PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbed won the Eurovision song contest

rakkoon
2010-05-30, 01:20 AM
First of all, congrats!

Secondly, they weren't even in my top 10 :smallfrown:
I thought Turkey, Belgium and France were absolutely smashing.
We (wife and me) also thought that it was a much better edition then last year. No singing turkeys for one thing :smallbiggrin:

Question for all countries not competing in it, have you ever heard of the competition?

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 01:23 AM
STOP WITH THE FRICKING SPOILERS! SOME OF US HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET! GRAAAAARRRRRG! :furious:

Pheehelm
2010-05-30, 01:34 AM
Question for all countries not competing in it, have you ever heard of the competition?American here, never heard of it until it came up in Random Banter. I'm guessing...international singing contest? Each country sends its representative(s) and audiences/judges vote on the winner?

Rawhide
2010-05-30, 01:41 AM
Yeah, uhm, while you may not have realised that it is a spoiler (due to timezones, people in other countries won't see it for a while), it is generally not a good idea to put a spoiler in the title... Edited.

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 01:58 AM
Thank you Rawhide.
*sigh* After accidentally spotting it in another Eurovision thread (I didn't realise it's already happened :smallsigh:), I was sort of wishfully hoping I could forget before seeing it. Then I saw it glaring at me any time I went into Friendly Banter :smallsigh:

Okay, it matters more to my Boy than to me, but still.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-30, 02:06 AM
Also an American. Literally all I know about this competition is that ABBA won it with Waterloo in 1974.

Moonshadow
2010-05-30, 02:07 AM
STOP WITH THE FRICKING SPOILERS! SOME OF US HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET! GRAAAAARRRRRG! :furious:

This, 1000 times. I haven't seen it yet, but my TV doesn't get SBS so I have to wait until tuesday when me and my eurovision obsessed missus can watch it on her TiVo.

I'm still sad that only... the last country who played in the 2nd semi finals had the Eurovision Trifecta though =( They had some pretty good looking women, too. As usual, the UK did a crappy job, from what I could see anyways, but they never do a good job beause they're one of the 4 countries sponsoring Eurovision and they don't want to win so they don't have to host the next one.

Also, I heard Qatar was entering next year, yayyyy more entertainment!

Also, the greek entry was erfing HILARIOUS :smallcool:

dehro
2010-05-30, 02:09 AM
American here, never heard of it until it came up in Random Banter. I'm guessing...international singing contest? Each country sends its representative(s) and audiences/judges vote on the winner?

yup
as you can imagine, accusations of politics influencing votes have been frequent, over the years

Moonshadow
2010-05-30, 02:13 AM
yup
as you can imagine, accusations of politics influencing votes have been frequent, over the years

Well, duh. They had to rig the semi finals so that most of the eastern european nations were in one half of the semis, because they all tended to vote for each other. All the countries that used to be Yugoslavia are very guilty of this, AFAIK.

The politics are what make it so wonderful :smallcool:

That, and Eurovision is a gigantic representitive of the trope Its So Bad, Its Good :smallbiggrin:

I can definatly say I'm a convert, hahaha

Rawhide
2010-05-30, 02:23 AM
Also an American. Literally all I know about this competition is that ABBA won it with Waterloo in 1974.

Eurovision also brought us this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3hj9-J76Y).

Pheehelm
2010-05-30, 02:28 AM
So it's the musical Olympics. Great job, Europe.

Murdim
2010-05-30, 02:49 AM
yup
Naaaah, there's absolutely no politics in Eurovision. Cyprus and Greece giving no points to Turkey and twelve to each other ; Macedonia and Greece (again !) giving no points to each other ; Ukraine, Belarus and Moldova giving 10 or 12 points to Mother Russia ; Azerbaijan giving a good score to both Armenia and Georgia : and of course, the Scandinavian block vote. And that's only what I remembered.

That, and Eurovision is a gigantic representitive of the trope Its So Bad, Its Good :smallbiggrin:
The French commentators were so hilariously sarcastic during the whole thing, especially the votings, that it easily count as Snark Bait as well. Though there's something heartrending to see the carefree, triumphant happiness of the *Scrubbed way too late* girl, when you consider that she probably only won because her country wanted - for some reason - to host the next Eurovision, and did... what they had to do to ensure this.

Moonshadow
2010-05-30, 03:17 AM
If you're talking about the german entry this year, my girlfriend and I both agreed that she was smoking hot.

But if you're talking about the german entry for this year, then I think you just spoiler'd it =(

llamamushroom
2010-05-30, 04:48 AM
I found out who the winner was before I knew the contest had started... stupid afternoon radio!

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-30, 05:05 AM
So it's the musical Olympics. Great job, Europe.

lolno. Most of these entries are unbelievably terribad.

