PDA

View Full Version : Eye of Gruumsh = Worth?

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-31, 03:00 PM
What do you guys think of the Eye of Gruumsh PrC? I like the whole seeing ones own death thing, and definitely like the fact you get a class feature centered around spitting at people :smalltongue:. How about you, good people of GiantITP?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-05-31, 03:05 PM
From what I recall, the PrC's crunch is "meh" at best. Free blindsight (or was it only blindsense?) is nice, but that's also an item. The feats for entry do not a good barbarian make. I'm looking at you Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Orc Double-axe).

Stevielash
2010-05-31, 03:11 PM
Good fluff but its not that great optimization wise,The blind fighting is nice as is the controlling other orcs ability. if your an orc or half orc (I think you have to be anyway:smalleek:) you may be able to convinve your DM into giving you the proficency for free which would lessen the cost.

Starbuck_II
2010-05-31, 04:54 PM
What do you guys think of the Eye of Gruumsh PrC? I like the whole seeing ones own death thing, and definitely like the fact you get a class feature centered around spitting at people :smalltongue:. How about you, good people of GiantITP?

Druids get a spitting spell (NO save/no SR) at 3rd level: Blinding spittle. Much better as you don't need to wait so many levels.

You need orc double axe (which isn't that good) and weapon focus with it.

He gets Rage and a bigger AC penalty while using it.

The class had good ideas, but not the best execution.

Pluto
2010-05-31, 06:13 PM
My group seems to have a collective love affair with the class. Which is weird, because it kinda sucks.

Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) does the same thing, but better and earlier -- even ignoring Wild Shape and spells with overt magic effects.

Il_Vec
2010-05-31, 06:18 PM
Sometime ago, a fellow gamer in my group played an Orc Eye of Gruumsh... He really liked the flavor, but he simply ignored the second blade of his Orc Double-Axe, acting more like a power-leaping 2-handed tank. He had a great time, we even killed the Tarrasq.

Gecks
2010-05-31, 07:54 PM
I've always wondered about the double-axe thing- wasn't Gruumsh's favored weapon the spear? That would seem to make a bit more sense as the weapon of his chosen warriors, at least to me... but then again I've never been exactly in love with the whole "double-weapon" shtick to begin with.

As for the power level, I would agree with what everyone else has said- not brutally horrible, but certainly not great. Fine for a low-op campaign if you like the flavour, of course.

Il_Vec
2010-05-31, 08:57 PM
The Orcs have this thing with their weapons...
Their god uses a Spear, their usual imagery is portrayed with Axes, the monster manual entry has a Falchion, and their race has given name to a Double-axe and a throwing fist-sized lump of iron. Weird.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-05-31, 09:06 PM
The Orcs have this thing with their weapons...
Their god uses a Spear, their usual imagery is portrayed with Axes, the monster manual entry has a Falchion, and their race has given name to a Double-axe and a throwing fist-sized lump of iron. Weird.

The weird thing would be expecting Wizards of the Coast to be consistent at all, honestly.