PDA

View Full Version : Perception and Stealth Skill [Grit and Greatness]

InaVegt
2010-05-31, 03:33 AM
Okay, first... you might be wondering what Grit and Greatness is. Now that happens to be easy to answer, it's my homebrew d20 project in early infancy.

Now, this is an overhaul of 6 skills in 3.5, which are condensed into two skills in Grit and Greatness.

Perception (Wisdom)
This skill replaces Spot, Listen, and Search. It can additionally be used for the senses of Taste, Smell, Touch, and some supernatural senses.

This skill is used to determine your ability to detect things and beings, in normal circumstances, you are considered to be taking 10 on this skill. Inform your Game Master of your total skill bonus before game start.

When detecting something that doesn't attempt to be hidden, assume it rolled a 0 on its Stealth check, and that its skill ranks don't apply.

Distance based penalties (These don't stack with themselves, but do stack with all other modifiers)
{table]25+ feet|-1
50+ feet|-2
100+feet|-3
250+ feet|-4
500+ feet|-5
1000+ feet|-6
2500+ feet|-7
5000+ feet|-8
10000+ feet|target is invisible[/table]

Creatures with scent have a +2 bonus to detect creatures and objects with a smell.

Creatures with telepathy have a +3 bonus to detect creatures that aren't immune to mind effecting effects, but only if they are within the telepathic creature's telepathy range.

Stealth (Dexterity)
This skill replaces Hide, Move Silently, and Sleight of Hands. It can do all things originally described in those skill descriptions, except as noted here. When trying to remain unseen, the usual size based modifiers apply.

When trying to hide or unnoticeably take an object, use your stealth ranks and dexterity modifier, but use the object's size modifier.

Ferrin
2010-05-31, 03:35 AM
May I suggest looking at Pathfinder? They implement a lot of the changes you're going for, but more fleshed out with more skills reworked, Acrobatics for example.

InaVegt
2010-05-31, 03:38 AM
May I suggest looking at Pathfinder? They implement a lot of the changes you're going for, but more fleshed out with more skills reworked, Acrobatics for example.

While they merged some skills, they didn't make the other changes I made. Their perception still follows the obnoxious -1 penalty/10 feet rule, etc.

Also, I'm planning to make a few more bigger changes, but I figured I'd get the smaller ones out of the way first.

Ferrin
2010-05-31, 03:40 AM
While they merged some skills, they didn't make the other changes I made. Their perception still follows the obnoxious -1 penalty/10 feet rule, etc.

Also, I'm planning to make a few more bigger changes, but I figured I'd get the smaller ones out of the way first.

Hmm allright, didn't notice that. I'll see what changed right after I wake up. :smallbiggrin: