PDA

View Full Version : Low Magic New World

Shoruke
2010-05-30, 04:54 PM
Players:
Jennifer Bladestorm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211243)
Felix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211281)
Jareth Garre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211559)
Peter Albert (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211570)
Fendron (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211391)
Fixer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=208709)

You are seated on a plain wooden chair in the Town Hall tent, because the Monsbaiyan town hall building is still being designed. In front of you, seated on the opposite side of a wide table, are five aged elves: the Monsbaiyan city council. You've spent the last twenty minutes or so being briefed by the council, in a droning old man voice, on your mission; the kobolds, living in their cave to the northeast, seem to know the location of another town or city. For the prosperity of the isolated town of Monsbaiya, you must locate and contact this city, and the first step is to learn its location from the kobolds. Persuasion (friendly or otherwise), trade, possibly violence, torture, any method you can think of to make a kobold tell you where this other city is, is available to you.

You have already been given some basic adventuring supplies, and you've purchased what else you need. Councilman Trai'on ends his monotonous briefing, and adds: "We have also prepared a map for you, which is mostly blank. Take it with you, and perhaps you can fill it in as your travels progress. Now, before you leave, have you any questions?"

(the map looks a little like this, and has no weight for whoever's carrying it:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ik9soz.jpg

Falconknight06
2010-05-30, 05:01 PM
Well, I have one a human of medium build in subdued clothing says to the elders, what sort of danger are we looking at here? Most of us have probably fought the kobolds in the open, but I've heard some nasty things about their tunnels

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 05:06 PM
Fixer takes the map, putting it in his pocket.

"Thank you, sir. Questions? Erm..."

Fixer stops talking, thinking.

"Well, what kind of gear would they have? Magical, mundane or alchemical? If you don't know, I guess we'll find out for you."

Shoruke
2010-05-30, 05:15 PM
Councilman Trai'on addresses Jareth's question first. "You are wise to ask, young adventurer. We have fought off the kobolds many times in open combat when they come here to raid us, yes; they arm themselves with whatever they can, which never seems to be much. In fact we suspect that most of their equipment is simply what they have stolen from us; a selection of daggers and short swords, generally nothing it would take you two hands to use. They do not, as far as we know, possess any magical or alchemical items.

As to their caves, we know almost nothing. We have sent scouts once or twice to try and learn of them, but the kobolds always have wary sentries outside their home, and thus all we could ascertain was the cave's location. Kobolds tend to be tricky buggers, though, so you should perhaps expect some traps."

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 05:23 PM
Fixer cracks his knuckles.

"Traps? Sounds like a challenge to me. Time to find out how good these guys actually are at these traps. You never know, they may have some interesting designs for me to copy."

Illven
2010-05-30, 06:22 PM
Perhaps we should capture one of there sentry's alive so we can gain information from it, instead of going into the caves themselves

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 06:24 PM
"I get the feeling that'll be easier said than done. Then again, you may be sneaky enough to do it. We'll see, I suppose."

Fortuna
2010-05-30, 07:20 PM
"Perhaps these questions would be better discussed on the road? The sooner we leave, the sooner we come back."

Illven
2010-05-30, 07:32 PM
Yeah I agree with you, unless any one needs to pick something up let's leave now

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 07:33 PM
"Well, I'm good to go. I've got the map, by the way. Not like it will help much."

Kira_the_5th
2010-05-30, 09:08 PM
"Let's be going then." Felix says, gathering his things.
"Binky will be anxious to get going."

4is111
2010-06-02, 12:31 PM
"And so our journey begins."
Fendron starts walking off towards the Kobolds.

Shoruke
2010-06-03, 12:48 PM
You all bravely set forth from your village, heading in a general north-northeastish direction. After six hours of bravely marching, your group decides to bravely stop and bravely set up camp for the night, although the whole 'walking for six hours' thing has kinda put a damper on your heroic bravado. After ten hours or so of alternating watches, all of you have gotten a good night's sleep and you bravely continue north-northeastish.

After two more hours of bravely walking and getting thoroughly sick of not having actually done anything brave yet, you are getting close to the base of the mountain. (At this point, your GM rolls spot checks for each of you, to determine how close you get to the kobold cave before noticing it. The winner was Jareth.)

Juse before reaching the base of the mountain, Jareth hisses at everyone to halt, and points out a hole in the side of the mountain. Two smallish figures lazily stand "guard" outside of the hole in the mountain. There are some trees and bushes immediately to your right, and a few loose rocks between that vegetation and the cave, but other than that the area seems like its been tidied up a bit, to make walking around easier. A rough path extends from the cave to the east, and up the mountain.

