PDA

View Full Version : Best Monster Manual after MMI(3.5)?

Protecar
2010-05-30, 05:59 PM
So I'm looking to spend 40-60ish American dollars on some 3.5 books and was thinking a monster manual would be a good idea. I already have access to the core trio(thanks to a friend), so I was wondering what would be the next best Monster Manual after that?

In case anyone was curious: the other two books I am considering are Unearthed Arcana(because I can get it for ~$12) and PHBII(Because I figured it's a good general book).

Thoughts?

Mongoose87
2010-05-30, 06:00 PM
It's been said that MMIII was for the players, not the DM. :smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-30, 06:01 PM
MM V and III are my favorite the forme because of the dragonspawn and the latter because of the Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, yeah just because that race:smalltongue:

Protecar
2010-05-30, 06:01 PM
It's been said that MMIII was for the players, not the DM. :smallwink:

Interesting...I'm dm'ing one game but play in one(soon to be two) games. What's MMIII got that makes it so delicious? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: MMIII--2, MMV--1. Interesting. Glad I asked before I just went ahead and jumped on the MMII :smallsmile:

Vaynor
2010-05-30, 06:02 PM
I would advise against getting UA at the moment, as it is available on the SRD, and instead focus on getting books you can't access online for free.

It's not technically a monster manual, but I'd suggest getting the Fiend Folio, and then the MMIII after that.

The MMIII is good for players because of the many great playable monsters included in the book.

MMII is good, but it's also 3.0, not 3.5.

Protecar
2010-05-30, 06:04 PM
I would advise against getting UA at the moment, as it is available on the SRD, and instead focus on getting books you can't access online for free.

It's not technically a monster manual, but I'd suggest getting the Fiend Folio, and then the MMIII after that.

The MMIII is good for players because of the many great playable monsters included in the book.

UA is part of the SRD? I was unaware! Thanks, I'll nix that idea, which would almost pay for a Fiend Folio(ish). Any cliff notes on what makes Fiend Folio good?

Greenish
2010-05-30, 06:06 PM
What's MMIII got that makes it so delicious? :smallbiggrin:The infamous Fleshraker Dinosaur is in MM3, I seem to recall, for example.

JaronK
2010-05-30, 06:07 PM
I'm a fan of MMII because Desmoderu Bats and Warbeasts are in it. But it's 3.0 (it does have an update).

JaronK

nyarlathotep
2010-05-30, 06:07 PM
UA is part of the SRD? I was unaware! Thanks, I'll nix that idea, which would almost pay for a Fiend Folio(ish). Any cliff notes on what makes Fiend Folio good?

Basically a whole collection of outsiders to spice up the outer planes. i also third the MM3

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 06:12 PM
The good thing about the MMIII is that it has races from Eberron, which are nice. It also has quite a few different types of troll, which you may find interesting. There's a crystalline one in there, actually.

Protecar
2010-05-30, 06:13 PM
Basically a whole collection of outsiders to spice up the outer planes. i also third the MM3

Hmmm...well I know at least one of my players was interested in some planar travelling, and I'm kinda partial to it myself(I'm interested in incorporating the Lady of Pain and Planescape at some point if I go that route).

So that brings MMII on the board with MMV, MMIII--3 and the surprise runner of Fiend Folio to 2 votes.

So far it's looking like I'll be looking at the FF and MMIII. You guys are a big help! Thanks! :smallsmile:

Edit: MMIII has races from Eberron eh? Well, that further pushes it ahead in my mind. I have a fancy for the alternate settings.

EvilJoe15
2010-05-30, 06:16 PM
Necromancer Game's Tome of Horrors. Best monster book I've ever read.
WotC, I like the others recommend MM III.

Heliomance
2010-05-30, 06:36 PM
MMIII has the Petal, the single best skillmonkey race ever printed.

Protecar
2010-05-30, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the help all! I ended up going with the MMIII and the Fiend Folio. :smallsmile:

AslanCross
2010-05-30, 08:45 PM
Agreed that MM3 is the best after the core MM.

For the record, here are my opinions regarding the metacore MMs:

MM2: Interesting monsters, but poor execution. CRs are almost all in the very high bracket, yet a lot don't deserve the rating. Others are very low in CR yet incredibly broken (See: Adamantine Horror.) Some concepts are just bizarre: A crocodile with TENTACLES! A giant monkey with an AFRO!

MM3: Good band of challenge ratings. Interesting and unique monsters. Contains undead that AREN'T just another zombie or skeleton. Also, Yugoloths! Eberron PC races! Really interesting and rather well-balanced.

MM4: I actually liked part of this: The Spawn of Tiamat are probably this book's major selling point---that's why a Bluespawn is on the cover. The rest, though? "You were too lazy to put together generic monster race+class levels, so we did it for you." Rather boring. I did like the new statblock format, however.

MM5: Thoon is Thoon, and THOON IS ALL! ALL HAIL THOON! Very interesting way of running Mind Flayers, the Thoon cult is. The Xorvintaal Dragons are also a pretty good addition---these two ideas are good not just for encounters, but for campaign ideas. Some of the monsters are a bit underwhelming, but I think it's the second best metacore MM after the third.
Fact: MM5 is probably the only non-adventure book that acknowledges Tome of Battle's existence. The Arcadian Avenger has Favored Class: Crusader.