I'm still very annoyed bitter France didn't win, it was classic Eurovision cheese.

Moonshadow
2010-05-30, 05:32 AM
lolno. Most of these entries are unbelievably terribad.

I'm still very annoyed bitter France didn't win, it was classic Eurovision cheese.

They're supposed to be terribad, thats where all the entertainment factor comes in!

And all the sponsor nations entries tend to suck, its not like they have to get through the semis, they're already in the finals because they pay for Eurovision, and they don't really want to have to pay to host it next year.

ThunderCat
2010-05-30, 05:37 AM
The Eurovision song contest is amazing :smallbiggrin: I don't know how they do it. So many of these countries are home to great bands and have delivered quality music.... anywhere else but in the ESC.

And there's so much hype about it, and so much prestige, and so many resources spent, that one should think everybody would be sending their very best, and yet, you can open any random radio channel and have a pretty good shot at landing on something that's better than the Eurovision. It's truly a mystery :smallsmile:

Murdim
2010-05-30, 07:40 AM
If you're talking about the bleeeep entry this year, my girlfriend and I both agreed that she was smoking hot.

But if you're talking about the bleeeep entry for this year, then I think you just spoiler'd it =(
Oops. I didn't know there were still people to spoil. But yeah, the winner is quite the cutie - which makes me feel even more embarassed for her :smallfrown:

rakkoon
2010-05-30, 07:48 AM
Apologies for not spoilering it, had no idea people would watch this at a different time then when it was aired. And that some networks would air it at a later time? Learned something new.
Thanks Rawhide for fixing this.

Australian people watch it? Cool.

England...I have no idea what happened there this year. Reminds me of the Father Ted episode about the ESC.

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 07:52 AM
We date the beginning of a whooooole lot of local dramas at a fairly major Eurovision party 2 years ago. Had another last year (which further confirmed for us that my friend's boyfriend is a toolbag :smallsigh:). This one, my Boy made me record it while he was at work, and we're watching it right now (Spain, #2).

Looking forward to Asiavision so Australia can participate! :smallbiggrin:

edit: lol guy.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-05-30, 08:46 AM
Am I the only one who finds a German singing with some kind of eldritch, obviously fake Cockney-ish accent hilarious? I hope not. :smallbiggrin:

LCR
2010-05-30, 09:28 AM
Am I the only one who finds a German singing with some kind of eldritch, obviously fake Cockney-ish accent hilarious? I hope not. :smallbiggrin:

She sure did win my strawberry tart ... guvna.

God, I'm even worse at this than she is.

Zar Peter
2010-05-30, 09:43 AM
I'm very happy Austria isn't participating anymore... it's better for the contest and my ears.

And the only time when I really liked to watch it was when two Austrian stand up comedians were commenting. That was hillarious (and matching to the quality of the contest),

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 09:53 AM
Am I the only one who finds a German singing with some kind of eldritch, obviously fake Cockney-ish accent hilarious? I hope not. :smallbiggrin:She sounded a little bit fake-Ocker... I wonder where she learnt English.

LCR
2010-05-30, 09:58 AM
She sounded a little bit fake-Ocker... I wonder where she learnt English.

In school and from listening to too much Lily Allen.
German English teachers tend to impress their own weird accents, acquired as exchange students on their pupils. That makes it something of a third-hand accent.

Renegade Paladin
2010-05-30, 10:08 AM
Wooooo, Lordi! :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2010-05-30, 10:12 AM
Germany won. That is really strange. Whomever Germany selected in the last years got rather bad scores. For most of the time, people here didn't even care about the whole event, because the German contestants almost always scored very bad.
But at least some things are still the same, as our old loser buddy Great Brittain is still very bad. :smallbiggrin:

The Eurovision song contest is amazing :smallbiggrin: I don't know how they do it. So many of these countries are home to great bands and have delivered quality music.... anywhere else but in the ESC.

And there's so much hype about it, and so much prestige, and so many resources spent, that one should think everybody would be sending their very best, and yet, you can open any random radio channel and have a pretty good shot at landing on something that's better than the Eurovision. It's truly a mystery :smallsmile:
Bands that are actually good and have popular appeal usually think its to embarrasing to play there, so they don't bother with applying.

drakir_nosslin
2010-05-30, 10:44 AM

Only time I've voted in the Eurovision, but man did I vote... I'll never forget the time that a group of awesome monsters won the silliest competition in music history.

Fay Graydon
2010-05-30, 10:51 AM

The only thing Eurovision has done that I actually like :smallbiggrin:
Still find it funny that you have people expect you to have watched things like Eurovision... Seriously I woke up today and logged on to my IM program only to have about 6 people say things like:
"Did you see who won Eurovision?" or "Who did you vote for"
And their reaction when I tell them I don't watch it makes not watching it all the more worthwhile INVHO.

