PDA

View Full Version : Non-magical darkess

WarKitty
2010-05-30, 05:08 PM
Is there any way to create darkness that darkvision will work in? I'm trying to build a combat rouge, and I was eyeing tiefling, but it looks like I wouldn't be able to see through my own darkness spell?

Other suggestions for general rouginess are also appreciated. I'm trying to maximize sneak attack/general stealth as much as possible.

Edit: SRD or free online source with link only please. Preferably SRD, as I would have to get approval for anything else.

Greenish
2010-05-30, 05:16 PM
Something in the back of my head keeps whispering "Darklight Lantern from Secrets of Sarlona". Dunno why.

Oh, as far as general stealth feats go, Darkstalker from Lords of Madness is head and shoulders above the rest.

[Edit]: Warlocks get an invocation to see in magical darkness (and another to create it). Binders can get it from some vestige too. For SA damage, Craven from Champions of Ruin is great.

Heliomance
2010-05-30, 06:44 PM
SRD there aren't any. At all. If there is some way to do it, it's going to be in splat. I seem to remember the Spell Compendium has something along those lines.

Greenish
2010-05-30, 06:46 PM
Well, Blacklight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/blacklight.htm) would work. Get it on a wand, or preferably on a custom item.

JellyPooga
2010-05-30, 06:57 PM
Does it have to be creating darkness in any circumstances (e.g. when it's naturally light)? If the light is artificial, then sundering or extinguishing torches and lanterns could work, or covering them with a cloth or something. An alternative method to gain the same advantage (i.e. you can see but your foe cannot) would be to blind your opponent(s)...various methods apply here too, aside from the obvious magical ones; poisons are an expensive but viable option at lower levels (when they stand a chance of working). Throwing a cloak over your opponents head (I'd suggest using rules as per a net) would cause temporary blindness as could throwing grit or sand in their eyes. Another method of gaining same said advantage is obviously invisibility. Again, there are the obvious magical methods, but stealth is the mundane alternative and I'm not just talking about making Hide and Move Silently checks; forward planning, for example, can put you in ideal ambush positions such as in the rafters, in shadowy alcoves and such. Another stealth aspect would be to wait until the terrain is of your choosing, not your opponents; getting them whilst they're asleep is ideal. A disguise and some fast talking can also conceal your intent as an aggressor too to get the drop on your opponent.

Mastikator
2010-05-30, 06:59 PM
Remove all sources of light and you're golden.

So basically you can't attack in broad open daylight. Which should be a given anyway.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-30, 07:08 PM
I think you might be trying to solve a harder problem than is necessary. How about combining Deeper Darkness (good for days at a time), which you can keep on a coverable object, with Ebon Eyes (Spell Compendium, page 77)? It's a 1st level spell so a wand wouldn't be too expensive. The object creates magical darkness when you expose it, but Ebon Eyes lets you see through its concealment. Thus you've got one of the two requirements to Hide guaranteed, yet that concealment won't interfere with your sneak attack.

WarKitty
2010-05-30, 07:12 PM
I think you might be trying to solve a harder problem than is necessary. How about combining Deeper Darkness (good for days at a time), which you can keep on a coverable object, with Ebon Eyes (Spell Compendium, page 77)? It's a 1st level spell so a wand wouldn't be too expensive. The object creates magical darkness when you expose it, but Ebon Eyes lets you see through its concealment. Thus you've got one of the two requirements to Hide guaranteed, yet that concealment won't interfere with your sneak attack.

Spell Compendium???

Edit: Looks like what I want is a custom-built magic item that casts blindness, rather than creating darkness. This isn't a super high level character.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-30, 07:25 PM
I'm trying to build a combat rouge,.

...Combat makeup?

That's a rather odd character concept.

WarKitty
2010-05-30, 07:28 PM
...Combat makeup?

That's a rather odd character concept.

I am going to have to work that into the character somehow.:smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-05-30, 07:29 PM
I am going to have to work that into the character somehow.:smallcool:

Glad I could be of service.:smallbiggrin:

Maybe it's highly flammable/explosive?

Greenish
2010-05-30, 07:31 PM
...Combat makeup?

That's a rather odd character concept.http://www.darklegacycomics.com/41.jpg

herrhauptmann
2010-05-30, 08:12 PM
Spell Compendium???

Edit: Looks like what I want is a custom-built magic item that casts blindness, rather than creating darkness. This isn't a super high level character.

Curmudgeon's suggestion will cost a little more than a wand of blindness/deafness. But it's a good one. And it doesn't require you to be especially high level unless your DM makes magic items intentionally scarce.

By the time you can afford it, probably 4th or 5th level, you should be able to expect them both to last at least 2 levels before they run out. Alternatively, use the wands in MiC which are 2/day, or 3/day. You have to be more judicious in using your items each day, but they'll last longer.
The advantage to this tactic is that it allows no save, while casting some form of blindness allows a fort save.

Once you've got these items, pick up the feats 'craven' and 'darkstalker' so you can hide even vs scent and blindsight.

edit: Now that I look, I see the thread title is 'nonmagical darkness.' Aside from going indoors, waiting for the sun to set, and the like, I don't think it's possible to get nonmagical darkness.
At epic levels it should be possible. Gain the ability to cast certain spells as Spell-like abilities (archmage, signature spell, sure there's others). Turn those spell-likes to supernatural abilities. And then turn them into extraordinary. Most of those I believe are [epic] feats.

WarKitty
2010-05-30, 08:32 PM
Curmudgeon's suggestion will cost a little more than a wand of blindness/deafness. But it's a good one. And it doesn't require you to be especially high level unless your DM makes magic items intentionally scarce.

By the time you can afford it, probably 4th or 5th level, you should be able to expect them both to last at least 2 levels before they run out. Alternatively, use the wands in MiC which are 2/day, or 3/day. You have to be more judicious in using your items each day, but they'll last longer.
The advantage to this tactic is that it allows no save, while casting some form of blindness allows a fort save.

Once you've got these items, pick up the feats 'craven' and 'darkstalker' so you can hide even vs scent and blindsight.

edit: Now that I look, I see the thread title is 'nonmagical darkness.' Aside from going indoors, waiting for the sun to set, and the like, I don't think it's possible to get nonmagical darkness.
At epic levels it should be possible. Gain the ability to cast certain spells as Spell-like abilities (archmage, signature spell, sure there's others). Turn those spell-likes to supernatural abilities. And then turn them into extraordinary. Most of those I believe are [epic] feats.

Magical darkness is ok if I can see through it. I don't have access to a lot of books though.

Greenish
2010-05-30, 08:34 PM
edit: Now that I look, I see the thread title is 'nonmagical darkness.' Aside from going indoors, waiting for the sun to set, and the like, I don't think it's possible to get nonmagical darkness.I do believe you're mistaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlLight.htm).

WarKitty
2010-05-30, 08:41 PM
I do believe you're mistaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlLight.htm).

Good heavens that doesn't even make sense. Increasing light 200% improves everyone's visual abilities???

herrhauptmann
2010-05-30, 08:45 PM
I do believe you're mistaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlLight.htm).

Well I'll be damned (again). A bit of splitting hairs there, especially if transparency is in effect. I'm sure illumians, truenamers, and such who don't actually cast spells might be able to do something similar. I guess a couple dorje's of Control Light, and the skill 'use psionic device' could work well. Does one of hte other psi powers allow you to see in darkness too?

Good heavens that doesn't even make sense. Increasing light 200% improves everyone's visual abilities???

I think they were referring to when it's in a shadowy area. Doubling the light could change your miss chance from 50% to 25%