PDA

View Full Version : Helmets [P.E.A.C.H.]

Narmy
2010-05-30, 10:50 PM
Helmets are protective armor that offer you protection from critical hits. They do this by granting you a Bonus to your Armor Class against Critical Hit Confirmations.

Light helmets give you a +1 AC bonus against Critical Confirms.
Medium helmets grant you a +2 AC bonus against Critical Confirms.
Heavy helmets offer you a +3 AC bonus against Critical Confirms.

All statistics from helmets stack with that of armor, if a suit of armor comes with a helmet, add the helmets statistics to that armor. The cost of the helmet was included in the cost of the armor. If you desire a helmet made from special materials add the cost of the special materials for the helmet to the total cost that must be paid.

All statistics from helmets stack with that of armor, if a suit of armor comes with a helmet, add the helmets statistics to that armor. The cost of the helmet was included in the cost of the armor. If you desire a helmet made from special materials add the cost of the special materials for the helmet to the total cost that must be paid.

In addition all helmets bestow a -1 penalty to all sound based perception. Wearing an Armet Close Helm with the visor down bestows a total of -1 to Perception.

Combat Facing Variant
If you are using a Combat Facing Variant, when wearing a medium or heavy helmet you incur a -5 penalty to visual perception checks in your peripherals (Your flanks).

Helmets
{table]Type | Cost | AC vs CC | ACP | ASF | Weight | Hardness & Hit Points
Light Proficiency
Coif, Leather | 2 gp | +1 | 0 | 0% | 1 lb. | 2 Hardness, 5 hp
Coif, Dragon Hide | 302 gp |+1 | 0 | 0% | 2 lbs. | 10 Hardness, 10 hp
Medium Proficiency
Coif, Mail or Barbute | 15 gp | +2 | -1 | 0% | 6 lbs. |10 Hardness, 15 hp
Heavy Proficiency
Armet | 30 gp | +3 | -1 | 5% | 8 lbs. | 10 Hardness, 30 hp[/table]

Coif, Leather or Dragon Hide
Made from tanned hides, this helmet is a tight fitting cap that covers the cheeks and sides of the neck. It may also include padding

Coif, Mail
A mail coif is made from many small interlinking rings that includes padding. This style of coif may drape down over your chest slightly. It fully protects your neck and cheeks and is open faced.

Barbute
A visorless, padded helmet that fully protects the cheeks and nose, usually has a T or Y shaped opening for the eyes and mouth.

Armet Close Helm (Closed-Face)
A padded, plate, helm that completely covers the head, neck, and face. It has slits for vision and breathing, and the face cover may be lifted. Lifting the face cover allows you to breathe and see easier but subtracts from the helmets protection by 1. A lifted cover is also prone to falling back down with rigourous movement.

Special Material Helmets

Mithral
{table]Type | Cost
Medium | +450 Gold
Heavy | +600 Gold[/table]

Increase Hardness by 5, Reduce ACP by 1, Reduce weight by 1/2.

Adamantine
{table]Type | Cost
Medium | +1000 Gold
Heavy | +1500 Gold[/table]

Increase Hardness by 10, and Reduce ACP by 1.
Medium helmets gain 5 hit points.
Heavy helmets gain 10 hit points.

Ferrin
2010-05-31, 01:11 AM
I like it, though you should add some minor helm only enchantments, like darkvision, low-light vision, protection versus gaze attacks and the like. Also; have all helms have at least 5% ASF, else every wizard and sorcerer would want one. Oh, and I assume that it covers the head slot? What happens with Masterwork Helms?

Just some thoughts and ideas. :smallbiggrin:

Narmy
2010-05-31, 01:50 AM
You can obviously already make helm only enchantments such as low-light vision, darkvision and the like via standard magical item creation.

This includes protection from gaze attacks.

DM's themselves may also rule that having an Armet or full faced help could protect a wearer from vision based attack spells or grant additional saves vs blinding effects.

The reason not all helms have 5% ASF is for realism purposes.

Aside from that, putting 5% ASF on a leather coif doesn't seem right to me.

and the main point is to have ALL classes use them, one thing that will deter wizards is ACP, and weight.

That should be good enough.

Aside from that, it never detered wizards from using the oldschool magical helmet items in the first place.

It obviously takes the head slot. If it didn't take the head slot then I don't know what the **** kind of crack people are smoking.

