PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Cartographers [any ruleset]

Anasazi
2010-05-29, 09:49 PM
Greetings Playground,
I'm working on setting up what could be considered the opposite of a railroaded world/campaign and I'm looking for a cartographer(s) to help create the world visually from a global perspective.

The general idea is that we'll be creating an entire world, roughly the size of the moon, and laying down the worlds design, structure, locations, and a rough description of the type of challenges to be found in the area, including economic structure of the region, general background information, people and places of interest/power, ties to other parts of the world, etc.

The goal of the finished product is to have a world laid out for both player and gm to look over and run an ever changing and growing universe, filled with areas of general guidelines but open to gm and player creativity. If done correctly, this project could be used with almost any roleplaying ruleset and would only be limited only by the abilities of the GM.

If you have any questions about the project, please feel free to post them here.
If you're interested in helping us, please PM me.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to be talking with you soon.

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-29, 10:03 PM
Perhaps with some additional info, another could be of help.
What program did you have in mind? (CC3, Adobe, Photoshop, etc)
-Any you are comfortable with, however, in the end your work will probably be assimilated into CC3 and Adobe Illustrator CS4 format by the end. We hope to have a large print of the map available.
How many maps will be needed? Are you looking for a World map, topographical or City/Dungeon, etc. Since the project seems to be a bit more intricate than just the general "World"
-We are looking for probably about 5 map types. 1 World map, with a topographical view. 1 Region map (with landscape view), 1 Sea/Underground map (landscape), 1 Sky map (there may or may not be a city, however, we could tie in weather to this one.) and 1 City map (This includes all cities, so in truth, it is probably more than 1 map.) Any other finite details will be handle on case to case.
Just how detailed are you looking? (Did you have weather patterns, climate, etc maps in mind?)
We are looking for as detailed as we can get. Landscape, Weather, Climate, Region, City, Dungeon. Literally building the world, on a map. Top to Bottom (or rather, Core).

Any other additional details or questions you can direct to myself or the OP.
Thanks in advance.

dr.cello
2010-05-29, 10:07 PM
Dwarf Fortress's world generator makes a pretty nice worldmap in a pinch.

Anasazi
2010-05-29, 10:24 PM
Dwarf Fortress's world generator makes a pretty nice worldmap in a pinch.

Indeed it does, and I would imagine that its good enough for most to use for this sort of thing, but we're looking to create a great deal more than just a map to look at and use, we'll be establishing the connection that each area has to one another: economical, political, potential butterfly effect elements, guidelines for areas and challenges within, etc. We'll also be using vector graphics so that gm's can increase the size or shrink it as much as they want. Those who take part in the project will get to add their own flare to the world also, this is something that a random map creator cannot do.

for the record though, DF was/is awesome.

Reynard
2010-05-29, 11:09 PM
The DF generator works as a good starting point, and does give you 'guidelines for areas and challenges within' with biomes, and a rough economic/political base to work with via the history system.

I've got a decent amount of ranks in (Craft: Vector Graphics), so i could help.

WeeFreeMen
2010-05-29, 11:29 PM
Ah, that would be greatly appreciated Reynard. I shall keep in touch when we have everything settled.