PDA

View Full Version : Broken TV :(

mr.farche
2010-05-30, 01:32 AM
I have a Samsung Series 3 330 LCD TV (27") and it is broken. No, not like smashed, it actually has NO physical damage whatsoever. It turns out that it would cost me the same to fix it as it would to buy another tv just like it...
So I decided, why should I have thow away a perfectly good tv that has very little wrong with it, especially if all it does is add mercury into a landfill. This tv actually should be working (I got it to turn on once even with this problem), there is just no picture or sound. Instead of turning on, the little red light on the power button just flickers off and back on every 5 seconds.

I came here to see if anyone could help me out of this dire situation. If you can direct me to any sort of good forums for tv repair, tech support, tv repair men that I can call that work in Denver, or maybe even if you know a thing or two about tv's. ANYTHING HELPS! Thank you!

Griever
2010-05-30, 01:44 AM
Quite a few Samsung T.V.s recently have had problems with bad capacitors (caps, for short) on their circuit boards which have been pretty much destroy all functionality of the unit.

Whether or not this is the problem, I do not know. You'd need someone at least somewhat experienced with soldering and de-soldering circuit boards.

Alittle searching around and I see that some people have had similar problems also revolving around caps - http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=328144

Might be able to find some help there, I only skimmed it, too little time.

With luck I'll be able to do a more thorough search and post more helpful things after the weekend is over.

Rawhide
2010-05-30, 01:47 AM
I've actually built my own custom TV before. It was a wooden TV, everything was made out of wood. The only problem it had, was that it wooden work.

No, there's probably not much you can do personally to fix it. If the repairs are estimated at that much, then is pretty much gone. If you don't want to throw it away you can look for a place that will recycle it or salvage spare parts from it.

mr.farche
2010-05-30, 02:00 AM
When I went to DTR (downtown radio) in denver, they told me that this was a common problem and that it probably wasn't the capacitors.

Renegade Paladin
2010-05-30, 01:58 PM
Use it for target practice. More fun than just throwing it away. :smallbiggrin:

Broccoli21
2010-05-30, 08:30 PM
Use it for target practice. More fun than just throwing it away. :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I prefer to use them as trebuchet ammunition. :smallbiggrin:

5thColumn
2011-06-04, 08:44 PM
Yaaa trebuchets!

Lolzords
2011-06-04, 08:56 PM
I've actually built my own custom TV before. It was a wooden TV, everything was made out of wood. The only problem it had, was that it wooden work.

Beautiful.