PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Freeport Series

Grimtina
2010-05-31, 08:19 AM
“The most amazing thing about Freeport is that it continues to exist at all. The feuding pirates should have torn it apart two hundred years ago. The Continental nations should have wiped it from the map long ago. Barbarians should have razed it to the ground. Some storm or fire should have laid it low. Somehow though Freeport has survived each crisis. More than that, the city has prospered. The gods must truly have a sense of humor.”
—Admiral Hrothy

Part 1 - Death in Freeport

http://www.krath.org/arania/private/ForumRPGs/Freeport/freeport-harbor.jpg

Slowly, the Messy Beast, a ship worth its name, draws into the busy docks of Freeport. Within a few minutes, you will finally be off the ship, and that's just about time.

You have come to know each other, as the crew of the ship has not been very talkative and did not trust you land-rats either. Plus, they have been fighting almost the whole trip, and at times you barely escaped getting in the middle of it. And of course, the food was terrible.

Standing in the bow, you have a moment to contemplate why it was you have come here, and what you hope to get out of this place.

Salbazier
2010-05-31, 09:11 AM
Argent watches the activity of the busy ports. He have heard about the Freeport's reputation before taking ship. Of course no one can know about a city just by watching its port. Every port must more or less look (and smell) similiar. Still, he doubt it will be a pleasant place to stay.

Argent let a go a sigh. He have no plan to stay long here anyway. His first plan is getting away from Absalom. That's now dealt with. Next is figuring where he really want to go. At least Freeport may give him some space and time to think about it.

He turn to his fellow passengers "Well, its about good time we finally arrived. Surely this ship and her crew live up to her name. All of you have never came here as well, right? What do you think about this city?

tiny tim
2010-05-31, 12:01 PM
An extremely short gnome carrying a large bag walks over.
Looks to me like a hive of scum and villainy. All the better to find materials of questionable legality.

WildPyre
2010-05-31, 12:10 PM
Quinten pushes back his hood, exposing his face to the salty mists, his companion latched onto his side like a shy child clinging to her father.

I certainly hope this will be a short visit. I don't think I'd enjoy spending any extended about of time here, it doesn't seem that much better than the ship.

Salbazier
2010-05-31, 12:47 PM
Neither do I, Quentin. But, I hope there will be something of interest to be found here. I already endured sailing on this beast to come here, may as well make some worth it.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-01, 08:02 AM
Leon

"Even the darkest places are still filled with people and all people deserve a chance to be saved." Leon was wearing his armor this day, something he had not done since the day he boarded the ship. He had trained religiously with his blade everyday and he cleaned his armor twice a day.

WildPyre
2010-06-01, 07:01 PM
Quinten grimaced at the paladin's words and turned to look out over the side of the ship, taking in the sight of the less than savory docks, the stench of the city mixing with the sea's salty spray.

It stinks...

He gently pats the girl's head, hushing her as he turns back to adress his fellows.

Yes well, I'm not here to save people... only money. My family has lost far too many shipments to the scum here and somebody needs to put a stop to it.

Salbazier
2010-06-02, 01:06 PM
How do you plan to do it? The thieves guild certainly run strong in this city.

WildPyre
2010-06-02, 11:44 PM
The young man crosses her arms, casting his gaze around to the crew of the ship, then back out to the harbor, watching the dock workers loading and unloading the various ships anchored there.

I want to talk to the workers... starting with the foreman. I wouldn't be surprised to find that somebody in the organization is in on the thefts.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-03, 12:54 PM
"More likely is that they are all in on the thefts. I doubt you will get much from any of them. Even those not involved are probably being threatened into silence. I doubt there is much you could do to convince them to talk."

Grimtina
2010-06-05, 09:58 AM
The ship begins the docking procedures, and none of you can miss to notice the small bag of silver changing hands between the captain and a tall, one-eyed bald man standing at the docks waiting. He grins at the captain, does a mock bow and leaves. The captain looks rather sullen as he turns back.

