PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a character comments/tips appreciated

FloatingHead
2010-05-31, 12:38 AM
doing it over will post soon sorry about the great wall.:smallredface:I just selected all when i finished filling it in and should have looked before posting.
About Hadyn Arthfael:

Hadyn was born a barbarian child in the Frozen Wilds Beyond neverwinter. His natural curiosity and wanderlust drew him away from his home and into the cities. He soon found work as a smith in neverwinter and it was there that he met his good friend John Wesley the Rogue.

For almost two years when he was not working the forge making farming tools and horseshoes, he was alongside John on his latest "job" as he called it. The last of their legally ambiguous exploits would change Hadyn's life forever. John's latest target was Gregorio Imalais, an unpleasant, though not particularly powerful wizard.John's plan was to sneak in as he slept and raid his vast store of magical tomes,trinkets and other arcane curiosities and get out before Imalais ever knew they had come.

But as with all adventures, things did not go according to plan. Hadyn and John had almost escaped with the wizard's good when one wrong step on John's part triggered a magical glyph on the floor that awakened Imalais with an ear bending shriek. The wizard burst from his bed chamber hurling expletives and spells in more or less equal measure Hadyn and John rushed madly about the large house dodging spells and frantically seeking an escape. Just as they reached the 2nd floor window an acidic orb struck john's face Sending him to the floor shrieking in agony. before he could help his friend to his feet, a blast of lightning turned the door to splinters revealing Imalais with Lightning dancing around his fingertips and fire glowing in his eyes. He charged the wizard dagger in hand but was swept off his feet as the wizard turned to John who crawled onto his knees,the left side of his face a burnt, melted mess begging the wizard for mercy. Imalais responded by firing a green ray into his chest causing him to explode into dust. But in his moment of vengeance, Imalais had momentarily forgotten about Haydn, and only remembered as he felt his dagger pierce him between his shoulders and through his heart, the point sticking out of his chest. He jerked around and tried to speak a spell but only blood came out, and he fell to the floor dead. Knowing John was beyond saving he gathered his loot and the wizard's spellbook, said a prayer to Kelemvor, hoping for a favorable afterlife for his fallen friend and left the building and soon neverwinter itself.

Since then Hadyn has wandered the realms studying magical lore and trying to do anything but remember that not all adventures have happy endings, and sometimes the people you love do not come back with you.

drengnikrafe
2010-05-31, 12:43 AM
I'm going to say the thing I say to my PCs the first time they make their own character.

1) What are you trying to do with it, exactly?
2) How will it work in the game world?
3) How important is optimization to you?

sofawall
2010-05-31, 12:45 AM
Omgwalloftextdearlordformatplease

Riva
2010-05-31, 01:43 AM
Yeeeeesss.... thats uh... please, at least crop the Hp gained per level table.

Keld Denar
2010-05-31, 02:05 AM
yea, I'm sure you'll find you get a lot better results if you crop that down. All we really need is level breakdown, feats, and maybe only the skills you are planning on putting ranks in and what spells you might plan on knowing.

I'm sure lots of people would be willing to help, but thats a lot to sift through.

Salbazier
2010-05-31, 02:07 AM
If you wanna post complete sheet, How about putting it in sites like myth-weavers or dndsheets and just post the link? Otherwise, please separate the backstory into paragraphs and cut the class feature information. I almost thought he got Mighty Rage already...

Ferrin
2010-05-31, 02:15 AM
Allright, first of all... The Dungeon Master's Guide has a nice PrC for you 'Arcane Trickster', it advances both your spellcasting and your SA damage. Also; you can be a barbarian without barbarian levels, you could be a lithe barbarian favoring the surprise when hunting.

So your character could be Rogue3/Wizard5/Arcane Trickster8

The barbarian levels do nothing for you, children don't have class levels, and his good friend is a rogue. So it wouldn't be surprising if he never got any barbarian levels.

Lev
2010-05-31, 02:21 AM
All I saw was the prologue, which is a great introduction if he was a storybook character but generally you want to write down the character as a developed being, as in, write down things that root him into existence. Good help with this is referring you to page 110 of the players handbook 3.5, arguably the most important page in all of the books.

You can either roll all your stats to have a mechanically pleasing character then make the background later or make the character first for a more organic approach-- if you are a naturally good RPer you can use the organic approach to cause less holes in the character's past creating a more complete and real existence for him/her, but if not then taking a mechanical approach will help ensure at least when you make a good or bad mechanical check... you know why.