(you now enter tactical movement mode. You all get one turn to move around for free, after that the guards get spot/listen checks each round to detect you.)

You guys are off to the bottom left. This picture represents your tactical movement map. If the grid lines are too hard to see, just say so and I'll post a clearer picture)
http://i45.tinypic.com/2v2k17c.jpg

4is111
2010-06-03, 02:14 PM
Fendrn wispers to his companions "Alright, I have a spell that could make this much much easier on us, but it has very short range, and it is unlikely to succeed if we act openly hostile. Still, if we alert them of our presence, then they will likely get more kobolds. Therefore, we must remain undetected."
Fendron moves and hides under the tree on the left.
Hide:[roll0]

Falconknight06
2010-06-03, 04:59 PM
Wow, this was really dumb of me as Jareth is not actually a Bard. He is a Swashbuckler. Sorry about the misunderstanding

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-03, 05:22 PM
I should be able to attack if we get a bit closer, but I can only reliably take out one while on horseback. Felix says, looking at the guards. If someone can take out one, I can ride in and take out the other while staying far enough back to not make them suspicious as the others sneak closer.

I can hit at only -2 if I get about 10 ft closer, and with good rolls may be able to take out both, but I can only reliably get one of them before he goes running into the cave to alert the others. Trouble is, this plan won't work with fascinate, so what does everyone else think?

Illven
2010-06-03, 06:22 PM
I think we should go for the spell, and fasicnate, remeber Felix we need to take at least one alive

Fortuna
2010-06-06, 05:31 PM
"I agree. That seems best."

Falconknight06
2010-06-07, 07:20 PM
Guys, what is the plan then? Jareth will whisper urgently to he group, his knife in hand

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-07, 07:31 PM
I say those of us who are sneaky move up to attack the kobolds from stealth. Then, you move in and prevent them from retreating into the caves. I can stay here with Binky, then run down and capture any that try to make their escape this way. Hows that for a plan?

4is111
2010-06-07, 07:31 PM
"I figured we'd avoid combat by sneaking up, then you and I will use our magic to enthrall the kobolds. Ofcourse, everyone else will wait nearby incase that fails and it comes to violence."

Fortuna
2010-06-08, 04:22 AM
Peter nods assent one more time, then makes a run for the tree.

Volthawk
2010-06-08, 10:40 AM
"Well, if you gave me a minute, I could rig someone's weapon to not kill them, just knock them out quite quickly. Otherwise, I've got enough toys to screw them over."

Fixer pulls out his bow, putting what an observant person could see was cat hair, and runs his hands over it, muttering something.

Infusing my shortbow with Cat's Grace, so any who use it get +4 Dexterity.

Illven
2010-06-08, 08:33 PM
What should I do. Jeniffer askes eagerly. As soon as she get's an answer she makes a double move for the bush closest to where she is

4is111
2010-06-09, 10:06 PM
"Come with me and be ready to fight, but don't be seen and for gods' sake, don't attack unless our magic fails."

Volthawk
2010-06-12, 01:29 PM
"Like I said, one minute. Then I can hopefully be able to do some enthralling."

To prepare, Fixer puts a fine black thread on his armour. Then, he gets down to business,waving his hands, putting the spell energy into his armour.

First, infusing Skill Enhancment to give me another +2 UMD.]

Now, Spell-Storing Item for Charm Person

UMD target: 23
Roll: [roll0]
Made it!

Illven
2010-06-12, 02:07 PM
Are you ready, cast the spell.

Shoruke
2010-06-15, 10:58 AM
Fixer takes one minute to do his infusy-thing. The kobold guards are completely oblivious to your presence.

Volthawk
2010-06-15, 10:59 AM
"Alright, all done. Anyone going to do something about the second guard?"

Shoruke
2010-06-15, 11:57 AM
The initiative groups are:
PC group: Fendron
NPC group: Kobold (east)
PC group: Jareth, Fixer, Jennifer, Felix
NPC group: Kobold (west)
PC group: Peter

(since the turns begin and end with PC groups, Fendron can post his action for the next turn when we're on Peter's initiative)

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-15, 01:41 PM
D***, did I roll so badly I'm not even on initiative?

Shoruke
2010-06-15, 02:57 PM
Oops! Sorry about that. I changed it, you're in the big initiative group with Jareth, Fixer, and Jennifer.

Also, it's Fendron's turn.