Salbazier
2010-06-05, 02:49 PM
With no idea where to go from here, following the wind wouldn't make it any worse.

"Come. Let's us get off from this ship"

Argent walks down toward the docks. He stops by the captain to talk to him.

"Well Captain, thank you for your service up till now. It certainly had not been an uninteresting journey. I think it is time for us to leave now"

"Pray tell me, what was that before? That man doesn't look like custom officer to me"

Too blunt eh?

Diplomacy roll, to make him more friendly so he will answer
[roll0]
Bluff, if there's any use in giving him good impression
[roll1]
Sense motive, to try to figure what he may not tell in his answer
[roll2]

Salbazier
2010-06-05, 02:51 PM
Ugh, reroll

Diplomacy
[roll0]
Bluff
[roll1]
Sense Motive
[roll2]

WildPyre
2010-06-06, 12:36 PM
Quinten follows along, heading off of the boat with his companion Sasha still clinging to his hip. He raises a brow as he looks over Argent's shoulder, listening in to the conversation.

Yes he did seem a bit unsavory...

May as well make my own sense motive roll.

[roll0]

Grimtina
2010-06-07, 07:47 AM
The captain is clearly angry at the mention. "The local gangs and pirates have established their own tolls. A lot of ships and caravans have vanished, and supposedly they are behind it. Now the thing is, the guard has investigated the rumors and deemed them just that, rumors. And indeed, two more ships and a caravan have gone missing even when paying up to them.

But if we do not pay, we will get little cargo because the merchants believe the story of the criminals. By the same reason we can't just report them; word would spread that we are not "protected" - and I can't afford any more losses."

Arq Kujos
2010-06-07, 10:18 AM
"And who exactly are you paying?" the Paladin asked as if he planed to do something about it.

WildPyre
2010-06-07, 12:02 PM
Hmm, that must be why so many of my family's shipments have gone missing. It looks like this is going to be harder than I first though, though I do like a good mystery.

Can we get some cake?

We'll get you some cake later, we have business to attend to right now.

Quinten chuckles and pats the girl on the head, smiling down at her.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-07, 12:05 PM
The small girl caught Leon's interest. "I do not mean to overstep my bounds, but is it wise to bring a child into so dangerous a place?"

WildPyre
2010-06-07, 12:20 PM
Quinten smirks as he looks over at the paladin, his blue eyes catching the light as he looks out from under the hood of his parade armor.

Of course it's a good idea... she's my bodyguard of sorts.

The catlike girl giggles and nods enthusiasticly lifting up one of her large paws and extending the vicious looking claws inside it.

I'm stronger than I look.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-07, 12:23 PM
Leon smiled and squatted down to look the little girl in the eyes. "Are you know? Well, please excuse my doubt." He bowed slightly to the little girl and then stood back up and looked at her "protectee." "So, what information do you have about the attacks on your family's ships?"

WildPyre
2010-06-07, 12:36 PM
Looking the girl in the eyes required little bending as she stood at roughly five and a half feet tall. She smiled happily though and let out a small purr at the attention, squinting her large red eyes. Her appearance is obviously non-human but she doesn't seem to be of any race you're familiar with.

Nya, s'okay!

Quinten himself meerly shrugs at the question.
None really... I didn't even know there were attacks. We thought it was just thefts.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-07, 12:41 PM
OOC: My bad. Did realize she was that tall. Also, I feel it is time to start "partying up".

"Well, it sounds to me like this city is under criminal law. That is why I am here. I'm going to give the true, honest, and legitimate authorities a chance, even if it costs me my life. The hardest part is finding a place to start." Leon cast an eye at the strange girl. "Perhaps our meeting here is more than simply chance?" Leon held out his hand in friendship.

