PDA

View Full Version : The Planeswalker (3.5 Homebrew) Class

DMBlackhart
2010-05-31, 06:14 PM
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/5572/wikis/page-3

So the class is BIG, really big. And I don't wanna take the time to try and convert all the tables to the Gitp format. So I will just link it. The site it's on is Obsidian portal, and is totally safe.

Anyways I want critique. Please bear in mind while critiquing the class that it IS supposed to be slightly more powerful then normal D&D classes. (This is for 2 reasons)

The first being the class is normally assumed to be used in a stand alone world, or by skilled DMs who can incorporate other classes in the same team without too much party imbalance.

The other is that the class is at least attempting to reflect the idea of a "Magic the gathering" planeswalker. And therefore has to be slightly more powerful then your average bear.

Anyways thanks again and sorry if this is a pain in the ass to read.

DMBlackhart
2010-06-01, 11:58 AM
Wow, really no one is interested? (or is it just a slow weekend....)

Deathdarken
2010-06-01, 07:45 PM
Wow, really no one is interested? (or is it just a slow weekend....)

sweet magic the gathering that is going to be hard to do though

DMBlackhart
2010-06-01, 07:46 PM
Heh. Thanks, thats sort of critique. And yeah, I am putting the class to the test in a game soon.

Deathdarken
2010-06-01, 07:47 PM
Heh. Thanks, thats sort of critique. And yeah, I am putting the class to the test in a game soon.there got to be epic abilities for them

Magikeeper
2010-06-01, 09:26 PM
I'm still reading it. This may take awhile.

DMBlackhart
2010-06-07, 01:16 AM
Bump. LOTS of stuff edited. So hopefully it's not as much of an Eye-sore.

not sure if it's balanced yet, so still looking for critique.

Anithexx
2010-06-07, 02:09 PM
Black's minor trick seems a little to powerful to me (I'd go with fear or shaken), I'd also have blues Major trick reduce a target to one standard action instead of -20 movement, also black major ability is again to strong either a larger area affect fear or instant kill no higher than 5 hd.

Finally I didn't feel that Diverse Training fit the character type you are trying to build (though I haven't played magic in years and I only read the first book) how about replacing it with synergy bonuses for duel colors or "gold" cards?

DMBlackhart
2010-06-07, 02:24 PM
Black's minor trick seems a little to powerful to me (I'd go with fear or shaken), I'd also have blues Major trick reduce a target to one standard action instead of -20 movement, also black major ability is again to strong either a larger area affect fear or instant kill no higher than 5 hd.

Finally I didn't feel that Diverse Training fit the character type you are trying to build (though I haven't played magic in years and I only read the first book) how about replacing it with synergy bonuses for duel colors or "gold" cards?

Keeping diverse training. Also fixed the tricks considerably.

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 09:33 PM
Keeping diverse training. Also fixed the tricks considerably.

It seemed....long. Hehe. But no, seriously I think you've done a good job of converting one from the other.

I can't say I'm a big fan but -only one reason- I love Planeswalkers. I don't think any D and D class could do them justice. They're practically gods.

However balance wise you've done a pretty kick ass job of bringing them in line with the rule set haven't you? Kudos!

DMBlackhart
2010-06-07, 09:58 PM
Graci my friend.

having embarked on this task had led me to a number of other projects as well. I am now tasking myself with statting out as much of the MtG-verse as possible!

(Meening statting/mapping out the planes, converting the races, making unique equipment/artifacts/etc)

Regardless, my next major step for the planeswalker is to make 2 prestige classes for it. The first will focus on a single mana color and learn to abuse it in glorious ways (alloting to the "god-like quality" of planeswalkers) The latter will focus on mixed-color planeswalkers. (those who either manipulatle multiple energies at once for FAR weirder effects, or simply have an inclination towards two colors as is)

But again, thanks for the compliments!

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 10:02 PM
Graci my friend.

having embarked on this task had led me to a number of other projects as well. I am now tasking myself with statting out as much of the MtG-verse as possible!

(Meening statting/mapping out the planes, converting the races, making unique equipment/artifacts/etc)

Regardless, my next major step for the planeswalker is to make 2 prestige classes for it. The first will focus on a single mana color and learn to abuse it in glorious ways (alloting to the "god-like quality" of planeswalkers) The latter will focus on mixed-color planeswalkers. (those who either manipulatle multiple energies at once for FAR weirder effects, or simply have an inclination towards two colors as is)

But again, thanks for the compliments!

I would love to see a Black/White Planeswalker.

Can you imagine the insanity character you could play? A two sided persona Planeswalker who destroys, but then instantly regrets and tries to heal?

This would be the ULTIMATE rpg character to play. *droolage* I expect you to alert me to this design lol.

DMBlackhart
2010-06-07, 10:08 PM
I would love to see a Black/White Planeswalker.

Can you imagine the insanity character you could play? A two sided persona Planeswalker who destroys, but then instantly regrets and tries to heal?

This would be the ULTIMATE rpg character to play. *droolage* I expect you to alert me to this design lol.

Lol I will be sure to keep you in touch on further updates, as they come.

As it stands im looking more towards making more spell seeds. Of which the prestige classes will have none.

As it stands it looks like the prestige classes will have a number of ways to enhance, adapt, and alter existing seeds in order to create the more limited, yet amazing abilities that is expected by focused planeswalkers.

(one example is my attempt at making that cold-fire that Jace and The Red Chick (im bad with names) made at the eye of ugin. That could be done by a Red/Blue planeswalker easily, and would be devestating in that it'll not only freese the enemy solid, but tear their flesh away molecule by molecule.)

Anyways, I will be sure to keep you in the loop man. :p

zenanarchist
2010-06-07, 10:12 PM
Lol I will be sure to keep you in touch on further updates, as they come.

Anyways, I will be sure to keep you in the loop man. :p

Please do! Also I'm crap with names too! I just know Teferi Planeswalker as he was by far my favourite.