But each to their own I guess :smallsmile:
\,,\_ Metal Supporter Till The End Of Time \,,\_

DemonicAngel
2010-05-30, 11:08 AM
Yeah, Apparently we (Israel) still think were European. pshhh.
and we got one of the worst representative ever, too.
so many good artists, such a shame.
to the guy which said that good artists don't play there because it's considered embarrassing... too true :)

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 11:16 AM
Isn't it also meant to be amateure only?

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-30, 11:18 AM
Isn't it also meant to be amateure only?

Uhh... no? What gave you that idea? You are supposed to send the best musicians of your country.

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 11:23 AM
My boyfriend, but according to the Wiki it seems to just relate to songs rather than artists:
There is a rule which forbids any song being entered which has been previously commercially released or broadcast in public before a certain date relative to the Contest in question.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-30, 11:26 AM
I was going to mention that rule, yes. But it doesn't matter who the song is by.

GolemsVoice
2010-05-30, 11:55 AM
Am I the only one who finds a German singing with some kind of eldritch, obviously fake Cockney-ish accent hilarious? I hope not.

I find it both funny and strange, but more funny than strange. Something new, I'd say, though for the life of me I can't figure out why she sings the way she sings.

skywalker
2010-05-30, 12:10 PM
Only ever remember Helena Paparizou winning, from Greece, in some recent year. Don't know how I learnt of it, but Eurovision has been on my radar, since then.

Personally, I think you should just pick the hottest girl every year. Seems to work out just fine IMO.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-30, 12:49 PM

Finally someone else wondered this. I dislike her song very much.

Rothen
2010-05-30, 01:21 PM
I can't figure out why she sings the way she sings.

She's not a native English speaker. Hence, she has an accent.

Personally, I think you should just pick the hottest girl every year. Seems to work out just fine IMO.

http://tiny.abstractdynamics.org/archives/lordi.jpg

Serpentine
2010-05-30, 09:57 PM
She's not a native English speaker. Hence, she has an accent.Obviously. But what is that accent?

rakkoon
2010-05-31, 01:45 AM
I'm not even English and the accent freaked me out, Turkey is going on my playlist today.

Oh, and we had a singer who sold empty cd covers of his Euro song. After the competition was finished you could go get the CD. That way the song wasn't officially released before the contest.

Delta
2010-05-31, 02:40 AM
Well, it was the best song we've sent to the Song Contest for many years, but I never expected it to win. Personally, Turkey was my favourite, I'm glad to see that they made second place.

Her accent has been discussed to death by german media in the weeks before the contest, I think it's just something she thought would sound good, seems like many people agreed with that.

The worst thing about this win is that Stefan Raab (the guy who casted Lena and has been behind three more of the most succesful german entries in recent years, even starting himself in 2000) is likely to have balls the size of watermelons now for years to come... :smallwink:

@rakkoon: Recently, it's been allowed to release the song some time before the contest.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-31, 04:04 AM
Obviously. But what is that accent?

Sounded like Kate Nash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH5cga0yUI) to me.

Jimorian
2010-05-31, 05:35 AM
So few people actually sing with an accent, even when they have one themselves, that it makes your ears perk when you do hear it in a song.

rakkoon
2010-05-31, 05:45 AM
Famous groups, accents...
What would the contest be like if Ireland sent The Dubliners, Germany Rammstein, England Paul McCartney, France Adamo, ...

Dogmantra
2010-05-31, 06:04 AM
What would the contest be like if Ireland sent The Dubliners, Germany Rammstein, England Paul McCartney, France Adamo, ...

It would have maybe two good songs rather than the obligatory single good song that inexplicably does poorly. :smallwink:

rakkoon
2010-05-31, 06:19 AM
hmm there's another thread about this...in a better location, perhaps we should move :smallsmile:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8587803#post8587803

katans
2010-05-31, 06:37 AM
Yeah, Apparently we (Israel) still think were European. pshhh.

Well, as do Azerbaidjan and Armenia, obviously...

Eldan
2010-05-31, 11:06 AM
I heard some Arabian state (Qatar? Dubai?) is going to join next year.

skywalker
2010-05-31, 06:58 PM
Famous groups, accents...

The guy with a "Sir" in front of his name would win?

I heard some Arabian state (Qatar? Dubai?) is going to join next year.

Dubai's not a state. Is not even capital of United Arab Emirates. That would be Abu Dhabi.

arguskos
2010-05-31, 07:00 PM
Dubai's not a state. Is not even capital of United Arab Emirates. That would be Abu Dhabi.
Well, to be super technical, yes, it IS a "state" (actually an Emirati). However, you are correct, it is not it's own nation. Abu Dhabi nominally rules the UAE, though in practice all seven Sheikh's rule over the nation jointly. In other news, I need to visit again.