PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate size shield?

2xMachina
2010-05-31, 01:51 AM
I'm wondering, what happens if you wear an inappropriate size shield?

There isn't anything that stops you from doing that... Armor, yes (but still not stated), but shield... You can use an oversized shield for no penalty right? (Other than shield bash -attack roll that is)

QuantumSteve
2010-05-31, 02:12 AM
Unlike weapons, there are [u]no[/b] rules for inappropriately sized armor (or, therefore, shields). You could homebrew rules for inappropriately sized armor and shields if you want.

I can't see how armor would work, but maybe you could take a -4 armor check penalty for shields and size them like weapons.
Of course the handles for bucklers, small, and large shields are radically different. Maybe you would have to modify the shield for use.

Reynard
2010-05-31, 02:28 AM
This is made pointless by the fact that the AC doesn't increase as you increase the size of the armour/shield, only the weight and cost.

Lev
2010-05-31, 02:30 AM
It's not pointless if you intend to throw the shield by calculating it by weight.

arguskos
2010-05-31, 02:38 AM
Or if you use the shield as a weapon. Since weapon damage clearly increases (even for shields), a larger shield means larger damage... did we just find a HILARIOUS loophole for truly massive damage?

InaVegt
2010-05-31, 02:40 AM
Or if you use the shield as a weapon. Since weapon damage clearly increases (even for shields), a larger shield means larger damage... did we just find a HILARIOUS loophole for truly massive damage?

Not really, because shield bashing turns the shield into a weapon.

On the other hand... I guess this explains why some female adventurers wear bikini armor (read tiny armor or stuff like that.) It's cheaper.

2010-05-31, 02:44 AM
or have a ridiculous gnome using a tower sheild snagged from the corpse of a frost giant. so more like a shield/boat/house; i now have my next character concept for a wacky campaign!

shield bashing as a weapon; wouldnt it count as a weapon of that size for weapon penalty purposes?

mabriss lethe
2010-05-31, 02:51 AM
by the same token, you could have a fine sized animated tower shield: A nigh indestructible fly sized speck of metal that inexplicably manages to provide total cover.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-31, 02:55 AM
You've still got to be able to carry the shield about, which is purely a function of Strength (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingCapacity).

However, this mostly just places restrictions on overly large shields. You'd get the same AC boost if you wear a diminutive buckler on a bracelet as if you strapped on one of appropriate size.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-31, 05:00 AM
You don't get any bonus from improperly sized armor or shields You can use an inappropriately sized weapon because there specific rules for using them. There are no such rules for armor and shields.

You can still wear them, but you don't get anymore AC then for wearing a bracelet or a table.

2xMachina
2010-05-31, 10:58 AM
Tiny and smaller armor gives half the AC though.

Hmm, I think I better ask the DM...

It'll be funny though, wearing wrong sized shield.

snoopy13a
2010-05-31, 11:04 AM
I suppose an inappropriately large shield could be considered a de facto tower shield.

Myou
2010-05-31, 11:07 AM
Tiny and smaller armor gives half the AC though.

No it doesn't. :smallconfused:

2xMachina
2010-05-31, 11:16 AM
No it doesn't. :smallconfused:

SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)

Armor For Unusual Creatures
Tiny or smaller1
1. Divide armor bonus by 2.

^SRD has it. No saying on shields though.

awa
2010-05-31, 11:47 AM
armor that's to small gives no bonus very small "creatures" gain less benefit from armor

2xMachina
2010-05-31, 11:55 AM
Does not apply to shields though.

I mean, yes, I can see not being able to wear an armor that's too tight, or too loose, but a shield is just something you hold in your hand. You can hold a Gargantuan warhammer when tiny if you want. You just get a horrid penalty to attack.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-31, 12:26 PM
You can hold a Gargantuan warhammer when tiny if you want. You just get a horrid penalty to attack. You can hold it, but you can't attack with it.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all. One size increase (from Tiny to Small) moves the warhammer from one-handed to two-handed. A second size increase (to Medium) makes it impossible for the Tiny creature to wield.

Reynard
2010-05-31, 12:28 PM
Does not apply to shields though.

Shields are listed as armour in the PHB. Thus it applies to shields.

Greenish
2010-05-31, 12:36 PM
You can hold it, but you can't attack with it.Without Titan bloodline.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-31, 12:53 PM
Shields are listed as armour in the PHB. Thus it applies to shields.
No, that doesn't make sense. It says "Divide armor bonus by 2." Shields do not provide an armor bonus; they provide a shield bonus. The rule does not make reference to, nor does it apply to, any shield bonus.

2xMachina
2010-05-31, 12:56 PM
Without Titan bloodline.

Pixie with Titan bloodlike, how that works IDK... Maybe chain breeding. (Bloodline is diluted) Or use of expansion/compression powers.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-31, 01:21 PM
I'd treat it as nonproficiency, personally. . .

Myou
2010-05-31, 03:22 PM
SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures)

^SRD has it. No saying on shields though.

How bizarre. I never noticed that.