Masterwork helmets do what they do for armor. I didn't feel the need to modify that as its straight forward.

150 GP extra lowers the ACP by 1. Same as all other armors.

All mithral, adamantine, or Dragonhide coifs count as masterwork. Thus they already get the acp reduced by 1.

arguskos
2010-05-31, 01:54 AM
I always grumbled about there not being non-magical helmets. I'll double-check this in the morning, but, it looks alright overall. You have the Argus Stamp of Approval.

Salbazier
2010-05-31, 01:57 AM
Is it use the head slot for magical items? can I still use magical items (other than helmet) that use head slot while wearing this helm?

And I am sure in PF, but back in 3.5 the heavier amor like plates already include stuff like helms and gauntlet

Ferrin
2010-05-31, 01:59 AM
You can obviously already make helm only enchantments such as low-light vision, darkvision and the like via standard magical item creation.

This includes protection from gaze attacks.

DM's themselves may also rule that having an Armet or full faced help could protect a wearer from vision based attack spells or grant additional saves vs blinding effects.

The reason not all helms have 5% ASF is for realism purposes.

Aside from that, putting 5% ASF on a leather coif doesn't seem right to me.

and the main point is to have ALL classes use them, one thing that will deter wizards is ACP, and weight.

That should be good enough.

Aside from that, it never detered wizards from using the oldschool magical helmet items in the first place.

It obviously takes the head slot. If it didn't take the head slot then I don't know what the **** kind of crack people are smoking.

Masterwork helmets do what they do for armor. I didn't feel the need to modify that as its straight forward.

150 GP extra lowers the ACP by 1. Same as all other armors.

All mithral, adamantine, or Dragonhide coifs count as masterwork. Thus they already get the acp reduced by 1.

It's nice to have some things made clear, even though they should obvious. Though the Masterwork part wasn't, the cost at least.

Narmy
2010-05-31, 02:05 AM
I know that some armors come with helmets.

Keep the helmets stats separate, they stack with the armor. The cost is included with the armor.

Basically if an armor has a helmet (There are two armors I believe) then you just got a free helmet of whatever type you want.

Once again, all penalties stack and such.

No you may not wear other magical items and such while wearing a helmet. A helmet takes the head slot.

Mongoose87
2010-05-31, 07:49 AM
Ummm... am I the only one who wouldn't take a penalty to perception for AC that only works against crit confirms?

Spiryt
2010-05-31, 07:54 AM
Yes, those helmets are definitely too weak, or at least won't work in "standard" D&D ic world.

That said, they may have sense, since closed helmets were historically worn in environment where wearer couldn't care less about sound and vision of details of great distances, but definitely cared about spears and arrows trying to stick themselves in his face.

That said, bonus is too weak for 3.5/pathfinder purposes.

Narmy
2010-05-31, 12:18 PM
So you're telling me that you won't take a -1 penalty to ACP, and Perception for a +3 AC against Critical Hits.

Are you referring to the -5 peripheral vision. Do you even comprehend what that is?

What it essentially means is that IF you're using a COMBAT FACING SYSTEM VARIANT. Then you take a -5 to perception checks total to see in your flanks. In a combat facing system variant you already take a -5 to those, and a -10 to rear. This would make it -10 to both.

After consulting with my friend, I will lower the -5 peripheral to around -2 for the lighter helmets, and keep it higher for the Armet. Remember, YOU do not have to use a Combat Facing Variant, Thus the peripheral DOES NOT APPLY to your games when using my helmets.

However, if you're going to throw away my homebrew helmets based on the fact that YOU don't comprehend a simple Facing System Inclusion into the system. Then what the hell? Seriously.

It's a -1 perception penalty for a +3 ACP. Do you honestly think that is not fair?

Dencero
2010-06-01, 04:46 PM
It need some work, definitely, but I like the idea. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Narmy
2010-06-01, 11:01 PM
May I ask what work exactly needs to be done on this.

As everyone I speak and show it to now, and many of them are D&D veterans whom I know and trust to be quite effective when it comes to systems of balance and interest. Say that it looks good and is pretty much finished if not finished already.

So thus, I present a finished product and you tell me that "It looks good but needs a lot of work" What the heck exactly does it need work on? Perhaps some helpful criticism instead of "It looks good and needs some work"

Seriously man.