"TAKE IT BACK" shouts brown coat, to which business suit only shakes his head.

Chrono22
2010-06-08, 06:15 AM
The Lost Habitat
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Unsure of how to proceed, and with some reservations about getting involved in other peoples' problems, Daeric watches the scene unfold.

Sliver
2010-06-08, 06:18 AM
Chrono
Daeric notices that the shadows behind business suit, the shadows that a moment ago he could see through with his darkvision, now he can't pierce them at all.

Chrono22
2010-06-08, 06:48 AM
The Lost Habitat
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric tries the diplomatic approach. "Come now, gentlemen. Weapons won't solve your dispute, but they can surely end your lives. I don't know your troubles, but I find a nice strong scotch can be the solution to most any problem. Come have a few, my treat."
I'll make a rushed diplomacy check (taking ten [27]). Normally performing rushed diplomacy checks imparts a -10 penalty, but once again soul binding Naberius saves the day- the penalty doesn't apply.
Daeric finds his inability to pierce the shadows odd. Better keep my eyes on that one

Sliver
2010-06-08, 06:54 AM
Chrono:Where did the misc +10 to diplomacy come from?

The Lost Habitat
"He called her a slut!" brown coat spits. "And now the coward hides behind his guards."

Business suit smiles as he draws a pistol from his guard's belt. A fancy one at that, engraved with jewels and the gun barrel looks like a snake.

"Coward?" the man smiles as he targets brown coat.

You notice the shadows shift slightly.

Chrono22
2010-06-08, 07:01 AM
Sliver
Do you mean, that I'm taking 10? That's where it comes from, if that's what you mean.
The Lost Habitat
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric casts obscuring mist, centered on the middle of the room.

Sliver
2010-06-08, 07:06 AM
ChronoNo, I mean the +17 bonus, the +10 part of it from Misc.

The Lost Habitat
The people look at you confused as you cast the spell. As the mist fills the room, you hear someone groans as he is hit by a blunt object.

"He is with him! Shoot the scum!" you hear business suit shout out as a bolt passes next to you.

OOC: I actually rolled double 20 on the attack, but the miss chance from obscuring missed saved you that one.

Chrono22
2010-06-08, 07:34 AM
Sliver
Oh, that. My warlock invocation is called Beguiling Influence. It provides a +6 bonus on intimidation, bluff, and diplomacy checks. The remaining +4 comes from synergy bonuses gained via bluff and sense motive.
The Lost Habitat
"Skum? At least I know how to hold a gun." Laced within his innocuous words are elements of compulsion magics. Daeric is using his command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/command.htm) ability on the suit-wearing, gun-toting maniac. The command is "drop" (Will save DC 14 negates). He then speaks to his shadow companion, "Fetch, boy." the shadow darts forward into the room, toward the suit-wearing pompous fool, and attempts to retrieve the gun he has (hopefully) dropped. If the suited man is still holding the jeweled firearm when Daeric's shadow arrives, it instead attempts a sleight of hand to take the object from his possession.
Daeric hides in plain sight (not that it's really necessary, as the room has filled with mist) and moves to the position he last saw the dirty man.
Daeric's rolls:
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Shadow's rolls:
Hide [roll2]
Sleight of Hand [roll3]

Sliver
2010-06-08, 07:39 AM
The Lost Habitat
You sense confusion from the shadow as you approach the coat man.

He smiles to you as you come into view, seeing through your hiding. "Your aid was not needed, but appreciated nonetheless" he smiles as he slides the jeweled gun into his belt.

"Master?" you hear a young female voice from his other side.

"In a sec." he replies.

Chrono22
2010-06-08, 03:49 PM
The Lost Habitat
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
""It's always a pleasure to know I can help." Daeric is unsure whether this coated figure can be trusted, but he isn't one to leave opportunity knocking at the door. Daeric continues hiding and moving silently as he approaches the suit-wearing man.
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Admiral Squish
2010-06-08, 04:16 PM
The Drunken Light

He reached into the pouch and produced the badge, flashing it briefly for her. "Me and my partner are working with the guard to investigate the recent events involving piles of dead crows. We beleive they may be being used in some sort of evil ritual." He explained. "Flint has mentioned a cave that we believe needs to be investigated, but we need your permission for him to leave so he can show us where it is."

Sliver
2010-06-08, 04:19 PM
The Lost Habitat
You see the suit man and his guards looking around.

The Drunken Light
She looks at you, confused "How is he connected to all this?"

Admiral Squish
2010-06-08, 04:41 PM
the Drunken Light

"Well, he's not, but we believe that Caryl might be, and this cave is our strongest lead on finding her." He explained.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-08, 04:42 PM
The Drunken Light
Aicanique Nárcala
Aicanique, overhearing as she comes towards them with Flint, says, "The guard has reason to believe Caryl is involved. I, personally, have reason to believe that both Caryl and Flint are in considerable danger, which means we must investigate as quickly as possible. Flint claims to be able to show us this cave, and further I'm not sure he is safe here. Do you know who the girl who has been speaking with Flint is? She's been here quite some time, since Caryl left, but Flint does not know her name, and I know she's been casting spells on him."

Chrono22
2010-06-08, 06:17 PM
The Lost Habitat
You mentioned that Business Suit removed the pistol from a belt of one of his gaurds. Does the other guard also have such a firearm? Were there other people in the room, and have have they left, or are they in the process of leaving?
Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
Daeric looks at the three to locate any obvious valuables they may be carrying. He also attempts to improve his hiding.
Hide [roll0]

Owrtho
2010-06-08, 08:37 PM
The Docks
"I would that that were the case, but unfortuanately most methods of obtaining information from a corpse require at least half the body as a focus."

Owrtho

Khosan
2010-06-09, 12:31 AM
Osidi waves his arms dismissively, "Fine, fine, fine. Won't carry. Can't carry, cannot cannot cannot. Could get Dog to pull, but lost. Maybe spooked by explosions." Osidi's head sinks, "Don't like this, no no no. Not a good feeling, no, not at all." Osidi takes a few steps back the way he came, stopping at a corner to make a loud, low-pitched, somewhat disconcerting sound that could best be described as a hiss combined with a guttural rattle.

Osidi coughs. "Sorry. Way to get Dog's attention. Normal for me, know it's not a good sound."

Sliver
2010-06-09, 12:54 AM
The Lost Habitat
No, only one held the gun for Business Suit, which will be known from now on as BS. There were other people in the room, but you don't see them through the mist as you move. (the room was larger than possible to fill entirely)

BS doesn't carry anything visible, while the guards are just that. Unless you want their hand crossbows...

Emily should respond at The lost Habitat....

The Drunken Light
"What girl?" Mirria frowns at Flint, who only looks away "I didn't see him with anyone. But if you are going to find Cyril, then I will allow. Just tell me where to find you so I can inform the Silver Flame. I'm sure they would wish to join you.."

The Docks
The construct seems impatient as Dog moves past him towards her master.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-09, 06:30 AM
:smalleek: I got confused and didn't see I was there. Sorry! Plus... I have no idea what to actually do.

The Lost Habitat
Emily was confused. So quickly, it had gone from angry words to a cloud of mist, and she was still outside the door.
She concentrated on Daeric, and tried to speak to him.
Missive, range 30ft, ten words.
"Daeric, this is Emily. What is going on?" she 'said', highly irritated-and, as previously mentioned, confused.