PDA

View Full Version : Commoners as perfect communication? [3.5, Debunked]

Fortuna
2010-05-30, 10:52 PM
OK, this trick probably doesn't work for some reason, but I like the idea.

On a natural 20, you hit whatever you were aiming at, right? So if you aim a thrown sheet of paper at your friend on another continent, do you get communication going? If so, doesn't throwing stuff become the ultimate mail service? If not, why not?

Private-Prinny
2010-05-30, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the range increment on a sheet of paper doesn't span continents. And besides, even if that did work, you would only have a 5% chance of making the shot.

Arbitrarity
2010-05-30, 10:57 PM
No, because ranged weapons have limited range, based on their range increment and a multiplier depending if they are thrown or projectile. For example, a longbow has a range increment of 120 ft (?), and is a projectile weapon, which can fire up to 10 increments. This means a longbow has a maximum range of 1200 ft, unless it has longer range via increase in size of range increments, such as with Far Shot, Distance weapon, etc. A paper airplane probably wouldn't have an increment of more than 10 feet.

Heliomance
2010-05-30, 11:00 PM
Distant Shot would make this work, but it's an Epic feat.

Fortuna
2010-05-30, 11:03 PM
I didn't know about the hard limit. That sucks,

The Glyphstone
2010-05-31, 12:18 AM
Plus, you'd - normally - need line of sight to your target. Even without taking curvature of the earth into account (which, admittedly, is not guaranteed in fantasy settings), you couldn't make the Spot check to see who you're throwing to.

Temotei
2010-05-31, 12:38 AM
Plus, you'd - normally - need line of sight to your target. Even without taking curvature of the earth into account (which, admittedly, is not guaranteed in fantasy settings), you couldn't make the Spot check to see who you're throwing to.

Perhaps some scrying could help.

Ferrin
2010-05-31, 01:00 AM
Perhaps some scrying could help.

Hard to aim when your target is on a TV. Really, it doesn't help, or shouldn't. :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2010-05-31, 02:46 AM
Hard to aim when your target is on a TV. Really, it doesn't help, or shouldn't. :smallbiggrin:

It shouldn't but does it? If there's nothing physically blocking you from your target, you have line of effect, so could a Scrying spell augment that by giving you (pseudo) line of sight? :smalltongue:

It would be horribly impractical and weak, but I can just imagine an epic Arcane Archer scrying and shooting someone from three continents away with a Phase Arrow. Through four trees, a castle wall, and a mountain. Or... hmm. What about a regular archer wielding a sling with Brilliant Energy bullets? :smallbiggrin:

2010-05-31, 02:48 AM
so no commoners; but non-casting epic mail delivery person! and i know, spot checks: "so your saying i cant see the god damn dragon even with my +1680 goggles of spot!?"

Jothki
2010-05-31, 03:14 AM
So what kind of range increment does an improvised thrown projectile have?

Ravens_cry
2010-05-31, 03:21 AM
So what kind of range increment does an improvised thrown projectile have?
To the D20-Mobile!
*spinning D20 symbol with sprightly brass sound effect*
10 feet, old chum. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm)

Kyeudo
2010-05-31, 03:41 AM
Talking is a free action up to 25 words. Hearing doesn't take an action. Line up an infinite line of commoners. Have each repeat what the last guy said. Tell the first guy in line your message. It travels over the course of one round to the end of the line and is delivered. Get a long enough line and you have FTL communication.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-31, 03:56 AM
Talking is a free action up to 25 words. Hearing doesn't take an action. Line up an infinite line of commoners. Have each repeat what the last guy said. Tell the first guy in line your message. It travels over the course of one round to the end of the line and is delivered. Get a long enough line and you have FTL communication.
By RAW, talking is an indefinite free action. BUT (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm#freeActions) "Speaking more than few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action."

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-31, 04:24 AM

This of course brings up the Chinese Whispers dilemma. The likelihood of the other end getting the right message is probably quite low.

Maybe line them up then Commoner Railgun envelopes instead.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-31, 04:38 AM
This of course brings up the Chinese Whispers dilemma. The likelihood of the other end getting the right message is probably quite low.

Maybe line them up then Commoner Railgun envelopes instead.
*looks over smoking remains of targeted city*
I guess they wanted to . . .
*removes smoked lenses*
. . .send a message.
YYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAH! ! !

Drakevarg
2010-05-31, 04:39 AM
Pretty sure you're supposed to put the glasses ON in order to complete the one-liner.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-31, 04:42 AM
Pretty sure you're supposed to put the glasses ON in order to complete the one-liner.
I like looking people in the eye when I slay them. . .
*removes glasses*
with puns.
YYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAH! ! !

Oops

Kish
2010-05-31, 07:08 AM
I didn't know about the hard limit. That sucks,
Oh, I disagree. If you could actually throw a paper airplane to another continent without even being epic? That would suck. I'm glad it's not going to be an entry in the "silly RAW" thread.