PDA

View Full Version : Arctic/Frozen races? or varients? (3.Xed D20))

Warpwolf16
2010-05-31, 04:54 PM
I picked up a copy of Frostburn saturday and finally had time to read through it. I've always love the 'ice age' concept brought on by magic or some other worldy force. I've seen some varients of races in the book and a few else where.

The question I have for you is is there any good races for a frostfell campaign? Besides the ones people know and any varients?

I've seen so far:
Snow Goblins
Snow Elves
Glacier Dwarves
Ice Gnomes
Uldra
Neanderthal
Tundra Halfling
Snow Orc's

Edited for additions to races:
Shifters-rare but there
Darfellans- decendents of Orca lycans? Yes please!
Urskans-a race for npc
Actic Dwarves

please help me playgrounder's, I'd like to know of choices before I start making the first adventure.

AstralFire
2010-05-31, 04:55 PM
Shifters work amazingly for the cold.

hamishspence
2010-05-31, 04:56 PM
Urskans (in Frostburn) might make a good NPC race- they are very similar to the armoured bears in Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

Warpwolf16
2010-05-31, 04:58 PM

Good point, shifters can exist any where...as long as lycan's breed with humans or other races.

So shifters would be good, though rare?

hamishspence
2010-05-31, 05:00 PM
Maybe some of the water races from Stormwrack?

If orcas are common in polar regions as well as the tropics, then the Darfellans (distant descendants of orca lycanthropes) wouldn't be out of place, either.

Warpwolf16
2010-05-31, 05:00 PM
Urskans (in Frostburn) might make a good NPC race- they are very similar to the armoured bears in Pillip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

Maybe some of the water races from Stormwrack?

If orcas are common in polar regions as well as the tropics, then the Darfellans (distant descendants of orca lycanthropes) wouldn't be out of place, either.

Owo....Just saw it...and noticed a giant bear clad in armor with a freaking hammer. Tht would make a excellent NPC as long as my players dont try to kill it and wear his skin as a coat...my players can jump to conclusions easily.. will add the the list

And good idea, I like that. Will have to order stormwrack though but seems worth it!

Vaynor
2010-05-31, 05:04 PM
Urskans (in Frostburn) might make a good NPC race- they are very similar to the armoured bears in Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials.

Or, even better, play as an actual panserbjørn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5017002#post5017002). :smallcool: But seeing as they're ECL 16, probably best as an NPC race as well. You could always reduce their power and make them a playable race (with LA and racial HD of course, but less).

hamishspence
2010-05-31, 05:06 PM
I love the nicknames the Environment series of books have gotten:

Frostburn: It's Cold Outside
Sandstorm: It's Hot Outside
Stormwrack: It's Wet Outside
Dungeonscape: It's Not Outside

(Can't remember Cityscape's- possibly It's Crowded Outside).

PId6
2010-05-31, 05:07 PM
There's a bunch of UA Arctic races here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticRaces).

Warpwolf16
2010-05-31, 05:12 PM
There's a bunch of UA Arctic races here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticRaces).

owo...I dont like using UA but will keep in mind >>

Myshlaevsky
2010-05-31, 05:41 PM

I think that's it, although I'm not sure if Cityscape has a generally accepted one. I always liked 'It's Inside Outside'.

hamishspence
2010-05-31, 05:48 PM
I kinda wish there was a Far Realms splatbook called Farscape- but that might have been a bit too similar to the name of the TV series.

Zuki
2010-05-31, 07:24 PM

I would like to second this--there's even a shifter subtype in one of the Eberrons supplements that gets bonuses to dealing with cold and cold environments.

Warpwolf16
2010-05-31, 10:29 PM
I would like to second this--there's even a shifter subtype in one of the Eberrons supplements that gets bonuses to dealing with cold and cold environments.

cool, do you know the title of said book?

any more idea's anyone Im still looking!?

Kantolin
2010-05-31, 10:54 PM
Would the variant races from unearthed arcana help?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticRaces

I haven't seen them listed, although I'm not sure where you got your (say) 'snow goblin' from.

Steveotep
2010-06-01, 10:12 AM
cool, do you know the title of said book?

any more idea's anyone Im still looking!?

SECRETS OF SARLONA p112 has a new shifting trait for arctic shifters.

Winterhide gives +2 Constitution, +1 natural armour and cold resistance 5 while shifting. It also gives +2 to Fortitude saves against extreme cold, which is probably on all the time, although the book is not clear on this.

Heliomance
2010-06-01, 10:30 AM

I think Cityscape and Dungeonscape fight over It's Not Outside.

