PDA

View Full Version : 4e Feat Combo Question???

Lord Vampyre
2010-05-30, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure if this combination works the way I think it does.

I'm considering playing a Shadar-kai Assassin and think the Warrior of the Wild MC feat would come in useful. This would give him access to the Ranger's Hunter's Quarry once per encounter.

Now if I understand this correctly, Hunter's Quarry stays with the target until either changed or until the target dies. Since you can only use it once with this feat you don't get the option of switching the target.

Shadar-kai have access to a feat called Bloodthirsty Hunter, allowing them to switch their Hunter's Quarry as a free action, if they bring their initial quarry down to 0 hitpoints that turn.

If I'm correct, this gives the Shadar-kai Assassin a continued use of the Hunter's Quarry feature as long as he's the one killing his particular quarry.

Have I missed anything, or is there something that I'm missing?

Gralamin
2010-05-30, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure if this combination works the way I think it does.

I'm considering playing a Shadar-kai Assassin and think the Warrior of the Wild MC feat would come in useful. This would give him access to the Ranger's Hunter's Quarry once per encounter.

Now if I understand this correctly, Hunter's Quarry stays with the target until either changed or until the target dies. Since you can only use it once with this feat you don't get the option of switching the target.

Shadar-kai have access to a feat called Bloodthirsty Hunter, allowing them to switch their Hunter's Quarry as a free action, if they bring their initial quarry down to 0 hitpoints that turn.

If I'm correct, this gives the Shadar-kai Assassin a continued use of the Hunter's Quarry feature as long as he's the one killing his particular quarry.

Have I missed anything, or is there something that I'm missing?

This was updated:

Addition (6/10/2008)
Add the following sentence to the end of the second paragraph of the benefit section: “The target you designate as your quarry remains your quarry until the end of your next turn.”

Lord Vampyre
2010-05-30, 10:48 PM
O.K. So, as long as I'm wiping them out every round it will stay up. That way I'm not potentially wasting it on a minion. Not great, and for a feat not exactly exciting either.

Thanks.

Excession
2010-05-30, 11:45 PM
The Bloodthirsty Hunter feat doesn't, as I read it, do anything to extend the duration of the Warrior of the Wild version of quarry. I would rule that it drops as scheduled at the end of your next turn after the turn when you put it up.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-31, 01:25 AM
The Bloodthirsty Hunter feat doesn't, as I read it, do anything to extend the duration of the Warrior of the Wild version of quarry. I would rule that it drops as scheduled at the end of your next turn after the turn when you put it up.

Yeah, all you'd be able to do is switch it to somebody else if you kill the guy on the same turn you used Hunter's Quarry. You might be able to get a little more mileage out of it if you're using Action Points and taking out guys in one hit, unless that Bloodthirsty Hunter thing has a limit to how many times you can change your Quarry per round. It should still end when the duration expires, though.

Thajocoth
2010-05-31, 05:43 PM
Yeah, all you'd be able to do is switch it to somebody else if you kill the guy on the same turn you used Hunter's Quarry. You might be able to get a little more mileage out of it if you're using Action Points and taking out guys in one hit, unless that Bloodthirsty Hunter thing has a limit to how many times you can change your Quarry per round. It should still end when the duration expires, though.

Quarry damage is only once per round, so action points won't help. You can only deal quarry damage from multiclassing twice per encounter. Once on the round you designate your quarry, and once during your following turn.

Excession
2010-05-31, 06:27 PM
The Bloodthirsty Hunter feat also includes: "If you hit the new quarry before the start of your next turn, you can apply your Hunter's Quarry damage even if you already used it this round". Still seems like a weak feat, even for a Ranger base class.

Thajocoth
2010-05-31, 06:40 PM
The Bloodthirsty Hunter feat also includes: "If you hit the new quarry before the start of your next turn, you can apply your Hunter's Quarry damage even if you already used it this round". Still seems like a weak feat, even for a Ranger base class.

Yeah, but now we're up to 3 feats to deal the bonus damage, like, 3 times to up to 3 different creatures instead of twice to up to one creature... REALLY not worth it.