4is111
2010-06-15, 04:20 PM
I honestly can't tell which token is mine, but I don't think it matters at this moment.
Fendron moves to the left to get behind the green bushy area.

Shoruke
2010-06-17, 11:17 AM
Kobold casts oblivious stare!
It is ineffective!

Jareth, Fixer, Jennifer, and Felix all get to go now.

If anyone needs a map at any point, just ask. Also, JUST IN CASE anyone can't tell, I attempt to incorporate memes and humour into my narrative style. I'll try to make it so that my jokes are obvious, so nobody comes out with something like "What book is the Oblivious Stare spell in since when do kobolds know magic I thought there weren't any casters around here durrrrp". Further, my punctuation and grammar are usually nigh flawless, so any stretch of text that eschews punctuation is also for humorous effect. I don't think any of you guys are silly enough to have missed any of this, but I like to be SURE about these things.

Falconknight06
2010-06-17, 09:55 PM
Jareth will follow Fendron, waiting for the casters to do their thing

Illven
2010-06-17, 10:28 PM
As will Jennifer

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-17, 10:47 PM
Same with Felix

Volthawk
2010-06-18, 12:21 AM
Fixer goes behind the bush as well, moving up to Fendron and whsipering in his ear "Hey, ready to do some charming?!

Shoruke
2010-06-18, 10:02 AM
Kobold 2 kinda stares around blankly. He doesn't quite look like he's going to fall asleep, but he looks like he wishes he could.

Peter and Fendron are up.

4is111
2010-06-18, 08:33 PM
Fendron advances and hides behind the big rock.

Fortuna
2010-06-19, 04:29 AM
Peter will do what everyone else did.

Shoruke
2010-06-19, 03:01 PM
You're going to need a hide check. And I'll need to know how fast you're going, to make sure you're taking the right penalty for moving fast (0, if you half-move twice). If I have the picture right, you'll probably have to make a run action...

The map
http://i48.tinypic.com/29zbes9.jpg

Kobolds' spot checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Volthawk
2010-06-19, 03:03 PM
Hide: [roll0]

Illven
2010-06-19, 05:35 PM
Hide [roll0]

4is111
2010-06-19, 08:12 PM
You have the picture wrong. I was going under and through the green things to get behind the 3x3 rock. Anyway, hide: [roll0]

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 10:11 AM
You have the picture wrong. I was going under and through the green things to get behind the 3x3 rock. Anyway, hide: [roll0]

Oh, okay. And since everyone else was just being all "I'ma follow heem" then everyone else gets shunted around too... it's just that you said you were going left earlier, so I thought you were trying to circle around to the west.

One of the kobolds notices Fendron as he bursts from the bushes and dives behind a huge rock. The kobold hisses at his friend, and moves cautiously to the side to try and get a better look.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vctbp3.jpg

Jareth, Fixer, Jennifer, and Felix are all up. None of them have been seen yet, but the kobolds are aware that there are hostiles nearby, so you've lost your chance to treat them flat-footed... in melee, anyway. There's still sniping.

Volthawk
2010-06-20, 10:14 AM
Fixer nocks an arrow in his bow, and whispers "So, they know we're here. What now?"

4is111
2010-06-20, 10:18 AM
"Shhhhhh! Keep it down. They know I'm here, but that doesn't change anything."
When Fendron's turn comes around next round, he readys an action to charm the first kobold to come withing range.

Volthawk
2010-06-20, 10:23 AM
"Alright. I'll try and get closer."

Fixer runs up to a rock near the kobold, making sure he has something between them.

OK, I'll move 5ft to the right, so I'm that rock is between me and the kobold, then move up to the rock.

Rolls:
Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 11:28 AM
OK, I'll move 5ft to the right, so I'm that rock is between me and the kobold, then move up to the rock.

Uhh... whose right? If you move 5 feet to the right, you'll be standing outside the bush and that kobold will have direct Line of Sight to you. If you moved 2 north and 1 west in one move, and then moved up to the rock on another move action, you'd have the rock between you and the kobold the whole time, but...

Are my images displaying inverted or something?

Volthawk
2010-06-20, 11:31 AM
Uhh... whose right? If you move 5 feet to the right, you'll be standing outside the bush and that kobold will have direct Line of Sight to you. If you moved 2 north and 1 west in one move, and then moved up to the rock on another move action, you'd have the rock between you and the kobold the whole time, but...

Are my images displaying inverted or something?

Nope, I just looked at it wrong, thought someone else's icon was mine.

I'll do what you just said instead.

