PDA

View Full Version : Question about entangling (3.5 D&D)

Mystic Muse
2010-05-31, 01:29 PM
Well, I was wondering something. I seem to recall reading that if you use something to entangle a flying creature that they can no longer fly. However,I believe this only applies to creatures with wings or some other form of entanglable (Yeah I know it isn't a word.) limb.

Does this rule actually exist or did I make this up?

Zaq
2010-05-31, 01:35 PM
Well, I was wondering something. I seem to recall reading that if you use something to entangle a flying creature that they can no longer fly. However,I believe this only applies to creatures with wings or some other form of entanglable (Yeah I know it isn't a word.) limb.

Does this rule actually exist or did I make this up?

If you didn't make it up, it's certainly not under the DMG description of "Entangled." Of course, creatures with lower maneuverability need to travel a certain distance each round in order to not fall, and entangling might make that tricky, but it doesn't inherently ground flying things.

Marriclay
2010-05-31, 01:38 PM
if the rule doesn't exist it makes a perfectly justified housrule. I always assumed entanglement cut off flight, as well

Mystic Muse
2010-05-31, 01:56 PM
Well, I was asking because I planned on using entangling exhalation to get things to just drop out of the sky.

Also, can somebody point out where the rules for how fast you fall in a round are?

Starbuck_II
2010-05-31, 01:57 PM
Well, I was asking because I planned on using entangling exhalation to get things to just drop out of the sky.

Also, can somebody point out where the rules for how fast you fall in a round are?
SRD:
If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-31, 02:07 PM
SRD:
If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

Ah. Thanks. I think I can use this. I just need to find some way to reduce their speed by another foot.

Zaq
2010-05-31, 04:00 PM
Ah. Thanks. I think I can use this. I just need to find some way to reduce their speed by another foot.

If you're level 5 or better, Slow Breath. Assuming you're a DFA and not just some kind of Dragonborn or something.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-31, 04:04 PM
If you're level 5 or better, Slow Breath. Assuming you're a DFA and not just some kind of Dragonborn or something.

DFA? dragonfire adept?

Anxe
2010-05-31, 10:35 PM
The actual rule is in the PHB under the description of the effects of a Tanglefoot Bag.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-31, 10:42 PM
The actual rule is in the PHB under the description of the effects of a Tanglefoot Bag.

Though, as tanglefoot bag has a provision for entirely halting movement (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Tanglefoot_Bag) (while normal entanglement does not (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled)), the applicability of this as a general rule is questionable at best.