Salbazier
2010-06-07, 01:01 PM
Argent watches the amusing exchange between the paladin and the catgirl with a smile in his face. Yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea "I'll help you as well, if you would have it. I do not have any other things to do at the moment other than sightseeing this city... and that is not a promising endeavour."

WildPyre
2010-06-07, 01:19 PM
Quinten chuckles as the shy catgirl retreats a bit, half hiding under his cloak. He smiles at Leon and Argent, shaking the paladin's offered hand.

That sounds like an excelent idea. The more the merrier and whatnot.

Grimtina
2010-06-07, 01:32 PM
"We are paying whoever wears the blue shirt with the red buttons," the captain explains. "It is considered unlucky to wear red and blue together in these parts, at least among sailors. That's why they picked those colors. It is someone different every time. Who is really behind this, no idea. But the name "batface" was mentioned a few times."

WildPyre
2010-06-07, 03:44 PM
Batface? Ah well doesn't he sound like a charming fellow.

Sasha took that opertunity to scrunch up her face and stick out her tongue, apparently finding the name "Batface" distasteful.

Stoopit bats are yicky.

Heh. We'll have to be on the lookout for these men in red and black... maybe we can convince one to tell us what's going on... or to lead us to this "Batface" and get the information straight from the source.

tiny tim
2010-06-08, 10:34 PM
I think we should indeed.

He might have some of the special components I've been looking for.

Salbazier
2010-06-09, 01:50 AM
"Captain, do you know where we can find more info about this 'batface'?"

Grimtina
2010-06-09, 08:55 PM
The captain shruggs. "There is talk about him - or her, who can really say - all around Freeport, but nothing specific. I heard rumors batfaces' minions are frequenting the "Golden Goose" tavern, but i do not even kn ow where this tavern is."

Arq Kujos
2010-06-09, 08:59 PM
"If we can find out where Batface's minions are, I can be very convincing. I will get them to talk."

WildPyre
2010-06-09, 09:07 PM
Quinten nods decisevly.

Well then it sounds like we should pay the Golden Goose a visit. I could use a drink anyway.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-09, 09:08 PM
"We have to find it first. I imagine that most folks would not speak to us very readily."

WildPyre
2010-06-09, 09:10 PM
Oh? I've found weighing a man's hand down with a few gold often has the strange effect of loosening his lips. It really shouldn't be hard to find a tavern.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-09, 09:13 PM
"Then by all means, please lead the way. I'll be hapy to defer to your expertise on the matter."

WildPyre
2010-06-09, 09:21 PM
He nods again and places a hand on Sasha's back, leading the girl and the others down the pier in search of some folks who might know where such a seedy place as the Golden Goose might be.

Very well then, come along... nothing to be gained by standing around here.

Note, he's not foolish enough to go trapsing down any dark alleys or anything like that. Just looking for unsavory sailor types hanging around the docks.

Grimtina
2010-06-10, 07:45 AM
Finally getting off the ship, the small group finds themselves approached by a jolly looking fat man in a red vest and black pants. He starts talking to you incredibly fast.

"New to Freeport, are ya? Well, there are a few things you should know if you value your coins, your life, and maybe even your soul.

Put your purse near your jewels. Freeport is notorious for thievery, and many people lose their fortunes within three steps of the boat that carried them here. Stick your valuables in places no thief would go.

Mind your manners. Don’t like half-orcs? Keep it to yourself. Say the wrong thing, and you’re bound to lose a few teeth. Say it twice, and you’ll be lucky to escape with your life.

Use small coins. You might have a lot of money, but you won’t for long if you’re not careful. Pay for everything inthe smallest coins possible, within reason. Don’t pay for a sword in pennies: haul out a thousand copper bits, and you’ll get kicked into the gutter.