Illven
2010-06-20, 01:04 PM
How tall is the rock 30 feet in front of Jeniffer

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 07:27 PM
There aren't any rocks within 30 feet of Jennifer... but presumably you mean the one more-or-less-directly north of you guys that Fixer is at, which is waist-height on a human. If you stand behind it you get +2 circumstance bonus to AC against ranged attacks (like lying prone, but less). If you crouch behind it, you are concealed enough to make a hide check (and still get that +2). If you biff it and lie flat behind it, you have total concealment. I'm assuming, since he's making a hide check, that Fixer is crouched behind the rock.

The other rock, that Fendron is next to, is a rather big rock. Sumfink like 8 feet tall, if you stand behind it they can't see you.

Illven
2010-06-20, 08:17 PM
Then what is the grey spot six squares straight north from Jeniffer

Shoruke
2010-06-20, 08:36 PM
The grey spot six spaces north of Jennifer is, in fact, a gray spot which is seven spaces north of Jennifer. Sorry to nitpick. And it is a waist-high rock.

Illven
2010-06-20, 09:48 PM
Woops sorry:smallredface: Jeniffer will crouch foward to that rock ready to ambush the kobold if necessary

Hide [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-21, 12:20 AM
Felix will hang back for now, readying an action to move forward and shoot the closest kobold if things go south.

Shoruke
2010-06-21, 12:50 AM
Felix will hang back for now, readying an action to move forward and shoot the closest kobold if things go south.

Sorry, you only get to ready one action per turn. You can ready a move to get into position for your next turn and do a full attack or something (or some other full-round action, or just to be further north), or you can ready a standard action to shoot the next literally dog-faced mook to look at you funny.

Falconknight06
2010-06-21, 11:19 PM
Jareth will hold his action until he feels he is needed

Shoruke
2010-06-24, 11:25 AM
Ehh... Felix? Gonna change your turn? Otherwise you're gonna lose it, it's been like 4 days.

Kira_the_5th
2010-06-24, 12:27 PM
Oh, sorry, thought the kobolds were up.
Unable to reach where he wanted to, Felix decides to hold action until he is needed.

Shoruke
2010-06-26, 04:36 PM
Fixer nudges past Felix and Jareth, and then makes a crouching dash for the rock. He manages to keep the rock between him and the kobold at all times, thus remaining unseen, but he wasn't the most quiet about it.

Jennifer, Jareth, and Felix stay put, waiting to ambush the kobold when it draws near.

The kobold near the cave entrance looks around nervously and then takes a couple steps back into the cave.

Peter and Fendron are up.

4is111
2010-06-28, 01:49 PM
"Shhhhhh! Keep it down. They know I'm here, but that doesn't change anything."
When Fendron's turn comes around next round, he readys an action to charm the first kobold to come withing range.

My action does not change.

Shoruke
2010-07-07, 06:36 PM
Peter is under DM control until further notice...

Fixer and Jennifer crouch and slide slowly up to the rock, while everyone else stays relatively still and waits, trying to breathe quietly. The kobold continues to approach warily, but as its attention is focused on the bigger rock hiding Fendron, it utterly fails to notice Fixer and Jennifer.

Jareth, Fixer, Jennifer, and Felix are all up. You'd have a hell of a time preventing the kobold by the cave from escaping at this point, but you've still got a chance to nab this guy next to you.

http://i32.tinypic.com/15wgj9j.jpg

Illven
2010-07-07, 08:56 PM
Question is the kobold considered to be in combat for the + 5 bonus to will against charm person or would I not know that?

If it's a no or if I would have no idea

Delay to the casters

If it is a yes it still gets the +5 bonus

I move up to the kobold and swing my weapon nonlethally

[roll0]
[roll1]
If threat
[roll2]
[roll3]

4is111
2010-07-07, 09:22 PM
Yes, delay until after my spell fails. Infact, a readied action on my spell failling would be even better. As long as we haven't attacked, then he doesn't get the bonus. That being said, if we can charm him, then the other kobold will have no reason to flee.

Illven
2010-07-08, 12:10 AM
If I ready I can't get him at all, since you can't take a full round ready action

Shoruke
2010-07-11, 11:47 AM
Question is the kobold considered to be in combat for the + 5 bonus to will against charm person or would I not know that?

The kobold would be considered "in combat" for this. Consider a similar situation: you are fighting a spellcaster, who uses an Invisibility spell on themself. You know they're still there (well, if you pass a spellcraft check), you just don't know where, and you've still got your guard up.

Illven
2010-07-11, 03:33 PM
Well in any case I'm delaying till the spellcasters go