PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Horizon Walker Planar Terrains?

koeldflare
2010-05-31, 05:46 PM
Hey playgrounders, just wondering if you could answer a query of mine. I was wondering if anyone has ever published any additional planar terrains available for the Horizon Walker PrC? I'm currently taking it and am about to hit level 6 in it and, although there are a lot of options, wondering if any other planar areas have been created?

I know there are many planes in the D&D cosmos, and seeing some be used by one of my fav PrC's would be awesome.

Thanks guys!

gorfnab
2010-05-31, 09:24 PM
I have not seen any other planes mentioned for Horizon Walker in any other books. You best bet for your first two planes are Shifting and Cavernous. After that Aligned, Fiery, and Cold would be your next best options. Weightless really doesn't come up that much unless your group really loves the Astral Plane. There is an option that allows you to create a Planar option for the Horizon Walker but you would have to work that out with your DM on what ability would go with what plane you want.

Eldan
2010-06-01, 02:54 AM
Subjective gravity, perhaps, as an upgrade to weightless?

nedz
2010-06-01, 03:17 AM
The Playground seems to be as silent as the rules on this one.

Perhaps we could produce a list of planes which aren't covered ?
That might be a start ?

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-01, 06:32 AM
All the Outer Planes. The Ethereal and Shadow Planes. Assorted Quasi & Para Elemental Planes. (http://www.angelfire.com/il3/Paganopolis/planes.html)

This might actually be a good resource, I'll try and think of some.

Prodan
2010-06-01, 07:10 AM
The Playground seems to be as silent as the rules on this one.

Perhaps we could produce a list of planes which aren't covered ?
That might be a start ?

The Far Realms

nedz
2010-06-01, 07:12 AM
Aargh - Yellow text on White: what plane is that from :smallbiggrin: ?

The outer planes are sort of covered by the Aligned / Shifting whatsit.
Your link doesn't mention positive or negative material planes ?
Nor some of the stuff from planar sheperd, which is probably as well : Time plane anyone ? (though immune to Timestop perhaps ?)

Anyway I made a little list

Elemental planes
Air Done-Weightless
Earth Done-Cavernous
Fire Done-Fire Res
Water
Positive
Negative
Elemental planes (Para).
Ice Done-Cold Res
Magma Fire Res ?
Ooze
Smoke Fire Res ?

Positive quasi-elements
Lightning Easy to do
Mineral Cavernous ?
Radiance Fire Res ?
Steam Fire Res ?

Negative quasi-elements
Ash Fire Res ?
Dust
Salt
Vacuum

Ethereal plane
Etheric plane
Physical/Prime plane
"The Shroud"

Realms in the Astral
Akaishic records
Baator
Limbo
The Rift
The Well spring

Eldan
2010-06-01, 07:53 AM
Well, then. Things you could include:

Smoke and similar: the ability to breathe tainted air, and a resistance against gaseous spells, effects and poisons
Water: water breathing would be an obvious one, as would a swim speed.

For the outer planes, a lot of the inner planar traits would also be helpful, but I also recommend a kind of disease and poison resistance, help with strongly aligned planes and, very importantly, help against the trapping effects of Elysium and the Grey Wastes.

Also flavourful, but probably less helpful: help with navigating on planes with variable distances, directions and times, such as the outlands.

Killer Angel
2010-06-01, 08:12 AM
You should work'em out with your DM.
Once, I've made some, with correlated abilities. If I'm remembering right, they listed things like:
Negative-quasi elements: The Walker knows how to resist, for a little time, the energy negative effects (death ward)

Then, in some planes, magic works in a wild/impredictable way (DMG pag. 168 “Additional traits – Dead magic”). 1/day, the Walker can activate an effect similar to a "Globe of Invulnerability - lesser", that follows the Walker and is limited to him.

nedz
2010-06-01, 08:31 AM
Well, then. Things you could include:

Smoke and similar: the ability to breathe tainted air, and a resistance against gaseous spells, effects and poisons
Water: water breathing would be an obvious one, as would a swim speed.
I thought about smoke, but a more general adaption to gases is interesting,
Standard Aquatic master gets you +4 Swim and (if you have one) +10' swim speed. It doesn't give you a swim speed however. So an improved aquatic trait then ? Which begs the question: why not have improved versions of the other terrain masteries ? Earth to give you a burrow speed, Air for flight etc.

For the outer planes, a lot of the inner planar traits would also be helpful, but I also recommend a kind of disease and poison resistance, help with strongly aligned planes and, very importantly, help against the trapping effects of Elysium and the Grey Wastes.
Disease and Poison are interesting, Aligned Plane Planer Terrain Mastery already does the alignment stuff. Would Freedom of movement help with Elysium and the Grey Wastes ?

Also flavourful, but probably less helpful: help with navigating on planes with variable distances, directions and times, such as the outlands.
Good idea.

koeldflare
2010-06-01, 03:11 PM
Wow! I'm really surprised at the support that everyone is giving to this PrC! I find it's an under-appreciated gem in the core books, and in a little need of some updating.

I was thinking about an alternate time planar trait as well:

Altered Time (Planar): You become immune to any negative effect that would be caused by an unnatural flow of time. This makes you immune to all magical aging effects, as well as the slow spell and any ability that mimics it. Also, whenever someone within 15 ft/level cast a spell that allows additional actions due to fluctuating time (such as Time Stop) you may act in these rounds as well. You are still subject to all the standard rules of the spell, and if either character ends the spell early (for example, by attacking someone) then the spell ends for all parties.

Does this sound cool, or do people feel it's broken?

Eldan
2010-06-01, 03:44 PM
Freedom of Movement would not help, no, the effects are purely mental.

Basically: Elysium is so perfect that a character has to do will saves against compulsion or be unable to leave.

Hades slowly drains away your emotions until you become either depressive to the point of near-catatonia, or an unemotional, cold, sadistic bastard.

nedz
2010-06-01, 04:13 PM
Freedom of Movement would not help, no, the effects are purely mental.

Basically: Elysium is so perfect that a character has to do will saves against compulsion or be unable to leave.

Hades slowly drains away your emotions until you become either depressive to the point of near-catatonia, or an unemotional, cold, sadistic bastard.

It seems that Outsiders are Immune to these. Could you have a planer terrain mastery which ment you were considered an outsider ? What other effects would this have ?