Keep your eyes on your shoes. Gaping about is a sure way to get robbed, stabbed, raped, or all three. If you’re lost, look for the walls. Freeport doesn’t have any conveniences like signs—most folks can’t read anyway. The best landmark is the Old City Walls. You can’t miss them. If they’re in front of you, you’re in the Docks; behind you, you’re in Drac’s End; to the east, you’re in the Merchant District; to the west, you’re either in the Eastern District or about to enter a world of pain - that’s Scurvytown or Bloodsalt if yer not paying attention.

The Watch doesn’t give a damn. The Freeport Watch is a sorry excuse for law enforcement. You feel you’ve been wronged? Get over it. The Watch doesn’t care one whit for your troubles.

The Sea Lord’s in charge. His word is law, and that’s all you need to know.
Stay out of Bloodsalt. Unless you’re an orc or goblin, don’t go here. You’re going to ignore this advice, but consider yourself warned. Avoid the Scurvytown Prostitutes. The Docks aren’t much better, but odds are that except for the few coins you spent there, you’ll come away with everything you brought with you.

Ah yes, and most important - don’t trust anyone. Not even me."

With that, the fat man turns around and greets the next group of obvious newcomers in much the same way.

tiny tim
2010-06-10, 07:32 PM
What a charming fellow. How much you wanna bet the Golden Goose is in Scurvytown?

Salbazier
2010-06-11, 04:11 AM
The cityfolk have its own idea of 'welcome' apparently "Not on my money. So, should we go there? If not Golden Goose, we certainly can find some scums who know about it"

WildPyre
2010-06-11, 04:24 AM
A capital idea! It's sure to be exciting at the least, and informative at the best.

Quinten nods and tucks his coin purse into his armor for safe keeping, making sure it's no easy target for pickpockets.

I have a feeling it won't take us long to draw attention to ourselves... I doubt they get many people wearing parade armor there.

Salbazier
2010-06-11, 04:29 AM
Yes, that may a good thing or maybe not. I hope these people at least have some good sense not to find trouble with us.

Grimtina
2010-06-11, 08:24 AM
Making your way into the city, you notice you get a lot of glances. Most of them seem resentful about not having some easy targets here. A lot of folks just try to ignore you.

Salbazier
2010-06-12, 11:37 PM
Let's just try by asking direction

How about Diplomacy check to gather info about golden goose and maybe batface as well
[roll0]

Grimtina
2010-06-13, 06:54 AM
Most people shake their heads, not knowing the place, and some who seem to know vaguely what you are talking about run the other way rather quickly. You don't get the impression you'll be making friends this way.

Arq Kujos
2010-06-13, 07:41 AM
After a frustrating and unfruitful search, Leon was starting to grow annoyed. "I doubt anyone who knows anything will tell us. Perhaps we are going about this the wrong way. Why don't we just go to the docks and find one of these men wearing red and blue. Surely they will know where the Golden Goose is."

WildPyre
2010-06-13, 04:18 PM
Quinten sighs and nods, stopping where he was and turning around to head back to the docks.

Very well, it seems the people here will be of no use. Perhaps we can find one of Batface's people and "persude" them to help us.

Grimtina
2010-06-14, 08:43 PM
Easy enough, you find the fast talked who has welcomed you. He nods thoughtfully. "Normally I would not give directions to any such place, but you sure seem to know what you are doing." His eyes fall on the Eidolon.

"The Golden Goose is indeed in Scurvytown, although not far in. If you follow the docks east, you will find a place called The Broken Mug sitting at the end of a dock. Next to it, there is a small patch of coast where no one has built on. You'll find stairs there, leading down. If you go under the planks of the docks for a bit, you will see a cave-like entry. The whole place is underground, and well protected against water, too."

Looking you up and down, he adds "But I'd first find a place to stay and get myself less suspicious clothes, if you get my drift."

Salbazier
2010-06-17, 01:45 PM
"Allright, perhaps we can find an inn first, and a maybe a clothing store if needed, for you to change clothes. We'll need a place to stay anyway."

"Thanks for your aid, sir. If you don't mind doing another favor us can you tell us where we can find a decent inn in this city?"