PDA

View Full Version : Spell help:

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 12:30 AM
Does anyone know of a armor spell that works with Abjurant Champion.

I know shield does but what I am looking for is a spell that grants an armor bonus that is like mage armor BUT will work with the abjurant champion Class feature that add's its level to the armor bonus.

Keld Denar
2010-05-30, 12:31 AM
Greater Luminous Armor, 3rd level spell from BoED. It is Sanctified, and inflicts 1d4 points of Str damage when you cast it. Since its Sanctified, you have to be able to prepare it. That means, if you are a spontaneous caster, you have to take the feat Arcane Preparation to cast it.

Otherwise, just ask your DM to allow AC's bonus to apply to Mage Armor and Greater Mage Armor, as it was intended in the descriptive text. Its dumb not to.

Set
2010-05-30, 12:42 AM
Since the designer(s) of the Abjurant Champion thought that Mage Armor would work with it's class ability, and presumably balanced it to do so, I would rule that;

A) specific exception, Mage Armor works for AbjChump, regardless of it's School

or

B) AbjChump leans a special variation of Mage Armor that is an Abjuration spell, and maybe requires some powdered iron as a material component or something, but otherwise functions exactly like the conjuration version.

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-30, 01:26 AM
Greater Luminous Armor, 3rd level spell from BoED. It is Sanctified, and inflicts 1d4 points of Str damage when you cast it.

I'm pretty sure you take the strength damage when the duration runs out, not when you cast it.

Keld Denar
2010-05-30, 01:42 AM
Yea yea yea, whatever. Its also only 1d3 Str damage, not 1d4.

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 01:46 AM
OK. I will ask about that ruling.... Also does anyone know of any good robes that are decent?

I am going with a monks belt+Magic Vestment+Bracers of Armor combo and I need a robe to replace my armor......

Keld Denar
2010-05-30, 01:53 AM
Honestly, most robes are pretty crappy. If you can get the 1 level of Spellsword (you should qualify if you are an AbjChamp), I'd wear a Mithril Chain Shirt, and use it as a source to stack on cheap magical effects. Freedom is a +5 equiv, so a suit of +1 Freedom Armor is 37,000g. Thats a full 3,000g cheaper than a Ring of Freedom of Movement. Alternatively, the Soulfire enhancement from BoED is a +4 equiv, and gives you permanent immunity to nearly all negative energy and death effects for about 26000 g. Thats pretty awesome in and of itself. Try getting that from a set of robes.

Just ignore the armor it gives you. Think of it as an extra body slot to stack extra effects on.

Fizban
2010-05-30, 02:02 AM
Greater Luminous Armor is actually 4th level, and the plain Luminous Armor is 2nd. Also, the section on sanctified spells references specific character classes, so I don't see how a sorcerer could cast them just by taking Arcane Preparation. That's what the Exalted Arcanist PrC is for.

I think an Exalted Arcanist/Abjurant Champion would be pretty awesome. You lose a level of casting but you gain all the sanctified spells as known spells, so you can cast the whole list spontaneously just like the Sandshaper list (both have mixed usefulness, sadly the EA gets it at 5th level instead of 1st). For bonus points, Greater Luminous Armor provides even more bonus than Greater Mage Armor, and both Luninous Armor spells give sight-based melee attacks a stiff penalty on top of the huge AC bonus.

Saph's character in the Seven Kingdoms campaign journal is a pretty good example. Shield and Greater Luminous Armor with the Abjurant Champion boost give you a huge AC, and Wings of Cover and Ruin Delver's Fortune can block just about anything else. Saph has tanked the boss monsters on numerous occasions so far. The only thing missing from the set is a deflection bonus spell that lasts for more than a round to stack the champion's bonus a third time, and a good miss chance spell.

Edit for Keld: Thistledown Padded Githcraft Mithral Chainshirt has 0% ACF without use of magic or prestige classing. And the cost is still under 2,000gp.

Os1ris09
2010-05-30, 02:16 AM
Ok sorry. I didn't make the transition clear. :smalltongue:

The scordian in our party needed to know about armor spells so thats why I asked.

For my cleric I wanted to know if there were any good robes but you make a point Keld Denar. I think I will just get a +1 mithral breastplate for my build and enhance it with freedom of movement for a good piece of armor.

The build is the following if you would like to know.

warlock 1/cleric of (XX) 4/Eldritch Disciple 15

Domains:
Planning, and possibly Undeath if DM gives it to me if not replace summon elemental with extra turning and move feats up one slot.

Feats:
Domain: Extend Spell
Domain: Extra turning
1st: Persist Spell
3rd: DMM persist
6th: Extra turning
9th: Knowledge Devotion
12: Extra Turning
15: Summon Elemental
18: Extra Turning