PDA

View Full Version : Cant believe im asking this

Olfgar
2010-05-30, 01:07 AM
So, noob question but, do any enhancement bonuses from gear apply to your skills? Like would a head band of intelligence increase how many skill points you got when you lvl up, if your wearing it, or would it increazse the ability modifier for say, a Knowledge check?

I play a fighter atm, and not many situations came up where i needed to use skills, so i havent paid attention to it. The group just uses me as a moveable dwarven speed bumb because i rarley get hit, have lots of health etc...

Temotei
2010-05-30, 01:09 AM
Increasing your abilities will increase the respective ability modifiers, which in turn increase skills and checks, yes.

Pluto
2010-05-30, 01:11 AM
Like would a head band of intelligence increase how many skill points you got when you lvl up, if your wearing it,
No..........

or would it increazse the ability modifier for say, a Knowledge check?Yes.

Hendel
2010-05-30, 01:13 AM
No..........
Yes.

Pluto answered this perfectly, but here is the reference from the SRD that supports what he wrote on the Headband of Intellect.

"Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points."

Loren
2010-05-30, 01:17 AM
Modified ablitity scores do not affect what you gain when you level up.
So, a head band of intelligence will affect your intelligence related skills, but you won't get any extra skill points when you level
an amulet of health (bonus cdonstitution) will increasee your maximum hit piont (bonus modifier X character level) but those hit points disappear if the amulet is removed.

so in conclusion the answer is yes and no

ninjas, argh

Olfgar
2010-05-30, 01:18 AM
ok thank you. so just to clairify, no extra skill points, but i get a higher skill check to add to my roll? like i have 5 knowledge(what ever) and my int goes up by +2 modifier i get the 5 ranks i have in Knowledge, and now the +2 from the int, so i add 7 to my rolls?

Temotei
2010-05-30, 01:21 AM
ok thank you. so just to clairify, no extra skill points, but i get a higher skill check to add to my roll? like i have 5 knowledge(what ever) and my int goes up by +2 modifier i get the 5 ranks i have in Knowledge, and now the +2 from the int, so i add 7 to my rolls?

If you meant you got a +4 Intelligence item (therefore increasing your Intelligence modifier by +2), then you're right.

5 ranks + 2 Intelligence modifier = +7 on rolls.

For Valor
2010-05-30, 01:24 AM

Yes. If you had 5 ranks in Know(X) and 13 Int (5 + 1 = 6 on your checks), and then grabbed that headbad of Intelligence (of +2, let's say) to make you Int 15, then your Know(X) checks would be made at 5 + 2 = 7.

EDIT: Grrrr... stole my post...

Temotei
2010-05-30, 01:55 AM
EDIT: Grrrr... stole my post...

Buahaha! Trogdor strikes again!

Fizban
2010-05-30, 04:55 AM
Note that while you don't gain extra skill points from a Headband of Intellect, you can still meet prerequisites using an item. For example, if you only have 10 strength, if you wear a Belt of Giant Strength +4, you could take Power Attack. However, if you took off the belt, you would lose access to the feat until you put it back on. There's a specific sidebar in the PHB or DMG for this, don't know what page.

While it's fine for feats, I would strongly recommend against allowing people to qualify for prestige classes in this way, because while it's easy to ignore a single feat, having to keep track of a whole list of class features that turn on and off every time you change your pants is a bad idea.

Bharg
2010-05-30, 04:57 AM
Pluto answered this perfectly, but here is the reference from the SRD that supports what he wrote on the Headband of Intellect.

"Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points."

But constitution thingies push your healthpoints?

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 05:03 AM
But constitution thingies push your healthpoints?

Yeah. Constitution works retroactively.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-30, 05:14 AM
Any change to Constitution changes your hit points. Changes to Intelligence have no effect on your skill points.

Changes to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma can give you more or less bonus spell slots/power points, if you have the bonus for over 24 hours and sleep with it still active.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-05-30, 11:54 AM
Any change to Constitution changes your hit points. Changes to Intelligence have no effect on your skill points.

Changes to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma can give you more or less bonus spell slots/power points, if you have the bonus for over 24 hours and sleep with it still active.

Most temporary changes to Intelligence do not effect skill points, but increases from leveling up and inherent bonuses do.[/nitpick]

Greenish
2010-05-30, 12:41 PM
Most temporary changes to Intelligence do not effect skill points, but increases from leveling up and inherent bonuses do.[/nitpick]Not retroactively like hitpoints, though.

Temotei
2010-05-30, 12:46 PM
Not retroactively like hitpoints, though.

Which is dumb. It's so much harder to make a higher-level character when you have to think: "Okay, so I increased my Intelligence at levels 4 and 8, which gives me an additional +1 modifier, increasing skill points gained at each level, so at level 8, I'll start taking this as a skill..."

Nah. It's much easier to just say: "Retroactive skill point gains."