Optimystik
2010-06-01, 10:34 AM
I think Cityscape and Dungeonscape fight over It's Not Outside.

Plenty of Cityscape is outdoors; just not in the wilderness.
As far as nicknames, I love The Book of Bad Latin. :smallbiggrin:

...what were we talking about again?

Steveotep
2010-06-01, 02:38 PM
Races of Farun has Arctic Dwarves (p9) with a hefty +2 LA.

They are mentioned in Frostburn p34.

hamishspence
2010-06-01, 02:43 PM
Planar Handbook also has Frost Dwarves- which are extraplanar, natives to the Ice Wastes (a layer of the Abyss).

So:

Midgard Dwarves
Arctic Dwarves (Races of Faerun)
Arctic Dwarves (SRD, Unearthed Arcana)
Glacier Dwarves
Frost Dwarves

Quite a lot of cold environment dwarf variants.

Optimystik
2010-06-01, 02:50 PM
Quite a lot of cold environment dwarf variants.

Ironforge is a bit nippy :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-06-01, 02:52 PM
Ironforge is a bit nippy :smallbiggrin:That explains the large water molten-iron-falls in the middle.

hamishspence
2010-06-01, 02:55 PM
Taers from Unapproachable East might do as a playable yeti-type race (more intelligent than Frostburn yeti- and have the Giant type).

Optimystik
2010-06-01, 02:56 PM
That explains the large water molten-iron-falls in the middle.

Facetiousness detector spiking :smalltongue:
(I meant all the snow, ice and high winds on the outside of the mountain, naturally.)

hamishspence
2010-06-01, 03:03 PM
Dragon 324 had an article (Chilled to the Bone) featuring some new arctic monsters:

Black Ice Golem (construct), Icy Prisoner (undead) Steaming Soldier (undead) Winterling (small winged fey)

The Wendigo template from Fiend Folio might also work well for an arctic campaign.

Warpwolf16
2010-06-01, 03:57 PM
Would the variant races from unearthed arcana help?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticRaces

I haven't seen them listed, although I'm not sure where you got your (say) 'snow goblin' from.

Im trying to avoid UA but like previously stated will keep in mind. ^^!

And Snow Goblis are on page 136-137 of Frostburn

Warpwolf16
2010-06-01, 03:59 PM
Dragon 324 had an article (Chilled to the Bone) featuring some new arctic monsters:

Black Ice Golem (construct), Icy Prisoner (undead) Steaming Soldier (undead) Winterling (small winged fey)

The Wendigo template from Fiend Folio might also work well for an arctic campaign.

ohhhh, I must find this little article then.

Wendigo, the favorite humanoid turn canibal >>...I will use this as a monster <<

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-01, 04:17 PM
ohhhh, I must find this little article then.

Wendigo, the favorite humanoid turn canibal >>...I will use this as a monster <<

Wendigo is a template that transforms you in a creepy, horrendous fey. Is very well made, in my opizion, and has few features that fit very well for a frozen, endless environment horror story.

Is great to harass players, to make it clear. :smallbiggrin:

Warpwolf16
2010-06-02, 04:13 PM
Wendigo is a template that transforms you in a creepy, horrendous fey. Is very well made, in my opizion, and has few features that fit very well for a frozen, endless environment horror story.

Is great to harass players, to make it clear. :smallbiggrin:

lol, can already picture the low level spirit shaman screaming as the spirits he wards feast on his flesh...yes, yes!

Jair Barik
2010-06-02, 04:18 PM
My first game on these boards was DMed by PId6. I played a sorcerer with silver dragon heritage and got harassed by Wendigo(s) no end. Needless to say fireballs were hurled and at times people thought he was crazy. Good mood and fun was had by all.

WarKitty
2010-06-02, 04:49 PM
Pick pretty much any monster that does elemental damage and re-flavor. E.g. I redid hellhounds once to do cold damage and named them "Ice Wolves" or somesuch. Works on pretty much anything.

Cealocanth
2010-06-02, 05:53 PM
Ice Dragons and White dragons work with their whole stereotype. Any form of hairy humanoid could be used for the cold, including Wolfmen and Werewolves. Also, Ice/water/air elementals. Dwarves tend to do good in cold enviornments as well.

Greenish
2010-06-02, 05:54 PM
Pick pretty much any monster that does elemental damage and re-flavor. E.g. I redid hellhounds once to do cold damage and named them "Ice Wolves" or somesuch. Works on pretty much anything.With so many cold-resistant/immune critters around, wouldn't it make more sense if they did fire damage?