PDA

View Full Version : Benelephant and Malelephant

Silverscale
2010-05-29, 06:53 PM
I got the idea for a couple of new monsters yesterday when my friend was a little drink and tried to say Benevolent and instead said Benelephant.

I'm not very good at home-brewing monsters but the image I have in my head for these is basically that a Benelephant is a humanoid elephant with the celestial template, and the Malelephant is similar but with the fiendish template instead.....or something like that.

If anyone is good at Home-brewing monsters, or just has some interesting ideas that could go along with this, please help me out here.

LOTRfan
2010-05-29, 06:58 PM
Well, there's a Maelephant in the Fiend Folio.
http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/details.php?id=1023&backlink=%2Fallmonsters.php

If you wanted to create a Benelephant, you could strip the creature of the special qualities, special attacks, and subtypes that distinguish it as an evil creature, and then add the celestial template.

Threeshades
2010-05-29, 06:59 PM
Reminds me of the Hollyphant from Book of Exalted Deeds:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75113.jpg
(these are both the same creature in its two alternate forms)

LOTRfan
2010-05-29, 07:02 PM
Oh, yeah. I forgot about those. If your ideas are meant to be player races, the Hollyphant does have a Savage Species-esque monster class for such a purpose in a Dragon magazine.

EDIT: It's in Dragon Magazine 312. You could do as I mentioned before, but strip the hollyphant of the traits that make it good-aligned and add the fiendish template instead of vice versa.

AustontheGreat1
2010-05-29, 07:14 PM
Also you could just use the Loxo race from savage species

LOTRfan
2010-05-29, 07:29 PM
Quick Question: What alignments do you want these outsiders to be, on the law-chaos axis (or are they even supposed to be outsiders?)?

Silverscale
2010-05-30, 12:12 AM
Well since it's a play on the words Benevolent and Malevolent, then either LG vs CE or NG vs NE if we just highlight the difference in good vs evil.

@Loxo, I'll have to look them up but If I remember correctly all they would need are the celestial/fiendish templates

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-30, 09:20 PM
I made a 4e Malelephant before this thread came up, it's in my hamebrew (see my sig).

LOTRfan
2010-05-30, 10:37 PM
That actually brings up a good question. What edition is this for?

Silverscale
2010-05-30, 11:51 PM
That actually brings up a good question. What edition is this for?

Just got my computer working again so I'll be taking a look at the Loxo tomorrow after I've had some sleep.