PDA

View Full Version : Forgetting Basic Rules (3.5)

Noedig
2010-05-30, 10:49 PM
So I seem to have forgotten some of the most basic rules of combat in 3.5, specifically how to calculate to hit/damage. I'm not entirely sure what it is that I forget, so I'm going to run down what I remember:

BAB figures mainly into the to hit category. simply add your base to your relevant ability modifier or whatever other modifier you may have, including magical weapon properties and voila! You have to hit. Don't think I missed anything there. Flanking rules of course change this by the normal +2 ect.

Now heres the to damage. Relevant ability modifier added to the damage code of the weapon, example 1d8 for a heavy mace, with a +3 modifier to strength, and the mace is disrupting, which is a +2 giving you a total of +5 to damage. Flanking changes this by +2 or +4 depending on feats, charge changes this by +1 , SA changes this by Xd6, and lots of other modifiers change this. Am I missing something?

This is troubling so if someone could point out what it is that I am missing, I'd be grateful.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-30, 10:53 PM
The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) has all of the basic rules information that you could ever need.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-30, 11:23 PM
Now heres the to damage. Relevant ability modifier added to the damage code of the weapon, example 1d8 for a heavy mace, with a +3 modifier to strength,
OK so far if your Strength is 16-17.

and the mace is disrupting, which is a +2 giving you a total of +5 to damage.
No. You're mixing up enhancement cost and numerical enhancement. A weapon with the disruption (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#disruption) enhancement will boost your cost the same as an extra +2 numerical enhancement, but gives you a different benefit: automatic death to undead if they fail a saving throw. There's no numerical boost either to hit or to damage from disruption, though your weapon must already have at least a +1 numerical enhancement to qualify for disruption to be added. Straight numerical enhancements are added both to attack and to damage.

Flanking changes this by +2 or +4 depending on feats,
You're confusing an attack bonus, which flanking provides, and a damage bonus, which it doesn't.

charge changes this by +1 ,
I'm not sure where you got that. A charge action gives +2 to the attack, and usually nothing to the damage.

SA changes this by Xd6, and lots of other modifiers change this. Am I missing something?
Mostly critical hits, which multiply weapon damage plus anything else that's not represented in dice.

lsfreak
2010-05-30, 11:24 PM
BAB figures mainly into the to hit category. simply add your base to your relevant ability modifier or whatever other modifier you may have, including magical weapon properties and voila! You have to hit. Don't think I missed anything there. Flanking rules of course change this by the normal +2 ect.
Yup, that's it.

Now heres the to damage. Relevant ability modifier added to the damage code of the weapon, example 1d8 for a heavy mace, with a +3 modifier to strength, and the mace is disrupting, which is a +2 giving you a total of +5 to damage.
Nope. Disrupting will add nothing to the damage. It's a +2 mod, but only flat enhancement bonuses and things that explicitly add damage do

Flanking changes this by +2 or +4 depending on feats, charge changes this by +1 , SA changes this by Xd6, and lots of other modifiers change this.
Neither flanking nor charging increases damage.

Eloel
2010-05-30, 11:26 PM
Your to-hit is your BAB+d20. Your damage is your weapon's damage (1d8, 2d6, whatever).

Anything else is a bonus, so they should come into play step by step.
At level 1, you likely only have your strength bonus to worry about.
At latter levels, you have your feats, magic weapon, buffs and class abilities that change that attack bonus or damage. Since you're taking them consciously, and level-by-level, you should be able to easily get used to what you have at a single level, before adding new stuff.

Important things of note:

Flank, with no class abilities or stuff that key off it, only provides +2 to your attack bonus. None to damage.

Charge, with no class abilities or stuff that key off it, only provides +2 to your attack bonus. None to damage. It also gives you -2 to AC.

Edit: Curmudgeon'd

Temotei
2010-05-30, 11:31 PM
Anything else is a bonus

Base attack bonus is a bonus. Just a stupid nitpick. I'll go crawl into my shadowy corner now.

Dr Bwaa
2010-05-31, 12:19 AM
The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) has all of the basic rules information that you could ever need.

Except for anything not available under OGL (like experience or WBL). /nitpicking

The_Pyre
2010-05-31, 04:43 AM
I take it you've been playing 4E. Most of your mistakes arise due to confusion between 4E and 3.5 rules, such as the extra damage for Disrupting and the +1 bonus from charge.

All corrections have already been said, however, so I'll be moving along. :smallwink:

Il_Vec
2010-05-31, 06:26 AM
example 1d8 for a heavy mace, with a +3 modifier to strength

One thing you are missing: If you're wielding your weapon with 2 hands, even if it is one-handed (but not light), you add 1.5x the strength.

Noedig
2010-05-31, 10:03 AM
ok thank you all. Im not sure how I mixed up the flanking/charging rules but I've been set straight. I've always had trouble with numerical enhancements not adding actual bonuses and it seems to still be the case.

AstralFire
2010-05-31, 10:07 AM
That's actually an interesting idea; what if straight +1 bonuses (beyond the first) were abolished and folded into the other effects? Reduces dependence on Greater Magic Weapon. Would also bring weapons up to +10s pre-epic.