PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy III

Eon
2010-05-29, 11:08 PM
So I just bought it a little bit ago... How is it?

FoE
2010-05-29, 11:23 PM
Are we referring to the Japanese Final Fantasy III (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalFantasyIII) or the North American Final Fantasy III? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalFantasyVI)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-29, 11:27 PM
Are we referring to the Japanese Final Fantasy III (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalFantasyIII) or the North American Final Fantasy III? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalFantasyVI)

Considering he just purchased it, I would hope that it is the previously unreleased japanese III just released for the DS, as no one has any SNES games for sale anymore, and it was re-released on the PS with FF Anthologies titled VI, and the DS version was also labeled VI.

FoE
2010-05-29, 11:30 PM
Considering he just purchased it, I would hope that it is the previously unreleased japanese III just released for the DS, as no one has any SNES games for sale anymore, and it was re-released on the PS with FF Anthologies titled VI, and the DS version was also labeled VI.

I agree that is the most likely scenario, though it is entirely possible that he purchased an old SNES game and continues to play an SNES out of some sense of nostalgia.

I don't know Bandil's habits. I'm not his mom. Or his penguins.

Oregano
2010-05-30, 08:23 AM
If actual FFIII then the games okay but incredibly outdated and whilst the remake got the ball rolling it doesn't really compare with the FFIV remake.

Game is enjoyable though.

Eon
2010-05-30, 09:29 AM
I believe it's the Japanese version re-released, for the Nintendo DS. All I know is it's for the Nintendo DS and is labeled III... and don't go in the Mythril Mine

You start in a cave and fall down a hole, to find out you were chosen, if that helps.

ObadiahtheSlim
2010-05-30, 10:47 AM
Can't you just go with the emulated version of FFVI? If you own a Wii, just buy the rom for the virtual console. No need buying an old system that may not be very reliable.

Oregano
2010-05-30, 11:25 AM
Can't you just go with the emulated version of FFVI? If you own a Wii, just buy the rom for the virtual console. No need buying an old system that may not be very reliable.

Not on the VC(yet) I don't think.

And yes that is the actuall FFIII on the DS.

Eon
2010-05-30, 11:38 AM
I'm kind of sad that I already have to start over due to lack of saving and going in the wrong (I'm guessing since they 2-shot my characters) cave... :smallfrown:

Sleverin
2010-05-30, 11:55 AM
I'm kind of sad that I already have to start over due to lack of saving and going in the wrong (I'm guessing since they 2-shot my characters) cave... :smallfrown:

No, you don't need to start over. The beginning of FF3 is annoyingly difficult. You have very little in the way of weapons, low offensive power, barely any healing, and the enemies are ridonkulous when it comes to killing you. The boss you have to face after you get Sarah in your party is annoying as hell. This is an old school JRPG, so my suggestion to you is: get used to grinding. Grinding is the way you do it in old school JRPGs, it assures victory. Well, they still do grind sessions nowadays...it just doesn't seem as ridiculous. Also, look stuff up on gamefaqs, this game ain't easy in the beginning.

EDIT: Note: once you can one shot the mobs in any given area, that means you have a decent chance at killing the boss. Decent chance. No assured victory here, the bosses can be controller throwing infuriating.

Eon
2010-05-30, 12:13 PM
No, you don't need to start over. The beginning of FF3 is annoyingly difficult. You have very little in the way of weapons, low offensive power, barely any healing, and the enemies are ridonkulous when it comes to killing you. The boss you have to face after you get Sarah in your party is annoying as hell. This is an old school JRPG, so my suggestion to you is: get used to grinding. Grinding is the way you do it in old school JRPGs, it assures victory. Well, they still do grind sessions nowadays...it just doesn't seem as ridiculous. Also, look stuff up on gamefaqs, this game ain't easy in the beginning.

EDIT: Note: once you can one shot the mobs in any given area, that means you have a decent chance at killing the boss. Decent chance. No assured victory here, the bosses can be controller throwing infuriating.

I had just had Ace join the party, I wasn't that far and hadn't saved yet. I don't have a choice :smallredface:

Inhuman Bot
2010-05-30, 09:41 PM
Personally, though I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy in general, I don't like FF 3.

The biggest reason being it's stupidly easy to get perma stuck and forced to restart. :smallsigh:

Assassin89
2010-05-30, 09:48 PM
I don't like the lack of save points in certain areas. As for the boss in the cave, a few arctic winds show take care of him in short order.

Toric
2010-06-02, 10:23 AM
I made it to the last dungeon. Since then I've been playing the game off and on for about two months. I still haven't so much as seen the final boss.

It's fun aside from the grinding, but be prepared for a loooooooot of grinding.

Magical Trevor
2010-06-14, 02:44 AM
I am confused as to what game we are talking about here, but if it is FFIII for DS, then I would recommend fighting everything you come across, and exploring all the dungeons. That way you sorta do your grinding while seeing all there is to see in the game. This is usually how I play RPGs, and I usually never have a whole lot if issues with bosses and the like. Except those bosses the developers throw in there just to make the players angry :/

Setra
2010-06-15, 04:16 PM

I never had to grind in FFIII (The DS version anyways, I did a little in the NES version) o.O The boss you face with Sarah is easily taken down if you picked up the chests in his cave, and have a Black or Red Mage with Ice.

You're greatly overstating the difficulty of the game, admittedly the final dungeon is tough, but the rest is fairly easy.

He probably DID go into the wrong cave, the cave in the second town has monsters more difficult than those you encounter in the cave with Sarah.